SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Bread for T-Day Stuffing/Dressing

triciae
11 years ago

I'm starting to look through my Thanksgiving recipe file. I was looking specifically for my bread recipe for the stuffing/dressing that I got from a KA newsletter back in the early 90s. If you make a traditional sage-type stuffing/dressing this is really good and makes terrific sandwiches with leftovers so thought I'd share. I make it in the bread machine and just let the machine take it all the way through the baking since I'm just going to make toasted cubes with it anyway.

For a Large Loaf (3+ cups flour): (I make 2 loafs)

1 cup water

1 large egg

3 tablespoons butter or margarine

1/3 cup diced onion

2 1/4 teaspoons granulated or brown sugar (I use brown)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dry sage

1 teaspoon celery seeds

3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

2/3 cup cornmeal

2 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Bake this bread on the regular (white bread) cycle of your machine, on a light or medium setting. Note: Don't use the delayed timer, as the presence of egg in the mix means you should prepare dough and bake right away.

NOTE: When I trim the crusts before cubing, I whizz them in the FP and store in a Zip-Lock. Tossed with a bit of melted butter, there's just enough from two loafs to top a 9"x13" casserole of turkey/rice.

I still add fresh sage, onion, celery, etc. when making the stuffing/dressing but the flavor of the bread as background is very good.

/tricia

Comments (15)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor