Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bourbon sauce recipe?

Posted by mabeldingeldine (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 12:12

I am entering my Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie in a baking contest this week. I am looking for a good bourbon sauce recipe to go with it. Does anyone have a suggestions? Suggestions for making it look better? I'm a tiny bit competitive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bourbon sauce recipe?

I really can't think it needs a bourbon sauce....sounds sweet and righ enough as is....but I will post a chocolate bourbon sauce.
To maker it look better.....use halves of pecans and make sure they are precisely placed. Don't leave any empty places and make sure all nuts are perfect halves and placed right-side up.
Turn your pie during baking so it browns evenly.
Here's the recipe for a sauce.....do you share the recipe for the pie?
Linda C

o

That pie is lovely. Have you shared the recipe and I missed it?

Eileen

o

Yikes, don't know how that photo got so big! Sorry!

The recipe is based on one I saw on Epicurious, but I used my own pie filling recipe, and for the pecan portion, swapped maple syrup for corn syrup. Dark maple syrup is great here if you can find it, and it also works with walnuts. Baking in a Pyrex plate on a pizza stone makes the bottom crust nicely crisp.

Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Filling
2 c cooked pumpkin puree (I use puree from a roasted pie-pumpkin)
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
2 T sugar
1 extra-large egg, beaten until frothy
2 T heavy cream
1 T unsalted butter, softened
1 T vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
Pinch of allspice
Pinch of nutmeg

Pecan Syrup
1/2 c sugar
3/4 c maple syrup
2 extra-large eggs
1 1/2 T unsalted butter, melted
2 t vanilla
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cinnamon
3/4 c pecan pieces
Pumpkin Filling
Combine all the ingredients thoroughly; set aside.

Pecan Syrup
Combine all the ingredients and set aside.

Assembly
Preheat the oven to 325F. Prepare a 9 inch pie plate with an uncooked crust.
Spoon the Pumpkin Filling into the pan, spreading evenly to distribute. Gently pour the Pecan Syrup on top. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

o

I put bourbon in the pie filling. That's a beautiful pie, by the way.

o

I also put a little bourbon in the pie itself.... and I think your pie is lovely and can easily stand on it's own without a sauce!

Alexa

o

The pie looks great but I would put half pecans all the way in a circle to the center of the pie.
Add the bourbon in the pie; a sauce would be to much.
Pecan pie is very sweet, no sauce needed.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here