SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Seasoning Mixes (home made)

rachelellen
13 years ago

My brother (lives Back East) works full time, and has a fair commute. He also has a teen aged son, and likes to eat healthy. His routine on Sundays is to prep as many of his meals as he can for the week. Some meats go into marinades in the freezer. He makes a big batch of salad greens and chopped vegetables to take for his lunches, topped with whatever meats he has available. He doesn't really use dressing for his salads, relying on lots of chopped tomatoes, onions and avocados for moisture and flavor. He even makes up "egg McMuffins" with English muffins, low fat "cheese," egg beaters & ham slices for breakfasts.

I am working on developing some seasoning rubs to enhance quickly broiled, pan fried or roasted meats as a gift. I want also to send him some herb mixes he can blend with low or non-fat mayo/yogurt for guilt-free salad dressings and maybe some sort of low-fat salad sprinkles. Sprinkles would also maybe enhance his veggies, as he mostly steams them.

A few I like and am thinking of sending him are:

Lebanese Spice Mix

4 T ground cinnamon

1 T ground chili

1 T ground cardamom pods

1 T ground cloves

Baharat (Middle Eastern Spice Rub)

1/3 c black pepper

1/4 c coriander

/4 c cinnamon

1/3 c cumin

2 t cardamom

1/4 c nutmeg (yes, that is one quarter cup)

1/2 c paprika

1/3 c curry powder

1/4 c amchur*

*amchur is an Indian spice that has a nicely sour flavor. I think I subbed it for ground, dried limes in the original recipe. If unavailable, I suspect that sprinkling the meats with lemon or lime juice prior to rubbing in the spices would work.

SouthWest Seasoning Rub

2 T chili powder

2 t ground cumin

2 T paprika

1 t black pepper

1 T ground coriander

1/2 t cayenne

1 t crushed red pepper

1 T celery salt*

1 T dried oregano, crumbled fine

*I use my home made celery salt, which has more celery seed, less salt...sub 2 teaspoons ground celery seed and 1 teaspoon salt.

Any favorite mixes, y'all?? Rubs, salad dressing mixes, salad sprinkles??

I'm also wanting to send him some Faux Shake 'n' Bake kind of mix...I have one I make with cornflake crumbs and spices, but am interested in any of yours...

Comments (16)