Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guacamole for tonite?

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 11:02

I want to make it now, but will it turn brown by 6:30 tonight?

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guacamole for tonite?

Not if you put enough lime into it...
But I would wait until about 6:15...how hard is it to mash some avocado with some garlic and lime and a little hot sauce?

o

If you must make it ahead, store it something narrow enough to let you cover the whole top with the lime or lemon juice. Don't mix it in until you're ready to serve it.
I agree, though, that it's better to wait. I don't like cold guacamole, and you would want to refrigerate it if you make it ahead. Have all the ingredients prepped and ready, and throw it together at the last minute.

o

Or, press some plastic wrap on top of it and refrigerate. It only browns where exposed to air.

As Christine says, it should be served at room temperature. So take it out of the fridge ahead of time to warm up or nuke it for 10 or 15 seconds.

Jim

o

Mix everything except the avocado and refrigerate, then just mask up the avo at the last minute.

o

"Mask"?? I think I mean "mash".... ;-o

o

I do it like Sushipup said. But I also put any leftovers in the fridge, and do like other folks say, cover with lemon juice and put saran wrap over it. Stays mostly green, but better fresh. You can make it somewhat in advance though, does not have to be within a 15 min. window. Not sure how long the window is, but I routinely make it 30 min. ahead or more. (Just not sure how much more, lol!) But I use a lot of vinegary homeade salsa in my guac.

o

I don't like lime or lemon juice in my guacamole, which is the reason I suggested pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the guacamole (not just stretching it over the bowl). A layer of acidic juice on top of the guacamole will work in a similar way of course, if you want that flavor. I certainly would not stir in enough lemon juice to make it acid through and through and that is
unnecessary.

In any case, the surface of guacamole will discolor quite quickly if exposed to air. Giving it a good stir at serving time will freshen it up.

Jim

o

Well I used lots of lime, then pushed plastic wrap around the top, and it kept beautifully for 5 hours. It was a hit and got snarfed up quickly. Thanks everybody. I used to know what to do, but cooking for the last two years has been low on my priorities since we started raising grandbabies. Hope my memory comes back, LOL.
Sherry

o

I just saw this and it's too late for the op, but if you put the whole avocado seeds back into the avocado (as many as you have) it will keep the guacamole green for a LONG time.

o
RE: Guacamole for tonite? oops

I meant to write "back into the guacamole," not "back into the avocado."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here