Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken S-Oops!

Posted by moosemac (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 12:14

Friday morning I was looking for something to take to work for lunch. I tend to be very frugal and try to use up leftovers. In the fridge was a about a quarter cup of diced chicken, some left over sauteed mushrooms and a bit of chicken stock. I plopped the above ingredients in a saucepan, threw in a bit of raw rice, a splash of dry vermouth and some roasted garlic and let it simmer while I got ready for work.

When I went to put the soup in a container, I noticed the soup was a little dry so I dug into the freezer for some chicken "juice" or stock, "juice" being the beautiful liquid on the bottom of a pan after roasting chicken. I distinguish between juice and stock because I like juice to flavor rice and stock for soups. Juice is usually a smaller quantity package so for this quick soup I figured I'd just grab a small package to add to the luscious soup.

Here's the oops to the soup. In my rush, I grabbed a bag that was labeled juice but I did not internalize the first word on the bag and made the assumption since it was golden yellow, it was chicken juice. Nope. Unaware, I grabbed pineapple juice, tossed it in the soup and headed to work. Lunch time came and I heated the soup, salivating over the delicious lunch I was about to consume. One bite and I knew something was drastically wrong! OMG it was disgusting! Pineapple juice, dry vermouth, garlic and chicken are NOT a good combination.

Did I mention I keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk and it was Friday??? Whew, lunch was saved!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken S-Oops!

Sweet and sour chicken?......

o

Ha, Sweet and sour chicken soup, I like that mom47!

o

I often make a chicken salad, with onions, celery and pineapple bits....and I also will make a "thing" with leftover chicken, mushrooms, celery, slivered almonds and pineapple bits in a white sauce to serve over rice. It sounds wonderful to me!

o

I would think that it is a mistake to label chicken stock as "juice" - at least without the word "chicken" in front of the word "juice". I store juice and stock on different shelves in the freezer, but I label stock with the type of stock it is as well as the date I make it. I've never heard of storing pineapple juice in a bag in the freezer - I keep it in the fridge and use it up before it goes bad.

Lars

o

Of such mistakes, are discoveries made.

I sometimes think we should make one incongruous, random, bizarre food combination a week. How else will we invent new dishes?

This week, how about beets + ice cream?

o

I do like sweet and sour chicken, but I'm not sure that would translate well into soup, LOL.

If it helps, I opened an unlabelled pint jar of what I thought was chicken broth last week. It was homecanned white grape juice, I'm glad I tasted THAT...

John, I think beet ice cream might be good. They made ice cream with avocados and garlic, nuts, herbs (mint is an herb, you know). Beets are naturally sweet and I have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for beets, so it might be pretty good, plus a very pretty color.

Annie

o

That's what I was thinking, um Hawaiian Chicken? No? I would've eaten the bar instead too.

o

You can have my share of beet ice cream...I'll have my beets either buttered or pickled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here