Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bread for T-Day Stuffing/Dressing

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 11:49

I'm starting to look through my Thanksgiving recipe file. I was looking specifically for my bread recipe for the stuffing/dressing that I got from a KA newsletter back in the early 90s. If you make a traditional sage-type stuffing/dressing this is really good and makes terrific sandwiches with leftovers so thought I'd share. I make it in the bread machine and just let the machine take it all the way through the baking since I'm just going to make toasted cubes with it anyway.

For a Large Loaf (3+ cups flour): (I make 2 loafs)

1 cup water
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup diced onion
2 1/4 teaspoons granulated or brown sugar (I use brown)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dry sage
1 teaspoon celery seeds
3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2/3 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Bake this bread on the regular (white bread) cycle of your machine, on a light or medium setting. Note: Don't use the delayed timer, as the presence of egg in the mix means you should prepare dough and bake right away.

NOTE: When I trim the crusts before cubing, I whizz them in the FP and store in a Zip-Lock. Tossed with a bit of melted butter, there's just enough from two loafs to top a 9"x13" casserole of turkey/rice.

I still add fresh sage, onion, celery, etc. when making the stuffing/dressing but the flavor of the bread as background is very good.

/tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bread for T-Day Stuffing/Dressing

You seriously read my mind Tricia. I was just looking for stuffing recipes this morning.

Thank you!

AM

o

Triciae, what a great idea. I NEVER thought to make
a bread that was dedicated to stuffing, (dressing?).
From the amounts you use, I'm guessin your machine
makes 2 pound loaves. I'm gonna do this.
My 'Breadman' machine likes ratios of 3.5 cups of
dry ingredients, and 1.5 cups of liquid ingredients,
which is about what your recipe is. Thanks.

o

WOW, great idea and thanks for sharing. I was recently looking at a King Arthur recipe for "Stuffing Buns" and thought if I baked it in a loaf it would make a great base for dried stuffing mix, but you provided another great alternative.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur - Stuffing Buns

o

My grandmother always stuffed the turkey... whatever wouldn't fit went into a casserole. Was alwyas good but not GREAT like stuff inside bird. She'd buy a loaf or 2 of "day old" bread a few days before the big day. Would have whatever grand-kids that were around at the time tear it up the day before. It wasn't hard EARLY the day of, but definitely dried out some. She'd saute a LOT of onions and celery in a LOT of butter... with Bell's seasoning... then we got to squish it all together with out CLEAN hands!

o

Tricia, that recipe sounds better than the one I've been using, so I'll give it a try. I do the same thing you do -- just let the bread machine take care of everything. Since no one is going to see the final loaf, there's no need to worry about what the bread looks like. And I do the same thing with the crust, making pre-seasoned bread crumbs. However, the bread smells so good that I invariably snitch four slices to make grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. The herbs in the bread really complement the melted cheddar cheese filling.

Grainlady, the stuffing buns sound like a perfect accompaniment to soups. thanks for the link.

o

shambo-

I think the Stuffing Buns would work well for sandwich rolls for leftover turkey, as well as rolls to accompany turkey soup. This is getting better all the time, all those turkey entrees......

Kinda' like "A Christmas Story" when the dogs ate the turkey - "The heavenly aroma still hung in the house. But it was gone, all gone! No turkey! No turkey sandwiches! No turkey salad! No turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Or gallons of turkey soup! Gone, ALL GONE!" LOL).

-Grainlady

o

I always made my mothers stuffing ,not good,Then I went to a banquet where this older lady made stuffing,oh my gosh,Ill use this forever..You put butter in fry pan put celery chopped,onions chopped,add torn bread,parsley just stir occasionally so everything gets coated,just till lightly brown stuff bird omg

o

I always save stale bread and abandoned crusts, grind them into crumbs in my blender, and freeze them in an ice cream bucket. Then, I always have crumbs on hand for bread crumb waffles/pancakes, casserole toppings, and poultry dressing. However, since bread of all varieties and descriptions ends up in that bucket, I can never predict exactly what the stuffing will taste like, although it always tastes good (no one has yet dared disagree with me...)

o

I have added my stuffing spices to the cornbread mixture for years. I thought everyone did this.

o

Tricia,

Thank you so much for posting this. I never thought to do something like that. I definitely want to try it this year.

o

This sounds amazing, and I am going to use it this Thanksgiving! I made sourdough bread for my dressing last year, and it was ok, but nothing special. Results should be much improved this year...thanks!

o

I'm giving this recipe a thumbs up. I loved it for the dressing I made last night, and a leftover slice was good under scrambled eggs and a good glug of Chase's chili sauce for breakfast.

I used white cornmeal though the recipe likely meant for yellow. The cornmeal flavor definitely came through though and the texture was more like regular bread than cornbread, which was just fine with me as I don't particularly care for cornbread stuffing.

o

FOAS, that's why I like that bread for stuffing/dressing also. I don't care for 100% cornbread stuffing either. This recipe gives a little cornbread taste without the texture issues I dislike. Glad you liked it also. Your breakfast (with the salsa) made me write a note to try the bread for BLTs next summer. :)

/tricia

o

I haven't made or used special bread (other than cornbread) for stuffing, but I have found that I like certain breads for making French toast - especially Challah bread. I will buy bread at the day-old section for French toast if it is slightly sweet, but I would never buy sweet bread otherwise. I found some cinnamon bread once that made excellent French toast.

For stuffing, I always use more cornbread than wheat bread, but then I grew up in the cornbread/grits belt! For a while I was making stuffing with grits because it was quick and easy, but I've gone back to the cornbread version, and I do not use wheat flour when I make cornbread, although I do use it when I make cornmeal pancakes. I have a new griddle, and I've been making more pancakes and French toast lately.

Have you thought of making special bread for French toast? I'm planning to make crepes this week-end with strawberries since the apple pancakes I made last week-end did not turn out the way I wanted them to. If I'm not making sense, it is because I have stayed up too late, but I had to wait for the helicopters to leave.

Lars

o

I did it..... I found the recipe at King Arthur and made the small loaf (will probably regret not making the large loaf ;-). Snitched the heel when the loaf was cool and shared it with hubby and he said he'd like a grilled cheese for lunch tomorrow using the bread.

I used hard red spring wheat flour since I had enough leftover from some baking I did Friday, and my home-milled cornmeal was fairly coarse (probably a medium grind), which adds more texture and "tooth", which we liked. I bet the bread will smell heavenly as a grilled sandwich. I also used dehydrated onions (1 T. instead of 1/4 c. fresh diced onion).

Once I make it into a dry stuffing/dressing mix, I plan on making this recipe...

SALMON LOAF

1 (16-oz.) can salmon, INCLUDING liquid
1/2 c. turkey stuffing mix
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 egg
1/2 c. mayonnaise

Mix well. Pack into loaf pan. Bake in a 400-degree F oven for 30-minutes.

[Grainlady note: I will bake it in a muffin pan for individual servings I can freeze. This will be wonderful with creamed peas made with freeze-dried peas.]

Thanks again for the recipe Tricia!!! Two thumbs up!

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Stuffing Bread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here