Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bread Machine /Zojirushi questions?

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 15:02

I had been planning on buying a bread machine when I happened onto a Zojirushi BBCC-S15 at GW for $5.00. Then discovered another identical machine at another thrift for $18.00. I bought the first one. It looks well cared for and hardly used, however the measuring cup and spoon is missing.

I am thinking that these are either older technology or someone got tired of bread baking. Before I buy the second one (for a daughter), tell me the cons of this machine and the advantages of newer models. I know some prefer the horizontal loaf, but if I'm not using it to bake, it shouldn't matter.

Also, is there anything special about their measuring cup/spoon that I need to order replacements or can I just use my own?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bread Machine /Zojirushi questions?

I bought an older model BBCC Q20 Zojirushi at the thrift store too. It was still in it's box and didn't even look like it had been used. It had all the parts including the measuring spoon and cup. I have compared it to another 1 cup measuring cup and it is the same. Also true for the tablespoon and teaspoon measuring spoon. So if you already have accurate measuring spoons and cups, you don't need those.

The only problem I have had is the bread, if baked in the machine, rises too much and sticks to the top. That is probably due to operator error rather than the bread machine. Most of the time I bake it outside of the machine in the oven because I want a round or other shaped loaf. Otherwise it is the best bread machine I have had. I can't think of any cons at the moment. I have baked all kinds of bread from all whole wheat to oatmeal to molasses rye and they all came out great whether I baked them in the oven or machine.

Hope you enjoy your machine as much as I have mine.
Clare

o

Newer machines may be made in China, which may not mean they are lower in quality.

dcarch

o

I have an older one and I love it. I seldom bake in it, because I like the crust better in the oven, so I can't tell you how well/poorly that works.

I use any bread recipe I have and haven't had a failure yet. Wet ingredients first, dry next. Yeast in last. Dough setting. I haven't found that any measurements are different and I can make whole grain loaves and thick dense doughs without problems.

I love the Zojirushi I have, I only hope yours serves you as well. Mine has chugged through hundreds of loaves of bread, getting used at least two or three times weekly and it's still going strong.

If it quit tomorrow I'd buy another one in an instant!

Annie

o

I believe the Zo you purchased is the original (or next generation) that makes a small loaf in a bucket (recipes will have around 4-cups of flour in them for this machine). I have a friend who has used this model for nearly 20-years making one loaf of 100% whole wheat bread each week for all that time.

The measuring cup and measuring spoon are cheap plastic and nothing that will make or break your breadmaking experience. You ALWAYS need to check the condition of the bread dough because you may need to adjust the hydration. Check the dough about 5-minutes into the kneading. The dough should be formed into a very soft, sticky ball. If the dough is sticking to the sides or the bottom of the pan, you need to add a bit more bread flour. If the dough is crumbly and not in a ball, or if the ball appears firm, add more water. It is better to err to a wet dough than a dry dough.

I rarely bake bread in my Zo, but it's great at mixing dough. I generally bake my bread in my Solar Oven or in my Sharp Convection/Microwave Oven. I don't like the holes the paddle/s leave in the loaves.

-Grainlady

o

I forgot to include this earlier. I don't if you have the manual with yours or not. Mine has some great recipes for the machine and lots of good information on using the machine.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe book and manual

o

I have the same model Zo, also picked up at a thrift store. I mainly use it for dough like most everyone else here. The only downside I've found is that it only makes a 1 1/2 lb loaf vs a 2 lb loaf. It does an outstanding job of kneading!

Tracey

o

Tracey, if you don't bake in it, can it knead larger than 1 1/2 lb?

dcarch

o

I think it will knead a little bit more but keep an eye on it if you let it rise in the machine. Otherwise it will probably overflow the pan.

Tracey

o

The Zo S-15 is supposed to have a 4-cup capacity if you bake or use the dough cycle in it. To be on the safe side, if you use a recipe with 5 cups of flour (much more than that and you might risk burning the motor out - especially if it's 100% whole wheat dough), take the dough out of the bread machine as soon as the kneading cycle is done and let it raise in a bowl or dough-rising bucket. Too much dough rising in the bread machine bucket will actually push the lid off and you could have a messy clean-up session on your hands. You can prevent that by taking the dough out and letting it raise outside the bread machine.

I'd also suggest scaling (weighing) your dough so you use the correct size loaf pan.

Jumbo Pan - 10x4.5-inches - 4-5 c. flour - 2+# of dough
Quick Bread Pan - 9x5 - 4 c. flour - 2# of dough
Standard Loaf Pan - 8.5x4.5 - 3 c. flour - 1.5# of dough
Medium - 7.5x3.5 - 2-1/2 c. flour - 1# of dough
Small - 5-3/4x3-3/4 - 1-1/2 c. flour - 8-oz. of dough

-Grainlady

o

How do you people get so lucky with finding those...my guess is the $18 one will not be there if it's in good condition! All I ever find are junky old worn out ones and the one I bought that wasn't worn out did not even turn on! GAH! OH and our GW store thinks everything is made of GOLD apparently. I go to thrift shops and garage sales all the time and still never find any Zoji!

Thanks Grainlady for that chart of loaf pan sizes, I was wondering this the last loaf I baked!

o

arkansas girl, I'm with you and can seldom find good buys. I say seldom only because after months and months of looking I did find my daughter a Nesco roaster. By the time I found the roaster I could have bought a new one for all the gas I used up looking.

o

Lol Mine was $1.99! It's the BBCC S15 model so its older. I really don't think the thrift store had a clue that it was a high end machine. They get bread machines in all the time and priced it to sell. My GW on the other hand charges an arm and a leg for appliances. I paid $11.99 lat week for a dehydrator.

Tracey

o

I've never found a Zoji or a Kitchen Aid or any high end appliance at GW either. I sometimes find canning jars, but they want $1 each for them, I can buy new ones with lids cheaper than that. Baking pans and cookware are pretty well used too, I sure don't find copper or All Clad.

What I do find are the "normal" appliances like GE or Rival, and relatively unused bakeware like tube pans. I did find a brand new OXO salad spinner, the big one, for $1.99 so I do get some good buys but nothing like a $18 Zojirushi or a $30 Kitchen Aid Mixer or a $5 All Clad skillet!

Craigslist here is the worst, people want more on Craigslist than I can buy it new sometimes. I've tried to buy two things on Craigslist and got no call back on either of them. I've tried to sell a couple of stepmother's items on Craiglist, like her 2 year old Maytag dryer, but I get no valid calls, just a lot of SPAM.

As a result, I don't go from place to place, I just stop in the second hand stores or GW when I happen to be in the area, I never make a special trip.

Annie

o

Thanks for all of your responses!

Aptosca: Thanks for the link to the manual. The person who donated this had printed one off, but I see it's for another model. There was also an obviously used, whole wheat recipe included w/notations that I may try. And glad to know I don't need measures.

Annie: Love your simplified version of how to make bread. I printed it off--I hate reading instructions. Also, glad to know you love your Zo.

Grainlady: Thanks for those loaf pan measures-another thing I printed out. Also appreciate all the tips on how the dough should look, hydrating, etc.

Tracey: You really got a bargain! Glad to hear it kneads well.

Arkansas Girl: I haven't had time to go back and you are probably right about it being gone.

I am going to be gone for about a month, so won't be trying it out for some time. When I do, I will probably be back with more questions!

Thanks again!

o

lizbeth, I've found that bread is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. It can be an exact science, weighing every ingredient (but you still won't get the same results every time with bread, the variables are too great), or you can use a recipe, dump the stuff all together and mix/knead. You do have to check the hydration levels in either method, because of the age of flour, the brand, the temperature, the humidity, etc/etc/etc.

So, I dump everything into the machine and set it for dough. When I hear it knead I check to be sure there's enough liquid. When it becomes a cohesive mass I can tell whther it needs more flour or more liquid and adjust from there.

Wherever you're going, have fun. Good luck baking when you get back, I see some delicious experiments in your future.

Annie

o

DH asked for some bread today and since I was going to be out all afternoon I just made it in the Zo, baking and all. Here is how it turned out. It's a buttermilk 1 1/2 lb. loaf.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

OH YUMMY! I wish mine would bake and all but it just won't bake right. Mine is not a Zo though, it's an Oster. I baked bread just yesterday using the bread machine for the dough and it was wonderful! I used Annie's recipe, the honey whole wheat! It was soft enough to be used for a sandwich. I ate with honey for my breakfast this morning!

o

I have a model BBCC-S15 that works well, but the bearing finally seized in the pan. Anybody know where I can find another pan?? Thanks, al.

o

"--I have a model BBCC-S15 that works well, but the bearing finally seized in the pan.--"

Are you talking about the paddle would not move?

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here