SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Thanks to barnmom & grainlady!

triciae
11 years ago

A few weeks ago, barnmom provided a link to Just Tomatoes, Etc. (justtomatoes.com). By coincidence & relating to another topic, grainlady recently posted a link leading me to a cookbook pertaining to muffin tin cooking.

This morning the two came together in a fantastic mini-muffin. From Just Tomatoes, Etc. I had ordered a pound of freeze-dried pomegranate seeds and was looking for a fun use for these little jewels. I also purchased the Kindle version of Matt Kadley's Muffin Tin Chef for inspiration in preparing moist all-in-one meals in muffin sized portions. The book gave me Matt's website (muffintinmania.com). On the website are these wonderful muffins...

Pomegranate Olive Oil Cakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup finely ground almonds

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

Zest of 1 lemon

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/3 cup milk

1 cup pomegranate seeds/arils

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix together flour, ground almonds, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs, sugar, and zest with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to low and slowly add in olive oil. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in 3/4 cup of the pomegranate seeds. Divide mixture among 12 muffin cups and top with remaining pomegranate seeds. Bake for 28 minutes, or until slightly brown on top and a tester comes out clean. Let cool before unmolding.

I made the recipe as written except for using my freeze-dried arils and baking in mini-muffin pans. These little guys are reasonably healthy and a definite keeper!

So, this is a big shout-out "THANKS" to barnmom & grainlady!!

/tricia

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths