Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruby Red plate update

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 11:43

Over the years, some CFers have asked asked where I bought my everyday red glass dishes and I replied that I have had them for so long, I didn't remember.

I was surprised to open a Vermont Country Store catalog this week and on the first page of their Holiday Preview section were ruby red made glass plates similar to the ones I use. No soup bowls, cups or saucers but made in USA glass plates in three sizes and three colors including the red.

Canno1 photo Canno1.jpg

I have no affiliation with VCS and did not order any but wanted to pass the info. along for those who have asked about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby red glass plates

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruby Red plate update

I am not sure about this.

Red is not so common because you need to use gold to make red glass?

dcarch

o

Good red glass beads are more expensive than many other colors. There are a few other more expensive colors - cobalt blue, maybe?

o

Yes. Gold is the colorant in red glass. It doens't take much, but probably enough to make it more expensive than other colors.

Jim

o

I have a collection of sorts of ruby red glass dishes, inherited from my mother, and collected from estate sales by Jerry, or just picked up from time to time as we stumble across it. I had no idea it was rare.

I also had no idea it has selenium or gold in it. Should I be worried?

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here