SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggiegrad

carrot recipes?

aggiegrad
13 years ago

hey all, my neighbor brought me a bag full of carrots a few days ago. I'm looking for ideas on what to do with them. any one got any good easy recipes on fresh whole carrots to share? I wish I had a pressure cooker because growing up we always had pressurized carrots for dinner. that's about all we ever put in it. just fresh cut up carrots "jiggled" for about 3 minutes & they were the best I've ever eaten. I once had a p.c. but the jiggler went down my garbage disposal one day while it was on, & I couldn't use it anymore. I haven't found another one anywhere. anyway, if any of you have any ideas, please share them. thanks.

Comments (29)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Fresh garden carrots there's no need to do much but simmer with a little water until tender, about 10 minute, add butter and a little salt and papper and serve.
    But you can cook them in orange juice to cover, with a pat of butter. Cook without a lid and the juice will cook down and make a nice orange sauce.
    You can make a carrot cake (yell if you need a recipe) or carrot slaw, or roast them with a little evoo in the oven, or just cut them up and eat like bunny food!
    Linda C

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

I love roasted carrots. Drizzle them with some olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Into a hot oven for approximately 20 - 30 minutes, turning halfway through. The timing will vary depending on the thickness of your carrots. I love them to take on a little color. Finish them off with a little sea salt. Roasted carrots are delicious!

Lori

• Related Discussions

Dill carrot recipe?

Q

Comments (3)
    "Small Batch Preserving" has a recipe for an oregano pickled carrots. Each jar has a clove of garlic, a shake or crushed red pepper, plus some oregano. I made them a few months back. Since I don't like oregano, I substituted tarragon. You could easily substitute dill. They are pretty good. Maintain a decent amount of crunchiness. I'll definitely make them again. Let me know if you can't find the recipe. I've got the brine recipe jotted down somewhere in my canning log.
    ...See More

Hot Pepper, Olive, Carrot? Relish Recipe

Q

Comments (9)
    Now that you mentioned olives, I went back and looked at my Joy of Pickling book and realized that any recipe with olives is stored in the refrigerator. I was looking for a gardieneria recipe. Boy, are there ever a lot of unsafe ones out there! People canning all sorts of stuff with tons of olive oil, olives, veggies and little to no processing. Most of the instructions say " seal the jars and they will store on the shelves for up to a year". Yikes!
    ...See More

Carrot canning recipes?

Q

Comments (10)
    Dear Sarah in Northwest Pennsylvania ... Welcome. Please spend some time going through the many, many previous discussions we've had about all kinds of fruit, vegetables, canning, jamming, and preserving. But for now, if you don't have the Ball Blue Book, please look for one at WalMart, amazon.com, various produce stands, or their website, etc. Admittedly it's past much of the season, but you should be able to find one somewhere. Please be sure to read and follow directions from only very CURRENT editions, because recipes and rules change. The reason? Some of the previous and older canning recipes do not have safe procedures -- that is, safe by our standards today. It's very important to follow safe directions! You can go to: www.freshpreserving.com to see the book and other information by one of the "Mason jar" companies. For now, you can also go to a wonderful website with up-to-date recipes and procedures. Spend some time looking there. It's a bounty of information. And I'm sure you'll be insprired. Good luck, and hope to see you here more often. Kathy in Washington Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation
    ...See More

Carrot cake recipe needed

Q

Comments (6)
    Hre's the one I use....never EVER had a better one nor one nearly as good. Note the buttermilk and the lower amount of oil than is usual in a carrot cake....and the glaze! Oh my! the Glaze! Carrot cake Julie TÂs 3 eggs 3/4 cup vegetable oil 3/4 cup buttermilk 2 cups sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 2 tsps cinnamon 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained 2 cups grated carrots 1/2 cup raisins chopped with 1 Tablespoon of flour Buttermilk glaze 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 cup buttermilk 1/4 cup butter 1 Tblsp light corn syrup 1 tsp vanilla Orange Cream Cheese Frosting 1/2 cup softened butter 4 oz softened cream cheese 1 tsp vanilla 3 cups powdered sugar 1 tsp orange juice 1 tsp grated orange rind Preheat oven to 350 With a mixer Beat eggs, add oil and buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. beat to combine. Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder and stir into batter. stir in pineapple, carrots and raisins. Pour into a greased 8 by 13 pan or 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and immediatly spread with the buttermilk glaze. Cool completely and frost with the cream cheese frosting. Buttermilk glaze: In a medium sauce pan ( don't use a small pan) combine all ingredients but vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes stirring often...it will bubble a lot. It should be a light caramel color, stir in vanilla and pour over the cake Cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until light add vanilla powd. sugar and juice and rind...beat until smooth and frost the cooled cake.
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    13 years ago

I do as Linda suggests and cook in a little water, drain, add butter but then I add a tablespoon of orange marmalade.

Seems like a lot of extra steps to use a pressure cooker, when carrots cook pretty fast already.

• aggiegrad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lori, you say a hot oven. what temp do you use? I actually was thinking of putting some in the oven, but I've never done that with carrots, just potatoes & chicken. could I put carrots & potatoes in at the same time? oven baked chicken with baked carrots & potatoes sounds really good for dinner. thanks I may just do that.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I like them roasted too. I cut them on a diagonal, thin, and roast at 450 on an oiled bake sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt before roasting as it helps draw out moisture.
    They should be brown on the edges and crisp/tender when done.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I often roast potatoes and carrots with a beef or pork roast.
    Also good roasted along side of meat loaf.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Roasted Carrots With Whiskey

Slice carrots into thick "coins" and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Mix 1 cup orange juice with 1 or 2 shots of whiskey and pour over the top. Fill the pan about half way with carrots so the amount of whiskey andjuice is good for that amount of carrots - you can reduce or increase the amount if you're making more or less - it's not critical if you're off a little.

Grind fresh sea salt and pepper over the top, dot with butter all over, cover with foil, and bake at 350 until done to desired.
    Uncover for the last 10-15 minutes to make sure the liquids turn into a "glaze" and the carrots brown a bit.

You can add a bit more juice at this point if there isn't enough liquid left so what's left doesn't just burn up.

You can also drizzle some maple syrup or honey over the top after you dot them with the butter if you want them sweeter, but with fresh carrots you probably won't need it.

BAKED CARROTS WITH CHARDONNAY

Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
    Yield: 4 servings

1 pound baby carrots, preferably organic, scrubbed and left whole, tops removed
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
    1 handful fresh thyme leaves
    4 knobs butter (about 4 tablespoons)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 glass Chardonnay (about 5 ounces)
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Tear off around 5 feet of kitchen foil and fold it in half to give you double thickness. Place everything but the wine and seasoning in the middle of the foil. Bring up the sides and pour in the white wine. Season well. Fold or scrunch the foil together to seal.

Cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until the carrots are tender. You may need to cook it for longer if the carrots are bigger than baby ones.

Honey-Orange Skillet-Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Serves 6 to 8

Parsnips wider than 1 inch may have tough, fibrous cores that are best trimmed and discarded. Using warm water helps the sugar to dissolve more readily. Any combination of carrots and parsnips with a combined weight of 3 pounds can be used in this recipe.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds carrots , peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
    1 1/2 pounds parsnips , peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
    3/4 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoons honey
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme , fresh rosemary, or fresh tarragon

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook carrots and parsnips, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
    2. Whisk orange juice, honey, and 1 teaspoon salt in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Add water mixture to skillet and cook covered, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in thyme, rosemary, or tarragon, and season with salt and pepper. Serve.

• aggiegrad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks linda & bumblebee & everyone else who answered.
    I wish I could do a pork or beef roast, but the 2 people I live with( my youngin's) won't touch pork or beef. so, if it's something that only I'll eat, there's not much point in buying it, because there's going to be too much left over to do it. I've tried to get them to try it, but, they'd rather have a pizza or other junk food instead. anyway, for dinner tonight is oven roasted chicken, potatoes & carrots, & if they don't like it, to bad. that's pretty much the rule here now. eat what's available or find your own. I'm done running a restaurant. take it or leave it. thanks for the help ya'll.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Sorry - just saw your question Aggiegrad! Yes, as Bumblebeez said, I roast them in a 450 F. oven.

Your dinner tonight sounds wonderful!

Lori

• annie1992
    13 years ago

We also had a carrot cookalong, I remember because Ann T couldn't participate, she hates carrots! It'll be up there under FAQ...

Anyway, I like roasted carrots, honey glazed carrots, carrot cake, that carrot/raisin salad. I like these muffins too but I leave out the walnuts because I'm picky and don't like nuts in baked goods.

Apple Carrot Muffins

1 3/4 cups raisin bran cereal
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
    3/4 cup grated carrots
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
    1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple, carrots and walnuts. Fill paper-lined muffin cups or cups coated with nonstick cooking spray three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.

Annie

• mudlady_gw
    13 years ago

What's wrong with simply steaming them until they are crisp/done, adding lots of real butter, and S+P to taste? Years ago, my son remarked that carrots are the only vegetable that doesn't need anything added.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I always disliked carrots cooked until I started roasting them. That way, they are almost like a potato chip.

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Carrot raisin salad?

No recipe-

Fresh grated carrots
    Raisins
    Mayo, lemon juice, sugar, mixture

Combine all, enjoy. Have had it made with crushed pineapple.

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

A friend served this at a luncheon, and it was very good.

The trinity of North African seasonings, cumin, coriander and paprika, lends exotic appeal to this simple carrot preparation.

North African Spiced Carrots
    Serves: 6

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    3 cups sliced carrots
    1 cup water
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, paprika, cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 20 seconds. Add carrots, water, lemon juice and salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until the carrots are just tender and the liquid is syrupy, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.

• jimster
    13 years ago

Mirepoix is a fancy name for a very versatile mix of three aromatic vegetables -- carrots, onions and celery. My favorite use of mirepoix is in braising meat of just about any kind. It is also useful in many kinds of soup or stew.

The three vegetables are finely chopped and I like to brown the mixture lightly in olive oil before adding them to a braise. When the braise is finished, tomato sauce can be added to the pan drippings, mirepoix and all, for a delicious pasta sauce. It would be handy to have packages of mirepoix ready to use in the freezer. That would take care of your surplus of carrots. I plan to do that.

Jim

• Islay_Corbel
    13 years ago

Just grated and served with a simple vinaigrette. Lovely way to start a meal.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

This delicious recipe was in the June issue of Southern Living:

Carrot Orzo

8 oz carrots cut into 1 inch pieces (about 2 c.)
    2 1/2 c chicken broth
    3 T butter
    1 med onion, chopped
    2 c. uncooked orzo
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. pepper
    1 c. grated parmesan
    3 T. fresh chives
    1 t fresh thyme

Process carrots in food processor 15 seconds or until finely chopped.
    Combine 2 1/2 c. water and broth and heat in microwave or on stove.
    Melt butter in large saucepan. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.
    Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt, and pepper into orzo mix. Cook, stirring often, 15-18 mins or until liquid is absorbed.
    Stir in parmesan, chives and thyme. Serve immediately.

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

I'd roast them. I just roasted a pan of potatoes, onions and carrots and it was so good. Just seasoning, olive oil, a good non-sticking pan. I think it was 375 for about 45 minutes. I did slice the carrots really thin (1/4 inch) so they'd cook as fast as the potatoes.

The carrot, raisin salad can be found by google searching for the Luby's (cafeteria) recipes. That's how I found it once. Looks like it's for a huge dish, so cut it down some.

Here is a link that might be useful: lubys shredded carrots and more...

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I made these the other night and they were excellent!

Marmalade Carrots
    Ingredients:
    ⢠2 pounds carrots, peeled, sliced diagonally
    ⢠2/3 cup orange marmalade
    ⢠2 tablespoons brown sugar
    ⢠2 tablespoons butter
    ⢠2 tablespoons bourbon
    ⢠1/2 cup toasted pecans*, coarsely chopped
    Preparation:
    In a vegetable steamer over boiling water, cover and steam carrots about 10 minutes or until crisp tender (I microwaved them for about 5 minutes). Transfer carrots to a serving bowl. Stir marmalade into carrots until marmalade has melted.
    Combine brown sugar, butter, and bourbon in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until butter and brown sugar melt and it is reduced by 1/4. Remove from heat, and stir in pecans. Pour over carrot mixture in bowl. Toss gently.
    Serves 8.
    **To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350ð oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Hi aggiegrad!

There was a cookalong thread...link below. If it doesn't work, go to the forum FAQ and it is #3. Happy cooking!

(gee where is AnnT on this thread lololol)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #3, carrots

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I participated in the carrot cookalong but I would not recommend the dish I made. BUT, recently I got a bunch of oranges from my neighbor and made carrot orange marmelade, which has been good, kind of like carrot cake on toast. There is also official carrot cake jam which I believe uses pears. Anyway, I could get you the recipe for either one if you are a canner, or go over to the "Harvest" forum and use the search engine, something should come up. Or even using Google.

• jimster
    13 years ago

Cut the carrots in a small julienne or shred them with whatever tool you have for that purpose. Cut an equal amount of daikon radish the same way. Mix the carrots and daikon. Dress with a very light citrus-based dressing. This is a common Japanese salad.

Jim

• Lars
    13 years ago

I've only had it at restaurants (like Joe's in Venice), but I really like ginger carrot soup, and I'm not a fan of carrots. Here's a reasonble recipe, I think, although I'm reluctant to use cream in soup recipes. Also, I would use a stick blender for this rather than a regular blender. If I had a bunch of carrots, this is what I would make.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot Ginger Soups

• jothrive
    13 years ago

This is an "oldie" but a "goodie."

WINTER CARROT CASSEROLE

1 1/2 lb. carrots sliced (4 1/2 cups)
    1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    2 T. chopped onion
    2 T. prepared horseradish
    1/4 t. salt
    dash pepper
    1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 7)
    2 t. butter or margarine

In saucepan cook carrots, covered, in boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, place in 1 quart casserole. Combine mayonnaise or salad dressing, onion, horseradish, salt and pepper. Spoon over carrots. Mix crumbs and butter or margarine, sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

This is a classic preparation, still excellent:

Carrots Vichy

1 1/2 pounds fresh, young, tender, sweet carrots
    Vichy water or other plain carbonated water (or just use tap water)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter, plus more to season
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    Peel the carrots and slice in thin (about 1/8 inch) rounds. Place the sliced carrots in a skillet and just barely cover with water. Sprinkle on the sugar, salt and dot with butter. Give everything a quick stir.

Bring the carrots to a boil over medium heat and then turn heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook the carrots between 5 and 10 minutes, or longer if you like overcooked vegetables.

Remove the cover and drain off all but a couple of tablespoons of water. Cook a little longer to evaporate the water, stirring to glaze the carrots without burning. Stir in butter to taste and the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

If you still have your pressure cooker and if it is a Presto, here is a link that might help you find another "jiggler" also called a pressure regulator.

Here is a link that might be useful: PressureCooker-outlet.com

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Carrot Pineapple Cake
    This recipe was in Bon Appetît in the 1960's and is the benchmark in our family.

2 cups Flour
    2 tsp. Baking Powder â¨
    1 1/2 tsp. Salt â¨
    1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
    â¨2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon â¨
    2 cups Sugar
    â¨1 1/2 cups Vegetable Oil â¨
    4 whole Eggs
    â¨2 cups finely grated Carrots (6) â¨
    1 8 1/2 oz. can Crushed Pineapple in syrup (1 cup)
    â¨1/2 cup chopped nuts
    â¨3 1/2 oz. can Flaked Coconut

Add ingredients in normal order, mix well. Add carrots, pineapple with juice, nuts and coconuts; blend well. Pour into greased and floured pan(s) -- 1 Bundt pan, or 3 8" layer pans, or 2 5 x7 loaf pans. Bake at 350úF for 35-40 minutes. Cool.

FROSTING (amount for top only)
    1/2 cup Butter â¨8 oz. Cream Cheese â¨
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    â¨3 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (16 oz. box)

Cream all ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
    *** If needed for filling between layers, this recipe must be doubled or tripled.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Copper pennies are good and so is carrot salad mine without whiskey and raisins

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Here is one that I got from this forum a while back. I've made it several times, it's really good!

ROASTED CARROTS W/ THYME AND GARLIC

2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    2 1/2 lb large carrots, halved lengthwise diagonally
    1 TBSP unsalted butter
    1 ( 2 - 3 inch) head of garlic, cloves separated but left unpeeled
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1/4 tsp Maldon sea salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1/2 c water

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat oil in heavy ovenproof skillet over moderately high heat until very hot and just beginning to smoke, then add half of carrots, cut sides down, and cook, undisturbed, until they begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Brown remaining carrots in same manner but leave in skillet. Add butter and stir once, then return carrots on plate to skillet. Continue to cook over mod high heat, turning frequently until carrots are golden brown on edges, about 5 minutes more.

Add garlic, thyme, sea salt, pepper and water and cover skillet tightly with foil. Roast in oven until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove foil and continue roasting, turning over carrots with tongs occasionally until edges are slightly crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.
    GW-posted by Rosemarythyme 11-06

Another from a forum member that is now in my T&T files and gets made quite often. These are awesome!

Empire State Muffins
    Posted by Debbie 814

2 cups shredded, unpeeled apples
    1-1/3 c sugar
    1 c chopped cranberries
    1 c chopped carrots
    1 c chopped walnuts or pecans
    2-1/2 c AP flour
    1 T baking powder
    2 tsp soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 c vegetable oil

In large mixing bowl, combine apples and sugar. Gently fold in cranberries, carrots and nuts. Combine dry ingredients, add to mixing bowl. Mix well to moisten dry ingredients. Combine eggs and oil, stir into apple mixture. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from tins.

Makes 2 dozen

Linda

• sprout26
    13 years ago

This is a totally old school cream of soup recipe, but I crave it every year. Mom used to make it for Sunday dinners.
    Harvest Carrots
    Ingredients
    4 cups sliced carrots
    2 cups water
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup butter, divided
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups seasoned stuffing croutons
    Directions
    In a large saucepan, bring carrots and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain. In a small skillet, saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender.
    In a large bowl, combine the carrots, onion, soup, cheese and pepper. Melt remaining butter; toss with stuffing. Fold into carrot mixture.
    Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures