Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T&T stuffed pepper recipe?

Posted by legomom (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 16:00

I signed up to bring a grieving family a meal and said I would bring Italian stuffed peppers. I'm not really sure where I came up with that idea?:) I have made them before but I don't really have a go-to recipe.

Any suggestions - I guess it seemed Italian and fairly normal without being lasagna or spaghetti, but now I'm second guessing myself!

I want to try it out this weekend to make sure it's edible :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T&T stuffed pepper recipe?

I just tried a new recipe this past weekend for stuffed peppers and we really enjoyed it! Previously, we had always used rice and ground beef, but this one called for Italian sausage and orzo, and was a delicious change and I think our new go-to recipe for stuffed peppers. I used the last of the peppers from the garden, not all bells, and some were a bit zippy (hot), which I really enjoyed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orzo stuffed peppers

o

I have a recipe for stuffed pepper soup that my family likes a lot better than actual stuffed peppers.

In fact this weekend I took frozen homemade stuffed peppers my SIL made and made it into soup.

photo soupswap011_zps5a649cf2.jpg

o

Thanks! The Italian sausage and orzo one is very similar to the one I was thinking about trying.
I was thinking of doing a medley of smaller peppers, so I'm not sure if I should still cook those first. I think that might be the key. I want my peppers done, but not soggy I guess.

Would be easier in a soup:) I'll have to try that too.

o

Legomom - Soggy peppers reminds of when I was growing up I hated cooked peppers, so when my mom made stuffed peppers she had to make "meatballs" for me which she stuffed into raw peppers after baking. I guess even way back then I didn't like over cooked veggies!

o

The peppers in the link I posted spend very little time in the oven, not nearly enough time to cook them through. I would still boil them for a time, just keep an eye on them and remove them when they are to your liking. And don't forget to plunge them into cold water when they are done and they won't overcook.

o

In a hurry many years ago I tried this approach to stuffed peppers and have made them this way ever since.

GREEN STUFFED PEPPERS

Slice number of peppers needed in half lengthwise and seed.
Add 1/2 inch water to a flat bottomed container and lay cut peppers in pan in a single layer.

Following instructions, cook a package of Rice a Roni Spainish rice mix, keeping it vegetarian or add ground beef or left over meat to the mix. Your choice.

Fill pepper shells with the rice mixture, top each with a generous slice of good cheddar cheese, cover pan tightly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

o

Ready for the oven

Served over pasta. The extra filling made into meatballs.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Meat Stuffed Peppers
====================
Edited from Lidia's Stuffed Pepper recipe.

Meat Stuffed Peppers

1/3 cup rice
Salt
Hungarian sweet peppers or cubanella or banana peppers 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 pound ground meat (pork/beef/veal)
1 egg
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup chicken broth

Tomato sauce

Olive oil
Garlic,
Onions
Canned tomatoes
Red pepper flakes
Fresh basil

Prepare the Tomato Sauce.

Cook rice until almost tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 400° F, prepare the peppers and start the filling: Cut the stems from the peppers and scrape out the seeds and membranes with a teaspoon. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes.

Put the onions, garlic, parsley, fresh oregano and chicken broth in small food processor. Process. Add the cheese, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and onion mixture to the meat. Mix well. Mix in the egg and season with salt and pepper. Fry a small piece to check for seasoning.

Stuff the peppers and use the extra meat to make meatballs.

Saute the peppers to lightly brown. Place the peppers in a casserole dish and cover with some of the tomato sauce. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

o

That is the exact recipe I was looking at trying! It looks like you have made some changes. Thanks for posting!
They look great, do they taste as good as they look?
Which peppers did you use? You didn't cut first, stuffed them whole it appears?

Thanks again for posting - I had thought about going with something else but I'm at least going to try these this weekend first. They look delicious to me!

o

Legomom, I used the Hungarian Sweet Peppers, but I have also made them with green bell peppers. I just cut off the top of the pepper and remove the seeds, leaving the pepper intact, and stuffed them whole. They taste great.

Hope you enjoy!

~Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here