SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

$3.00 challenge

beth_b_kodiak
11 years ago

My oldest daughter has challenged the women in our family to "create a shopping list and menu's that will feed two adults on $3.00 a day/$21.00 a week". Kate added that we should assume we had "nothing" to start with.

Most of us fancy ourselves to be both good and thrifty cooks, so the game was on. Three of us accepted her challenge, at least for a try. It has been fun to watch how the plan was developed by different cooks in different parts of the country. Two had gardens and home canned goodies and two were totally or mostly relying on grocery store foods.

After the first week, three of us switched to doing monthly lists and menus. That made the process and the menus much better.

Anyone else want to try? We can learn a lot from each other and it is fun too.

To be more realistic, I'm going to say that you can use basic seasonings like salt,pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon etc that you have on hand; and , if you have your own canned goods or supplies try to assign a realistic value to them so you are truly working within the $ limit.

Try this and post your menus, shopping lists and questions. Then we can put our brains together to come up with some good solutions.

Comments (65)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grainlady, I love reading your posts. Thanks for the terrific info you share.
    No, I didn't buy the greens at the farmers market. I came home and smiled happily at the ones in my little garden. I did buy an eight pound winter squash for $5.00 They have been $1.49 a pound at the grocery store. I love finding things on sale but only buy what we want, need and use. That's a challenge too but I do enjoy it.
    I would definately need a price book and would use one but Jack has a great memory for numbers and prices. He'll read the adds with me and then say where the best prices are. I used to question his memory but rechecking never proved him wrong. LOL I have trouble remembering the phone number
    I also like buying #10 cans of tomato products. I freeze one cup portions and then bag them up for use as needed.
    Potato chips was probably the first thing where I noticed how much money was wasted for the convenience of someone else doing the cooking. My Dad fried both white and sweet potato chips for treats and the were the best I ever ate. And, why in the world would anyone pay 2 or 3 $ for a bag containing about 4 oz of popped corn?
    Do you make bagels too? I have been thinking about trying them as they are one of my favorite treats.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Just played around a bit with my supermarket's web site. Even at sale prices, $3 would be tough. $4 I could probably swing it. (Long Island, NY prices.)

Peppi - Your complaint about the challenge reminded me of a favorite quote from the movie Road Trip. "It's supposed to be a challenge, it's a shortcut! If it were easy it would just be the way."

Grainlady - Smaller fruit means more servings per pound? Is that kind of like ordering a double martini so you can truthfully swear to the cops or your spouse that you only had one? ;-)

• Related Discussions

Great Program on PBS this Weekend Plus Addtnl Airings

Q

Comments (1)
    thanks
    ...See More

2 days of garden talks at UCONN in March

Q

Comments (2)
    Ooh, Monique, thanks, that looks great. I'll put it on the NewEnglandGardenEvents calendar at blogspot. Too bad Dan Hinkley is only speaking on the 8th; but he'll be in CT (at the Olivers Nursery Symposium) on Jan 13 too.
    ...See More

Great Program on PBS this Weekend Plus Addtnl Airings

Q

Comments (3)
    In case anyone missed the PBS special The Botany of Desire which premiered Wednesday, October 28, 2009, you can still watch the entire program online. It's incredible. BOTANY OF DESIRE is a documentary which tells the utterly original story of everyday plants and the way they have domesticated humankind. An interpretation of the relationship between plants and people. This two-hour documentary explores plant evolution and takes viewers from the potato fields of Peru and Idaho, the apple forests of Kazakhstan, and the tulip markets of Amsterdam. View online in it's entirety: here This is another related program by the same presenter on LINK TV (a cable access channel) which is timely: Deep Agriculture Traditional methods of agriculture in most developed nations have long ignored environmental concerns. Factors such as soil erosion, water shortage and the impact of chemicals on bio-systems have been overlooked in favour of massive crop yields and cheaper food. But what impact does this have on our health and our environment? View online in it's entirety: here __________________________ Sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and witness the evolution of an Organic Kitchen Garden.
    ...See More

X-Post: Shipping an O'keefe & Merritt cross country

Q

Comments (3)
    My business purchases big stuff that gets shipped, and there absolutely is liability on the carriers if things are damaged by them. These 2 clauses would give me pause: 1. For damages that result in mishandling such as bumping, dropping load shifting, etc the maximum amount the company can be held liable is $3.00 per pound per item -How much does your stove weigh, and does this cover its value? Also, make sure that they also refund your shipping fee if they break something to the point you have to buy another one (and pay for shipping it). 2. Company X expressly does not recognize loss in value to any cargo item physically damaged as the result of mishandling. -What??? If they mishandle it and damage it and it's worth less, they don't pay up? I suppose if they repair it so it's worth the original price, that would be ok. But anything that they damage would be worth less, so this seems like a wriggle-out clause.
    ...See More
  • beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FOAS, Three dollars is really tough. $3.50 or $4.00 makes a big difference. I looked for some of the $3.00 a day challenges for food stamps and found they were $3,00 per person. By now that seems easy!
    A couple years ago I tried to convince my boss that fruit might be cheaper per serving for smaller pieces compared to a little less per pound. She never did get it. At Girl Scout camp, we cut fruit in half in the mess hall. If a kid wanted two or three pieces, that was OK but most were happy with just a half or occasionally 1/2 banana and 1/2 orange or apple.A good saving and much less waste.
    I just did a $21.00 shopping list for my Dollar store. They have a large food section including breads refrigerated items and frozen foods. One of the best I have found.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

beth_b_kodiak-

I'm not a fan of bagels, probably because I never had one until I was in my 40's and thought it was akin to chewing on a tire, and probably never had a "good" one. Too high in carbs, low in nutrition, for our casual use, but you certainly can make them at home. You need high-protein bread flour and read up on the tips and tricks, because there are a few. Here's a recipe from King Arthur - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/a-dozen-simple-bagels-recipe

You're right about choosing bulk popcorn over using pre-packaged microwave-type. We have popcorn on "Movie Night" - Saturday (movies from the Public Library - FREE). We use 1/4 c. for the two of us. I buy it in bulk from the Farm Supply Store in 10# bags. I also use it for milling into cornmeal.

foodonastump -
    You're too funny. I'm counting how many apples are in a bag to get more servings, and wonder how much would a double martini take out of my food budget :?) Basically, alcohol doesn't fit into a frugal food budget at our home, nor do soft drinks and other empty calorie drinks. I justify my 100 bags of tea for $1 because it's supposed to be good for you (I can justify chocolate for the same reason - lol).

How cheap are we? Went out to Wendy's after church with friends and we spent under $5 for both of us because we are the great meal splitters. We split a 5-piece chicken nuggets, Caesar side salad and plain baked potato and water to drink. There was $6.66 left in the food budget from last week and decided to blow it eating out.

-Grainlady

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

This does bring up the biggest point, that it's not all about nutrition! Food feeds our soul as well as our body and unless you are satisfied with what you eat - and how much- it won't work for the long term.
    Some people spend more on food ( notably the French) while others don't put the same value on those things.

I will never have a bare bones food budget but that is my choice. I do not care about most electronics- don't have an ipod anything and don't want one and have a non smart phone- but the quality of the salmon we eat once a week or so is important. The food my dogs eat costs more than two dollars a pound, sigh.

However, this thread is a food challenge and I am always interested in learning new things although I may blow the savings on a good bottle of wine :-) (or a new pair of shoes).

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is not my original $21.00 week. I did this one in consideration of the transportation and easy access issue.
    This Dollar store is great for the scope of foods. I know not all will have this much variety
    1 spaghetti, 1 #
    2 Hunts spaghetti sauce with cheese 1 can
    3 rice 1#
    4 instant potatoes
    5 elbow mac 1#
    6 bread
    7 hot dog rolls
    8 milk
    9 milk
    10 canned beef stew
    11 ramen noodles 5 pks/ $1.00 (beef)
    12 Chef Swagger dry soup, onion 3/$1.00
    13 Chef Swagger chicken noodle soup 3/$1.00
    14 pinto beans 1#
    15 Baked beans 24 oz can
    16 cheese food 12 slice pkg
    17 margarine 1#
    18 diced tomatoes 24 oz can
    19 hot dogs
    20 oatmeal
    21 can sardines.
    I would have rather spent my last dollar for a box of teabags but decided that was not really food.
    This assumes you will have some of your preferred seasonings available to use. Salt,pepper chili powder, cinnamon, garlic powder etc.
    Healthy? No Balanced? No, but filling and OK for an emergency. Suppose your credit card is maxed out and you have blown a tire or have a horrible toothache or some emergency of your choice.
    A lot of this stuff can be purchased for less per # or serving but this was easily available.

• jessicavanderhoff
    11 years ago

I enjoy reading threads like this, and try to squirrel the information away in my brain, but I count myself very lucky that I don't have to live that way. I agree that food does more than keep us alive. A lot of times, it is my main creative outlet. I feel terrible if I get most of my calories from carbs, so I don't buy into that stuff about 'stretching' meat with filler either. And while I don't mind buying stuff that has to be slow cooked, I usually buy really good quality meat. That factory farmed stuff that hemorrhages saltwater in the oven just doesn't do it for me. I also have read and believe that deprivation in one area often leads to excess in another. Often it's overeating the cheap junk foods you can afford, but other vices can come into play too. Counting pennies and meal planning for weeks or months ahead depresses me; I believe in shopping often and eating what I'm in the mood for. If you don't want to be tempted to spoil yourself with quantity, you have to do it with quality. When you're on such a tight budget, you're stuck wasting calories on low quality food when you buy something that doesn't turn out to taste good. You find a 5 pound sack of potatoes for $1, but they're soft and tasteless? Oh well, you're stuck with 'em for 10 meals. Maybe they'll be palatable if you deep fry them. I am interested to find my perfect grocery budget, where I'm not tempted to eat out because there's nothing good in the fridge, not spending $12 on gas to save $8 on my grocery bill, not sacrificing nutrition, still feeling like I can be creative, etc. Some weeks I do better than others. But buying quality seems to be crucial to me. I'd rather have good rice and beans with a couple of eggs on top than crappy chicken.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

The secret to saving money big-time on food is buying in bulk, and unless you have the time and energy to develop the skills that Tricia and Grainlady have been talking about here, it may not be feasible for you. But there is another way to go--a food co-operative. These institutions were founded by low income people to help them meet the challenges of buying food in bulk. There are all kinds of ways people can act collaboratively to share food, prevent waste and save money. Food security is about way more than recipes and which stores offer the cheapest foods for you to buy. I have a friend who actually gleans a significant amount of his food from fruit trees and bushes he finds around town as he bikes, which is his main mode of transportation. In the summer many folks have gardens overflowing and I worked with folks who were trying to create sharing institutions to capture that bounty so it didn't go to waste. Not taking food for granted is a very personal thing for me, it informs a lot of what I do in my life. One of the most difficult issues for me is being single. It's hard to take advantage of the bulk principle. It would be much better if I could join a group of people who got together and cooked food for the group once a week. I know such institutions exist, but I haven't found one for myself yet. I suppose I should just found one, but I'm too busy commuting this way and that to find work.

• akmo
    11 years ago

Grainlady, Thank you so much for all the great references and suggestions! Do you mind if I share them with the rest of my family who are trying to do this challenge and learn new ways to live frugally? I'm the one (Kate )of whom Beth was speaking who started this challenge with our family, but not all of us read GW. (I'll credit you and GW). Again, thank you for your ideas!

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

akmo-

I'm flattered you found information you thought worth sharing :-). That's what message boards are all about. As I've often posted - a good friend once told me knowledge isn't knowledge until you share it.

I recently spent quite a bit of time researching WWI and WWII rationing (Cuba just celebrated 50-years of rationing), and it was an eye opener to resourcefulness.

My conclusion is that the U.S. would have to ration microwavable chicken nuggets and french fries, because there are many people lacking the tools and training to face austerity. I spend most of my classes at the Food Bank teaching cooking basics, and a lot of classes are teaching youngsters who more and more are in charge of meal preparation while parents work.

I think we can all learn from these life lessons, whether by choice or unforeseen circumstances and they become necessities. Good luck with your challenge.

-Grainlady

• jadeite
    11 years ago

I hope no-one takes what I say personally, but there are many issues overlooked in seeking the cheapest way to feed ourselves. I've been there - as a longtime student I ate for pennies, learnt how to shop and cook thriftily. These are lessons I use every day.

But if you eat by price alone, you contribute to the philosophy that everything is ruled by the dollar. So we have food contamination and recalls, pink slime, poor environmental practices and inhumane treatment of animals. All this is to provide food at lowest cost to the most affluent society on earth. Americans pay a smaller fraction of their net income on food now than at any time since WW II.

I used to whine about feedlots and the loss of arable land when DH said I should put my money where my mouth was. So for about 8 years now we have sought out small local farmers for our meat and produce, people who raise their animals on pasture, free of prophylactic antibiotics and hormones. All our eggs and poultry come from free range animals. We try to buy from farmers who farm sustainably and responsibly. All this raises our food bill.

BTW I know of very few small farmers who are making much money. Profits go to agribusiness, not to the people who produce the food. When I shop I look for businesses who treat their employees well and aren't trying to squeeze every penny from food producers who deserve to make a decent living.

I take this as my personal challenge - can I feed my family in accordance with our personal principles and stay within a reasonable budget? I do this by careful meal planning and cooking. We seldom splurge on extravagant foods and have virtually cut out restaurant meals.

IMO we eat well, though not cheaply, and not without a fair amount of time to plan, shop and cook. A few years ago I estimated our food bill to be about $6 a day for two of us. I think today it would be around $10. I can't imagine how to do it on $3 a day. JMO.

Cheryl

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Meat 2$ or less per pound boy would I love to live where you do regular ground beef goes on sale here for $1.78 lb but I really don't think you can get anything else under 2$ per lb. Oops I am wrong 3 times a year we can get turkey's for 99 cents to $1.29 and every once in a while we can get old laying hens on sale. Not suffering here but I don't think we could do it here on 3$ a day.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

$2 or less per pound is what I look for, but I also have a $10 limit per week, at any price. So I try to find $2 or less per pound bargains - ground turkey, pork loin (grind my own sausage, cut my own chops, roast and shredded pork...), chicken breast/tenderloin, frozen chicken legs/thighs, whole chicken, turkey/bone-in breast, ground turkey, turkey legs, ham, some breakfast meat, and a reality check of $10 total.

-Grainlady

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

This has peaked my curiosity whether I could do this again or not. Growing up very poor, I know that it is possible to live on pinto beans, potatoes and poor-man's gravy and biscuits, although I hope I never have to again. I do remember that a picnic ham went a long, long way back then. Mostly carbs with a tiny bit of meat. Canned or powdered milk because fresh wasn't an option on once-a-month government checks. Also fresh fruits and vegetables were rare for the same reason, it was mostly canned. But a sack of flour, cornmeal, and bacon grease at the end of the month was sometimes what kept us from going to bed hungry.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

I think I could do that. I stretch meat by making casseroles or slower cooker meals with lots of veggies and potatoes or rice. We usually get at least 2 meals out of one dinner. I have made meals for 3 people that cost about $5 for the whole meal.

I buy meat from the clearance section at the grocery store if not expired and looks good. I just got some good deals for 50% off. I found Teryaki seasoned salmon fillets 50% off, 2lbs for $7.40. I also got 8 pork chops for 50% off, $7.95. At least that was good prices out here in CA. I don't know if it would be in your area. I put them all in the chest freezer.

I buy potatoes and rice in large bags because they keep in the pantry for quite awhile. I do use fresh veggies from the garden, but when I don't have any I use canned. Buy everything on sale and stock up on the good deals, is the way we stay on budget.
    Clare

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

-You really don't "stretch" meat by using less per serving and increasing the carbs (starches) like rice and noodles/pasta. Most people already consume far too many starchy carbs, and most of them lack nutrition and fiber. Don't confuse volume and empty calories for good nutrition.

-It is suggested we consume 6-8 servings of grains per day, and try to make at least half of them wholegrain. I personally stick to 4-servings (based on the old Basic-4) and make all of them wholegrain. We gain weight when we increase it much beyond 4 servings per day. In order to feel fuller longer, make high-fiber choices.

-What is a serving? 1 slice bread, 1 oz dry cereal (check nutrition label for cup measurements of different products, 1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal (about the size of a baseball).

-In order to "stretch" meat try combining it with a high-protein, low-cost alternative, which would be eggs, beans/lentils, dairy, nuts/nut butter, seeds, tofu, TVP (which I never recommend using because it's the most processed "food" ever made).

I use "wheat meat" (the gluten protein from wheat) as a high-protein meat extender and make it with vital wheat gluten + water (I purchase in #10 cans or bulk amounts), and I can wash the gluten out of freshly-milled whole wheat flour to make "wheat meat" (aka seitan or gluten). You can flavor it to mimic beef, chicken, etc. I mix ground meat 50/50 with ground "wheat meat". Nine cups of baked ground "wheat meat" is equivalent to 3-pounds of cooked hamburger.

-Another cost effective addition to your diet, instead of meat, is protein supplement powders, such as whey protein or whey protein isolate. Make a high-protein smoothie with milk, juice, or fruit for breakfast.

-Add boiled eggs to tuna when making tuna salad (a low-costing protein - eggs, and a high-costing protein - fish), serve a small portion of meat with beans (chili) or small chicken tenderloin and white beans.

This recipe is better choice than a high-carb casserole.

Tuscan Rosemary Chicken and White Beans

1/3 c. purchased Italian salad dressing
    4 boneless chicken tenderloins
    1 c. sliced carrots
    1 c. sliced celery
    (Note: I've also added frozen veggies like green beans, broccoli, stir-fry mixtures, and add more than the recipe calls for)
    1 t. dried rosemary leaves, crushed (or a small sprig of fresh rosemary - perfectly fine without rosemary, or use another herb of choice)
    1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans (white pinto beans), drained, rinsed
    (Save more money by using dried beans and "cooking" them in a Thermos. BEAN MATH: A heaping 1/2 cup of dried beans = one 15-oz. can. OR, 1-1/2 c. COOKED beans, drained = 15-oz. can. One pound of beans = approximately 6-cups cooked.)

Heat salad dressing in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, and rosemary. Cover; simmer 10-minutes or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear. Stir in beans. Cook until beans are thoroughly heated. 4-servings.

Serve with 1/2 c. brown rice or cornbread for your grain serving.

Vegetarian Substitute for ground beef. 1 c. lentils 1 c. rice (choose brown rice when possible) 4 c. water Cook like rice. This mixture can also be mixed with cooked ground beef as a meat extender. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \-A serving of meat is 2\-3\-oz. (or about 21\-grams of protein, or about the size of a deck of cards). It's recommended you consume 2 servings of protein per day. You also get plenty of protein from other non\-meat foods. \*100 grams of Roasted Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds provide 33 grams of protein. \*Fish \- Yellowfin Tuna provides the most with 30 grams per 100 gram serving, or about 8 grams per ounce. It is followed by Anchovies(29g), Salmon(27g), Halibut(27g), Snapper(26g), and Tilapia(26g). \*Lentils, Pulses, and Peanuts \- Lentils, pulses, and peanuts (a legume) are a great source of protein. Peanuts provide the most protein with 23.7 grams per 100 gram serving or 6.6 grams per ounce, 0.2 grams per peanut. Lentils provide the most protein when consumed raw at 25.8 grams per 100 gram serving, and 9 grams per 100g serving cooked (17.9 grams of protein per cup) "Amaranth, oats, buckwheat and quinoa all have more protein per 100g than soy (14.5g, 16g, 13.25g, 13g respectively)." \-Grainlady
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Yesterday, Shoprite:

Pork shoulder - $0.89 a lb
    Perdue chicken quarters - $0.79 a lb
    Bananas - slightly blemished skin, perfect interior, $0.29 a lb.

Local fish/seafood store - fish trimmings, salmon heads and tails with a lot of good meat, $0.40 a lb.

Local produce store - blemished fruits and veggies $1.00 10-lb bag.

dcarch

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I can't see how 4 chicken tenderloins would make 4 servings though. Things like that would just make me go out and buy a steak or something! Sorry, grainlady! I LOVE your bread and dessert recipes (and your wisdom) but I can easily eat 4 tenderloins myself.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladies, sorry to be MIA, I have been preoccupied with reports from the East Coast. I have now heard from or about all but one relative ( brother in South Jersey) and just a few friends in Southern MD. Some are still stranded in homes with no power or heat but feel lucky to be alive. Others have no homes to go back too.
    So much destruction and heart break.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

GrainLady

"I use "wheat meat" (the gluten protein from wheat) as a high-protein meat extender and make it with vital wheat gluten + water (I purchase in #10 cans or bulk amounts), and I can wash the gluten out of freshly-milled whole wheat flour to make "wheat meat" (aka seitan or gluten). You can flavor it to mimic beef, chicken, etc. I mix ground meat 50/50 with ground "wheat meat". Nine cups of baked ground "wheat meat" is equivalent to 3-pounds of cooked hamburger."

This is new to me how do you make it and does it look like meat? My first thought was of the chicken breasts from Subway but maybe I am way off. I add oatmeal to make my hamburger stretch but never heard of "Wheat Meat" You have made me curious.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Bumblebleez -
    Sorry, you missed my points about protein entirely, but maybe I didn't make my self clear. The recipe is a COMBINATION of protein sources - meat and the meat alternative, beans.

Chicken tenderloins (which is about 1 to 1.5 oz. of protein) PLUS the cannellini beans (8 grams of protein per 1/2 c.) will add up to make a serving of protein.

In other words, a small amount high-price protein - chicken PLUS the low-priced vegetable-source protein - beans, is a better way to "stretch" meat - you will have two high-protein foods, instead of using pasta/noodles or rice, which have very little protein and are basically "dead" foods. When you add brown rice or cornbread to this meal, the beans and grains = a complete protein as well.

-Grainlady

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Grainlady - I am aware of all those protein alternatives you mention. I was a vegetarian for close to 18 years. Most of the ones you mention especially "wheat meat", eggs, dairy, nuts/nut butter, seeds, tofu, TVP are not a viable choice.

This is what I have to deal with when making meals,
    Gluten Intolerance
    Lactose Intolerance
    Allergies - eggs, nuts, soy
    Diverticulosis - seeds and nuts
    Flatulence - beans (and I have tried all the ways of cooking them to prevent that but nothing seems to help. And he won't take Beano)

So I will continue to "stretch" my casserole dishes with lots of veggies and potatoes and rice. We don't like to eat much meat anyway, still basically prefer a vegetarian diet.
    Clare

• annie1992
    11 years ago

As Grainlady mentioned (and I've said before), a serving of meat isn't a pound, it's a few ounces and most of us eat far more of it than is necessary or even good for us. If you're eating on $3.00 a day for two people, that's got to be one of the items that's used in serious moderation.

Many recipes like the ubiquitous stir-fry have a little meat and a lot of other stuff, but still plenty of protein. Fried rice usually has a little meat and some egg. Those peanut butter noodles come quickly to mind as well.

Many things will have to be made "from scratch". Noodles, for instance. Here I can get a one pound bag of noodles for $1.69. For $1.99 I can buy 5 lbs of flour and $1.29 will get me a dozen eggs. Add some water and salt and I can get a lot of noodles. If I go out to the backyard I can get a handful of herbs to go in those noodles. If I didn't have an herb garden I could still forage some lambsquarter or purslane or dandelion greens to add color and flavor. You'll definitely need to think outside your normal "comfort zone".

Some small neighborhood meat markets that cut their own meat will still give away or sell beef bones for a minimal charge (here it's 29 cents but it used to be free). They call them "dog bones", but there is still lots of meat and flavor on them for a batch of soup. Beef Barley would be nice, or use some of those noodles.

Grainlady also mentioned whole grains. Whole wheat flour is the same price as white flour, at least it is here. Whole wheat bread costs the same to make as white bread, but is more nutritious. At this price point you'll need to wring every bit of nutrition out of everything you eat.

Portion control will be crucial. As Bumblebeez mentioned, many people want more meat than that. At $3, you just don't get more, you'll have to give it up and wait until the experiment is over to get that big ole' steak.

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

CLBlakey-

The link below shows one method for making "wheat meat", which also is known as seitan or gluten if you are looking for more information on-line. It can be baked, steamed, and simmered in stock or water - depending on the texture or taste you need. It is a common protein source for vegans and vegetarians.

In the book, "The Amazing Wheat Book" by LeArta Moulton, there are recipes for making it into meat-like products like ground beef, sausage, meatballs, shredded chicken, cutlets, jerky.... There is even a recipe for making gluten-based "hot dogs" on-line.

I make the ground version into a high-protein granola-like "cereal", which has a lot of uses from a mock Nestle Crunch candy bar to making a press-in crust for a pie.

The book has a lot of information and recipes, but occasionally seeing-is-believing, and I'd suggest a video:

Quick Wholesome Foods (Fast, Nutritious Meals from Whole Grains, Beans, Seeds, and Powdered Milk) by Rita Bingham & LeArta Moulton - which you will need to order on-line from http://learta.com/.

We use "sausage" flavored "wheat meat" as a meatless topping on pizzas, patties for breakfast, crumbled in scrambled eggs. It definitely is different. After several test products, we like it best ground as a high-protein meat extender or "sausage".

Meatloaf is another example of mixing a high-priced protein (meat) with low-priced protein (eggs + a grain-based binder) as a meat extender.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Seitan

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Thanks - now to find a place that sells wheat gluten.

• dixiedog_2007
    11 years ago

I have not read the entire thread but I'm sorry I could not take on this challenge.

Where I live to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks would be IMPOSSIBLE to do for even one person. I'm feeding two right now. I would lose the challenge hands down.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

aptosca-

YIKES! Lots of food challenges, especially when you are on a strict food budget. :-( I've dealt with all of them for one person or another in my family at different times, so you have my sympathy.

I assume there isn't a blood glucose problem or predisposition to diabetes to deal with. If there is a blood glucose issue, you really have to get creative and switch to something like low-glycemic Chana Dal Beans (Bob's Red Mill - http://www.bobsredmill.com/chana-dal-beans.html). I use them like I would garbanzo beans or split peas. Chana dal beans make a great hummus dip. Every 1/4-cup dry chana dal beans has 9-grams protein and significantly less carbohydrates, especially the high-glycemic carbohydrates associated with rice. Chana dal - one of the lowest rated foods on the Glycemic Index.

Have you tried sprouting beans before cooking them to take the "back-talk" out of them? Even using the sprouting method, start introducing beans in small amounts into the diet.

Lentils are one of the least expensive foods in my pantry ($1.07 per pound at Wal-Mart), and most versatile. I nearly always sprout them to increase the nutrition and make them easier to digest. (See link below for more information.) I use lentils in so many things - snacks, desserts, breakfast bars, waffles, soup, stir-fry, tacos....

There is another method for cooking beans where you brine them overnight in heavily-salted water (the salt doesn't penetrate the beans significantly). I'll have to check my file to see if it also reduces the gas issue.

Have you ever made arepas using P.A.N. flour (pre-cooked white cornmeal)? An economical gluten-free bread you can make in a skillet/griddle. I remember how expensive gluten-free bread was when my mother was buying it.

Another protein alternative I've just started experimenting with is Pea Protein Isolate - each 30 gram serving of this supplement provides 25 grams of protein.

Seeds can be pulverized and ground.

Try fermenting homemade kefir using milk and real kefir grains. No special equipment needed - a quart jar with a lid and it ferments at room temperature. The fermented yogurt-like food has significantly less lactose, and the small amount that is left is easy to digest. The higher the fat content, the lower the lactose in dairy products. Make kefir using whole milk for a higher fat content. I use kefir as a substitute for buttermilk. We use kefir as the base for our morning smoothie. Drained kefir curd is used like plain yogurt, cream cheese, and sour cream (just drain it to the consistency you need/like). Find a use for the whey. We make whey lemonade with it. Kefir is a great budget-friendly, high-protein food. As a dairy-free alternative, I make coconut milk kefir using powdered coconut milk (reconstituted with water). You can use coconut milk for puddings, desserts, as a substitute for milk in some recipes, or as a beverage.

"Besides containing highly beneficial bacteria and yeasts, kefir is a rich source of many different vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids that promote healing and repair, as well as general health maintenance. (2) Kefir contains high levels of thiamin, B12, calcium, folates and Vitamin K2. It is a good source of biotin, a B vitamin that HELPS the body assimilate other B vitamins. The complete proteins in kefir are already partially digested, and are therefore more easily utilized by the body. Like many other dairy products, kefir is a great source of minerals like calcium and magnesium, as well as phosphorus, which helps the body utilize carbohydrates, fats and proteins for cell growth, maintenance and energy. (3)"

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourishing Days - sprouting

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

CLBlakey-

You can find 1-pound boxes of vital wheat gluten at the grocery store in the baking isle if you want to give it a try (Hodgson Mills is a common brand available). Some stores also carry it in their bulk bins, especially at health food stores.

I purchase 6/#10 cans at a time(for long-term home food storage), or a 50# bag from Honeyville Grain (link below). It costs $4.49 for your entire shipment from Honeyville Grain, and they have 10% and 20% off sales several times a year (get on their e-mail list to get notification).

For raw gluten I use 2 c. vital wheat gluten, 1/3 c. whole grain or bean flour of any kind - I usually mill my home-grown, high-protein amaranth into flour to improve the nutritional profile of the "wheat meat". One cup of raw amaranth contains 28.1 grams of protein and is an excellent source of lysine. Mix with 2 c. hot water. Season it if you like with 3-5 T. soup base or seasoning mix (Lipton Onion Soup Mix, Taco Seasoning - if you want to use it for making tacos, etc.). You could easily cut this recipe in half for a trial batch. There are so many recipes out there so do a search on-line.

Be sure to do the math..... I'm using vital wheat gluten that was significantly less expensive than what it costs today, plus I purchased it during a 20% off sale.

A #10 can (3.5-pounds) = about 10-pounds of "meat".

60-pounds of wheat milled into flour will = 20-25-pounds of gluten.

4-cups raw gluten yields:
    -512 gluten cubes - 1/2" x 1/2" (great for using in soup/stew/casseroles) OR
    -150 "meat" balls OR
    -20 "steak" slices - 4x1/2"

4-cups raw gluten bakes into 9-cups ground gluten.

BTW - I was up-front with hubby (Mr. I-Love-Hamburgers) and told him I was going to try incorporating "wheat meat" in our diet. Honesty is the best policy. After a lot of testing, we came to the conclusion we liked it best as a meat extender (50/50 blend), ground as a burger substitute, or ground and seasoned to use as a sausage substitute. One of these days I'm going to try the gluten hot dog recipe. So little time, so many things to try ;-).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyville Grain - Vital Wheat Gluten

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Grainlady - Thanks for the information. We were vegetarians till our son was 4 and found out he couldn't digest any other proteins except meat. So I have been experimenting with what he can and will eat for 24 years. Also found out he was lactose intolerant and more gluten sensitive than intolerant later on, as is DH. Son consumes only lactose free milk and dairy products. It is great that all the grocery stores are carrying all kinds of gluten free products now. There was hardly anything 30 years ago, even at the health food stores.

All of DH's family are either gluten intolerant or sensitive. DH is the one that has sensitivity to eggs and soy though there are family members of his who are allergic and can't eat them at all. It is fun to try to cook a dinner for his family. That is when I just serve a hunk of meat, plain potatoes and veggies. I am the one with diverticulosis and aren't suppose to eat seeds and nuts.

Son also can't take beans and I have used all the methods to reduce gas. I use to use dry beans all the time and would soak them overnight then cook them slowly. Also tried adding baking soda to them when cooking them. And tried recipes with digestive spices such as ginger, turmeric, and fennel. Nothing has worked. I just think it is the way his digestive system works. And he is not wild about them, flavor or texture. When I do make homemade baked beans or chili or red beans and rice, I just make it for DH and me. I love kefir and drink it all the time. It really does aid one's digestion. Also eat lots of yogurts.
    Clare

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Next time I go to town I will check to see if I can find some. I would like to try mixing it with ground chicken to make those subway breasts (I have a thing for them) not sure if it would work to mix in raw meat before cooking it. I watched some Youtube videos but none showed mixing. Thanks for the do the math info as if it is not cheaper I may not try it. The link you send won't ship to Canada. OH well somewhere in town must have it. Thanks for all the info.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Not to beat this dead horse and hopefully not sound as though I'm waxing prosaic....

