Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you substitute for the bourbon...

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 12:53

..in this delicious sounding recipe. This recipe was in the latest Penzey's catalog. I have no objection to bourbon, but don't drink it and would rather not have to buy a pint for a recipe that I might make once a year.

Chocolate Walnut Pecan Pie

1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. walnuts
4 eggs
1/2 c. corn syrup, light or dark
1 TB honey
1/3 c. white sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
6 TB melted butter
1/4 c. bourbon
1 TB Vanilla extract
1 TB flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg
8 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate broken into 1/2 inch chunks

Preheat oven to 350. Toast the pecan and walnuts for 10 minutes in the oven. While they are toasting, combine the eggs, corn syrup, honey, sugars, butter, bourbon, vannilla, flour cinnamon and nutmet and mix until smooth. Fold in nuts and chocolate. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 for 40-50 mins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you substitute for the bourbon...

You could sub brandy or even perhaps rum...
But you can buy little "Air plane" bottles of most high end liquers...one of them is 2 oz which is 1/4 of a cup.
Linda C

o

Ditto Linda.

o

Yesterday I also copied that recipe from the Penzey's catalog and can't wait to give it a try.

You could use the leftover bourbon for baked beans or sweet potato casserole. I don't drink bourbon either but I sure love to cook with it; it lasts a long time so I always have some on hand.

o

Great marinade is bourbon, sugar, ginger, garlic and soy sauce. We use this with tri-tip.

Bourbon need not go to waste! ;-)

o

I would buy an airplane bottle of one of either bourbon, whiskey, calvados, apple jack or at last resort, brandy.

Alexa

o

For a non alcoholic substitution I would use apple juice!
Joann

o

amazing how much I like bourbon in cakes,particularly when accompanied by pecans, 'cause I simply cannot stand to drink it.

But ... it keeps. If you have to buy a bigger bottle than the airplane ... it'll be there when you get ready do bake that pie again.

o

I would use Irish Whiskey and then use the rest of the whiskey to make Irish Coffee Pies. I don't like Irish Whiskey as a drink (or Irish Coffee), but I do like it in pies. I really don't like Bourbon at all. You might also be able to substitute Cognac and then use the leftover Cognac when making French Onion Soup, using Julia Child's 40 proof recipe.

Lars

o

My neighborhood liquor store has 50 ml "nips" of cheap bourbon for $1.00 each. Two of those would be just slightly less than called for by the recipe. Good luck finding nips at that price though. :-)

Jim

o

I've made a similar pie before. The bourbon will give it a distinctive flavor. My suggestion for a substitute is strong black coffee. :)

o

thanks, folks. I guess I'm going to look for tiny bottles of bourbon.

o

I've made a very similar recipe a couple of times then decided I'm a purist when it comes to pecan pie. Didn't get any rave reviews from my pecan pie lovers, either. That said, IMO, the recipe would probably be better w/o any booze. The coffee mentioned above might be nice.

o

Go ahead and buy the pint if that is (and it should be) more cost effective. The bourbon won't go bad. You can use for your pie next year, etc, until it's gone.

o

and another use for the bourbon..

I love this for basting grilled chicken..

BOURBON BUTTER

6 ounces butter, cut into small pieces

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons bourbon

1/2 lemon, juiced

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

While grill is heating, make bourbon butter glaze by melting butter with the other ingredients in a saucepan and boiling over high heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

o

I vote for the bourbon, if you want THAT recipe. Anything else will produce a very different result. All very tasty but very much another flavor profile. I think a quarter cup of bourbon is a lot. If it were a tablespoon I think it would have much less impact and be easily exchanged for another liquid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here