Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dinner ideas using plain yogurt?

Posted by northcarolina (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:57

Hi all -- last night I discovered an unopened and few-days expired 16 oz container of plain yogurt hiding behind the vanilla one. It's fine, we've already started on it, but in the interest of using it pretty fast, does anyone have any good recipes calling for plain yogurt? ...or sour cream, of course, and I'll substitute. The kids have cooled off a bit on smoothies (ha). I am especially interested in something I can make for supper tonight without going to the store. We are out of meat but have a pretty good variety of other things on hand. My kids like yogurt, so the flavor is not a problem.

p.s. Looking through the fridge I see a bag of spinach that needs using up too, though whether the kids will eat a dish with spinach is always questionable. Sometimes they will, more often they won't -- which won't stop me from serving it if it fits.

p.p.s. I wonder if you can use yogurt in pizza dough? Mine always tastes like just bread, OK but boring.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dinner ideas using plain yogurt?

Here's a video and recipe for "10-Minute Pizza Dough" using self-rising flour and yogurt. If you don't have self-rising flour you can make it yourself.

1 c. flour MINUS 2 t.
add: 1-1/2 t. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: 10-Minute Pizza Dough

o

You can also make yogurt marinated chicken, or use the yogurt in lieu of sour cream to top enchiladas or a 7 layer Mexican type dip.

I use yogurt in pancakes and waffles as well as muffins, since I make my own and always have a few quarts in the fridge. I also mix it with a bit of mustard and honey to taste and use the "honey mustard dressing" that results as salad dressing or dip for chicken or fish.

Annie

o

Make a sauce for grilled meat or sausages. Add to taste, garlic, chilli powder, seasoning, herbs.....

o

A recent thread talked about yogurt cucumber soup.

Jim

o

Falafel with yogurt/cucumber sauce is good too.

o

I had a situation once where I had an abundance of both yogurt and frozen overripe bananas. I made many loaves of banana bread. Some were eaten, some were frozen. I used a sour cream banana bread recipe and subbed the yogurt for the sour cream.

Eileen

o

These are all great ideas, thanks very much!

o

I've also made chicken paprika with yogurt and also beef stroganoff.

E

o

I use it in bread. It gives the sourdough taste without the time and fussing to maintain a starter. I have a fave. recipe if you would like.

o

Yes, please share the bread recipe!

o

Grate zucchini coarsely. Lightly saute garlic, add a little crushed red pepper and zucchini. Saute zucchini very lightly. Add yogurt and parmesan cheese. Serve over pasta (in this dish, not too much pasta and a lot of the zuchini sauce.)

It's delicious, though zucchini season is over until next year for me.

o

Sorry it took so long on the bread recipe. Here it is, from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger

Yogurt bread recipe. Makes 1 1/2 lb. loaf
3/4 cup water
1 cup plain yogurt
3 1/2 cups bread flour (I use half whole wheat bread flour. You may start with less, 3 1/4 cup flour and add more if the bread seems too sticky. The difference in quantity is due to the difference in thicknesses of various brands of yogurt.)
1 TBLSP gluten (I think this recipe will work without the gluten if you can't find it)
2 tsp. salt (I use 1.5 tsp. or maybe less, but I am on a low salt diet)
2 tsp. standard yeast or 2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Put ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. I use the dough cylce and do the last rise in a bread pan and bake it in the oven. I use a 400 degree oven and the bread is done in 35-45 min. usually. I use a bread thermometer and take it out when the internal bread temp. is 180 degrees F or above. Some folks use 190 or 200 but I seem to get burned bread when I go higher than 190. Or use the "sounds hollow" when tapped on the bottom method. A lot depends on what type of bread pan you use, I just have the run of the mill coated steel ones you get in the grocery store.

I like this bread but I love it even more with raisins in it, so I add a half a cup or more of moist raisins to the bread when the machine beeps and tells me it's OK to add them. This makes great toast then, with cinnamon sugar on top.

o

Thanks so much, it sounds great! I'll try it out when I get the chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here