The $3 challenge came up in a lively conversation with friends over dinner (a lot of "I remember when....".) We were all old enough to have gone through lean times at least a few times in our lives, and decided most people don't expect to be in circumstances where there is such austerity, and those who find themselves there probably don't plan on staying there forever. It's usually circumstances beyond their control that make it so.

Then there is the other side of the coin, like those taking on the $3 challenge, or me with a self-imposed $125/month food budget which I realize equals the huge sum of $4.1666 per day (based on 30-days, for 2 adults).

Lesson #1: I'm better equipped because for 18-months I built a 12-month stock-pile of food (on a $200/month budget). The budget was dropped to $150/month for a year, and I increased the "Seven Survival Foods" (grains, legumes, seeds for sprouting, salt, sweetener/s, oil and powdered milk) to enough for 3-years. Remember the story of the grasshopper and the ant?

Lesson #2: I've invested in the right equipment and developed skills over the years to make it possible to deal with living-on-less, as well as ways to use less energy and water for food preparation and clean-up.

Through it all, we've never felt deprived, nor have we gone without anything and always have a well-balanced diet. We're probably healthier due to our whole foods diet (whole foods tend to be healthier choices), so there could be an up-side to frugality.

Here are a few menus I found in the back of my first loose-leaf notebook cookbook from the early 1970's when hubby was in college and every penny counted. Each day had around 1,200 calories.

Breakfast: cost 15-cents
    1/2 c. orange juice
    2/3 c. cooked oatmeal
    1 c. milk
    cup of hot tea

Lunch: cost 58-cents
    Ham sandwich
    carrot and celery sticks
    1 small pear

Dinner: 60-cents
    Italian Baked Chicken
    1/2 c. cooked green beans
    1/2 c. cooked sliced carrots
    1 c. mixed green salad with dressing
    broiled grapefruit

Snacks: 35-cents
    2 c. milk
    1 small apple
    1 tangerine
    ------------------------

Breakfast: 27-cents
    1 small orange
    1 poached egg
    1 slice raisin bread
    hot tea

Lunch: 55-cents
    Individual meat loaf (made in a muffin tin)
    1 slice bread
    4 radishes
    1 stalk celery
    1 tangerine

Dinner: 68-cents
    Chicken livers
    1/2 c. cooked rice
    relish plate: 1/2 c. raw broccoli, cucumber slices, carrot sticks, 2 green onions
    1 baked apple

Snacks: 21-cents
    2 c. milk
    3 prunes
    -----------------------------
    Breakfast: 15-cents
    1/2 c. grapefruit juice
    1/2 c. cooked cereal
    1 c. milk
    hot tea

Lunch: 69-cents
    pot roast sandwich
    cucumber sticks
    1 small carrot
    1 small pear

Dinner: 68-cents
    Poached fish with mustard sauce
    1/2 c. cooked spinach
    1 small boiled potato
    relish plate
    1 slice pineapple

Snacks: 26-cents
    1 c. milk
    1 small apple
    1 tangerine
    --------------------

Breakfast: 19-cents
    1/2 grapefruit wedges + 1/2 banana sliced
    1 poached egg
    1 slice raisin bread
    hot tea

Lunch: 40-cents
    Lentil Soup
    1 slice rye bread, toasted with
    1 oz. cheese melted on top
    1 small orange

Dinner: 60-cents
    hamburger patty
    1/2 c. cooked rice
    1/2 c. cooked diced carrots
    1 c. mixed green salad with dressing

Snacks: 25-cents
    2 c. milk
    carrot and celery sticks

-Grainlady

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Grainlady, I'm intreaged with those muffin-sized meat-loaves. Would you be kind enough to give recipe, cooking time, and whether they freeze well?

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Grainlady your menus remind me of my grandma! She raised three kids and lots of extended family through the Depression. To the day she died, she ate hot cereal for breakfast every single day. Most of the time it was oatmeal but she also ground her own wheat berries for cracked wheat. That's definately one way to save money and eat healthy. There are so many ways to mix it up with different grains. I just can't do it in the summer, but we make our own granola/meusli type cereals too.

Grainlady could you perhaps expound a little more on your low energy cooking methods? That's something I'm trying to do. I just have an electric stove and it is so inefficient.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

ritaweeda- Just use your regular recipe, divide into single-serving portions in a muffin tin, bake (reduce the baking time to accommodate the smaller size. Although you can find recipes on-line, or try these general instructions: http://www.makeandtakes.com/mini-meatloaves-in-a-muffin-tin

lpinkmountain-

Different types of Thermal Cooking:

-Thermos "Cooking" - http://www.thermoscooking.com/thermos-cooking-basics/ (Great for a small amount of beans, rice, oatmeal, grains....) All you need is boiling hot water and a good quality thermos.

-Thermal Cooker (an expensive piece of equipment) but it's supposed to save about 80% of the energy. http://www.amazon.com/Get-Prepared-Stuff-Thermal-Cooker/lm/R2JDIMG62OQFDL

-Wonder Oven (aka Wonder Box, Wonder Box Oven) Same principal as a Thermal Cooker, but at a much lower cost. I made 8 (under $10 each) for Christmas gifts this summer. I sold two of them to a friend and recovered most of my investment. I've even baked bread (it's actually steamed) using this method.

http://preparednotscared.blogspot.com/2010/10/preparedness-project-wonder-box.html

Do a search and you will find more information about the Wonder Oven.

-Solar Ovens - I have three different solar ovens and use them as often as possible - bake bread/rolls/cornbread, casseroles, soup/stew, entrees and desserts. You can make your own with information on-line.

-(Sharp) Microwave/Convection Oven - I can bake two loaves of bread in 20-minutes WITHOUT pre-heating (costing 3-cents). Reduce baking times from 25-50%. I can stack 3 12-inch pizza pans and bake 3-dozen cookies at a time in 5-9-minutes.

It costs 2-cents per loaf to bake in my Zojirushi Bread Machine, but will only bake one loaf.

-Induction hot plate - Reduces cooking time because it cooks so much faster and is energy efficient. Fastest way to bring food up to a boil for placing in the Thermal Cooker or Wonder Oven.

-I've never been a big user of slow cookers (aka Crock-pots) and only use one a few times a year, but that's an option. In 1976 we purchased Saladmaster Stainless Cookware and I can stack a whole meal (or more) in different pans and cook it at a low temperature using one burner, so the same low-and-slow theory.

