SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Knife for a kid...?

foodonastump
11 years ago

As I've mentioned on several occassions, my 8 year old son is a very picky eater and it's darn near impossible to get him to try even a bite of anything new. But for some reason, he has taken on a fascination with cooking competition shows.

The other day while I was in the kitchen he turned on the TV and tuned into the Food Network, where Chopped was on. A few minutes later he came to the kitchen and asked to help prepare dinner. The only thing I had left to do was slice mushrooms for my chicken marsala, so I handed him my longer paring knife and taught him the principals of drag rather than push down, etc. I was mentally prepared for blood to be shed, but there wasn't. He was very proud, as was I.

Point of this post: Cooking is near and dear to my heart, so I'd like to encourage him buy buying him his own knife. I'm thinking it's easier to control a taller blade, so my thought is a smaller - say four or five inch - santoku. Of course it would always be used under close supervision.

Does anyone who has little helpers have different recommendation for an appropriate knife? I know most kids start by helping with baking, but that's simply not done in my house. The choice is prep or hot pans.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH