SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Jessy was right, 6 in 1 tomatoes are ...

Lars
15 years ago

The best ever!!

I tried to find the thread where she recommended them, but there are 450 threads with "tomatoes" in them. Anyway, I had bought several cans of the tomatoes a month or so ago and had left them in the box from the deli and couldn't find them. The good thing is that I used up all the other cans of tomatoes I had, mostly from Bay Cities Deli in Santa Monica (which does NOT have 6 in 1), and one of the brands I tried recently was absolutely terrible: La Bella San Marzano, imported from Italy. The expiration date on that can was Dec 31, 2010, and so it wasn't an old can. I still like Cento and Muir Glenn, but I won't be buying them again, as long as I can find 6 in 1. Yesterday I wanted to make lasagne, and so I had to find the 6 in 1 tomatoes!!

Six in 1 has the absolutely best flavor and texture. The tomatoes are already finely chopped and are packed in heavy purée. The flavor is sweet and intensely tomato - so much so that it doesn't need any sugar or tomato paste, which in the past I have added to other brands of tomatoes. Six in 1 has such a great taste that you practically do not need to add anything at all to it, although I had already sautéed some garlic and finely minced onion, which of course doesn't hurt. It doesn't even really need herbs, although I did add some fresh basil at the end of cooking, since I have that in my garden. It doesn't need salt or pepper either, but olive oil seems to help. I used whole wheat lasagne noodles and put spinach in the filling, along with tofu, since I didn't have any ricotta.

I just checked the can, and salt is one of the ingredient, which is perhaps why none is needed. The two main ingredients are ground tomatoes and heavy tomato purée. There is no citric acid added, which is probably why it tastes so sweet.

Thanks, Jessy, for this recommendation! I thought it was worth a new thread. Who else has tried this brand?

Lars

Comments (110)