-Heat water using an electric kettle. It's the most cost and energy efficient. The water comes in direct contact with the water for fast heating. When you place a kettle or pan on a stove, the kettle/pan has to heat first, some of the energy is lost in the air, so that's an energy waster. When I compared appliances using 5-cups of water:
    *Electric Kettle - 5-minutes, .11 kwh
    *Sharp Microwave - 13-minutes, .29 kwh
    *Induction Cooktop - 8-minutes, 15 kwh

The reason I calculated 5-cups of water was because we use 1-gallon of "saved" water (water that normally goes down the drain waiting for hot water to take a shower) to do after meal dishes and clean-up. Five cups hot water heated in the electric kettle placed in a small plastic tub + 5-cups cold water, and use the remainder of the gallon for rinsing.

We run our dishwasher once a week on the shortest cycle to keep it in running order. We hand-wash flatware, pots/pans, bakeware, plastic....

-Grainlady

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Just some random thoughts...

I need to really go through this tread as there are so many ideas here. One that I started already was buying the smaller bananas to get more servings out of the bunch.

Some of it is just too much for me. I don't have alot of space to buy too much in larger quanties. In the past when I did this I ended up having to throw things away.

Also it appears for me it would be a full time and a part time job. Sorting coupons, reading all the ads, comparing, driving to different stores. Detailed meal planning and grocery lists. Tracking your food supplies, extra cooking, etc.

Recently I tried to find cheaper places to buy wild caught salmon and other meats. I called around, shopped around. In the end I did not like the quality of the "cheaper" fish and meats. I'm back at my butcher who may or may not have the cheapest price but has the best quality. Haven't been buying salmon at all at $19 per lb.

For other groceries, I shop at a store that offers everyday low prices and has excellent customer service, is clean, etc. While another local store has sales it is often is still more expensive then my regular store and is often for foods like lunchables which is not high quality food.

As for the dollar store I hate them. This is a strong statement but I feel they take advantage of people. Usually the price per serving is higher than in the supermarket. Example, kraft makes a special mac and cheese box for one of the dollar stores. Yes its a dollar but per serving you are paying more than at my regular supermarket. I take my mother there occasionally as she really likes it, (groan) I spend my time in there pointing out how expensive it really is.

I'm a tea snob and won't even drink lipton, lol, I wish my tea cost $1 per box!

Lately the only way I seem to be saving any money (just a little) is buying say a roast and making the leftovers into other meals.

Right now DH is hunting and I hope we can fill the freezer with some venison.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

One chicken - 6 meals.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make 6-meals from one chicken.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

As I was looking at this week's grocery ads I also found pancake mix, the kind that takes only water. A box says it has 26 servings of 3 pancakes each and eggs are $1.29 a dozen. So, a person could have 3 pancakes for 7 cents and some change and an egg or a bit over a dime, making a serving of each (but no syrup/etc) for about 18 cents.

I make my own pancake mix for home use with whole wheat flour and some multi-grians, but it takes eggs, oil, etc., none of that is "built in". It's far healthier but in this case, not cheaper.

Like Grainlady, I could get 6 meals out of chicken, if I had to. Roast the whole chicken, first meal is legs, one per person. Second meal is thighs, with BBQ sauce, one per person. Third meal is one breast, split between two people. Fourth meal is the other breast, also split between two people. Fifth meal is some casserole, like pot pie, made with the meat "scraps" and wings. Meal six is soup made from the carcass. All meals must rely on sides like vegetables or pasta or potatoes, dumplings or noodles, etc.

Annie

• jadeite
    11 years ago

annie - I would bet your pancakes are delicious! And the instant mix is loaded with preservatives and chemicals. Why would anyone want to eat these no matter how cheap?

We also make a mix with whole grains which we keep in the freezer. The recipe is from the King Arthur's whole grain cookbook. DH loves these, they are so much better than anything from the grocery store. I don't know how much they cost (I suspect pennies per serving), and I really don't care.

Cheryl

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I grew up with chicken portions identical to what Annie has just described. I am forever grateful that I haven't had to eat that way since reaching adulthood. I know from reading the posts here that some have never lived on a shoestring. I'm not sure I know anyone who wants to volunteer.

My aunt and uncle took me in (I was 7) when my father died. They did it for the sole reason of increasing their income. They lived on two tiny social security checks and the amount I received doubled their monthly income. I weighed 65 lb at 14 and 80 lb when I graduated from high school .... I'll just say that food portions were limited. Yes, I have a small frame, but not that small!

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

You can figure 1-2 (3-oz.) servings per pound for a whole chicken. The smaller the chicken, the less meat there is per pound. Choose a roasting hen over a fryer, when possible.

Boneless meat I try to keep to no more than $2/per pound. Bone-in I look for $1 or less per pound.

I jotted down some recipes I make from 1 chicken.

-oven-baked, whole
    -fried or oven fried (parts)
    -chicken stock
    -white chicken chili
    -chicken noodle, rice, or vegetable soup
    -chicken and dumplings
    -chicken (and chickpea) stew
    -chicken lentil soup
    -black bean and chicken taco or taco salad
    -chicken pasta (casserole)
    -chicken Alfredo
    -chicken/veggie quesadillas
    -chicken tortilla soup
    -chicken pot pies
    -Shepherd's pie
    -chicken enchiladas
    -chicken/veggie wraps
    -chicken (and spinach) pizza or bbq chicken pizza
    -bbq chicken
    -baked chicken nuggets
    -hobo packets (in foil)
    -chicken and biscuits
    -chicken cobb or chef salad
    -chicken fried rice
    -chicken salad
    -chicken stir-fry
    -Tuscan chicken (with white beans)

-Grainlady

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

You can get good prices on chicken hearts, liver, gizzards, necks.

dcarch

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

That's terrible, Beachlily. I always had enough to eat, but we still had meat portioned out - but I was never hungry.
    I see leg quarters on sale all the time, sometimes lower than .50 cents a pound. I think that is a good deal and will go far but too many people want frozen nuggets...

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Cheryl, I agree on the boxed pancake mix, it's awful. However, for the purpose of this challenge a person would have to purchase all the ingredients to make a homemade mix, which would be more economical over the long run but put a person over the $3 a day for the immediate time frame.

I like pancakes, I grew up eating them as a snack, cold and sprinkled with sugar. In this challenge they could also be used in place of bread with some peanut butter or as a "base" for yogurt and fruit. I was going to say as a sandwich with a slice of bologna but that's just too disgusting to think about, even on $3 a day!

Beachlily, my childhood was much happier than yours, at least my Grandmother and parents loved me and kept me fed. I remember times when Dad would ask "what's for dinner" and Grandma would reply "whatever you can shoot". If he didn't shoot something, it would be fried mush, leftover from the mush we had for breakfast. We couldn't afford to be picky, but there was always something, we didn't go to bed with empty stomaches. I still remember when I was a child and Dad and Mother were discussing purchasing the farm. Dad said that he might not make any money but he could sure grow a lot of vegetables on that much property and his kids would never be hungry.

