Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe Milk-Free Apple Cinnamon Scones

Posted by cathy_in_pa (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 18:26

Background: Skip ahead if you just want the recipe. I'm sure if we polled forum members, it would be evident that many families deal with food restrictions. Our family's diet modifications include Type 1 Diabetes, lactose intolerance, milk allergy, nut allergy, and GERD. There is other garbage, but the list gets too long:)

After making some streusel muffins one day, I overheard my daughter's boyfriend ask her if she thought they had milk. He was fine when I told him that they did; I, of course, felt horrible because, well, I am my mother's daughter, and I want everyone to be well-fed. Thus, started my quest for cinnamon "somethings" that looked and tasted good. I ended up with King Arthur Apple Cinnamon Scones using homemade milk-free cinnamon chips.

My notes are in blue

Cinnamon Chips (http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2012/03/04/diy-cinnamon-chips/)
Cook Time: 35 minutes
about 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients

2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon I used Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 200 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray paper with a no-stick cooking spray. Use a lighter hand with the no-stick spray. When finished baking, excess spray had pooled around edges of mixture on the parchment. I blotted and it was fine, but less next time.In a medium-size bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon vegetable shortening, and corn syrup until totally combined and crumbly. I put in mini food-processor and processed until mixed.

2. Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet, flattening out with another sheet of parchment paper or the back of a spatula into a rectangle about 1/4" thick.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and melted together. It shouldn't be crisp. Let cool completely.

4. Use a pizza wheel to slice the cooled block into small square chips. I made 1/4" squares. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. They should keep for a long period of time, just like any other baking chips. Except, I kept eating these.

______________________________________________________________________ __

King Arthur Apple Cinnamon Scones (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fresh-apple-cinnamon-scones-recipe)

Scones
2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or ground cinnamon None on hand. I substituted 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. allspice, pinch of cloves
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter Fleischmann's unsalted margarine in freezer `15 minutes
3/4 cup chopped fresh apple, in 1/2" pieces (about half a medium apple); leave the skin on, if you like I peeled
3/4 cup cinnamon chips
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I added ~1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred

Topping
3 tablespoons coarse white sparkling sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
I substituted some dark brown and white sugar and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon

1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spice.

2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.

3) Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips.

4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce and lemon zest.

5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.

6) Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don't have parchment, just use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan.

7) Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Gently pat and round each half into a 5" to 5 1/2" circle about 3/4" thick.

8) To make the topping: Stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. Brush each circle with milk I just sprinkled/patted without milk , and sprinkle with the topping.

9) Using a knife or bench knife that you've run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges.

10) Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer edges. I did this wrong and separated them. It's okay

11) For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered King Arthur website explains why -- it works, plus you can clean up. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425 F.

12) Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they're golden brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the way through; the edge shouldn't look wet or unbaked.

13) Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to several days.
Yield: 12 scones.

It's obvious that I'm no photographer -- If you want to see how beautiful they can look, go to King Arthur:)

Worth the effort to make a milk-free young man happy:)

Cathy in SWPA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe Milk-Free Apple Cinnamon Scones

You could also substitute cold coconut oil, or even cold shortening, for cold butter (plus a little butter flavoring if you missed the buttery flavor).

The ingredients list on the Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine was something I'd personally avoid eating, or serving to anyone else, even if it is dairy-free. I avoid soy products like the plague. Soy beans are one of the most highly processed foods in the world which includes all kinds of chemicals, along with being a common allergen up there with wheat and dairy as well as hormone-disrupting properties.

I'm fortunate our lactose intolerant family members can consume small mounts of butter because the higher the fat content of a dairy product, the lower the lactose. But a milk allergy is a different "beast", indeed. I've made rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk and nut milk as substitutes, and they are all easy to make yourself.

I wonder if you could bake the cinnamon chips on a Silpat or a sheet of non-stick foil and not need the cooking spray covered parchment? That looks like something I would try using coconut oil and Lyle's Golden Syrup. I just got a pound of Ceylon Cinnamon from The Spice House and the cinnamon chips might be a fun add-in for fall baking.

I have addressed most of the food challenges you do, so I understand how rewarding it is to find something that fits the bill. :-)

-Grainlady

o

Just in case no one told you yet today, Grainlady, you are so appreciated!

Since I know you’ll understand, ironically, I didn’t continue in the background section a possible soy allergy/intolerance that needs testing (mine:) I’m the one with the nut allergy too. There’s possible fructose intolerance with FODMAP diet exploration going on also:) On the positive side, there’s a high level of appreciation when we find something that works for everyone.

Yes, the milk allergy is a game changer and has expanded my horizons. I make Sourdough biscuits for him (revised adding more flour) and am going to experiment trying it with shortening/butter flavoring instead of margarine based on your comments. As an aside, we're a family of runners. This young man will participate in the Boston half-marathon next weekend and can polish off a recipe of biscuits with bowls of minestrone like no other:)

Interesting about the Silpat/non-stick foil for the cinnamon chips (read one poster in the comments asking about that but no response) I’m going to try some modifications now that I’ve made a batch per specifications. I’ve never purchased cinnamon chips and can’t make a comparison, but I will say these are very good and baked very well. I'd recommend giving it a whirl since you have a healthy supply of cinnamon!

Grainlady said “I have addressed most of the food challenges you do, so I understand how rewarding it is to find something that fits the bill. :-) “ True words! Thanks for your sharing your exceptional insight -- it is truly appreciated, informative and encouraging.

o

Cathy - thank you so much for posting that! My daughter has a milk protein allergy so we are no dairy and some things comes out great with substituting with soy milk, but I don't really want to add to much soy to things so rarely do that and try to find other recipes where I don't have to do that.

If you don't mind I'd love to have your modifications for the biscuits.

I'm hoping really high though that come December 4th she will pass her baked goods challenge so we don't have to worry about that portion anymore and maybe just the raw parts. Easier when it comes to eating out and I'm afraid she will be picky if I can't expose her to lots of different things.

o

I hope you try these, lyfia, and I'm wishing you and your daughter good test results come this December. I can empathize. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but my daughter went through a year-long dairy elimination when she was in middle school. An endoscopy finally indicated lactose intolerance and also GERD. As an aside, yesterday she combined a few of the remaining cinnamon chips with animal crackers (milk free) and declared the combination "delicious." She's 22 now:)

My modifications for the sourdough biscuits are pretty simple: I add approximately 1/4 additional flour (sometimes needed/sometimes not) and add `1/2 tsp of sugar:) That's what seems to work for my sourdough -- yours may be different. In any event, these are quick, easy and use up a nice bit of starter. I am going to try them with shortening based on Grainlady's advice. BTW, my son eats these with honey:)

Lastly, I saw these cookies today Brown Eyed Baker - Honey Peanut Butter Cookies that use vegetable shortening. These are next on my list.

Good luck with the baked goods challenge -- that will certainly be one really wonderful test to pass:)

Cathy in SWPA

o

Thanks Cathy!!

o

BTW Cathy - not sure what the reason for dairy free is, but the Fleischmann's isn't really dairy free as it contains whey - a dairy protein.

I just wanted to mention it just in case. Whey is one of the proteins my daughter is allergic to. I noticed when looking at the grocery store today.

o

I'm glad you checked, Lyfia. Apparently, there seems to be some differences in ingredients (perhaps geographic?). I took a picture of my unsalted margarine label bought two weeks ago, and I don't see any whey (sorry so large and sideways).

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm glad you read the label. I'm going to give the shortening a try anyways.

Good luck -- Cathy in SWPA

o

Cathy - must be a regional thing. I've got Vegan margarine to use instead. Just haven't had time to do anything yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here