Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October New Recipes

Posted by tracey_oh (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 17:20

I apologize if there is already a thread going....I searched back to the September threads and didn't see one. Here's my latest find. Apple Cider Doughnut Cake. On a whim I bought some spiced apple cider from Trader Joe's then searched for a recipe to use it all as I was the only person actually drinking the cider! This recipe used a method I've never tried before. Cooking the apples in the cider then pureeing them for the cake. So basically making an applesauce. The cake is covered with a cinnamon sugar mixture which we liked but I think a cinnamon glaze would put it over the top!!

Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
from Serious Eats
For the Cake:
9 tablespoons (4 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large Granny Smith apple (about 8 ounces), peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups (about 12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
3/4 cup (about 5 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
Procedures
For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350�F. Grease Bundt pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
In medium saucepan, bring chopped apple and cider to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until most of the cider has been absorbed and apples are easily smashed with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cool 5 minutes, then pulse in food processor until pureed. Measure out 1 cup apple mixture and stir in milk; set aside.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and mace; set aside.
In large bowl, beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.
Decrease mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with apple mixture, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Increase speed to medium and beat mixture just until combined, about 20 seconds. Add vanilla and beat once more, just to combine, about 10 seconds.
Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean, rotating cake halfway through baking, 30 to 35 minutes total. Transfer cake to cooling rack set inside baking sheet and cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert directly onto cooling rack.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating: Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle warm cake with cinnamon sugar, using fingers to rub it onto sides.
Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October New Recipes

That cake looks good, Tracy!

I made a new recipe from Cooking light tonight,

Pan-Fried Shrimp with Creole Mayonnaise

Ingredients
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt-free Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's), divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fat-free milk
3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise I used regular Hellman's
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Preparation
1. Combine flour, 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, and salt in a shallow dish. Pour milk into a shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture; dip in milk. Dredge shrimp in breadcrumbs; shake off excess breading.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of shrimp; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and shrimp.
3. Combine mayonnaise, remaining Creole seasoning, Worcestershire, and hot sauce in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Serve Creole mayonnaise with shrimp.

The flavor was good but the breadcrumbs did not stay on the shrimp during frying. If I ever make them again I will try egg rather than milk for the dip after the dredge.

Linda

o

Yum, Tracey, it does look good!

I made some chai spiced cupcakes yesterday and they were good, but the frosting needs some work. I haven't decided if it's too sweet, or too spicy, or both. I'll post the recipe when I think I have it right!

Annie

o

I made this four days ago for an Oktoberfest party.....I love it. So did everyone else.
My apple cider was less than good so I reduced it by half and it came out great.

APPLE CIDER POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

ICING:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together all dry
ingredients; set aside. Combine cider and vanilla. Add dry ingredients
alternately with cider mixture to batter. Mix until well blended. Spoon into a
greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan.

Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
center comes out clean.

Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While cake is warm, drizzle half of icing over
cake. Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings if desired.

o

I attend an annual Halloween potluck. I aways take something different and often untried. This year I made this:

Warm Chicken Sausage & Potato Salad

From EatingWell: January/February 2007, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)

This super simple bistro-style salad is substantial with potatoes, arugula and chicken sausage.

4 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each : Active Time: 30 minutes : Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 pound small potatoes, cut in half
1 5-ounce bag arugula (about 4 cups, gently packed)
12 ounces precooked chicken sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon whole-grain or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation

Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam, covered, until just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add arugula; cover with foil to keep warm.

Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until browned and heated through, about 5 minutes. Add to the potato-arugula mixture.

Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in vinegar, maple syrup and mustard, scraping up any browned bits. Gradually whisk in oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the arugula is wilted. Season with pepper.

My notes: I wanted to roast the potatoes whole and then cut them in half but didn't have the time. But will do that next time. I tripled the recipe for the potluck. I tasted the dressing and doubled both the maple syrup and the olive oil. I also added a bit of salt to the dressing along with the ground pepper.

I thought it was quite good. I used chicken apple Chardonnay sausages from Trader Joe and whole grain Dijon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Chicken Sausage & Potato Salad

o
Fat Free Pumpkin "Brownies"

I made this yesterday, looking for something autumnal. And they are very good.

It was quite a hit with my seven year old grandson, who is a picky eater, he just ate and ate them.

Made with egg beaters and applesauce, it's fat free, and very light. It's like gingerbread, but we had to call it pumpkin brownies to give him some context.

Pumpkin Bars

1 cup Egg Beaters OR 4 eggs
1 1/2 cups brown sugar Splenda or 1 2/3 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened) OR 1 cup canola oil
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat 1 cup AP flour
(1 tsp vanilla)
1 - 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

I add:
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Mix the Egg Beaters, sugar, applesauce and pumpkin with a mixer until light and fluffy. Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, spices and baking soda into another bowl.
Pour flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix until incorporated and smooth.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and level out the batter.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pan or frosting.

Would be good with frosting, but confections sugar or whipped cream from the can is perfect, too.

At least 18 servings

Calories-134, Carb-29gm, Fat-0, Protein-3gm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here