SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

More meatballs.....

lindac
14 years ago

My husband's grand parents came from Sweden and there was a lot of Swedish pride in the cooking at my MIL's house. Because she was orphaned at 14, she never learned to cook many things from her mother, but the aunt who ultimately raised her taught her many of the traditional dishes. many things used no recipe and had to be interpreted by someone with measuring cup in hand...but here's my best version of her Swedish meatballs:

1 1/2 pounds of very finely ground meat, Ideally it should be double ground and 1/2 pound pork, one half pound beef and 1/2 pound veal, but in the midwest at that time veal was hard to find so she used 3/4 pound pork and 3/4 pounds beef and put them through the grinder again at home, the meat should be very lean and she followed up the meat in the grinder with a big slice of onion and a slice of white bread. She said it cleaned out the grinder.

She mixed that very well by hand and added:

One egg

1/2 cup cream

A potato, baked and the inside mashed up and added

1/2 tsp nutmeg

pinch of allspice

Salt and pepper to taste

She always said she didn't like them too spicy so she didn't add much pepper...I add more than she did.

Mix them well adding a little more cream or possibly a little flour ti make the consistency right.

Chill the mixture for at least an hour, longer is better..

Form into meatballs about an inch in diameter and fry in hot Crisco ( I use oil).

When all the meatballs are fried, pour out all but a little of the grease in the pan, add a little milk and scrape up the browned bits in the pan, and add a carton of sour cream and cook until thick, add 1/2 tsp dill seed and serve over the meatballs. Dill sounds odd....but it works.

I haven't done that in aged....they are delicious!

What other kinds of meatballs do you make?

Linda C

Comments (12)