Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with red cabbage

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 15:56

Other than slaw, I don't know what to do with it. I have 5 of them from the garden -- they are very small but still I will need to use them up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with red cabbage

Chop them up and sauté slowly in a bit of butter or oil with some chopped onion and apples mixed in. A splash of acid like basalmic vinegar with help retain the color. Annie gave me the idea on a WFD thread of cooking red cabbage with pears and it was a great combination.

I also like to steam red cabbage wedges in apple cider and serve with grilled bratwurst.

This post was edited by ruthanna on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 18:48

o

Oh yum! We eat a lot of red cabbage as Ruthanna has described. As an aside, it freezes after cooking very well and then can be heated in the micro for a fast side mid-week.

/tricia

o

-Make sauerkraut.
-Dehydrate it.
-Canned pickled cabbage (link below)

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Cabbage

o

I made it last week for DH as a side dish with roast chicken. I was out of apples so along with the oil, seasonings and balsamic,I added a large spoonful of orange juice concentrate. I keep it on hand in the freezer to add in for flavor. I don't eat cabbage, but he told me that this recipe (what recipe? LOL) was a keeper!

o

Sharon CB, a long-time contributor to this forum, posted my favorite red cabbage recipe:

BRAISED SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE

Serves 4 - 6

1 TBS olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 large apple, cored and chopped
1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly shredded - (6 cups shredded)
1 full cup (9 fl oz) apple juice (250 ml) [I like to use cider]
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS sugar substitute [I use real sugar]
1 teasp sea salt
1/2 teasp freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a deep frying pan. Cook the onion and apple for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the cabbage and toss well.
Add the apple juice, vinegar, sugar substitute and seasoning and stir.

2. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the liquid reduces completely and the cabbage is tender. Check seasoning and serve.

o

First thing that comes to mind is Borscht (spelling). Haven't had it in years.

o

I made this for lunch today.... great use for end of the garden produce and basil. -Grainlady

CRUNCHY CHOPPED CAPRESE SALAD
(source: Mrs. Dash)

Makes 4 servings

2 tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups) [You could easily use less.]
1 c. diced fresh mozzarella cheese
1 c. shredded cabbage
2 T. chopped fresh basil leaves
2 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. Mrs. DASH Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend (I used much less.)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Toss well to coat.

o

LOL.

Here's a link to a recipe for meat loaf, mashed potatoes and red cabbage as seen in A Christmas Story

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes??!!

o

I use Sharon CB's recipe too. If I have some on hand, I'll fry 2 pieces of bacon and use a bit of the fat for cooking the vegetables. Then crumble the bacon on top of each serving. But it definitely doesn't need bacon -- it's delicious as is.

o

I also use SharonCB's recipe, or this one with pears from Cooking Light:

Spiced Red Cabbage with Pears

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
6 cups sliced red cabbage
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 bay leaves
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled Anjou pear (about 2 pears)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in cabbage, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir in pear, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick.

I think this would work with green cabbage too, but not as pretty.

Annie

o

We have some huge heads of red cabbage to deal with, so I'm glad to see this thread.

I made one of the heads into this Ruby Kraut (full recipe link below). A nearly-five-pound head fit into a half gallon wide mouth canning jar...I must be a good smoosher, hehe. It turned out great. We made cole slaw with it the other night...a little mayo and a tich of sugar...yum.

Ruby Kraut
Makes 4 quarts

Ingredients:

For the vegetables
4 pounds red cabbage
1 pound carrots
3 tablespoons pickling salt

For the spices
2 teaspoons celery seeds, divided
2 teaspoons dill seeds, divided
2 teaspoons black peppercorns, divided
2 bay leaves

For the brine (optional, if needed)
4 cups water
2 tablespoons pickling salt

A couple of years ago I made a batch of Spiced Red Cabbage from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Wasn't too thrilled with it, and then I threw a pint on the stove with a couple of browned pork chops nestled in and cooked it slow. Really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Kraut

o

My first year out of a gardening dozen to have tiny cabbage heads. Just a couple dozen and one new (to me) variety that is a pointed cone shape. Very loose core of leaves. Seems some army of bug used them as an out-house, but still clear leaves unharmed. (i oh so rinsed it!)
I made similar....sauteed onion, garlic, matchstick cut beet, shredded cabbage and a couple asian pears. Covered and steamed till barely soft. Tossed in some celery leaves and ac vinegar and a bit of lemon juice at the end. Had planned to freeze the leftovers but it was so good we ate it all.
No need for a sugar with the sweet pears.
It keeps so well in the fridge i have a few more to make another side dish. If i had a bigger harvest i would freeze it prepared for a winter side dish or an addition to a soup.

o

This salad is a nice change of pace for a picnic or party.

RED CABBAGE AND ROQUEFORT - 16 servings

2 medium heads red cabbage
1 1/2 cups crumbled Roquefort cheese
2 cups chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
3 1/2 cups Hellman's mayonnaise

Remove the outer leaves from each head of cabbage and reserve. Core the cabbages and finely shred them. Place the shredded cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of the cheese and 1 cup of the parsley; toss to combine.

Whisk the mustard and mayo together and add to the cabbage mixture and toss to coat thoroughly.

Line a large serving bowl with the reserved cabbage leaves. Spoon the cabbage mixture into the leaves and garnish with the remaining Roquefort and parsley. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here