SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Chicken S-Oops!

moosemac
11 years ago

Friday morning I was looking for something to take to work for lunch. I tend to be very frugal and try to use up leftovers. In the fridge was a about a quarter cup of diced chicken, some left over sauteed mushrooms and a bit of chicken stock. I plopped the above ingredients in a saucepan, threw in a bit of raw rice, a splash of dry vermouth and some roasted garlic and let it simmer while I got ready for work.

When I went to put the soup in a container, I noticed the soup was a little dry so I dug into the freezer for some chicken "juice" or stock, "juice" being the beautiful liquid on the bottom of a pan after roasting chicken. I distinguish between juice and stock because I like juice to flavor rice and stock for soups. Juice is usually a smaller quantity package so for this quick soup I figured I'd just grab a small package to add to the luscious soup.

Here's the oops to the soup. In my rush, I grabbed a bag that was labeled juice but I did not internalize the first word on the bag and made the assumption since it was golden yellow, it was chicken juice. Nope. Unaware, I grabbed pineapple juice, tossed it in the soup and headed to work. Lunch time came and I heated the soup, salivating over the delicious lunch I was about to consume. One bite and I knew something was drastically wrong! OMG it was disgusting! Pineapple juice, dry vermouth, garlic and chicken are NOT a good combination.

Did I mention I keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk and it was Friday??? Whew, lunch was saved!

Comments (8)