Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smaller Pan Baking Times...bread, rolls & muffins

Posted by rachelellen (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 15:00

I recently acquired some mini-muffin tins and mini loaf pans. I'm dying to make some of my favorite muffin, corn bread & yeast breads in them. Does anyone have a method for determining baking time & temperatures for smaller pans? It would save me a lot of trial & error! :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smaller Pan Baking Times...bread, rolls & muffins

My method is fool proof....bake until they are done!! LOL!
Muffins I have baked take about 10 to 12 minutes at 350.
I cant' imagine what sort of yeast bread you would bake in a muffin tin....so I can't give you any suggestions on that.
Linda c

o

Not in the mini muffin tins, in the mini loaf pans on the yeast breads.

I want to be able to take soup/stews with a side of bread or muffins for just 1 or two people for friends. It seems to me that mini loaves of bread would be perfect, and probably keep fresher than slices from large loaves.

o

A standard recipe for one dozen muffins makes about three dozen mini-muffins and requires approximately 10-15 minutes baking time (use the same temperature called for in the recipe). As with all muffins, fill the cups 2/3-3/4 full.

Although you didn't ask (I'll add this for free should you get jumbo muffin tins), the same recipe for a dozen standard-size muffins can be baked in a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan and requires about 20-25 minutes baking time.

What size are your small loaf pans?

For yeast breads, weigh your dough:

7-1/2x3-1/2" - 2-1/2 c. flour or up to 1-pound of dough

5-3/4x3-3/4" - 1-1/2 c. flour or up to 8-ounces of dough

4-1/2x2-1/2 - 3/4 c. flour or up to 6-ounces of dough

Yeast bread is baked to an internal temperature of 195-210 degrees F. Take the temperature with an instant read thermometer. The small 4-1/2x2-1/2" are probably done when they are between 190-195 degrees F., which is the same temperature for yeast rolls (dinner rolls, burger/sandwich buns, etc.).

If you use your mini-loaf pans for quick breads, fill them 2/3 to 3/4 full.

You can also use your mini-muffin tins for making small cinnamon rolls, sticky pecan rolls and dinner rolls. Just keep in mind the amount of dough you place in each mini-muffin cup should be approximately 1/3 of the size of the baked roll. A dough log for cinnamon rolls will be about the diameter of a quarter, or about as large as the circle formed when you press your index finger to your thumb. Cut each roll about 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick. The dough ball for dinner rolls will also be about that same size, or about 1/2-ounce of dough.

-Grainlady

o

Thank you Grainlady, that's exactly the info I needed. It never occurred to me to use a thermometer with bread but it appeals, particularly when trying a new recipe or making changes.

My mini loaf pans are 5 5/8x3, which is close enough to 5 3/4x3 I guess.

I also got a pan I thought was meant to make 4 loaves of faux braided bread. The bottom of the pans are shaped to look like a braid. I thought, 'what a great idea!' Then I realized that the "braid" would be on the bottom crust DOH!, so I'm thinking it's really meant for a cake of some kind, that would be glazed.

o

Thank you!
Can you freeze the yeast loaf breads?

o

Of course....wrap well....I use foil, just tossing them into a plastic bag will result in some drying unless they will be frozen only for a few days.
Linda C

o

I find when baking yeast loaves in the mini pans that the time is usually not that much shorter as you would think. For instance, if a regular 8.5" x 4" loaf bakes for 35-45 minutes (per the recipe), the mini loaf is not going to be done in 15-18 minutes but will probably take 20-30 minutes. Just to be sure, always use an instant read thermometer and get a reading of 190 degrees F for the yeast loaf to be completely done in the center. I have long since gotten away from using the "thump" method and now I always turn out the loaf on a clean cloth and insert the instant read thermometer from the bottom of the loaf to the center and watch the temp increase on the digital screen. If one loaf of the same size and recipe is done, then the other mini loaves are done also.

o

Teresa, I agree. I have one of those pans that bake 4 mini loaves and when my regular loaf pans take 30 minutes, the minis still take 20, sometimes more.

Even I have done to using a thermometer for new recipes. Old recipes like Grandma's bread, I know well. New loaves get the thermometer the first few times, as some of my additions make the crust brown more quickly than others.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here