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

Bisquick (or the lower-priced store brand version), or a homemade baking mix for even more $aving$, can be used for pancakes, muffins, waffles, Impossible Pie recipes, biscuits, pizza crust, cakes, cookies, quick breads, etc. A more versatile choice than "pancake mix". The link below is for the base recipe plus recipes using it.

If you don't have enough ingredients to make a large batch:

Bisquick Substitute By-the-cup:
    1 c. flour
    1-1/2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    1 T. fat
    ------------------------------
    If it's pancakes you want...

Light-as-a-feather Hot Cakes

1 egg, slightly beaten
    3/4 to 1 c. milk
    2 T. melted shortening, butter, margarine or cooking oil
    1 c. flour
    1/2 t. salt
    2 T. baking powder
    2 T. sugar
    Combine egg, milk and oil. Add dry ingredients; mix until smooth. Freeze any extra pancakes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Although oatmeal is a great low-costing breakfast food, not everyone likes it. These recipes may improve plain old oatmeal.

PEANUT BUTTER GRANOLA
    great as a snack or breakfast cereal
    Melt together:
    2 T. butter
    1/3 c. peanut butter
    1/3 c. honey
    Add:
    1/2 t. vanilla
    1/4 t. salt
    Mix in:
    3 c. oatmeal

Spread on a baking sheet. Bake 325-degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
    -----------------------------------------

If you have leftover COOKED oatmeal, try this scone recipe. I often make 1/2 a recipe. They freeze well.

COOKED OATMEAL SCONES
    source: http://www.food.com/recipe/cooked-oatmeal-scones-46876

2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 cup cooked oatmeal
    2/3 cup milk
    1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour ( or a bit more)
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt the butter and honey together, and mix them into the cool, cooked oatmeal. Mix in the milk, half at a time. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. You may wish to adjust the salt depending on how much was used in cooking the oatmeal- I am assuming not very much, if any. Mix the flour into the oatmeal. If the mixture seems too moist, add a little more flour. (This will depend on how moist your cooked oatmeal was. When enough flour has been stirred in, the dough will form a rough ball.) Roll out to 1" thick and cut in wedges, or scoop it out with an ice cream scoop and flatten it to 1" with dampened hands. Bake on a greased and floured sheet at 350�F for 15 to 20 minutes.
    ---------------------------------

There are lots of recipes for oatmeal pancakes, or oatmeal banana pancakes, which would be a nutritional improvement over regular pancakes. I make oatmeal/sprouted lentil waffles - no flour, no eggs, no leavening. They are a complete protein since they are a mix of grain and legumes.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Ready-Quick Mix

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Grainlady, with the ready-quick mix, can that be frozen for longer life? I would not use all that in 6 weeks.

Also can you make waffles with that?

thanks,

Debra

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I could do it, but the menu sure wouldn't vary much. Pasta is cheap ($1) and some cheese ($2), so is a loaf of bread ($1)and a jar of peanut butter ($2), some eggs ($2) and a protein ($3), frozen veg ($1), a bag of apples ($3), milk ($3) and tax ($1.66)-and I'd be done. It wouldn't be great, but I could live off of it for a week. I would, of course, change it up. I could have mac-n-cheese one night and the next, toss the baked chicken in with the pasta with a white sauce and some cheese tossed in. The next day could be a chicken on toast with the same sauce. Not that many variations could be done, but it'd be doable for a week. I've done it before! $3 a day isn't all that hard in Tennessee. If you get all thirty day's money at one time, then you can vary it more easily. Monthly makes all the difference in the world.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

debrak-

You sure can freeze the baking mix for longer storage. :-) In fact, if you use whole wheat flour in the mix, it's important to freeze it to keep the whole wheat flour from going rancid. Refrigeration and freezing doesn't prevent it from going rancid, it merely slows it down.

Follow the same recipe for pancakes to make waffles.

Another option is to make 1/2 or 1/4 recipe - whatever fits your needs. I make a low-carb version, and this is the time of year I make Impossible Pie recipes for Q&E inexpensive meals (Impossible Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving - I substitute double-strength powdered milk for evaporated milk, Impossibly Easy Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie, Lasagna Pie, Cheeseburger Pie... Check on-line for "Betty Crocker Bisquick Impossibly Easy Pies" recipes if you don't already have a few favorites. I generally make 1/2 a recipe for two people and bake it in a small pie pan or an 8-inch square baking pan. I also make two and freeze one, or freeze them in serving-size portions. Half a recipe is more than enough for a meal and lunch the next day for us.

You'll find another version of the recipe at the link below, and it includes waffles.

Helpful hint: Believe it or not, using an electric mixer to blend the ingredients is the best way to incorporate them.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic All-Purpose Baking Mix

• slowlane
    11 years ago

Awhile back, DH discovered a blog by a single man who took on the challenge of eating well on $1 a day. He used coupons to accomplish this and ended up following the program for over a year and amassing a goodly sum of "leftover" money.

While I'm not sure I agree that this is actually eating "well" and I personally don't buy much that typically carries coupons, the blog does have some interesting ideas, so I thought I'd post it for anyone who is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eating Well on $1 a Day

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Robin, I understood that it was $3 a day for two people, or $1.50 per day per person. If it's $3 a day per person, heck, that's a piece of cake!

Grainlady, I agree, a baking mix is far more versatile than pancake mix. However, I was operating on the assumption that I'd be doing this for a week, or a month, not indefinitely, and that all ingredients would have to be purchased "up front". If I'm only spending $1.50 per day I can't put the egg INTO the pancakes, I have it with the pancakes.

debrak, I also make brownie mix, from King Arthur's website, and I make my own sausage seasonings and rubs, I never buy the commercial stuff. I even found a "homemade" mix for Hamburger Helper for my sister and I make hot chocolate mixes for the kids and flavored instant coffee mixes for my girls.

Homemade mixes are just as convenient as the store bought ones and far cheaper, plus you can control the ingredients.

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

FYI - You can leave the egg out of pancakes, including the recipe I posted above, and they will be perfectly fine. There are lots of recipes available on-line for eggless pancakes, and they are similar to my recipe.

If you need to economize on eggs, purchase flax seed from the bulk bin (it is $1.99/pound here). Eight ounces ($1.00) = 24-25 eggs (@ 1 T. flax per egg).
    --------------------------------------------------

How far will a 5# bag of flour go.... (18-22 cups per 5# it varies greatly due to flour type and how you measure it)

3-4 c. flour per loaf of bread

1-3/4 c. flour per 12-muffins

1 c. flour = 6 pancakes

2 c. flour per 3-dozen cookies

1-1/2 c. flour = six 8-inch or twelve 4-inch tortillas

-Grainlady