Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can jarred salsa be frozen?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 16:16

A certain member of the family went to Costco and bought a 65-oz. jar of salsa. Since we're not planning on having a party, I was wondering if it could be frozen in batches and used up that way.

The texture would probably be affected. Maybe it could be used in chili.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can jarred salsa be frozen?

Of course!
I wouldn't freeze it in the jars as it might expand and break the jar.
64 oz? that's only half a gallon! LOL!
Linda C

o

I'm sure it will be fine frozen in smaller batches, especially if you vacuum sealed it in canning jars. Just be sure to allow head space for expansion. The bags should be fine as well.

o

I freeze the store bought salsa sometimes if there's some left in the fridge and I have to go away on vacation. I use it in lots of saucey things, like enchiladas, heuvos rancheros, and chili. The storebought kind is usually so thick that it isn't much affected by freezing. I often have to freeze it since I like to buy the economy size but can't eat it up on my own that fast. I used to can it up in the small jars tailor made for just me, but haven't been able to manage canning for the past two years, sadly.

o

I make home made (which I partially cook) and freeze it. We still like it for tacos and chips, etc.

o

I agree, it's fine to freeze it, either in containers or in freezer bags so it would lie flat.

The consistency may be a bit thinner, but the flavor should not be affected.

Annie

o

You can freeze in small containers, then pop the salsa out and put all of them in a ziploc.
When ready to thaw some, put it back in the container you originally froze it in (it fits perfectly!! LOL).
That way you don't have to use up all your containers.

Deanna

o

Thanks for all the good ideas! Hate to waste, but that's more than 2 people can eat up fast enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here