SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Wild Imaginations (pix heavy)

I was told, to Native Americans, wild rice is a sacred gift. And,

DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT!

This is my attempt to imagine up something that's meaningful and possibly tasty.

The first thing I decided that the rice should not be a side dish. It is going to play the leading role.

That ruled out making a sea scallop, steak, whole chick, fish ------- dish.

Since rice has the ability to incorporate other flavors, it occurred to me that the accompanying ingredients must have something to contribute to the rice.

I decided to have mussels, bay scallops, and bacon to accompany the rice.

Basically, the rice was simmered with juices from the mussels and scallops, than flavored with bacon drippings. No water was used. I was also lucky that the sweetness of the black garlic and texture worked very well as a backdrop for the earthy flavor of the wild rice. Some mushrooms and onions were added and other minor seasonings.

I was extremely lucky that the rice was cooked to perfection even I wasn't sure how much liquid (scallop and mussel juice) should have been used. It was not mushy and not tough. Each grain was savored distinctly.

The plating subtly and abstractly recalls some Native American symbolism and motifs of the hawk and the circle of life.

Some extra rice was used to indulge in a little seasonal fun with a butternut squash and cauliflower. I know what you are thinking. The rice does look like maggots. In real life it really doesn't. That's the way it photographs.

Happy Halloween to everyone, especially to you, Teresa_mn. This is a gift that's more than a gift.

I urge you all to try and to learn about real wild rice, not the so-called wild rice in the stores. I assure you it will be worth your while.

dcarch

Comments (23)