Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall weather makes me hungry for....

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 11:01

cinnamon rolls, pumpkin pancakes, apple pie, spice cakes,turkey, anything with cinnamon...and almost anything that wizardnm cooks. What does fall make you hungry for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall weather makes me hungry for....

All of the above except the pumpkin pancakes, but, since I have never tried those I'll reserve judgement.
Also love stews, soups, dried beans, cornbread....I could go on and on. Oops, forgot apple stuff.

o

I've been enjoying the flavors of fall. I recently made cabbage rolls, we had a good pork shoulder roast just last night and on Sunday I made a roasted organic chicken that I stuffed with apple and dried cherry bread stuffing. I also tried a new recipe for carrots with a orange, maple and cinnamon glaze, loved them.

Add maple and caramel to your list of fall flavors...they go with apples and pumpkins really nice.

Nancy

o

My plans for the next couple of weeks include boulliabaisse . . .

o

I made "Black Walnut and Oatmeal Cookies" yesterday and black walnuts always remind me of fall. Today I have my Nordic Ware Acorn Cakelet Pan out to make some acorn-shaped sourdough pumpkin muffins (I never throw away a cup of starter - LOL). -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Acorn Cakelet Pan

o

Pumpkin, pumpkin, and more pumpkin. Pie, bread, pancakes, etc. Spices used with pumpkin. Apples are good too, but the spices that go with apples, often go with pumpkin. Maybe it's the spices I like? I love soup and stew along with dumplings made right on top of the soup/stew. All of the Thanksgiving foods, turkey, sage, cranberries, etc. get my appetite going! And crystallized ginger. Mmm

Does this sound like a good recipe? I have been looking for one for sometime and I came across it.

Servings: 6
"These barely-sweetened fluffy pancakes feature ginger, cinnamon and allspice to emphasize the pumpkin flavor. Serve them hot with maple syrup for the best autumn or winter breakfast dish ever."

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using
approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. [spread batter until it's thin enough]. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: from AllRecipes

o

Apple and pumpkin-anything!

o

Soups, stews, apple anything, pumpkin anything, cinnamon anything, hot tea, chicken and dumplings (made some this weekend), chili, and.... a reason to get back to my bread baking!

Teresa

o

Chili...pumpkin(squash) soup...apple pie, apple cake with cake gravy, apple crisp "last of the season glop"...tomato, onion, garlic, peppers and zucchini all cooked together, fried green tomatoes...brats and kraut....

o

Oh yea! I forgot about Oktoberfest type foods. Brats and kraut, with a big fishbowl of beer from GerstHaus. Schnitzel... yep. Good one!

o

Love pumpkin pancakes.

Pumpkin and Brown-Sugar Creme Brulee
Bon Appetit

Yield: Makes 8 servings

• 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 8 tablespoons raw sugar or golden brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325F. Whisk pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in large bowl. Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla, then spices and salt. Bring cream just to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot cream into pumpkin mixture.

Divide mixture among eight 5x1-inch ramekins. Divide ramekins between 2 large roasting pans. Add enough hot water to pans to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes.

Chill custards until cold, about 6 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.
    Sprinkle 1 tablespoon raw sugar over pumpkin custard in each ramekin. Using kitchen torch, melt sugar until deep amber. (Alternatively, use broiler. Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar [not raw sugar] and melt directly under broiler until deep amber.) Refrigerate 15 minutes to allow sugar to harden.

DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 hour ahead. Keep chilled.
    More info: This recipe can also be made using 3-inch-diameter ramekins with 1 1/4-inch-high sides. Bake for about 50 minutes.

•  o

All of the above!!! Made chili day before yesterday with Hoosier Corn Dish and it was so good.

o

I start wanting the more "substantial" things like chili, bread or cinnamon rolls and other baked goods.

I agree that I want anything nancy would make and I love pumpkin pancakes. I want maple things year round!

Annie

o

Anything frozen sounds good right now - ice cream, sorbet, smoothies, etc. along with iced drinks. I've been making a lot of pasta salad as well.

Our apples are just now beginning to get ripe, but it's way to hot too make a pie, and so that will just have to wait. It was 86 degrees when I went home for lunch, and so I had my usual sandwich plus some chocolate coconut ice cream - made with coconut instead of dairy.

September is our hottest month, and a lot of times the heat lasts through October. I never thought of fall weather happening until mid November at the earliest, even in Texas. I've also never seen dramatic fall foliage, although the gum trees on my street now have leaves that turn a nice shade of red at various times between now and January. The poinsettias turn red in December, and they are much more dramatic.

Lars

o

I am going to try both the pumpkin pancake recipe AND Cathy's creme brulee recipe. Yummy. There is no way I can stay on Weight Watchers in the fall. My bad.

o

Since I live in FL it will still be awhile, but we always kick off the fall season on Halloween with a big pot of chili. I tend to bake more, too - fresh bread, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here