SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Baking WITH the elderly

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

I've been asked to teach a baking class at the local assisted living facility.

To be honest, I don't think ANYONE is ever going to make anything they learn again, as other than in class I don't think they have access to a kitchen let alone an oven.

I'm looking for ideas that would be relatively easy to prepare, tasty as all possible and easy to eat.

I also think that for the most part elderly people eat much smaller portions so it should keep well for a day or two without refrigeration.

I will get more details tomorrow but in the meantime if you have ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Comments (44)

• jojoco
    13 years ago

No suggestions yet other to say that they may prefer dishes from their era than more recent. For example, while my dad loves my baking, he really loves dishes like brown Betty and other old fashioned baked favorites. Maybe you can take a classic and find a way to make it into individual servings.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

It might be worth taking a tour of one of the apartments and basing a recipe or two on what you see.

For example, in my father's assisted living facility, each studio had a small kitchen with a fridge and a two-burner stovetop.

He didn't choose to cook, but some others did. So perhaps a simple cake or blueberry grunt, etc. which can be "baked" on a stovetop. Something nostalgic and simple which can be made without using an oven and with minimal skills, preparation space or baking equipment.

Many of the residents crave the flavor of homemade and enjoy it all too seldom.

Carol

• Related Discussions

Sweet Elderly Neighbor Not So Sweet

Q

Comments (54)
    Gardenweb.com was excellent. Houzz bought it and changed it to this Post+Comment sillyness, buried it in their marketing site, and made it easier for people to accidentally resurrect dead posts. I'm not suggesting people didn't manage to resurrect dead posts in the old site. It was just much rarer and usually done by a bot that generally got fixed. It sometimes seems that anything that works well just must get damaged by some change. It seems any change to just about anything is almost always a change for the worse.
    ...See More

Ideas for Pre-Cooked Frozen Meals for my Elderly One-Armed MIL

Q

Comments (23)
    Thank you so much for the ideas and support! It turns out she has two dorm-sized fridge/freezers (one has her TV on top and I didn't notice it, lol) so she has more storage space than I'd thought. She lives nearby so DH sees her often (stops on his way home from work) but is more than willing to stop by on his way to work with food at least once a week. So far I'm using Rubbermaid-type freezer containers, the same I've always sent home leftovers in, as she has her own dishes. DH's car just had some $$$ repairs so there's no money for buying separate dishes right now - DH says the food's more important than the presentation, and his mom is very practical. So far I've got 2 containers of pasta with beefed-up marinara, 2 meals of brisket with homemade baked beans and new potatoes and 2 bowls of from-scratch, from-fresh chicken soup. It's a start. I don't think the budget would allow it (gonna be a tight holiday season) but do you think she could possibly work a bread machine? I've never used one so have no idea how difficult they are to use. If she could operate it, I may suggest it to my SIL. I'm thinking a small electric skillet and/or a small toaster/convection oven might be useful, if she has the space (and if they would be permitted).
    ...See More

Ready to eat foods suitable for an elderly diabetic?

Q

Comments (10)
    Lydia, have you checked with your local meals on wheels program? That service in my mothers county has frozen meals that are made up to be reheated at home, and anyone can buy them whether they are participating in the delivered program or not. All are healthy, most deemed low fat by their dietician, and about 75% marked low salt and diabetic appropriate. I'm sure areas are different, her particular area suggests a '$3 donation per meal'. OT, she hasn't signed up, she doesn't think she needs it and her nutrition is beginning to worry me - I get the Kirkland/Costco generic brand Ensure and make certain she always has a supply in the house. She likes the nutritional drinks, Costco price is about $22 for a box of 32 servings. Last time I checked into it, the Meals on Wheels service in her area had a waiting list of about 75 names, but that had nothing to do with picking up the frozen prepared foods.
    ...See More

Insect bites: baking soda or vinegar?

Q

Comments (35)
    Iris, I asked about your general location for a reason, wondering if you live in fire ant territory. Your reaction and the pimple-like pustule are symptoms of fire ant stings. Fire ant stings are painful, from the initial stabbing for several hours after. The itching can be awful. I don't react like that anymore, but vividly recall my first experiences, when my leg swelled up like crazy, the sting site became red and hot. I developed a slight fever for a day, as I recall. Shortly after that first encounter, I was told about the meat tenderizer treatment and have never been troubled since. I use it for mosquito bites, too.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

They will mostly show up for something to do and entertainment so I would do something fun to watch and eat.
    Maybe cupcakes with a cute topping, soda crackers with a caramel topping ( Paula Deen recipe), apple muffins with icing, apple pastry twists with icing, yeast rolls.
    All the old people I know love sweet things.

Don't do anything with nuts or is chewy.

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

Hi there. I run a lot of community nutrition/cooking classes, and while most of them are for kids with special needs, preschoolers or food pantry visitors, I've done a few for seniors of varying abilities.

Smoothies and soups were the biggest hits by far, but a few really liked fruit and yogurt parfaits as well. I'm heading to a youth hockey game right now, but I'll find some of the materials I used and email them to you.

AM

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jococo, what a GREAT idea - nostalgic foods

Carol, I already have a list of questions of the co-ordinator, I will add yours about the stovetop.

Bumblebeez, great ideas, thanks. That Soda cracker recipe, when made with Matzo, is called Jewish Crack because we can't get enough of it over passover and it's certainly easy enough to make

AM, thanks for the great suggestions. I'm assuming a blender is a given for smoothies and soups but not sure I will have access to one. I look forward to seeing any materials you can share. Thank you so much :)

I really need to go in as Carol says and take a tour.

Keep up the suggestions

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

Well keeping with a Holiday theme how about gingerbread men cookies? Then you could have fun with decorating them too unless you think that is too much trouble but cookies are easy to make and pretty forgiving. Otherwise just make a nice easy gingerbread in an 8 inch square pan and I sometimes cook up a lemon pudding mix for a topping. You could also just top it with powdered sugar. Is that the kind of item you were thinking of..when I hear baking I think sweet although it could be savory too.
    Joann

• jojoco
    13 years ago

I love the idea of things they can decorate!

• jimster
    13 years ago

This is timely! Just this week I've become very aware of the boredom and listlessness which often sets in with aging. I've seen it at the local senior center and I've seen it in some of my friends. I have a touch of it myself.

I was thinking of what I might do to bring some happy hours into the lives of these folks, giving me the satisfaction of benefiting them while giving me a scheduled activity to get me out of my recliner from time to time. I went on a mission trip to Nicaragua last year and was glad I did. Now I realize I can do some good right here in my own town.

Offering a cooking activity at the senior center or the nursing home was one idea I had. Like a class perhaps, but not for the main purpose of teaching. It would be more designed as an interactive entertainment, with emphasis on socializing and having fun. Senior centers have musicians come in to perform. That's good and folks enjoy it, especially if it involves a sing-along, so it isn't so passive. But my aim would be for more hands-on activity.

Maybe the folks you would have at an assisted living facility are more physically and mentally able and would benefit from something more educational than what I have been imagining. Whatever, give serious thought to doing this. I think it will be highly rewarding.

Jim

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

If they have a microwave - "Chocolate Cake in a Mug" might work for you.
    ----------------------------------------------------

This recipe can easily be made in a toaster oven or microwave. It is also appropriate for most people on a on a salt/sodium restricted diet, and probably appropriate for most diabetics - two issues you will probably want to take into consideration.

BREAKFAST APPLES
    (source: Better Homes and Gardens - Cooking for Two)

yield: 2 servings

2 medium apples, cut into bite-size pieces
    2 T. snipped pitted whole dates (raisins can also be used)
    1/4 t. ground cinnamon
    1/2 c. apple juice or apple cider
    1 T. raspberry spreadable fruit
    1/4 c. low-fat granola

1. In two 10- or 12-ounce casseroles combine the apples and dates. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour the apple juice over the apple mixture.

2. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 20-25 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender. Stir the spreadable fruit; spoon on top of apple mixture. Sprinkle with granola. Serve warm.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 188 cal., 1 g. total fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 15 mg. sodium, 47 g. carb., 4 g. fiber, 1 g. protein.

Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1/2 starch.

Microwave directions: In two 10- or 12-ounce microwave-safe casseroles combine the apples and dates. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Reduce the apple juice to 1/4 c.; pour over the apple mixture. Microwave, covered, on 100% power (high) for 3-4 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender. Continue as above.

(Grainlady note: You could easily make it a recipe for one using one apple. I'd use raisins from a snack-size box of raisins instead of dates, apple juice from a juice box or an individual container of apple juice (orange juice would also work in the recipe). A crunchy granola bar could be broken up and used instead of granola. These might be things they could easily use as individual snack items rather than larger packages of the ingredients.)

-Grainlady

• denise8101214
    13 years ago

I would ask the seniors ahead of time for what they want to make. Solicit their recipes and choose something from that or similar that they can enjoy making and eating.

I agree with the others that it will be the enjoyment of the experience that will be the best outcome, not the teaching of a new recipe or skill.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

is this a one-shot deal. If so, send out a note in advance asking for THEIR favorite recipes ...
    If you're planning on more than one class, you could copy any recipes you recieve and let the class select what you'll do next.
    kay

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I know this is tricky, but I hope the presentation will allow a way for attendees to be active or passive, depending upon preference and capability.

Those who are impaired by strokes, tremors, etc. may not be actively involved but can still enjoy the stimulation and social interaction.

This might be a fun one: Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies baked in a waffle iron. You could only do a few at a time but consider the fragrance. Instant gratification for the lucky participants. (Actually, I'm thinking this would be great for cub scouts, brownies or 4-H.)

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Waffle Iron Cookies

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

L2C46, No suggestions but I have to say--I knew that you were terrific after meeting you, then assisting your sister with her flood situation, now reaching out to the seniors. You are very special!!

Cathy

• jimster
    13 years ago

Carol,

You raised some of the right issues. IMO. I think they would not be difficult issues to deal with. There should be plenty of flexibility in this setting. No necessity for everyone to perform all tasks equally well. No stringent time constraints. And so on. Just focus on having fun for a couple of hours, culminating in a treat at the end. Maybe a treat to take away and enjoy the next day too.

Jim

• dedtired
    13 years ago

How about the Wacky/Crazy/Vegan cake? It's simple to make and only makes one layer. Doesn't really need icing. It's something anyone could make without a large well-equipped kitchen.

• amck2
    13 years ago

I think the older folks will appreciate and enjoy this so much! The older members of my family that I cook and bake with/for seem to regain their lost appetites when they get to have some of their homemade favorites.

I'll echo what others have said about keeping it simple, in terms of both ingredients and techniques.

My aging family members, neighbors and friends love cookies - oatmeal raisin, snickerdoodles, date and fig bars, blondies, etc.

Resist the urge to add any "exotic" additions or flavorings like espresso powder or crystallized ginger to their old favorites.

I hope you'll report back on your experience.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

LC, I ditto what Cathy wrote! Now what about a rice pudding? It can either be done in the oven or on a stove top.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LC46, that's a very nice thing to do. I second the rice pudding, or bread pudding if you have an oven available. Pumpkin custard, like pie without the crust, would be good too and is easily made with artificial sweetener if that's an issue for anyone. It's relatively healthy, as a treat goes.

When Grandma had a stroke, she still stayed involved in the kitchen, "checking" the texture of the topping for blueberry crisp or the consistency of bread dough. she was not ready to relinquish control of her domain, even to me, her most faithful student. (grin)

I think asking for old favorite recipes is a good idea too, some of your seniors may not have had old favorites for a long time.

Oh, and have fun!

Annie

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Annie, I'm smiling thinking of your Grandma checking the topping of the blueberry crisp. What a sweetie! And I do guess that you were her most faithful student! I'm following at your heels!

• jimster
    13 years ago

I forbid my mom to enter the kitchen when I'm cooking. But she is a disobedient mom and incorrigible. She's always in there poking at this and that and changing the heat settings on the stove. I see some others have this problem. What can I do?

Jim

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I don't know if they have stoves. My Dad loved Tomato Basil soup when he was in the nursing home. He also loved rice pudding, sans the raisins. Most people also love bread pudding because they remember it from days gone by.

I agree, cookies are great because it is something they can hold in their hands.

As someone else said, they will like their old favorites the best. If they can't fry their chicken, how about oven baked fried chicken.

I admire you for what you are doing. Good luck!

Beverly

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jim:
    When reading your first thread ,
    I could picture you, with a chefs hat and black moustache,
    singing and tossing Pizza dough in the air.
    Do you know any Italian songs, LOL !!!

Loves 2:
    Soup sounds good. Let everyone take part in the prep. and testing the finished product.
    Chicken soup is easy. It would take an hour.

You didn't mention a time frame.?

Biscotti is easy. Only takes about 40 minutes but you have to wait till they cool a little,
    before you test them.

Ask me about seniors. I know a little , first hand.
    Lou

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Here's my advice. If this is an assisted living home, most/all will have absolutely zero interest in actually taking a recipe back to their rooms/apartments to make later. They may not have ovens, probably have given away all their pots and pans and even mixing bowls.

Clear all this with the staff, of course, your situation might be different. But that's been my experience working with the aged. What about asking for a tour of the place before you actually do the lesson?

If you want something hands-on, go for cookies to decorate. Try something like the caramel crackers. Or some other mixed up sweet conglomeration. Something unexpectedly funny.

Make a dish or two that you can pass around the finished product and share at the end of the session. It's entertainment, really, and you are the show. Have fun, have something to pass around. Try to come up with something that's hands-on. The gingerbread men are a great idea. You might even make them ahead of time and just focus on the decorating.

But don't worry about them trying to make whatever you make in their own homes. Just have fun, and your audience will too.

• shambo
    13 years ago

My mom lived in two different assisted living facilities. Although they both provided residents with small kitchenettes, no one really cooked. The most they would do is heat up snacks or frozen dinners in the microwave. But my mom enjoyed the cooking activites. The fellowship & fun and then eating the treats made those activites highlights.

Some residents had trouble with tremors, failing eyesight, etc., so the cooking projects were very simple. And some residetns had hygiene issues, so each person made their own treat.

Examples were decorated cupcakes, muffins, mini pies, cookies, etc. Yes, the emphasis was on sweets. My mom was never one to eat desserts but as she aged, she seemed to lose her palate and most food tasted rather balnd to her. But she could still taste sweets, so she enjoyed them.

I would suggest checking out some children's cooking activity books from the library. They're a great source of easy, healthful, & creative ideas. Many of the children's recipes don't require using the stove top or oven. Much safer when dealing with a group that may have mobiity & dexterity issues. I've used children's cooking recipes with adults successfully. Even 40 - 50 year olds enjoy decorating graham cracker "gingerbread" houses or turkeys out of cookies!

And you always have to consider the time element. You wouldn't want the activity to go longer than 45 minutes to an hour total: preparing, cooking, & enjoying.

I agree with sushipup. Focus on making the cooking class a fun experience, a special part of the day.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

That's interesting about how they loose their palates but can still taste sweets. I have a lot of elderly people in my family and that is one thing they all like, sweets. I have noticed that with my Dad too, as food has become lack luster, sweets do not.

• jimster
    13 years ago

You might want to pair them up. Partner a more able-bodied one with someone who needs more help. It will promote socializing and the ones who serve as helpers will benefit doubly from the activity.

Jim

• jimster
    13 years ago

"Most people also love bread pudding because they remember it from days gone by."

I would LOVE bread pudding if I were in the class. I would be more interested in cooking something rather than decorating it. But I would probably have fun with either.

"Do you know any Italian songs, LOL !!!"

Does 'That's Amore' count?

"Ask me about seniors. I know a little , first hand."

If I'm going to lead a class, I have to do it soon before I'm in the class. I think you could lead a class, Lou. You could have them make your fish puffs.

"I agree with sushipup. Focus on making the cooking class a fun experience, a special part of the day."

Exactly! Something they can look forward to from one week to the next.

Jim

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Here's another thought. A good cooking demonstration (I will not call this a 'class' because of your audience) might be a show of things they may recall from old days. Like kneading dough, even if your timing probably would not allow mixing plus baking, etc. You could bring dough ready for the oven and pop it in first thing, and then it'll be ready when your class is coming to an end, so the aroma will be wonderful.

A hint, get there a long time ahead and get your oven started to pre-heat properly.

Again, I can't stress enough getting a tour ahead of time, so you can plan according to your audience and the facilities. Suppose you get there, and they say, oh, we had to move you out of the meeting room with the kitchen and into the library. Or finding out that there isn't even an OVEN in the planned venue. I've been in many many AL homes, and I know. Be prepared!

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Loves 2:
    Don't let the old ones fool you. They can get quite active.

I went to one home at Christmas time, with my wifes prayer group.
    There was an older couple with the group also, who played the Guitar and sang.

While they were wheeling all the Old Folks into the Auditorium, I said to myself,
    " Some of these people are really in bad shape "
    They just about moved and were all stooped over.
    A lot of them wore Oxygen Masks.

By the time we put on a little Christmas Skit and started the Singing,
    I thought some of them were going to get up and dance.

When we were leaving, they were all talking to each other.
    The nurses said " they never did that "

They hated for us to leave, knowing they would have to go back to their routine.

We got a great round of applause.
    I can still see that picture.

Lou

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

What an AWESOME opportunity! If I lived closer to my in-laws, I think I'd offer such a class at their Assisted Living Facility.

So, to echo most, really leverage the staff at the facility - they know what the residents interests and abilities are. Throw some ideas out to them, and see what they think. Also, I love the suggestions to do something they will find "homey" or "nostalgic." Bread pudding is an awesome idea!!

It's a baking class? or a cooking class? or a kitchen activity? Three different things. If it's a class, then you'll want to go through techniques some may have no experience with, or not remember. I love the bread baking suggestion! If it's an activity, then it will be more participation-based less learning / info sharing. Again the facility staff can direct you.

But the other thing I was thinking was Lakemayor's Seasonal Cookie Thread may provde some inspiration especially recipes you could teach.

You could teach baking finger snacks- cookies, bars and cupcakes... what's the difference, etc. How much info you throw in will really depend on the residence - again, Check with the staff!!

And take pictures :-)

• woodie
    13 years ago

What Sushi said! My parents are now living in an AL residence and they'd both enjoy your presentation. Nobody is really going to take your recipe and make it again in their own little apartment. They just want to smile and have something to do for an hour or two and be happy - and a bonus will be smelling and eating something great and homemade!

Thank you for doing this - you're doing a really nice thing.

• jimster
    13 years ago

"Thank you for doing this - you're doing a really nice thing."

Absolutely! And that's an understatement. This could affect lives in a very good way.

"Don't let the old ones fool you. They can get quite active."

Or, in the cases of Lou and me:

Don't let US old ones fool you. WE can get quite active.

But seriously Lou, that was a touching story. It paints a vivid picture of what this could mean to people.

Jim

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you EVERY ONE OF YOU for all the great thoughts and suggestions.

I am definitely planning a pre-class visit. I am meeting with the activities director to get a better idea of what she wants me to do.

And it all started out because I called them up to ask if I could bring my therapy dog over. (No, they have an in-house dog but would I like to volunteer doing a cooking class LOL - she got me)

• jimster
    13 years ago

Bread pudding.
    Bread pudding.
    Bread pudding.
    Bread pudding.
    Bread pudding.
    Bread pudding.

Jim

• woodie
    13 years ago

Is it a "Sunrise" community? I ask because they have in-house dog and cat :)

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, it is a Sunrise community.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LC46, every time I read this thread I think about the old "how many girl scouts does it take to make a box of girl scout cookies", LOL.

Sorry, I'm warped but I just keep thinking that maybe the elderly don't want to be cooked....(grin)

Annie

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I get it Annie. HAHAHAHA.

Feel free to change the title - I don't know how LOL

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jim:
    Yes it does mean a lot; to them, especially if they participate.

If only to stir the pot.

Like the kids helping Gram to make Ravioli's.

If they only pinched the edges with a fork, they helped to make them.
    LOU

• jimster
    13 years ago

L2C46,

i'm pleased you decided to start with bread pudding for several reasons:

a) I think it will be well suited to the activity. Measure, stir, pour, bake, eat. Plenty to do, yet nothing difficult.

b) I LIKE bread pudding.

c) The thread you started for recipes may turn up the ideal recipe I have been seeking for my own use.

Will you be making individual puddings or one big one? If it's individual ones, would foil baking pans work?

Jim

• jojoco
    13 years ago

One of my new(er) cookbook has a recipe for "Milkless-Eggless-Butterless-Cake" which is different from the vegan/wacky one. The notes say: "Do you remember the Spanish bar from the A&P? Well this cake tastes very much like it. My mother made this cake when were were children, and we loved it."
    The author, btw, is an older woman, easily in her 70's.
    If you want it for your seniors, just let me know. (Btw, the cookbook is called "Beverly's Best", after the Saratoga bakery.
    Jo

• jothrive
    13 years ago

I'm one of the "elderly" since I am 84 years old. I am not as yet in an assisted living facility but if I were I would certainly enjoy such a program.

I think the suggestions given are just great. Some residents may be able to physically participate by stirring the mix or decorating the cookies. Others may prefer to just watch the action. They will all enjoy the program, and I think it is a wonderful thing that you are doing.

Blessings, and have fun.

• KathyS321
    10 years ago

I'm hoping to start a cooking class for about 15 seniors at a non-profit independent living site. I'm the fundraiser and am putting together a budget - for those who said they have offered classes, I'm wondering, how much would I pay someone to run a class? And then about how much for the cost of food? We won't charge the seniors - they are all very low-income - I'll raise funds to cover the costs. Thanks so much for your help!

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

If you have 4-H Clubs or a County Extension Office who has a Master Food Volunteer Class, you may be able to get your teachers for free.

I'm a 10-year Master Food Volunteer and I am able to take advantage of the Extension Office resources. They have many classes already planned and prepared for all ages. All you need to do is pick up the plastic tub/s and handouts, and they may be good partners for you. No sense reinventing the wheel, especially if you can borrow one for free..... ;-)

I especially enjoy my time at the Senior Center, and a good time was had by all teaching food classes for elderly men who were now on their own, or were primary care givers, and needed some tips for shopping and cooking.

One really fun class at the Senior Center, close to Christmas, I printed and handed out decorative recipe cards and full-page recipe sheets (found the templates on-line). We talked about their favorite recipes and I encouraged the class to take the cards/sheets home and write down their favorite recipes, as well as their parents or grandparents recipes. I gave them all the sheets they wanted so they could make them for their family and share with friends, and encouraged them to use them as Christmas gifts for their families.

Another resource for you - the manager/director of the Senior Center, if you have one where you live. They will give you all kinds of ideas since they are in the "senior" business. They also get free "stuff" from the government and don't always have time or personnel to use it, and it may be something you can use for classes.

If your seniors are also low-income who participate in commodity food distribution, there is a wealth of information and recipes you can glean from government web sites for using food commodities. I've taught a class in that I don't know HOW many times....

Good luck!

-Grainlady

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida