SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Interesting Spanish menus compared

jakkom
10 years ago

Spanish cuisine is sweeping the Northern CA San Francisco Bay Area. We have several in the East Bay where I live, and of course one of our local celebs, Michael Chiarello, has just garnered an award as Esquire's Chef of the Year 2013. Chiarello's new San Francisco restaurant Coqueta is Spanish-style tapas, and one of the hottest seats in town.

Today I was reading a local review on yet another Spanish restaurant called Iberia, south of SF in what we call "the Peninsula" or South Bay.

I love to go to restaurant websites and personally find reading the menus both inspiring and interesting. Reading Iberia's menus made me go check out Coqueta's menus (we haven't been to either yet). It was interesting to see what was similar and what was different. I thought some other folks here might find it fun to do some menu comparisons too.

There's a difference in style, btw: Coqueta is pretty much geared towards tapas, being in a tourist area; whereas Iberia offers a more traditional Spanish experience. Iberia's tapas menu is only available at the bar, while the dinner menu for sit-down service shows dishes that are more complex and intriguing than the tapas menus.

I'll also post a third menu link, to Paul Canales' Duende tapas restaurant in Oakland, which is more similar in style and intent to Chiarello's Coqueta. Canales has a very gutsy, earthy style of cooking; being more of a local neighborhood restaurant he can get away with stronger and less-familiar flavors than Chiarello's Coqueta is able to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Chiarello's Coqueta menu

This post was edited by jkom51 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 15:21

Comments (3)