Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 15:02

Did anyone else notice this announcement at the top of the page? It's being discussed a lot on other GW forums. GW now has a FB page (and Pinterest account, which I don't use). This means whatever we post here may show up on FB. The very first picture is Annie's Salsa.

Here's why I am not going to Like the GW FB page. I post stuff here that I may not want to share with people I know who are not part of GW. I like keeping my two internet worlds separate. A lot of my FB friends are also GW friends, but that's okay.

If I Like GW, then my neighbors, former neighbors and old school friends may Like it too, then follow it here and read stuff I post that is not meant for them. Of course, my screen name here is not known to anyone not on GW but lots of people know my first name and use it here, as I do with them.

I realize of course that my neighbors could randomly find this place, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

And, I realize that GW is wide open to anyone on the internet, there is nothing private about it. We all signed a privacy agreement when we signed up and I guess that says that whatever we say and post belongs to them. Lots of sites require that permission.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

Pam, thanks for the heads up. I just looked at the Gardenweb Pinterest page and found two of my photos on their food board. Usually when someone pins one of my photos it links back to Thibeault's Table and to the recipe. That is not the case with Gardenweb. Not only does it not link back to where the photo came from, it also does not give credit to the owner of the photo.

~Ann

o

The very first photo is my batch of Annie's Salsa. I don't mind the use of photos of food but some kind of credit or link back would be appropriate. I certainly will no longer post any photos of family or anything personal. Yes, we all agreed long ago that anything we post here becomes the property of GW. Now we see the consequence of that agreement. And it sucks.

Pinterest contains food photos by other CF posters I noticed. Again, credit should be given.

Eileen

o

When the world of the internet started it was taught that it is an open postcard for the world to read and it still is that way. I have to admit that I'm shocked over how open some people are on this board as if they are "hidden" and no one will see what they post. It's free game in the world of the internet today and will only get worse as time goes on.

o

OBVIOUSLY it's a search for additional revenue,
(somebody wants mo MONEY).
I don't do 'Facebook' because they want too much
private information. And 'Pinterest' seems to be
a spinoff. So, if Garden Web, (cooking
forum), goes that route, then I am history.

o

Thanks for this important heads up! NO, I will not LIKE the GW Facebook page either and I don't do Pinterest.

o

I don't want to lose this CF community. I registered back in April of 2002 and many here are old and dear friends. I won't leave the CF, however I refuse to open a door to this share this world with others who are Facebook acquaintances and their extended network.

o

Wow, thanks from me also! Yes, I know about the privacy agreement but my feelings are almost identical to dedtired's. Certainly zero photos and if I post at all it will be minimal. I also have not joined Facebook or Pinterest.

What a bummer! :(

Regarding the photes...since we signed that agreement, they are giving credit for the pixs..TO THEMSELVES! It s@cks. :(

/tricia

o

Pinterest is great, I've become a big fan.

How GW decides to get involved is not up to me but we all need to realize that our posts belong to GW. Pinterest has grown at a rapid rate over the last year and websites of all types are taking notice. The hits generated from Pinterest to a site like GW can generated higher ad revenue. Nothing wrong with that.

I've been directed to many new-to-me sites as the result of looking at recipes on Pinterest. I wonder if GW has thought about having a blog like section for cooking, where we could post recipes with pictures and pin to them.....could be fun. I've seen some doing that. Keep the CF separate. They would still get all the hits.

Sites like GW are going to lose out if they don't embrace the new ideas.

Nancy

o

Ann, is there any way to stamp Thibeault's Table onto your photos? I know some people do that and that way it would always be yours.

I understand that GW really needs to take advantage of FB and Pinterest, we, the posters here, need to keep that in mind when posting. What we post here is now going even farther than GW. That said, I don't intend to give up FB or GW and may even give Pinterest another chance (because I don't waste enough time on my computer now).

o

dedtired:

"What we post here is now going even farther than GW."

That's my point dedtired. It has ALWAYS been that way but some of you think that this is some "private" board. What you post here does not just stay on GW it is all over the internet and can be easily found and that is why I'm stunned at people posting pictures of the grandkids, family, etc., etc.

o

Pam, In the past I wasn't a fan of adding a copyright mark or name to a photo. But, I think that might be what I will need to do.

Like Nancy, I also like Pinterest. Great place to look for recipes. Facebook is just an extension of Thibeault's Table. I don't use it connect with family and friends.

~Ann

o

I agree, it's time to watermark images.

E

o

I don't care if they use my food photos, I don't blog or do foodgawker or anything else like that.

I'll sure be certain to cut down on personal posts, though.

As for family pictures, Ashley has Madison's pictures all over Facebook, Elery's kids post pictures of their children too.

As for "Like", it's too late, Elery already did that. Can you retract a "like"? I don't do Facebook, so I don't really care, but Woodie emailed me last night and told me that my salsa recipe was there on the front page.

Annie

o

I take it all back. We were both given credit on the GW Facebook page. And yes, you can unlike a fan page.

Eileen

o

So what am I missing? I don't see that message on the GW nor can I find a GardenWeb page with photos on FB.
Is my Adblock really working?

o

Since I only visit or post in the Conversations area about twice a year and haven't criticized my Facebook family or friends' cooking here on the CF, I don't think I'll post any differently next week than I did last week.

Thanks for calling our attention to it, ded.

o

If you keep clicking through on the Pinterest pictures, it will take you back to the original cooking forum post.

o

OK, elery walked me though it, but I still have zero idea whether it's "liked" or not. I hate Facebook. I hated it before, now I really hate it.

Annie

o

My best friend's wife is the best cook ever. So are you, Mom!

o

LOL at FOAS.

Compumom, if you put GardenWeb in the search box on FB, it shows you the top four, but then click on the See More Results and you will find the GW page. On the CF, look above the list of threads to see the notice. I hope I just made some kind of sense.

The GW FB page also provides a link back to the GW forum from the picture they hijacked, er, um, I mean reposted.

o

Got it, thanks! It's not very "search friendly" is it?

o

Dang. No complaining about family for me this holiday season :-D

o

I understand Facebook, Pinterest and Santa Claus have just done a three-way cross-marketing and data-sharing deal. Facebook supplies the naughty and nice data, Pinterest the Christmas list, and Santa the loot and venison. Have I mentioned what a Good Boy I have been all year?

o

I missed the announcement also. Can someone direct me to GW on Pinterest?

o

Jessica - It's only a problem if they can figure out who you are...

o

I got a lot of heat on the Kitchen table. I know and knew we could always copy photos etc. I dont like the idea of someone designated by GW posting them on FB I have an averioon toFB I wrote to GW about it but no answer yet I used the CONTACT link at the bottom of the posting page maybe if someone else contacted them we'd get some answers.

o

The links to FB and Pinterest are on the top of the main Cooking Forum page under "What's New at GardenWeb?".

o

Oh John, John, John. We can always count on you.

o

The only organization I've ever "liked" on Facebook is the cat rescue group I volunteer for. Other than that, I refuse to "like" any business, no matter how much I really do like them. I just think it would be inviting spam, or other nuisances.

That being said, nearly every business has a Facebook page - why not Gardenweb? I'm surprised they took this long. They should credit photos, though.

Sally

o

John, Funny. Love your response.

I don't say anything on GW that I wouldn't want family or friends to see. So I'm not worried about GW Facebook. I would like photos shared on Pinterest to at least link back to a post on the CF.

~Ann

o
RE: NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest! 11

I'm trying to figure out how GW is pinning photos to Pinterest. I thought photos could only be pinned from blogs.

If you try to pin from Facebook, that doesn't work either.

~Ann

o

Ann, you can get a "pin it" button from Pinterest on your tool bar and pin a picture from almost anywhere (NOT Facebook.) The photos on Pinterest DO link back to cooking forum posts.

o

Ann, there is a tool on Pinterest called "Pin It". I have it on my bookmarks and I can pin anything I find on the web to one of my boards.
On your Pinterest page, right next to your name, click on About and then click on Pin It Button.

Nancy

o

It's not that I ever say/write something on GW I regret sharing here...it's that I have a relative out there somewhere that I don't want to EVER contact me again. Some of you understand why. I know they participate on Facebook & I stay away from Facebook to avoid any potential contact. I consider them dangerous to my safety & they have physically harmed me in the past. Now sure, I could hide from the Internet entirely. But, I don't figure they would ever have an interest that would draw them to GW. I don't know how Facebook works since I don't participate. I don't want to go to bed every night worrying that tomorrow might bring that person back into my life.

It's the not knowing part I don't think I can live with & still feel safe.

/tricia

o

Nice, but is there a Gardenweb app? Hard to do on an iPad, impossible on a phone.

o

I just checked out the Pinterest link. If you click on a picture of food on the GW Pinterest page, it takes you back to the Cooking Forum. Unfortunately it has that crazy formatting that says "? teaspoon", rather than quarter teaspoon, or whatever. I think that happens when you cut and paste a recipe rather than type it all in. I was looking at the Dirt Bombs picture.

I find Pinterest to be more "anonymous" than Facebook. I used a phony (but cute!)name to sign up for Pinterest.

o

EW! If I needed another reason to cut GW from my list of frequently visited sites, this is it! I just found my Blueberry post listed promnently on Pinterest. I post onPinterest, but what I choose to post - not what someone else chooses to share on another site.

If I do post here in the future, it will be a fully sanitized, uninteresting commentary.... BLECH!

Alexa

o

I'm at least glad to know that none of my pictures will ever be good enough for anyone to "pin" them. Others who actually take time and care in taking their pictures, though, those are going to be "lifted", I'm afraid.

I like some changes, not others. I think I might not like this one so well...

Annie

o

Alexa, I don't see a your blueberry post on Pinterest. It's not on the GW board. Someone else must have pinned it.

Remember, anyone can pin anything they find on the web to their boards. It will show up on the general feed for that subject and on the feeds of those that follow you and on your own feed. You can see pins five different ways.

Nancy

o

Nancy - it was apicture of Ann T's Blueberry Oatmeal Bars (I think) and the thread it linked back to was this one...

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: blueberry thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here