Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil Mister

Posted by MizAnnThrope (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 13:21

I bought a Misto, but it doesn't work most of the time and, in fact, is quite messy - drippy. Does anyone have a mister they like? Or, is there something I can do to this Misto to make it work better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil Mister

You could send it to me and I will add it to my collection of non working oil misters.
I have always been going to try mixing the oil with vodka to see if that would keep it misting better....but never have.

o

Oil viscosity changes to thinner at higher temperatures. You can try heating the oil first to make it flow better, but that's a lot of trouble.

I use a brush to brush on oil, quicker, simpler and no mess.

Possible also to mix oil with water based liquid, you can do that with an ultrasonic device, that is call emulsification, to make the oil flow easier.

dcarch

o

An emulsion is thicker than either of the 2 liquids that comprise it.

o

Not necessarily. Depends on the proportion of the mix.

Milk is an emulsion of butter and liquid. Milk flows much better than butter.

dcarch

o

Not at 110 degrees.....
And we are talking about oil, fats which are not solid at room temperature...
I have never heard of a "butter mister"...nor seen anyone express a need for one...but I guess there's always a first time.

o

Not sure what is your point, especially about “110 degrees”.

My point is:

Even something as solid as butter, when emulsifies with liquid (milk) can flow as easily as water; hence there should be no problem to make oil, which is much softer then butter to have better viscosity for spraying if emulsified with a liquid in proper proportions.

This is to clarify your statement above that emulsions will always be thicker than the components which make up the emulsion.
dcarch

o

Whatever, I've never found a mister that works worth a darn. I bought a Misto, it worked for a while. I bought a Pampered Chef mister, it worked for a couple of days. I returned it, got another one, it worked for a couple of days. I returned it, got another one, it worked for a couple of days. I threw it away.

I thought recently that maybe they had gotten better and bought a Misto. Sure enough, it doesn't work worth a darn.

So if you can figure out how to make it work better, I'm all over that! I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has better ideas.

Annie

o

Use a pastry brush!! LOL! A tried 3 oil misters, as it seems you have.....And I now use a brush....less aggrivation!!!

Butter is not a solid at 110 degrees.

o

Love your username.

o

Same here. Have tried several and none of them work.

o

I must be the lucky one. I have two Mistos, one for EVOO and one for veggie oil and both work fine.

Try filling it only halfway, make sure the sprayer is clean of any gunk, and pump like mad to presurize it.

o

You must be lucky, Peppi, although I will agree that the misto was better than the Pampered Chef one. That was a piece of junk.

I bought one when I got the microwave potato chip maker for Elery that he wanted. That works great, actually, but the Misto, not so much. I pump like crazy, get a stream of oil (never a spray) and it only lasts a couple of seconds, then needs to be pumped up again to get another 2 second stream. I'd think I got a bad one, but it works just like the first one did.

Annie

o

I have the Mistos and the one for veggie oil works fine the one for EVOO doesn't work worth a darn!!!

Linda

o

I sent 2 of the Pampered chef ones back, because they didn't work....so it wasn't getting a bad one....unless I got 3 bad ones in a row.
I suspect it's because I use EVOO which turns solid in the refrigerator....and I suspect the properties are different from more "refined" oils.
Anyhow they don't work for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: properties of an emulsion

o

I got one as a gift. Nice idea but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work or not work. Could barely read the print on the directions, truth be told. I use a set of silicone pastry brushes.

o

Sometimes it pays to procrastinate. I've procrastinated for years on getting one of those gadgets. Now I will save myself the trouble. Thanks, folks!

Jim

o

I have also had a couple of Mistos. They gummed right up for me, too. I use a pastry brush.

Eileen

o

We have a couple of Mistos which work after a fashion. I use them to spray bakeware (cake pans and the like), and they will work. They don't spray as fine and controlled a mist as as aerosol like PAM, and I have to pump a lot to get them to spray a mist and not droplets, but I do use them all the time. DH also uses one for the griddle when he makes pancakes, and he says they're fine for that too.

Cheryl

o

"----So if you can figure out how to make it work better, I'm all over that! I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has better ideas. ---"

The use of pump action to spray oil is inherently problematic mechanically. It is probably better if they use the "Venturi" effect (no moving parts, no piston or one-way check valves.) for atomization of oil, such as in automobile carburetor design.

As I mentioned, you will be better off using a brush. However, if you insist, emulsification is a consideration.
I mentioned milk is an emulsion of liquid and butter fat, also, when you make vinaigrette with oil that too is an emulsion and thin enough to be spray-able. BTW, emulsification is the entire concept of detergents. Detergents use surfactants to emulsify dirt, oil grease muck/grime with water, so they are thin and can be washed away.

dcarch

o

I've had two. I loved them right up until they gummed up and stopped working. It seems to be the nature of the beast: the oil when it contacts oxygen will turn rancid and sticky. And since the mister works by pumping air into the chamber with the oil, it seems destined to turn the oil rancid and sticky, and gum up the works. After the second one stopped working I gave up.

One of the things I uses to use mine for was to spray a thin coating of oil on an omelette pan. Now I have an omelette pan the is non-stick enough on its own (even after two years of use), that I do not need to use any oil or butter to make an omelette.

o

Thanks everyone. Guess it's back to the brush for me. Since I have several of them, I think they are all bad ones. And rancid? Ewwwwww. Don't want that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here