SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

Jägerschnitzel Recipe?

maggie2094
16 years ago

I know how to do the cutlet part but never made the gravy. Brown sauce...mushrooms - like a hunter sauce? I googled but see recipes with tomato paste and sour cream - doesn't seem right but I don't know for sure... Anyone have an authentic recipe?

Thanks!

-Maggie

Comments (19)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Maggie....
    There's one on the German site Marions Kochbook and it looks authentic.
    If you don't find another good recipe I can translate it for you by tomorrow afternoon.
    This one uses chanterelles, mushrooms, creme fraiche, onions, broth and no tomato sauce.

Have a look at the German version at the link below.

She does have some German recipes already translated into English but I don't see this one there.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Jägerschnitzel at Marions Kochbuch

• kathyskitchen
    16 years ago

I never heard of this but it sounds good!

jägerschnitzel from Epicurious

Submitted by vabchn8v
    November 17, 2005

1 lb. boneless pork or veal cutlets
    2 eggs (beaten)
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    oil
    2 oz bacon (diced)
    4 oz onions (chopped)
    8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup dry wine
    dash of thyme
    pepper
    salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 Tbsp parsley
    2 Tbsp sour cream

Step 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them. Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with bread crumbs. Place cutlets into skillet and fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes on each side). Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy.

Step 2. Sauté bacon and onions until golden brown. Add tomato paste and mushrooms, and sauté over a low heat. Add wine, water and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Pour over Schnitzel just before serving.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Kathy....
    Jaegerschnitel is a delicious pork or veal cutlet with a gravy that's out of this world when it's properly made. :-)

Here's a pic I took last year in a good German restaurant here which served their jaegerschnitzel with spaetzle.....mmm!
    And if I remember correctly theirs had bacon as well as chanterelles in the sauce.

SharonCb

• kathyskitchen
    16 years ago

Sharon, What a good idea to take pictures of great meals. Happy memories are so often connected to food. This does look yummy.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    16 years ago

Ohhh, that is one of my most favorite meals when we're in Germany. There's a family-owned hotel we stay at in Ramstein. When we order this we sit in the restaurant and can hear the chef pounding the meat in the kitchen! The mushroom gravy is soooo good, and the spaetzle is delicious.

I am going to try my hand at this on the weekend (with an apple/cheddar crisp for dessert lol!)

seagrass

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, thank you. I did make a similar version of what you posted Kathy - good but not what we have had in German restaurants.

CB - if not too much trouble I would appreciate the translation - but don't worry if your too busy. Your photo has me totally craving...

Seagrass - that does sound like the perfect dessert pairing. Now a big glass of Warsteiner!

• jessyf
    16 years ago

oh I'm going to get in trouble for this one

Isn't there a recipe for Jagerschnitzel gravy in 'Blazing Saddles'?

• palmettogal
    16 years ago

YUM!!!! Jagerschnitzel was the very first dish I tried after leaving the train station in Frankfurt. We also took pictures of our plates. It was fabulous. I'll have to try the recipe above and see what happens. I, too, have looked for an authentic recipe without success. My daughter, while in Germany, bought me a German cookbook that was printed, of all places, in Colorado!!! :)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Maggie....sorry I'm a little late...yesterday was a long and busy day for me lol!

Here's my translation of the recipe from Marions Kochbuch. There are a couple of things here that may not be clear. The recipe uses a stock powder as well as a dark gravy thickener. I would think that any good stock cube would be okay for the first and although I'm not familiar with N.American gravy thickeners, I know that {{gwi:1476482}} - from England - is one used often over here, as well as some German brands. It thickens and darkens a gravy. So here is the recipe, with a little help from my German DH, Wolf.
    The blue hyperlinks take you to photos of the ingredient....text is in German.

JÃGERSCHNITZEL - HUNTER'S CUTLET

1 lb (454 grams)pork schnitzel
    2 TBS shortening
    fresh ground pepper & salt
    1 TBS shortening
    1/2 lb button mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
    1 tin chanterelles (ready to use)
    1/2 onion, minced
    1/2 cup water
    1 teasp instant stock powder (or 1 stock cube)
    2 teasp dark gravy thickener
    1 TBS creme fraiche
    1 lb french fries (prepare ahead)

Best for schnitzel is a tender pork escalope.

1. Heat 2 TBS shortening in a frying pan and carefully brown schnitzel 3 to 4 minutes per side.
    Season with salt and pepper and be careful not to overcook. Remove schnitzel from pan and keep warm.

2. Put chanterelles in a sieve and rinse under running water, letting them drain well.
    Heat 1 TBS shortening in the same pan and brown the button mushrooms.
    Then add chanterelles to the pan with the mushrooms along with the minced half onion.
    Cook until browned.

3. Add water to the pan and season with salt, pepper and instant stock powder.
    Let sauce cook then add the dark gravy thickener.

4. Reduce temperature and when the sauce stops bubbling, add the creme fraiche.
    Pour sauce over the schnitzel. Serve with crispy french fries.

Translated from Marions Kochbuch

My notes: Although I haven't tried this recipe, the Jaegerschnitzel I had in the restaurant (photo above in this thread) included small pieces of bacon in the gravy and it was wonderful!

SharonCb

• ann_t
    16 years ago

I love it made with Pork Tenderloin. I had a German boyfriend many years ago and that is what is mother made it with.

I make a mushroom sauce by just browning the mushrooms, seasoning with shallots and garlic, and flour and for liquid I use chicken broth. If I want it richer I add a little cream.

• acorn
    16 years ago

OH! Looks so good.

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharoncb, thank you so much for the translation - I really appreciate it and can't wait to make it - DH will be a happy boy!

Ann, can you email your meal? LOL

• gfc56
    11 years ago

j�gerschnitzel from Epicurious

I made this version. 5 stars

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Wow! I don't recall ever having a sauce or gravy on Jeagerschnitzel... I only put a squeeze of lemon on it. I may have to give the above ideas a try.

Great ideas everyone!

Alexa

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Alexa - Sounds like you mean Wienerschnitzel. I think Jaegerschnitzel by definition has the mushroom sauce.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

And gfc56 - Since you brought back a 5 year old post to recommend the Epicurious recipe, could you link it? I just searched there and the best I could come up with is 5 Schnitzel recipes, none of which are Jaegerschnitzel. Help! :)

• caliloo
    11 years ago

You're right FOAS... that is what I get for spending a few days away from here. The brain disconnects! LOL!

Anyway, it still sounds like something I need to make.

Alexa

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Don't worry, Alexa, obviously my brain's disconnected, too: The Epicurious recipe is posted above. I guess it's no longer on the site, or at least not obvious enough for me to find.

Think I'm going to try some mix of all of the above.

• Clarion
    11 years ago

I lived in Germany for 10 years, and this was always one of my favorites. I was in sales and traveled constantly so I ate them everywhere and in every region. All told, I probably ate about a thousand of them!

There are many subtle variations, but the two biggest variations are whether the schnitzel is first deep fried (i.e. like a Wienersnitzle) or pan fried, and whether a touch of cream is added to the sauce. The cut of meat is pretty important, but hard to find in the U.S. It is cut from the hind leg (or Fresh Ham), which here is used almost exclusively for cured hams. Occasionally, when I feel very nostalgic, I'll buy a Fresh Ham and cut some schnitzels myself. Yum! Otherwise, I tend to go with center cut pork chops. Just be careful not to over-cook these or they get nasty/dry. They are sometimes made with veal in Germany, but it is a rarity.

Anyway, I consider myself a J�gerschnitzel expert, and after much experimentation, here is my version for an authentic one:

Serves 2:

2 pork schnitzels (cut from the fresh ham or the top round)
    2-4 tbsp butter
    2 cartons mushrooms, sliced
    150g Chanterelle mushrooms or other wild mushrooms
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional)
    1-1/2 cups beef stock (may add some dried Porcini)
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 tbsp flour
    2 tbsp Creme fraiche or cream
    1 tsp salt

Instructions:

In a small sauce pan heat 1-3/4 cups water with bouillon cubes and dried mushrooms to make stock.

Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp butter in a heavy pan
    Pound, then dredge the schnitzels in flour and sear over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side until 3/4 cooked. Be careful not to overcook.
    Remove from heat and season with salt/pepper and keep warm.

Using the same pan (add more butter if needed) saute the garlic, onions and mushrooms until lightly browned. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of Wondra flour and cook a minute or two until the flour is no longer raw.

Now strain the broth from the small pan, discarding the dried mushrooms. Add 1-1/2 cups broth and 1/2 cup wine to the sauteed mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer until somewhat reduced.

Stir in the cream.

Taste for salt.

Return the schnitzel to the pan for a few minutes to absorb the sauce and finish cooking the meat.

Serve with Sp�tzle or french fries and a salad, or green peas.

Sp�tzle
    300 g Flour
    â cup water (125 ml)
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch turmeric
    Bring a large pot of water to boil.

Mix the ingredients together in a bowl until a moist dough results. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Run the dough through a potato press held over the boiling water, allowing the dough to drip out in pieces. Let boil 10 minutes.

Drain spaetzle in a colander, then mix with butter to prevent sticking. Allow to cool.

Fry the buttery spatzle in a skillet until slightly crispy.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!