SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

I Have A Question About Garlic...

amck2
11 years ago

Yesterday I made the Pot of Chicken w/ Lemon & Garlic dish that is pictured on the cover of Dorie Greenspan's "Around My French Table" cookbook. It's a family favorite, but it was the first time I made it for my parents.

The recipe calls for the cloves from 4 heads of garlic to be browned with vegetables which are then cooked in a Dutch oven (with a 4 lb. chicken nestled in them) for an hour. Wine, broth & herbs are poured over the chicken, making a yummy sauce.

The directions say to separate the cloves from the head of garlic, but NOT to peel them. It results in deliciously roasted little pods of garlic that you can squeeze onto accompanying bread slices with which you can sop up the sauce. The problem....it's hard to find all the garlic cloves and sometimes they blend in with shallots or onions and if you should swallow the papery cover, you feel like it might get caught in your throat.

So, my questions is, do you think it would work to somehow corral the garlic cloves in a cheesecloth packet that would cook with and flavor the vegetables, but would keep the garlic separate so the cloves could easily be removed? Are there any obvious flaws with this plan that I'm just not thinking of?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor