Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone using a Romertopf for bread baking??

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 12:46

I just gone one and I was putting it away today and read in the directions that you should put the risen dough in the Romertopf into a COLD oven and then heat to 500 for baking the bread. That seems kind of odd to me, what happens to bread when it's baked like that?

Another video I saw online preheats the Romertopf empty, and then put the risen bread dough in it to bake, transferring it from a pan where it was rising. The only reason I am hesitant to try that is I haven't had good luck transferring dough, mine seems to always deflate.

But I guess it would be a total no no to put a room temp. Romertopf into a hot oven? BTW, this gizmo seems rather cheaply made to me. I'm sure older ones weren't this thin. I got it beause of the shape and because it was cheaper than the LaCloche. Get what you pay for I guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone using a Romertopf for bread baking??

I would follow the directions that came with it the first time I used it. Then I would make adjustments, if needed, the next time.

o

Lpink,

If your bread is deflating just before baking, it's over proofed.

I have always soaked the Romertpf before using then added raised dough, & put into a cold oven. It will be fine.

I agree with Ruthanna. Follow the included instructions. Do not punt with the first use.

/tricia

o

I bake in cast iron all the time. I don't have a Romertopf . My cast iron is a Le Creuset and also a very old plain cast iron pot . Both have lids. Both go into the oven at 500 for 30 min. and then I remove them and lower the bread into the preheated pot. I replace the cover, place them back in the oven and lower the oven to 460. Bake 15 min with lid on and 15 min with lid off. I will link pics below.

To get your bread into the pot, either hot or cold , simply place a piece of parchment paper over the basket that the bread is rising in and let the bread come out onto the paper. Then I tear off the extra to make a shape with handles and simply lower into the pot. I have been doing this for years...way longer than Chad at the bakery that become famous for baking in cast iron :) Here are some pics. I will be glad to answer any questions. You can look on The Fresh Loaf and do a search for info on this type of baking as well as using your clay pot. I know there are folks on there that have done so. c

bread dough rises in cloth lined baskets ( old napkins that are heavily floured with rice/white flour 1/2 and 1/2 combination)

Photobucket

dough turned out onto parchment and parchment then torn to make handles

Photobucket

dough lowered in to preheated 500 degree pots using the parchment

Photobucket

finished loaf still in pot

Photobucket

loaves cooling ...I usually bake 6 loaves...just keep placing pots back in oven and reheating with lids on and removing loaves from fridge where they have retarded...turning out onto parchment and lowering into hot pot

Photobucket

o

Well, I have used the parchment paper method to no avail. Pretty sure the bread isn't overproofed but I am having better luck with my breads when I give them a slow rise. Perhaps its because I use bread machine kneaded dough. Perhaps it's the recipes I'm using. Anyhow, I'm up for experimenting many more times, seeing as how I love bread. I am anxious to try an artisan loaf this weekend. My quest continues for my perfect loaf of bread!! Thanks for the encouragement!

o

I've made bread in my Romertopf before - pretty sure I soaked it in water, laid parchment paper in the bottom, put the loaf to rise in the clay pot. Then soaked the top in water and covered the bread with the top before putting it in a cold oven. I took off the top cover to brown the loaf near the end of the baking time. It turned out great - if a slightly odd-shaped loaf.

Teresa

o

I used the Romertopf at least once...I'm sure that I put the Romertopf in a cold oven and preheated. Then plunked the dough (on parchment) into it and baked it. Was one of those Artisan Bread in 5 or the NY Times version of ABin5. Prolly the NYTimes recipe because I like it better. Generally use a large Corning Ware casserole...works just as good as the Romertopf, doesn't have any leftover 'odor' and cleans up easy.

I want to try baking the bread on a pizza stone & using a clay flower pot for a cloche. Currently only have a toaster oven but have been reading about baking bread on the Weber over at the Fresh Loaf site so maybe I'll get around to trying it. Picked up an unused clay pot that looks like it should be the perfect size. Going to use a metal cabinet knob backed up with large metal washers for a 'handle', using the convenient drain hole.

o

It's been awhile because I have had to switch to mostly gluten-free baking, but I used to make wonderful french bread in my romertopf! The crust was amazing -- you could hear it crackle after it came out of the oven.

Have the bottom of the romertopf soak in cold water for 15 mins., remove from water, dry, and then grease it. Place in the bread dough that's ready for its final rise and cover w/ cloth. Have the top soak in cold water for 15 mins. before it's ready to bake. When final dough rise is completed, place the top on and put the romertopf in a COLD oven. Set oven to baking temp (usually 450F - 475F). Bake w/ top on, but remove top for the last 1-5 mins. to brown bread, if needed.

I LOVE romertopfs! we've been using them for many years...

o

I'm so excited because I just found a recipe for French whole wheat bread in my bread machine cookbook that gives instructions for making it in a cloche, so I am going to try it. It says also to put it in a cold oven, so I am anxious to try that method, although I would also maybe try the method of preheating the pan and transferring the dough. But I have to wait to try it because I have a yummo loaf of pumpkin raisin bread to finish and also another whole wheat sandwich loaf and we have a tiny fridge and freezer so it will probably have to wait until Sunday. Or maybe I'll just break down and do it today, it calls for buttermilk and I have some languishing in the fridge!

o

Used as directed, the Romertoph clay baker will make the best bread you ever tasted. And yes, you do have to put it in a cold oven to start, or it would break. Nevertheless, the dough gets an excellent rise. You will be very amazed at the results. I don't like to bake bread the conventional way after converting to this ingenious method. I love it! And by the way, the crust comes out perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here