Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unique veggie tray plating

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 14:55

Does anyone have any unique veggie tray plating ideas? Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unique veggie tray plating

A google image search of "unique veggie trays" brought up this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: veggie skeleton tray

o

Cute, but this is for a baby shower, not Halloween. It doesn't have to be a themed plating, just pretty.

o

I am not sure I can think of many ways to plate a veggie tray that are unique. I typically try to choose an assortment of colors as well as cut them in different ways to make them appealing,

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Linda

o

I like this one at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: veggie platter image

o

Well here's a picture of an Eggplant hedgehog. It is not just veggies though but little meat and cheese cubes besides tomatoes and grapes and things. It might be an inspiration though!
From Garnishes

o

Is this for Halloween? I don't think you could get anymore unique than a butternut squash skull as the center of your veggie tray.

I have attached a link to dcarch's skull and wild rice display.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butternut Squash Skull

o

I googled images for vegetable flower garnishes. Some are complicated but some look easier, very pretty addition to a platter.

o
RE:More Unique veggie tray plating

here's another pretty one with a hollowed out cabbage for the dressing
From Garnishes

And one with the veggies in a watering can

From Garnishes

I'm trying to think of what kind of cute baby type container you could put the veggies in instead of a watering can...a baby bottle wouldn't be big enough. There must be something though!

o

I must admit to being totally non creative when it comes to plating food but I did find these pics in hopes they may inspire.

You mention that this is for a baby shower. I do recall one shower I was at where the hostess used cauliflower florets to form little lambs, think she used green olives for eyes and black olives for hooves.....way too much work for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie plates

o

Different levels can help in display and presentation.

Instead of everything placed on a level tray, try inverting bowls or placing blocks on the tray, covering with a linen napkin and going from there. A little judicious glue gun action helps.

Also, with all the stone countertops going on the fabricators have lots of chunks, cut offs and small pieces available for pretty cheap. A big (for veggie platter) slab of honed granite makes a pretty impressive display and you can still do multi levels on that.

I'm not talking a tower, just give it some 3D action.

And put some darn radishes on it!!!
No one seems to ever put radishes on a veggie tray and I'm so happy when they do. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

o

I have 5 or 6 footed cake plates, I have put them together....stacked a couple and put the others near and made a nice array...
Wasn't all veggies, some was things like cheese puffs and breads spread with "spreads".
There was also a popular thing about 20 years ago where things were "spilled' out of containers on a table. The container was tipped and the veggies spilling out. Haven't seen that done since I went on a cruise! LOL!

o

metaxa, "------------And put some darn radishes on it!!!
No one seems to ever put radishes on a veggie tray and I'm so happy when they do. I'm sure I'm not the only one. "

No. You are not the only one.

It can also be very exciting to have a competition amongst the kids. Let each one do a plate. Make sure everyone is a winner.

You will be amazed how creative kids can be.

dcarch

Photobucket

o

I can't find a pic of it, but I saw Martha Stewart line the outer edges of a relish tray with beautiful red radicchio leaves, then spiral in the other cut veggies - it was gorgeous!

(speaking of gorgeous, dcarch, those radishes are stunning!)

o

Lots of beautiful options here! You might also try googling "crudite platter" (pinkies up, please!) for even more ideas.

Lori :D

o

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I will have to think about this and see which to try--maybe combine them.

o

This was the table at DD's baby shower last year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Di

o

dcarch - I grew those watermelon radishes last year. There are several varieties available. The one I grew was brig!ht white on the outside and magenta on the inside. They were perfectly round - about the size of a tennis ball. There is another variety called Pink Heart that I purchased at the coop. Holy cow was it ever hot!

Love your picture! What's the sauce drizzled on them?

o

FOr a baby shower, I would probably do a regular arrangement, put the dip in a pastel bowl, and tuck some daisies or other flower here and there on the tray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here