SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Recipes using maple syrup~please add yours..:o)

Terri_PacNW
15 years ago

Here's the two Annie posted on macthayer's thread.

MAPLE OATMEAL BREAD

3 3 ¼ cups flour

1 pkg dry yeast

¾ cup prepared coffee

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats

½ (scant) cup maple syrup

2 tbls butter

1 tsp salt

1 egg

Combine a cup of flour and the yeast. Heat coffee, oats, syrup, butter and salt until just warm and butter is almost melted. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes kneading). Shape dough into a ball, place in lightly greased bowl, and turn over once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about an hour.

Punch down dough, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile lightly grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Shape dough into a loaf and place into prepared pan, cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes). Bake at 350 F about 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf (14 slices)

Each slice contains 149 calories, 3 grams total fat, 2 grams sat. fat, 1 gr fiber, 26 gr. Carbs, 196 mg sodium, 4 gr protein. (Contains 8% of daily requirement of iron)

And here's a really nice maple scone...

Maple Cream Scone

2 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet (I used silpat on the baking sheet).

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut the butter pieces into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the mixture.

3. Blend the cream and 1/4 cup of the maple syrup and pour the mixture into the well. Stir, just until the dough coheres.

4. Lightly flour a work surface; turn the dough onto the surface and knead four or five times, gently. Pat or roll to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Cut into 2-1/2-inch to 3-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter and place on the prepared baking sheet.

5. Stir together the melted butter and remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup, then brush a little on each scone. Keep the remaining syrup mixture warm. Bake the scones for about 15 minutes, until golden. Serve hot. Spoon the remaining warm syrup mixture over the scones.

Yield: About 12 scones.

Source: Maple Syrup Cookbook, copyright 1989, 2001

Comments (24)

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I make this all the time..it's quick easy and you can sub whatever. But I never leave out the Maple Syrup!! I don't even measure anymore..I just dump and taste.

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons dry mustard

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 teaspoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.

Yields approximately 2 1/2 cups sauce

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Pumpkin-Maple Pie

Bon Appétit : November 1991

Servings: Serves 8.

Ingredients

1 Buttermilk Pie Crust Dough disk (I make my own.)

1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
    1 cup whipping cream
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup
    3 large eggs
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon natural maple flavor
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Pinch of salt

For Maple Whipped Cream:

1 cup chilled whipping cream
    3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Preparation

Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Roll pie crust disk out on lightly floured surface to 13-inch-diameter round (about 1/8 inch thick). Roll up dough on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie plate. Gently press into place. Trim edges of crust, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold excess under. Crimp edges. Freeze until crust is firm, about 15 minutes.

Line pie crust with foil, leaving 3-inch overhang. Fill foil with beans or pie weights. Fold extra foil gently over crust edges. Bake until crust is set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Cool pie crust slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

Whisk all remaining ingredients (except Maple Whipped Cream) to blend in bowl. Pour filling into crust. Bake until filling is set, covering crust edges with foil if browning too quickly, about 55 minutes. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Chill.)

Cut pie into wedges and serve with Maple Whipped Cream.

To make Maple Whipped Cream:

Whip cream with syrup in large bowl until soft peaks form. Makes about 2 cups.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Frosted Maple Walnut Bars

Q

Comments (1)
    In most things I prefer pecans though this looks good with either. Thanks for posting it.
    ...See More

Post your Can O' Soup Recipes here

Q

Comments (42)
    Okay - you asked for it! Here are my "dirty little secrets" LOLOLOL! Easy Creamy Peppercorn Chicken Rated: 4 out of 5 by 22 members Yields: 6 servings "A quick mushroom gravy, courtesy of soup and a packet of peppercorn gravy mix, smothers chicken and onions. Rice is a must-have side dish." INGREDIENTS: 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 packet peppercorn gravy mix 1 onion, sliced into thin rings 1 cup water DIRECTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). 2. Place cleaned chicken breasts in a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish or casserole dish. Arrange the sliced onion pieces evenly on top of the chicken pieces. Scoop the mushroom soup onto the chicken and onions. Mix the peppercorn gravy with water and pour it over the soup, onions and chicken. 3. Cover the dish and bake for 1 hour, stirring the chicken and mixture after 30 minutes. If desired, serve over rice or with mashed potatoes ********************************************************* Mushroom Pie Crusts for a 9"pie (top & bottom) 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced (optional) 1 tbsp butter 14 16 oz fresh button mushrooms, sliced 1 stalk celery ½ cup onion chopped 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup ½ cup chopped walnuts S&P Saute the celery, onions and mushrooms in butter until they give off the liquid and it evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in soup and walnuts. Place bottom crust in a pie dish. Line the bottom with sliced eggs if you are using them, otherwise pour mushroom filling into pie crust. Place top crust on. Crimp edges and cut steam vents. Bake 350 for 45 50 min. ******************************************************* Golden Chicken Curry 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces 1 tablespoon garam masala 1 tablespoon garlic powder 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 onions, chopped 1 cup chicken broth 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed 4 tablespoons curry powder salt and pepper to taste 2 ounces golden raisins Directions 1 Rub the chicken with garam masala and garlic powder. In a large saute pan, over medium heat brown chicken in olive oil in a large pot. 2 Remove chicken and saute onions in the same oil, until golden. Return the chicken to the pan and cover with the broth. Simmer until the meat is tender and can be easily picked off of the bone. Remove the chicken to cool. 3 Mix the soup into the broth in the pan, then add the potatoes and the curry. Simmer until tender. As soon as the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the skin and bones and, if necessary, cut into bite size pieces. When the potatoes are done, add the meat to the potato mixture and heat through. You may add golden raisins at this point if desired, adjust seasonings and serve!
    ...See More

Need help with Maple Cream Pie recipe

Q

Comments (10)
    One other possible explanation is that maple syrups vary in their thickeness/water content. Maybe that's why the reipe states "grade B" syrup, which is slightly thicker than Grade A. This is very slight, but some syrups are indeed thicker. Or if you used some other type of syrup that wasn't maple syrup, then maybe it didn't thicken up. I mean if you just take plain old maple syrup and cook and whip it up enough you will get maple cream even without added ingredients (Or you will get black taffy or set the house on fire, one of the three!)
    ...See More

RECIPE: Maple cookie disaster

Q

Comments (4)
    I think the recipe looks pretty much fine. I suspect you had too much flour in there....either packed the cup or the flour was particularly dense. It would have a texture very much like a sweet pastry dough. A pretty standard proportion for pastry si 1/3 cup fat to 1 cup of flour...and 1/3 cup of sugar to that making it a sweet crust...and the syrup would be very like the water in a pastry dough. Try it again...and only add 2 cups of flour....and add the 3 rd cup as needed. I will bet it will work better. I think you had too heavy a hand with the flour. Linda C
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Barnmom! That sounds good...
    I'm going to pick up some cinderella pumpkins tomorrow and bake those up for my own pumpkin puree.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Well, I love maple, so I have lots of recipes, LOL. Here are a couple more of my favorites, including one of my favorite jam recipes from Nancy (wizardnm):

APPLE MAPLE JAM

12 C finely chopped apples (about 6lbs) I used the food processor
    6 C sugar
    1 C Maple syrup (grade B if possible)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Allspice
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cloves
    Combine all in a large deep pan. Slowly bring to a boil. Cook to the jellying point. Stir frequently, so it doesn't stick.Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 min in BWB.
    Yields about 8 half pints. I double this recipe and it works fine.

PUMPKIN CAKE WITH MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature + more for greasing pans
    1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 cups cake flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 cup canned or cooked pumpkin

FROSTING

eight ounce pkg cream cheese
    1 stick butter, room temperature
    2 cups confectioners sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 350° (175°C). Butter two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, line them with parchment circles, butter the parchment, and coat the pan with flour. Tap out the excess.

In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl.

Add the eggs 1 at a time to the mixer, scraping down the sides after each addition. Alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat in the pumpkin until smooth. Divide the batter equally between the pans. Rap the filled pans once on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes. Cool the pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto racks and remove the parchment paper. Cool completely.

In a stand mixer beat all the ingredients on medium until fluffy. To assemble the cake, frost the top of one cake, place the other cake on top. Frost the sides and top, swirling decoratively. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set up frosting.

This one I got here on the forum and don't remember where it came from, anyone want to claim it? It's delicious.

MAPLE SYRUP SHORTBREADS

Shortbread:
    1/ 2 cup butter, rom temperature
    1/ 4 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    Maple topping:
    3/ 4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/ 3 cup pure maple syrup
    1 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/ 2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease 8 inch square baking dish. Craem butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and mix just until blended. Pat into bottom of prepared dish. Bake until shortbread is very light brown, about 25 minutes.
    Meanwhile, beat sugar, maple syrup and butter to blend. Beat in egg and vanilla. Pour over baked shortbread. Sprinkle evenly with walnuts. Return shortbread to oven and bake until topping is set, about 25 minutes. Cool in rack. Cut into 1 ½ inch squares. Store in airtight container. Makes about 36.

Individual Maple Pear Cobblers
    Courtesy of: Rebecca Rather, Chef, Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
    6 servings

3 pounds pears, peeled, cored, quartered
    2/3 cup + 9 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons + 1 1/2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    9 tablespoons whipping cream
    melted butter
    sugar to taste
    nutmeg to taste

For the filling, combine the pears, 2/3 cup syrup, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a bowl and mix well. Divide evenly among 6 custard cups or soufflé dishes. Place a pat of butter on top of each one. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until heated through.

For the topping, place the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a food processor. Add 6 tablespoons butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add the cream, 9 tablespoons syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla and process until combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto the hot filling. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg. Bake for 14 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden brown.

And of course there is Ann T's fudge....

Annie

• kframe19
    15 years ago

I have a very simple recipe.

Open jug of maple syrup.

Drink jug of maple syrup.

Throw empty jug into trash.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Here's a tried and true recipe I've been making for years:

Maple Tarragon Sweet Potatoes

4 lbs. sweet potatoes, thickly sliced
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup melted butter (unsalted)
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. dried tarragon

Layer sweet potato slices in a lightly buttered shalllow glass casserole. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over potatoes. Cover with foil and bake in a 350F oven for about 1/2 hour, uncover and continue to cook, basting every once in awhile with pan juices until glazed and golden around the edges.

I love the flavors in this casserole, but it's way too much food for just the two of us. So I have adapted it to make it easier. I peel several large sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks and cook them (covered) in the microwave on high until they're tender. I don't add any liquid. Then I mash them with a little bit of butter, add some grated orange rind, salt/pepper, maple syrup and dried tarragon. I had forgot about the cinnamon in the recipe. Maybe I'll add that the next time, but I didn't miss it.

seagrass

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Oh yum! What a great thread! Here are a couple more:

Maple-Chili Glazed Pork Medallions

1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
    1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1/4 cup apple cider
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1. Mix chili powder, salt and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of pork.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add cider, syrup and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning the pork occasionally to coat, until the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the pork drizzled with the glaze.

Maple Drizzled Apple Muffins 1\-1/3 c all purpose flour 1 c oatmeal, uncooked 1/2 c sugar 1 T baking powder 1\-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 c lowfat milk 1/3 c butter, melted 1/4 c maple syrup 2 egg whites, slightly beaten 1 c chopped apple Pecan halves (optional) Heat oven to 400. Prepare 12 muffin cups (paper liners or greased). Combine first 5 ingredients, mix well. Combine milk, butter, syrup and egg whites, add to dry ingredients mixing just until moistened. Gently fold in apples. Fill muffin cups almost full, top each with pecan halves if desired. Bake 20\-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Glaze: 3 T powdered sugar 1 T maple syrup Blend together until smooth and drizzle over cooled muffins. Linda
  • velodoug
    15 years ago

Besides the usual uses on pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, vanilla ice cream, etc., I put a splash of maple syrup in balsamic vinaigrette. If I can taste that there's maple syrup in it I've used too much.

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

large piece of boneless salmon

1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup light rum
    1 Tbs fresh ginger

Combine and marinate fish.

Cook at 450 until done (usually about 15 min, depending on the size of your fish)

If you bake it on a piece of parchment, it's easy to slide off the sheet onto a platter.

AM

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

How does this one sound? Found it on Epicurious and I'm thinking about making it today.

baked beans

Gourmet : March 2006

Fèves au Lard
    These beans boast two staples of Montreal cuisine sweet maple syrup and rich salt pork.

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 13 1/2 hr (Includes soaking)

Servings: Makes 8 side-dish servings.

Ingredients
    1 lb dried navy beans (2 1/4 cups)
    1 (1/4-lb) piece salt pork (rind discarded)
    4 1/2 cups water
    1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
    2 chopped garlic cloves
    1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup
    1 tablespoon dry English mustard (preferably Colman's)
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Preparation
    Pick over and rinse 1 lb dried navy beans (2 1/4 cups). Soak in cold water to cover by 2 inches at least 8 hours. Alternatively, quick-soak beans (see cooks' note, below). Drain.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse and pat dry 1 (1/4-lb) piece salt pork (rind discarded), then cut into 3 pieces.

Put beans and pork in an ovenproof 3-quart heavy pot with a lid. Add 4 1/2 cups water, 1 large onion (finely chopped; about 2 cups), 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup, 1 tablespoon dry English mustard (preferably Colman's), and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Cover pot and bake until beans are just tender, 3 to 4 hours.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Remove lid. Bake beans, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed but beans are still saucy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more. Remove from oven. Stir in 1 tablespoon cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste.

Cooks' notes:
    To quick-soak, put beans in a 4- to 5-quart pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour before draining.
    Baked beans keep, covered and chilled, up to 5 days.

Nancy

• caboodle
    15 years ago

We like this a lot:

Maple Mustard Scallops

3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

2 tablespoons butter
    1 pound fresh scallops

1 cup cream or half-and-half
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons maple syrup

Sauté the bacon and pour off the fat.Cool and crumble; set aside.

Briefly sauté the scallops in butter about 3 minutes on each side.
    Remove from skillet.

Add the half and half to the scallop liquid and boil the cream,
    stirring occasionally, until reduced to about ¾ cup.

Keep an eye on the heat and lower to medium, maintaining a steady
    reduction.

Add the mustard, maple syrup and pour in any juices collected in
    scallop bowl.

Boil for another 3 to 4 minutes until reduced again to sauce
    consistency.

Add the scallops and crumbled bacon to the sauce, toss quickly and
    serve immediately.

Servings: 4

Judi

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy~(mama), that sounds really good...Let us know how it's received by the family.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

AM, that salmon recipe calls to me.

Kframe, you should consider recycling that jug. ;)

The pork and maple sounds delicious, as do the sweet potatoes. The maple shortbread sounds incredible. What a yummy thread.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Steam brussel sprouts, drain. Put some butter in the pan, add brussel sprouts, add maple syrup and coarsely chopped walnuts, stir till warm and serve.
    Even lindac might like these.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

A very easy-to-remember recipe for seasoned greens:

1 large bag chopped frozen collard greens
    1 large bag chopped frozen mixed greens

cook these mixed together in boiling salted water per packaged directions until tender; drain very well

Stir into hot, drained greens, equal parts extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. For full bags of greens, start with 1/4 cup each oil, vinegar, and syrup.

Toss greens for several minutes in the oil/vinegar/syrup to coat and season the greens. Taste and add a little more vinegar if desired. Serve immediately.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Since I don't like "sweet" with my meat or fish, I only use maple syrup in traditionally sweet foods. Mostly desserts or

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Maple Cream Fudge
    =================
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    1/3 cup of butter
    1/4 cup of maple syrup
    pinch of salt
    vanilla
    . Add the two sugars, butter and cream maple syrup and salt into a sauce
    pan. Place over medium heat. Stir while bringing to a boil. Lower the
    heat and continue to stir slowly while the mixture cooks. After about
    7 minutes, test by pouring a small amount into some cold water. You
    want it to form a soft ball. You might need to cook it for another
    minute or two. Remove from the heat, add a couple of teaspoons of
    vanilla and start stirring. It takes about 14 or 15 minutes for the
    fudge to cool and thicken. Pour into buttered dish.

Option: Replace the cream and cup of white sugar with one can of
    Sweetened Condensed Milk and increase the maple syrup to 1 cup.

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup white
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup butter
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    vanilla

Cook to almost hard ball stage.
    Let cool slightly, stir and then pour into butter pan or mini muffin
    tins.

Maple Mousse With Walnut Praline
    ================================
    Source: Marg (Friend)

1 Tablespoon Gelatin
    1 1/4 cup cold water
    2 eggs beaten
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 Cup whipping cream - whipped
    . Soak gelatin in cold water. Beat eggs and combined with maple syrup in
    top of a double boiler. cook stirring constantly over boiling water
    until it coats a spoon. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Strain if
    necessary. Refrigerate until thick. Whip cream until stiff. Whip
    gelatin mixture. Fold in whip cream until well combined. Pour into 3
    1/2 cup mold and refrigerate until set.

Praline

1 cup walnuts
    1 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup cold water

toast walnuts at 350 for 10 minutes. Do not burn Add water to sugar in
    heavy sauce pan and stir until sugar has dissolved. Cook until sugar
    turns a golden brown. Add nuts and immediately pour on to a buttered
    cookie sheet. Let set for one hour. Chop coarsely. Sprinkle chopped
    praline over each serving.

Butter Tarts
    ============
    1/4 cup butter at room temperature
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 cup walnut halves

Optional - 1/2 cup currants or raisins
    water

Blend together the butter and brown sugar. Beat the eggs lightly and
    stir into the butter and brown sugar and add the corn syrup. (You can
    substitute Corn syrup for all or part of the Maple syrup.), add
    vanilla and raisins if using.

Fill tart shells about two thirds full. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20
    minutes or until pastry is golden.

The filling in these tarts is runny. Do not over bake or the filling
    will firm up. Let tarts set in the tins for about 3 minutes. Remove
    carefully and cool on racks. Makes about twenty 3 inch tarts.

====================
    Source: Foodtv.ca
    Anna Olson

Dough

* 2 cups all purpose flour
    * 2 tbsp oats
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp salt
    * 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
    * 2 tbsp sour cream
    * 2 tbsp maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter the texture of coarse meal. Stir sour cream and maple syrup and add to dough, Mixing until it just comes together. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
  • triciae
    15 years ago

We love maple syrup in granola.

MAPLE GRANOLA

1 Large Tub Quacker Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
    1 Cup Maple Syrup
    1 Cup Canola Oil
    2 Cups Unsweeened Applesauce
    2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
    2 Tablespoons Nutmeg
    ** 2 Tablespoons of Ground Vanilla Beans (I get this from KA...it's optional)
    1-1/2 Cups Raw Cashews
    1 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
    3/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
    4 Cups Dried Fruit (of choice) We love papaya, pineapple, dates, & apples.

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT FRUIT together in very large bowl until well blended. Spread granola on parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets & bake at 250 degrees for about 3 hours or until dry stirring once to assure even drying.

When dry, pour back into the large mixing bowl & add the dried fruit. Stir well to blend. Allow to cool thoroughly & package for storage (vac pak, freeze, etc.)

/tricia

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

That fudge pic gets me everytime!

Here is one from a few years ago. The sauce is amazing!

PORK TENDERLOIN WITH MAPLE GLAZE (Weed)

3 12- to 14-ounce pork tenderloins, cut in half
    2 Tbl crumbled dried sage leaves or rubbed sage
    2 Tbl crushed garlic
    Oil to moisten sage/garlic
    Salt, pepper
    2 Tbl. Oil
    2 Tbl Butter + 1 more for shallots
    1 cup pure maple syrup + ¼ cup to finish sauce
    ¾ cup apple cider vinegar + ¼ cup to deglaze pan
    2 Tbl. Dijon mustard
    ½ cup shallots, finely diced

Mix sage and garlic, add a little oil to moisten. Rub all over tenderloins, sprinkle on salt and pepper and let sit one hour.
    Mix 1 cup maple syrup, ¾ cup apple cider vinegar and the Dijon and set aside.
    Melt butter and oil in a deep pan or pot over medium-high heat until hot and bubbling. Add pork tenderloins and cook, turning to brown on all sides. The garlic and butter will start burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan that is ok and will make the sauce delicious. Pork will be very dark too, and almost crispy on the outside.
    Cook pork until internal temperature reaches 140. (pork will be med-rare, it will cook further as it rests and in the last step.) Remove pork from pan, put on a platter and cover loosely with foil.
    Keeping the heat on med-high, add the shallots to the pan along with another tablespoon of butter. Saute shallots, stirring constantly, until they are limp and taking on a bronze color, about 3 minutes. If they start to burn before they go limp, lower heat, but bring it back up for the next step.
    Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, scraping up as much of the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan as possible.
    Add the maple syrup/vinegar/Dijon mix to pan. Lower heat to a lively simmer and cook until sauce thickens. Keep digging around on the bottom to get even more of the burnt stuff. Sauce will be very dark, almost black, from the goodies on the bottom of the pan.
    When sauce is desired consistency, add ¼ cup more maple syrup and return pork and any accumulated juices to pan.
    Heat the pork through in the simmering sauce. Do not overcook pork inside should be nicely pink, like a med-well steak. I just cut it open and peek :)
    Put one piece of pork on each plate and cover with sauce. Serve with white or brown rice and smother that with the sauce too.
    Bon Appétit
    October 2000
    (with changes and additions by weed!)

David

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David..I love love love that fudge!!!It's dangerous...
    I love using the Maple Oatmeal pastry too...

Oh yes Mike, reuse the jug..I was at the food co op grocery today and organic maple syrup was 11.89lb. Up from 8.99lb only 3 months ago! But they recommend reusing jugs..so when mine is empty it's going to the co op with me..as is Agave bottle and EVOO...I should pay better attention to what they offer..LOL

• cciaffone
    15 years ago

Whiskey-Maple Barbecue Sauce

This is great on the meaty southern style pork
    ribs done on a gas or charcoal grill.

8 Tbsp (1 stick) margarine
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup light unsulphured molasses
    2/3 cup catsup
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup bourbon whiskey
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp liquid smoke
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan; sauté the onions until they are light brown.
    2. Add the catsup, bourbon, vinegar, and orange juice.
    3. To measure the syrup and molasses, swish a little vegetable oil in the
    cup measure, swirl it about, and pour it out.
    Then measure the maple syrup and molasses into the sauce pan.
    4. Add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, smoke, and salt.
    5. Simmer it, stirring often.
    6. Cook until the mixture gets thick and shiny looking.

• aclifton
    15 years ago

Here is a wonderful maple pecan pie square recipe:

Maple Pecan Pie Squares

3 c. sifted flour
    3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    Maple Pecan Filling Below

Heat oven to 350. Grease a jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x10 1/2x1 inch. Mix ingredients on low speed. It will make a dry crumbly mixture. Press firmly in pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

Maple Pecan Filling

In a large bowl combine:
    2 heaping Tablespoons cornstarch
    Pinch of salt
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    1 c. pure maple syrup

Stir together thoroughly. Add 2-3 c. *chopped pecans. Pour over baked cookie crust. Spread evenly. Bake about 25 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely, if you can wail to eat it that long. Cut** into small squares.

* I started by stirring in the 2 cups. After pouring the mixture over the dough I sprinkle pecans wherever there is a spot with none. My family thinks you can not have too many pecans and a blank spot is for the birds!
    **I find it easier to cut the square while the cookies were still warm, not hot than when totally cold.

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

Well, I made the baked beans I posted above for our Fall Festival yesterday. I was worried for a while that they didn't look "baked" but all of a sudden, I checked on them and they were that perfect caramel color. Voila! They were delicious and my neighbors all enjoyed them.

Nancy

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I checked this thread just to see if baked beans were mentioned. I like just a drizzle to give a soft maple note in the background. A powerful flavor that can take over if not treated with respect.

Agreed... kframe should recycle that perfectly good moonshine container... but it does sound like he might have done that once already.... could use a swaller myself.

: )
    lyra

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

These are especially good served with baked ham.

APRICOT-GLAZED BEETS 4 servings

2 Tbs. butter
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup apricot juice-*
    1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. grated ginger root (optional)
    12 to 16 baby beets, about 1 inch in diameter, cooked and peeled

In saucepan, combine all ingredients except beets. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 4 to 8 minutes. Add beets and toss gently to coat. Heat through for one minute. You can use larger beets, cut into quarters or eighths.

* - To make your own apricot juice: Combine ¼ cup dried apricots and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for about 40 minutes, or until apricots are soft. Remove apricots (these can be diced and sprinkled over the beets or used in scones, nut bread, etc.)