Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do nuts go bad?

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 16:34

I'm so terrible about rotating my pantry items.
Did I post about the canned vegies from 2002?
The Bisquick "best if used by November, 1996"
Or the honey from 1987?

I've got three huge bags of almonds and walnuts in there. Probably at least five years old. They haven't been opened. Think they are still good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do nuts go bad?

I am afraid not....nuts get rancid and taste bitter and awful.
Open one and taste some....
You can try putting them out for the birds...but if they are too bad even the birds won't eat them.
The Bisquick will be awful...but the noney will be fine.
In the future keep things that may go rancid in the freezer.
Linda C

o

Ditto what Linda said. In my house, things like nuts and Bisquick will not only be rancid but may have bugs as well. I keep nuts in the freezer and flour as well if I'm not in a frequent baking mode or I buy large amounts.

Canned veggies will probably be safe but the flavor quality might not be as good.

o

Better yet, put some out for the birds now and see what happens. If they peck at them and walk away--throw them out. If they fall over, you may want to bury the stuff.
To solve the storage problem-- try what we did when remodeling. Don't shop for a month--use up everything in the house even if you end up with weird combos for dinner, or evaporated milk for your cocoa at breakfast. We all store too much.

o

Yeah one taste and you'll know..LOL

o

Safer not to do the taste test. Just toss them. Except the honey. It'll be OK.

o

I don't know about the Bisquick. I know the nuts definitely will not be good. I always keep mine in the freezer too.

o

Nothing un safe about tasting old nuts..... I wouldn't want to eat a serving of them...but a taste to prove they are bad or not is OK.
Linda C

o

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Honey, according to several sources I've seen, is about as indestructible a food as there is.

o

Yup. Honey found in Egyptian pyramids is still fine. (Not that I'm recommending keeping it thousands of years!)

Carol

o

Ever since we had an infestation of those drugstore beetles that was so bad we couldn't get rid of them until we gutted the kitchen (not that I'm reccomending this...we were gutting the kitchen anyway) I keep all flours in the freezer or fridge.

Nuts get rancid. Taste one & you'll know. You may even be able to tell from the smell as soon as you open the bag. I keep them in the freezer now.

Nina

o

I'd toss the bisquick and the nuts and check to see if there is anything else tucked into the pantry that needs to go.

I had a very bad infestation of pantry moths about 15 years ago. I bought a bag of dog food at a Nursery one time and I think it was the culprit. But I never could rid my kitchen of the darn bugs again. After I discovered the bugs everything was put into tupperware or zip lock bags and I mean everything. I sprayed, I bleached, I repackaged, I washed everything in the house including taking all the pictures off the walls. I did everything possible and still moths were flitt'n around.

We finally moved and I tossed so much food fearing I would carry the moths to our new home. Gives me the willies just thinking about bugs in my cupboards....YUCK!

Michelle

o

If the nuts are in their original airtight packaging they may be in a nitrogen atmosphere which would delay rancidification (and the hatching of bugs). However, five years is a long time for plastic packaging to keep out oxygen.

Keeping fats chilled delays rancidification, but it doesn't prevent it. So fats can go bad in the refrigerator or even the freezer, but it takes considerably longer.

Bisquick contains shortening -- in other words, fat. If they used a shortening that didn't go rancid after a decade, it probably shouldn't be eaten at all. However, if they were still using coconut or palm or other tropical oils back then, it could be safe, but it's unlikely the leavening would still work.

As long as the can isn't leaking or bulging, open it and check the inside for any sign of the lining breaking down (discoloration of the interior or the contents). Canning requires foods to be so overcooked in the first place that as long as the can is intact, chances are there would be no noticeable difference in quality or nutrition.

o

Sometimes I'm naughty, but I wouldn't say really bad.

:)

o

Denise...........I thought they were talking about me too. LOL Diana55

o

Ditto what others have said, with one more note: nuts kept in the freezer can dry out, so try to use them within a year. They'll often keep longer than that but the difference will be noticeable.

o

vacuum seal the nuts before freezing, and they'll keep even longer.

o

I'm pretty surprised this thread hasn't deteriorated further. Especially with comments like:

Nothing un safe about tasting old nuts

and

You may even be able to tell from the smell

Where's Jessy?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here