Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Halloween party tonight and I am making....Caramel Cheetos!

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 11:53

LOL!

I remember these from last fall when LindaC posted the recipe, Both the kids and grownups just loved them so they will be the prominent snack tonight at our friends halloween party! Here's the recipe for anyone who missed it last year....

Caramel Cheetos
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup margarine - yes, for this one you must use margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 - 21 oz. pkg. Cheetos - crunchy kind

Mix sugar, margarine and corn syrup in pan. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and add soda. Stir until light in color and foamy. Spray a roasting pan (deep 10 x 14) with Pam. Put Cheetos in pan. Pour the mixture over Cheetos and stir, coating each piece. Place in oven at 250 degrees. Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. Immediately, pour onto wax paper, or cookie sheets, sprayed with Pam. (This is the hard part.) VERY QUICKLY spread out as thin as possible. If not quick and spread out as thin as possible, you will get a big hard glob. After about 5 minutes, pull/break these apart even more and loosen them from the wax paper. If you don't, you'll have wax paper stuck to them when you go to eat them.
You will regret it if you don't double the batch as guests are going to demand MORE! You can bake batches together and add an extra 20 minutes to bake time. I do them separately because of having to work so quickly to keep them apart at the end. The one batch can almost get too hard while working with the other batch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Halloween party tonight and I am making....Caramel Cheetos!

I wish someone would make these for me - I'd like to taste them.

They sound too labor intensive for me to tackle.

Hey send some to me after YOU make them ok?

hahah!

o

c-c-caramel cheetos? I'm kind of speechless. And too scared to make them myself! :)

o

mmmmmmmmm....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alexa what is your costume? Our party is next weekend and I am going to be Amy Winehouse. Scott - Joe Paterno, and Will - David the vampire (keifer sutherland's character in the original Lost Boys)...

Have Fun - I love Halloween!!!!!!

o

Oh!! I wish you hadn't reminded me of them!!
I can not keep my hands out of the bowl!

o

What exactly are Cheetos? Don't laugh but I really have no clue when it comes to prepackaged snacks and I'm wondering what I can sub for them or if I should succumb and purchase them.

o

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I was just trying to find it today and even posted without reading your post first. I'm going to try these tomorrow. Thanks!

o

Wasn't this called Coyote Poop?

o

"What exactly are Cheetos?"

Cheetos were invented to torture health food nuts past the brink of insanity. Try as they might to block the craving for useless cheezy temptations Cheetos invades their pleasure cells causing a serotonin/dopamine cascade resulting in total addiction from just one orange dusted nibble. Even causual addicts can be spotted by the tell-tale orange coloring of their thumb and forefinger. Hopeless hardcore addicts may even sport an orange ring around their lips.

; )
lyra

Here is a link that might be useful: the cheezy facts

o

And the beauty of those which you coat with a hard caramel coating...it that you can eat them undetected....as the caramel seals in the orange coating.
They really are naughty....as if Cheetoes alone weren't bad enough....and caramel corn....but to marry the tow together? Oh! My!!
Linda C

o

Thanks bunnyman. Maybe I'll try it and call it witches' poop

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here