Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanks to barnmom & grainlady!

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 15:22

A few weeks ago, barnmom provided a link to Just Tomatoes, Etc. (justtomatoes.com). By coincidence & relating to another topic, grainlady recently posted a link leading me to a cookbook pertaining to muffin tin cooking.

This morning the two came together in a fantastic mini-muffin. From Just Tomatoes, Etc. I had ordered a pound of freeze-dried pomegranate seeds and was looking for a fun use for these little jewels. I also purchased the Kindle version of Matt Kadley's Muffin Tin Chef for inspiration in preparing moist all-in-one meals in muffin sized portions. The book gave me Matt's website (muffintinmania.com). On the website are these wonderful muffins...

Pomegranate Olive Oil Cakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup pomegranate seeds/arils

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix together flour, ground almonds, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs, sugar, and zest with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to low and slowly add in olive oil. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in 3/4 cup of the pomegranate seeds. Divide mixture among 12 muffin cups and top with remaining pomegranate seeds. Bake for 28 minutes, or until slightly brown on top and a tester comes out clean. Let cool before unmolding.

I made the recipe as written except for using my freeze-dried arils and baking in mini-muffin pans. These little guys are reasonably healthy and a definite keeper!

So, this is a big shout-out "THANKS" to barnmom & grainlady!!

/tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanks to barnmom & grainlady!

WOO HOO! You go girl! -Grainlady

o

Those do sound good. Great flavor combination. I love pomegranates but rarely bother, they are so fiddly! The freeze dried seeds sound like the way to go.

Eileen

o

Pictures! Pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here