Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a covered dish that will knock their socks off!

Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 10:34

I need a covered dish for a fellowship after the family mass at church tomorrow. I am involved in a development committe trying to bridge the church community and the school community together. Sooo, I want to make a covered dish that is a T&T recipe and that can sit for 1 hour (church service) in an aircondtioned room and still be good to serve to people. I thought about a vegetable/vinegar based cold pasta salad but I really want to do something differnt.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a covered dish that will knock their socks off!

You can pack your dish into a cooler....wrap it well with a kitchen towel and several layers of newspaper and it will stay hot for 2 or more hours. I have even put a clean brick in the oven with the casserole and wrapped that in newspapers to put in the cooler to keep it hot.

I have made this pineapple casserole and people just go crazy over it. I once had a stranger stop me on the street to ask if I wasn't Linda C the one who made that wonderful pineapple casserole....and she hadn't even attended the funeral where it was served....just heard about it!!

One # 10 can of pineapple, food service size
Drain saving the juice
mix 2/4 cup of the juice with 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar and2/3 cup of flour.
Pour over pineapple in an 8 1/2 by 11 pyrex dish and mix well...mix in 3 cups shredded sharp chedder cheese.
Top with cornflake crumbs and drizzle 2/3 cup melted butter over the top.
Bake 40 minutes at 375 or until browned and bubbly.
Linda C

o

Probably too late for ya, but this one gets rave reviews.

Jkom51s BILs Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

(1) Double Pate Brisee crust from Silver Palate for a 9x13 pan:

Ingredients:

3 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
pinch Sugar
1 1/3 stick butter, chilled
6 Tbsp Shortening, chilled
1/2 C ice water

Sift the flour, sugar and salt together into a bowl; add butter and shortening and cut them into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is like coarse meal. Sprinkle on and blend in enough ice water to make a workable dough, mixing water in lightly with a fork. Turn dough out onto your work surface and, using the heel of your hand, smear the dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape up the smeared dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Unwrap dough, place on floured work surface, and pound it a few times with your rolling pin to soften it. Roll out 1/8-inch thick, or to desired thickness. Drape dough over a 9x13 Pyrex pan; ease it into the pan without stretching, pat into place, trim off excess, and crimp edge if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and prick the bottom and sides well with a fork. Line the pan with foil or wax paper; fill with beans, rice, or pastry weights to weight the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the dough is just beginning to color. Remove from oven, remove weights and lining, and cool slightly.

(2) Filling

Drop oven temp to 375F.

1 small bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts (or onions species your choice)
1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
8 oz feta cheese
Six eggs
1 C Half & half
1 Tbsp herb seasoning such as savory, thyme, Italian herb mix
Fresh ground pepper (there is enough salt in the feta)

Saut scallions in butter/oil your choice until slightly wilted. Add spinach and further cook until wilted. Remove from heat and cool, move to a large bowl. Chop roasted red peppers and feta and add to the bowl. Mix in the eggs, Half and Half, and herbs/pepper. Pour filling into the baked crust, and bake 30 - 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven, serve.

o

Darn it, I KNOW I'm too late, but I vote for SharonCB's Salmon Pie. I made it for the Michigan Run and it was so good I was surprised. Not surprised that it was good but that it was so outstandingly good.

Easy too, with a can of salmon and eggs. I think I need to make another one, just for me!

Annie

o

Karen I know this is now too late for your request.

But in answer to Annie.....Annie I wonder if you're confusing me with someone else's recipe for salmon pie. The one I've posted several times is a Salmon Quiche with Walnut Crumb Crust recipe which I got from my daughter, which is a little more complicated with the crumb crust and all. I don't remember posting a recipe called salmon pie (I do forget things though) ...although I did post one for salmon cakes, until I started using Marilyn's Fresh Salmon Patties. If this is the one, then thank you for your praises, but I think another forum member is the one who rightly deserves them LOL! Could you please post the recipe you have if different from this one...as we love salmon in any form TIA.

SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Pastry:
Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate.

1 - 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven.
Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
Filling:
3 eggs beat till frothy
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too.
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe.

SharonCb

o

Annie not sure if this is the one you are referring to but here is the Salmon Pie recipe I used. Great dish inspired by Monique.

Salmon Pie

2 (8-ounce) salmon fillets ( can use canned salmon )
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3 Cups court bouillon (omit if using canned salmon)
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Cup finely chopped onions
1 Tbl chopped garlic
1 Tbl finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Cup mashed potatoes
1 egg
1/2 Cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.~

Season the salmon with salt and white pepper. In a saute pan, add the court bouillon and bring to a simmer. Add the salmon and poach for 6 to 8 minutes. Allow the salmon to cool in the water until tepid. Remove the salmon from the pan and discard the liquid. Flake the salmon into a mixing bowl.In another saute pan, heat the oil. (or skip this step altogether and use canned salmon)

When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season the onions with salt and white pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic and parsley. Add the Sauteed mixture to the salmon. Mix thoroughly. Add the potatoes, egg, and cream. Mix well. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.

Fill an unbaked pie shell, top with pastry, crimp and cut steam vents or omit bottom crust and top with puff pastry.

Bake at 350 until golden brown.

Note: Can sub a white sauce for egg and cream.

Court Boullion ( Alton Brown)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 celery rib, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Strain or use chunky the first time, then strain through a fine mesh and either refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Either way, be sure to bring to a boil before reusing.

o

Yum that sounds so good.....I love Salmon so I am saving this recipe...

o

I made He-Man Potatoes (only because I had a special request for some) but I have another covered dish after church for next month. I've copied and pasted all of these recipes and will use one next month.

Thanks guys.

o

The salmon quiche Annie made was Sharoncb's recipe. It truly was outstanding! I made it for mother's day brunch, too. It is definitely a keeper!

That salmon pie recipe looks good, too! I love salmon!

Linda

o

LINDA.....WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY FOOD SERVICE SIZE? I WANT TO MAKE THIS BECAUSE I LOVE PINEAPPLE. THANKS !!! DIANA55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here