SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_in_pa

Recipe Milk-Free Apple Cinnamon Scones

Cathy_in_PA
10 years ago

Background: Skip ahead if you just want the recipe. I'm sure if we polled forum members, it would be evident that many families deal with food restrictions. Our family's diet modifications include Type 1 Diabetes, lactose intolerance, milk allergy, nut allergy, and GERD. There is other garbage, but the list gets too long:)

After making some streusel muffins one day, I overheard my daughter's boyfriend ask her if she thought they had milk. He was fine when I told him that they did; I, of course, felt horrible because, well, I am my mother's daughter, and I want everyone to be well-fed. Thus, started my quest for cinnamon "somethings" that looked and tasted good. I ended up with King Arthur Apple Cinnamon Scones using homemade milk-free cinnamon chips.

My notes are in blue

Cinnamon Chips (http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2012/03/04/diy-cinnamon-chips/)
Cook Time: 35 minutes
about 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients

2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon I used Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 200 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray paper with a no-stick cooking spray. Use a lighter hand with the no-stick spray. When finished baking, excess spray had pooled around edges of mixture on the parchment. I blotted and it was fine, but less next time.In a medium-size bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon vegetable shortening, and corn syrup until totally combined and crumbly. I put in mini food-processor and processed until mixed.

2. Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet, flattening out with another sheet of parchment paper or the back of a spatula into a rectangle about 1/4" thick.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and melted together. It shouldn't be crisp. Let cool completely.

4. Use a pizza wheel to slice the cooled block into small square chips. I made 1/4" squares. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. They should keep for a long period of time, just like any other baking chips. Except, I kept eating these.

King Arthur Apple Cinnamon Scones (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fresh-apple-cinnamon-scones-recipe)

Scones
2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or ground cinnamon None on hand. I substituted 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. allspice, pinch of cloves
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter Fleischmann's unsalted margarine in freezer `15 minutes
3/4 cup chopped fresh apple, in 1/2" pieces (about half a medium apple); leave the skin on, if you like I peeled
3/4 cup cinnamon chips
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I added ~1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred

Topping
3 tablespoons coarse white sparkling sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
I substituted some dark brown and white sugar and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon

1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spice.

2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.

3) Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips.

4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce and lemon zest.

5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.

6) Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don't have parchment, just use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan.

7) Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Gently pat and round each half into a 5" to 5 1/2" circle about 3/4" thick.

8) To make the topping: Stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. Brush each circle with milk I just sprinkled/patted without milk , and sprinkle with the topping.

9) Using a knife or bench knife that you've run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges.

10) Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer edges. I did this wrong and separated them. It's okay

11) For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered King Arthur website explains why -- it works, plus you can clean up. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425 F.

12) Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they're golden brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the way through; the edge shouldn't look wet or unbaked.

13) Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to several days.
Yield: 12 scones.

It's obvious that I'm no photographer -- If you want to see how beautiful they can look, go to King Arthur:)

Worth the effort to make a milk-free young man happy:)

Cathy in SWPA

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm