Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with pork cracklings?

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 12:42

When DH picked up the pig, I told him to bring home a tub of lard. He brought home a huge bag of cracklings. I rendered out the lard, per their instructions. What do I do with the tubs of cracklings I have left?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with pork cracklings?

OK - doing internet search. These aren't like the pork rinds you see in the store. They are just little bits, actually kind of look like tubs of maggots.

o

Put them into the oven to further "toast" them and render out more fat, salt and eat!
Or freeze them and put them out for the woodpeckers when the snows come.

o

Use them in corn bread or eat them like popcorn.

Here is a link that might be useful: cornbread

o

Thanks gals. Found this too:

My Gold Nuggets are addictive when served warm and fresh as a snack with beer, perfect for watching the game. They can also be added to beans, greens, soups, stews, eggs, or as a salad topping, mixed into cornbread batter adding a tasty crunch. Use them wherever you might add bacon. I once floated them in a cream and pumpkin soup. They. Were. Incredible.

o

My Grandma used to make "cracklin' bread". I remember it was good but I haven't had it in years, and sometimes things just aren't like I remembered, LOL. It was cornbread with cracklin' pieces in it.

Be sure to let us know what you do with them. I do like the idea of putting them on soup,I was thinking butternut squash soup would be good with them, so that's along the same line as pumpkin.

Annie

o

I grind it up as powder and sprinkle on soup, salad and toasts.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here