SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

I really need some helpful suggestions.

caflowerluver
14 years ago

I need some easy menu suggestions for my DH who has never really cooked. For 32 years I have done all the cooking. He has done simple things like pasta and hamburger and fries but nothing using a recipe. I fell and broke my hip in 2 places Oct. 11th and got out of the hospital the 21st. I am on bed rest or recliner chair for the next 4 weeks. No standing up for very long, so no cooking.

While I was in the hospital they ate lots of pre-cooked frozen pasta meals and pizza or just plain pasta. I hate pre-cooked frozen meals. Since I have been home we have gone through all the easy stuff like frozen Mexican, hamburger & fries, ham steak, steak and take out Chinese. I am craving the home cooked meals I use to make. I know that may be too much for him to do so need some easy recipes that a novice can do.

I pointed out what I thought was an easy recipe in Sunset magazine to him and I got a dazed look, so it needs to be super easy. He has a lot of his plate right now so don't want to overload him, but I need decent food. My appetite is off due to all the meds so I need good food to entice me to eat. I was pretty much on a liquid diet at the hospital. I couldn't stand the food, it was so bad! Well that is one way to lose weight. LOL

Thanks everyone.

Clare

Comments (44)

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh you poor darling! That's just AWFUL news. I know what you mean about meds wiping out your appetite. Everything tastes like dirt on pain meds as I recall.

I don't have any quick easy recipes but I do have a sweet little cookbook I found recently called "Faster! I'm Starving! 100 Dishes in 25 Minutes or Less." The food is tasty, varied in terms of international cuisine, and easy. It comes with a shopping list to stock your pantry and freezer. And has a section on meals for 15 minutes or less. I will happy it ship to you. Maybe it will serve as inspiration if nothing else.

Hugs,
    Eileen

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I sent you an email through GW.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: I really need some bulb help!

Q

Comments (1)
    Welcome to Gardenweb! I have some crocosmia bulbs I can send you for postage. Advice: Post in the "Plant Exchange" area, something like "Wanted: Newbie needs help". And it's a good idea to have your email on your member page, people get really frustrated when they can't contact you. Let me know if you'd like some crocosmia. Dee
    ...See More

I really need some help

Q

Comments (8)
    If you're heart is set on using the Rubbermaid container and the pump you have, all you really need is a lawn-type sprinkler or holes drilled in the outlet pipe from the pump -- just anything that will scatter the water around the inside top of the container. Start your seeds in sand or soil first, then transplant the "seedlings" into perlite inside net pots. You can drill the lid to the Rubbermaid container the right size using a hole saw and a drill motor, then just plop the net pots into the holes, add the seedlings and plant nutrient and let 'er rip! I use a similar setup in my "cloners". I merely direct the outlet spray from the pump to the underside of the lid and drill holes all along the edge of the plastic lid into which I drop my net pots. The net pots contain perlite and one seedling each. The water from the pump hits the lid and sprays in a circular pattern wetting each of the net pots. Use whatever size pot you think will accommodate your particular plant. Run the pump 24/7 if cloning or at least once every hour or so for regular growing. Just don't let the net pots actually dry out. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    ...See More

I really need some help...ASPA!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree with Lisa dee. It is absolutely NOT too late to put on the reducer and it should be done asap. Quickly, put up another box for the Blues. You don't have to have a lot of room. They will nest within fairly close proximity. Mine are nesting within 50 feet of each other as I type. Run to Lowes and get a Bluebird box for $10, and get a T-post to mount it on. I buy the 6-7ft T-post, and it's really inexpensive. I mount mine with machine screws,(10-24x 2-1/2SS)washers,and lock tite nuts. I agree with Lisa. Do this as QUICKLY as you can. Then, you will have nesting Blues and Dees!! Do whichever thing can be accomplished the fastest first. I suppose that you would have to go to a birding specialty store to find a reducer or else buy one on-line.
    ...See More

Need a New Vacuum

Q

Comments (10)
    We have had a Miele for the past 6 years and have been very pleased with its performance. The model we chose, which has been discontinued, comes with a carpet cleaner attachment with a brush that spins. But unlike most of this type, the spin is powered by the suction, not a separate electric motor. Less complicated. That attachement is superb on wall to wall and oriental carpets. The separate attachment for hard floors also works very well. You can also get an attachment that is easily adjustable for doing both carpets and hard floors. We use that one when we're in a hurry and don't have time for the separate attachments. The other attachments, for dusting furniture, vacuuming upholstery, and getting in crevices are all thoughtfully designed and useful. But the most important feature of the Miele is its HEPA filter. Without one, you're just blowing some of your dust back into the air. WHATEVER BRAND YOU DECIDE ON, MAKE SURE IT HAS A HEPA FILTER. I would never use one with a HEPA filter.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    14 years ago

Clare:
    Sorry to hear about your accident.
    If I lived close to you, I would come and make meals for you and get the Dazed look off DH face.

I don't know your Favorites but you can start with Omelets.

Bean soups, like Canned Beans !!! He can make in 10 minutes.
    Throw a Chicken in the oven with Potatoes, sprinkle on the good Spices.
    That's easy and you can coach him. Get out the wooden Spoon.
    Is he retired ??? I'm retarded !!! I forget things.

Can he use the computer ?

Eileen's Book sounds good.

I'll think of quick recipes. If you want send me your PO address.
    Wish you well or Better every Day.
    Lou

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your accident! Heal quickly and I am sending positive energy to you all. As far as quick and easy.... I rely on the following a lot. If your DH isn't into the pound it thin aspect, I bet he could slice the chicken breasts into several pieces and make any of the following almost as a stir fry. A few noodles and a frozen veg (Steam in the bag) on the side with a bagged salad and he would be all set to serve you!

Good luck to you both!

Alexa

NINE 30 MINUTE CHICKEN DINNERS
    Before cooking, pound each cutlet between sheets of waxed paper until l/4-inch thick. Each recipe serves two.

THE TECHNIQUE:
    Dredge one whole chicken breast, skinned, boned, split in half and pounded, in 2 T. flour. * In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1 T. oil and 1 T. butter or margarine until hot and foamy. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on both sides. Add the flavor makers. Cover and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to plate and keep warm. Over medium-high heat, boil sauce in skillet rapidly until slightly thickened. Add finishing touches and heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and add garnishes.

To make Chicken Marsala
    Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. Marsala wine,
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped parsley
    Garnish - Additional parsley

To make California Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. dry white wine
    Finishing Touch - 1/2 avocado, sliced
    Garnish - chopped parsley

To make Chicken Milanese - * Instead of flour, dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs
    Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. chicken broth; 1/4 c. white wine
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped Parsley
    Garnsih - additional Parsley

To make Chicken Picatta
    Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. white wine; 2 T. lemon juice
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped Parsley
    Garnish - Lemon slices

To make Yucatan Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. lemon juice; 3 T. raisins; 2 T. canned chopped hot chilies
    Finishing Touch - 1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    Garnish - toasted pine nuts

To make Sante Fe Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. red wine; 1/4 c. tomato puree; 3/4 tsp. dried oregano; 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    Garnish - Lime wedges and Sour Cream

To make Provencal Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/3 c. chopped onion; 1 tsp. Dried basil, 3/4 c. white wine
    Finishing Touch - 1/2 c. chopped, canned tomatoes; 1/4 c. black olives, chopped
    Garnish - Chopped parsley or fresh basil

To make Sesame Chicken - Mix 1 egg with 2 T. milk. After dredging in flour, dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with 3 T. sesame seeds.
    Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. chicken broth; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce; 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/4 tsp. sesame oil; 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    Garnish - Chopped parsley or cilantro

To make Chicken with Peppers
    Flavor Makers - 1/4 c. diced, cooked ham; 1/4 c. chopped onion; 1/2 c. white wine; 1/4 red pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 green pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
    Garnish - Chopped parsley

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Here is an easy soup that I plan to try this week:

NAVY BEAN SOUP
    4 Cans of Navy Beans rinsed (mash one can in a bowl)
    1 white onion  grated
    2 garlic cloves - crushed
    2 carrots  shredded
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Ham (from the deli) Diced
    Water
    JaneÂs Crazy Mixed Up Salt  to taste

Put it all in a pot and let simmer all day. Serve with good crusty bread and Tabasco for individual seasoning.
    Simple, hearty, healthy and delicious.

And another easy soup:

FRIJOLES SOUP

1 large can frijoles (refried beans)
    1 small can of black beans - rinsed
    1 fresh Jalapeño  diced
    1 clove garlic - pressed
    6 slices of bacon - chopped and fried
    1 container salsa
    Water - enough to make it "soupy"

Sour cream and shredded cheese for topping.

Just mix it all in the pot and set it to simmer all day. If you want to get fancy fry up some tortilla strips for topping.

Add a sandwich to a good bowl of soup and call it dinner!

Can he make pancakes from a mix? Fry up some bacon or sausage links, add some syrup and have breakfast for dinner.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Can he grill a burger?
    Then he can grill a steak or a pork chop.
    There are many many things that can be kept in the freezer, then thawed, coated with seasoned bread crumbs and popped into a 375 oven for 20 minutes and served.
    Ues preseasoned Italian bread crumbs...and you will find it works with chicken breast, hamburger patties, salmon filet, sirloin tenters and likely more I am forgetting.
    Remember that old stuff called "shake and bake? Well there you have it!
    also a whole chicken in a 375 oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until the leg moves easily in the socket....the breast may be over done, but at times like this the important thing is to get food on the table.
    Potatoes both white and sweet can be nuked, frozen veggies also nuked or steamed.
    And most grocery stores now sell pre prepared vegetables...
    Also he could just put a chuck roast and a few peeled carrots and an onionn and a couple of washed red potatoed in a covered roaster, add a little broth or wine cover and cook at300 for about 4 hours....then justw arm up the next day.
    Be good....stay in your chair and heal!!
    Linda C

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh dear, Clare, I'm so sorry to hear that. Lou is right, omelettes are a good place to start, as are frittatas, even a quiche if he uses that refrigerated pie filling.

Bean soup is easy, just chop up an onion and a carrot, dump a bag of beans into the crockpot, add salt and pepper, a bay leaf if you like, ham if you want. use pinto beans or navy beans or whatever there is handy. Let it cook all day and it's done. Add seasonings to the leftovers the next day and have baked beans.

The same thing works for split pea soup if you like that.

A roast chicken is really easy and he could just scrub potatoes and put them in the oven too for baked potatoes. Roasted vegetables are really easy, just wash and cut up whatever you like, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at about 400F until the vegetables are done. Times vary with the veggies, of course, butternut squash takes way longer than eggplant.

I'll try to think of some more...

Annie

• woodie
    14 years ago

Clare, I'm so sorry to hear about your broken and wishing you all the best with your recuperation. Ken went through that 11 years ago.

Hamburger Tomato Macaroni Soup

2 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup diced carrot
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup diced celery
    10 cups beef stock
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    2 cups macaroni
    salt
    pepper

Brown hamburger and drain fat, season with s&p, add onion carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add beef stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes, add macaroni and simmer 10 more minutes.

GINGER'S CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed

8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemay, thym & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until wel blended. Place rost in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~

Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

BEEF BRISKET FROM SARA MOULTON

1 Beef Brisket, any size
    Salt & Pepper
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    Minced garlic
    Mix together:
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup chili sauce
    3 TBL brown sugar
    1 bottle beer

Lay meat in oven going baking dish. Salt & pepper it, spread garlic over top, spread onions over the garlic. Pour sauce over the meat. Cover tightly with foil and roast at 300* for 3 hours if small 1/2 brisket or 4 hours if large, whole brisket.
    Uncover, let meat rest, and pour gravy into a saucepan. Puree with handheld blender, or pour carefully into blender and puree. Slice meat across grain and serve with gravy.

PAT T'S IDIOT PORK CHOPS

2 sticks butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    Italian bread crumbs
    6 pork chops

Mix the melted butter and the eggs being careful that the butter is not so hot it will cook the eggs. Dip your pork chops in the butter/egg mix, and then the Italian bread crumbs, and then dip it AGAIN in the butter/egg mix and Again in the Italian bread crumbs. You have to dip it in each twice as it is not as good if you only do it one time. Bake the pork chops at 350° F. for 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the chops.
    Debbie 814's Chicken Riggies

1 stick butter, melted
    1 onion minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    20 oz. jar of sweet peppers (sliced with seeds removed)
    3 sliced hot cherry peppers (packed in jar with oil)

Saute above ingredients.

Add:

1 cup parmigiano cheese
    2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)

Cook for 1 hour.

Pour over 1 1/2 boxes of cooked Rigatoni pasta. Serve with fresh Italian bread.

Jain's Chicken Breasts with Garlic and Parsley
    (this is my adaptation of Jain's original recipe)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (each about 7 ounces), cut into 1- to 1-1/2 inch cubes

1 tablespoon flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 lemon, juiced and zested (to taste)

Dry the chicken cubes with paper towels and toss them with the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot but not smoking, add the cubed chicken, and cook in one layer, turning occasionally, for about 3-1/2 minutes.

Add the butter, garlic and parsley to the skillet and saute for 1 minute longer, shaking the skillet occasionally to coat the chicken. Add lemon juice and zest to taste. Garnish plate with a wedge of lemon.

• katefisher
    14 years ago

One of my husband's most favorite and easiest recipes is corn beef in the crock pot. All he does it get a brisket and put it in the crock pot. No browning or searing needed. Then he pours a bottle of beer over it and maybe sloshes in some whiskey. Add a bit of black pepper and garlic and the meat spice packet. Cook on slow all day long. If so inclined he adds rough cut potatoes, carrots and/or cabbage around mid day. Always a winner.

Hope this helps.

Kate

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We will probably pick up a cooked chicken from the supermarket and just have baked potatoes and steamed veggies. He can do that easily. I keep telling him that it is easy to follow directions in a recipe, especially slow cooker ones where you just dump everything in. I think he is just feeling overwhelmed right now and doesn't want to learn cooking on top of everything else. I will keep working on him and who knows maybe he will really get to like cooking after he does it awhile.

Thanks again for the well wishes.
    Clare

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I hope you feel better soon Clare.

Most people that don't cook get a little intimidated by recipes. It's funny that Linda mentioned that old stuff called shake in bake. I still love that stuff. He can pick up some bone in chicken breasts and some pork chops and a box of shake and bake for each. Anyone can put the meat in the bag and shake. He can also pick up a box of rice a roni or those bags of lipton rice. Boil water, dump in the package and 10 minutes later you have spanish rice, no seasoning required. He can probably also handle buying a bag of small red potatoes and cutting them in half and then coat with some olive oil and some montreal steak seasoning and roast in the oven, he only has to turn them once. Or you can just send him to the frozen potato section and have him pick up tater tots or roasted potatoes in the bag, seasoned and ready to go in the oven.

Most of the people on this forum cringe at the prepackaged stuff but it is perfect for a situation like this. My supermarket also has a section in the meat dept of preseasoned uncooked meatballs, stuffed pork chops, pinwheel steaks, seasoned fish. Maybe your meat dept has some thing similar?

I hope you are up and about soon.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, joanm, I forgot. The last time I went to Whole Paycheck....um....Whole Foods, they had salmon patties ready to cook, with spinach and feta. They were good enough that Elery and I have takent he time to "re-create" them at home.

I also saw different types of stuffed and marinated chicken, some pre-made beef kabobs and lots of things in their deli section that would do in a pinch. Also, their own sushi guy...

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

I'd suggest you order the book (or check the library for a copy), "Clueless in the Kitchen" - A Cookbook for Teens - by Evelyn Raab. I used this book as a guideline for a class for men who were now needing to take over kitchen duties ) for whatever reason). Great information as well as easy-to-make recipes.

-Grainlady

• susytwo
    14 years ago

What I'm making tonight is one of my easiest meals.

-Assorted root vegetables, cut into 1" pieces (rutabaga, parsnips, beets, carrots, brussels sprouts)
    -Potatoes and sweet potatoes, cut into 2-3" pieces.
    -2 onions, quartered
    -4 cloves of garlic, smashed.
    -4 sausages, cut into 2" lengths
    -a few Tablespoons of Olive oil and some salt & pepper to taste

Toss everything in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet.
    Bake in a 400 oven, stirring mixture every 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through (about 40 minutes).

That's it.

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Clare, I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I was in a similar situation while recuperating from a crushed foot. My husband is a great breakfast cook. Period. End of kitchen expertise.

I didn't want pancakes or ham and eggs every night but I also didn't want him to have to learn to cook so I took a different approach. When friends and neighbors called or sent a card saying "Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.", I replied, "One night when you're making dinner, I'd appreciate it if you could make extra for us."

Also, our church and many others in the area have programs where members cook meals for people who are temporarily unable to cook for themselves or their families. I called around and signed up at two different churches so we'd have at least two homemade dinners each week. Some meals were just OK but others were excellent. (I later ended up joining one of the cooking groups and have been doing it for about twenty years.)

Trying to get your husband to cook homecooked meals that taste like yours could be frustrating for both of you. So rather than recipes, my suggestion would be to call in your favors for now and check other options in case the cooking becomes too much for him. Via telephone or internet, explore takeout from restaurants that aren't normally known for takeout. Are there any better grocery stores in your area like Wegmans that prepare both hot and cold foods to go? Are there any of those kitchen services available where he could go and prepare a few meals from pre-prepped ingredients to bring home?

Sending wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Oh Clare, poor you, here is wishing you a speedy recovery.

I could not imagine trying to get my DH to cook a scratch meal much less follow a recipe. It simply is not in his DNA. If your DH has not been much of a cook to date, I really don't think having him try to follow recipes will work too well.

My best advice is to spend some time making a few simple menus, meatloaf, pasta, stew, roast chicken, burritos...whatever you would normally eat for simple week day meals.

Make a grocery list from that and send him shopping...with cell phone in hand!

Each day decide what dinner will be based on the prepared menu and the groceries on hand. I know you can't stand but perhaps you could sit in the kitchen and "talk" him through some simple dishes. Could be fun!

Good luck

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

I hope that you get better soon, Clare! How difficult for both you and your husband.

You've gotten some really great recipes from everyone. I'd push that crockpot -- that may give you some great leftovers and he can buy presliced vegetables. Of course, the grocery shopping sometimes leaves my husband looking like a deer in the headlights:)

I make this, and it has a nice flavor. I leave out the green beans, use more coleslaw, use more than 6 oz of kielbassi, smoked sausage (whatever) and just cut it. I also use and cook frozen cheese tortellini instead of the fresh. In other words, it's pretty forgiving:)

Sausage and Tortellini Soup

6 oz fully cooked smoked turkey sausage halved
    lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    cut into rings)
    2 cups angel hair pre-shredded coleslaw mix
    1 cup loose-pack frozen cut green beans
    2 14-1/2 oz cans italian style stewed tomatoes (I
    use petite diced)
    1 10 1/2-oz can condensed french onion soup
    3 cups water

1 9-oz package refrigerated fresh cheese-filled
    tortellini

1. Put sausage, coleslaw mix, green beans, undrained tomatoes, soup and water in crockpot.
    2. Cover cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
    3. If using low-heat setting turn to high heat setting. Stir in tortellini. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer on high-heat. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.

Good luck with everything. It can be overwhelming being helped and being the helper. Get well soon!

Cathy in SWPA

• lowspark
    14 years ago

My DH is culinarily challenged, so I can relate! He can grill steaks and boneless chicken breasts and burgers (if they are preshaped). He can boil pasta but any sauces would have to come from a jar. He can also make rice-a-roni.

I think if I were in your situation, I'd have him grill a lot and make simple sides like frozen veggies. Throw a few chicken pieces in a pan, pour on a can o' beer, sprinkle with S&P and maybe some garlic powder. Yeah, he could handle that. Pick up a rotisserie chicken. Deli sandwiches - easy.

I know that anything that required cutting, chopping, peeling, mixing, stirring... well, it's probably just not going to happen. Anything more complicated than rice-a-roni is beyond his reach. But hey, rice-a-roni's not bad. Or those premixed noodle packets. Not as good as real cooking but for times like these, they're user friendly!

I wish you a speedy recovery!

• blueheron
    14 years ago

When I had my detached retina surgery, I couldn't do anything, either. I remember sitting in the kitchen holding the meat loaf recipe and talking DH through it.

He always knew how to cook ham steak and baked beans, so that was another meal.

I don't know if you have a Costco where you live, but they have roasted chickens for $4.99 and they are huge. We get at least 2 meals out of one chicken. All he would have to do is heat one up, put some potatoes in the oven to bake and either toss a salad or heat up a frozen vegetable. And he could make a soup with the leftover chicken and Swanson's broth.

Costco has a variety of cooked entrees and they are quite good, plus soups and salads. I know what you mean about frozen meals, I would also get tired of them. I like to cook and make most things from scratch.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. (And DH will really appreciate you after having to do the cooking..LOL).

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the recipes and suggestions. Keep them coming.

I don't know what it is about cooking but he has never shown any interest when I have tried to teach him in the past. He is smart enough, he is an EE engineer and use to design IC's. When he explained that, MY eyes would glaze over. He was laid off last Jan. so at least he is home to take care of me. A mixed blessing.

I guess I need more dinner suggestions, then recipes, for easy to cook meals. He likes really quick and easy stuff. And I don't hate all the Costco frozen meals but hate to eat it every night. Yes, I do love their chickens - great deal. And their made fresh daily pizzas. We are getting the Margarita pizza with fresh basil, tomato, and slabs of soft mozzarella on Friday. Yum!

Thanks again.
    Clare

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I don't have any ideas but just want to say how sorry I am you are going through this. I think my Dh is similar too and he is also an EE.
    I had some back problems (muscular) weeks ago and dh was doing everything for 2 days. On day two, I suggested for dinner some chicken (from the rotisserie one in the frig), a twice baked potato (homemade in the freezer) and some steamed spinach. He said " I'm not doing all that! We'll have salads."
    And here I thought I was suggesting the most simplistic of dinners - and something I do with my eyes closed, as there really was no cooking just heating up. But he thought all that was cooking and way too involved.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

Clare: So sorry to hear about your accident... BTDT. My DH is a good cook -- when he wants to be, So I was better fed then you. My best suggestions have already been covered by others, so.....
    I will just wish you a speedy, uneventful recovery.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery Clare! This one is pretty easy and a fave of mine for several years.

EASY BAKED CHICKEN (Mique)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast haves
    Kosher salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder
    4 tablespoons mayonnaise
    4 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan
    1 cup fresh coarse bread crumbs or Panko
    Chopped parsley

Season chicken lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Combine mayonnaise and cheese.
    Coat each breast with 2 tablespoons mixture, putting more on top. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and top with parsley. Bake at 400 until juice run clear (20 minutes).

Add some rice, baked or roasted potatoes, and a veggie...dinner is ready.

David

• bri29
    14 years ago

Clare~
    So sorry you're going through this, I hope you feel better soon! My husband is an EE as well, my eyes glaze over when he starts describing things like hardware language which is actually software but it simulates wires inside an IC *insert charlie brown teacher voice here*... I feel your pain! Of course, I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm sure I bore the heck out of him too! Can't believe we have so many EE DH's here...

Have you broached the subject of a stir fry? You can get those packages of pre-cut veggies in the produce department to minimize prep work. Plus I just saw steamed rice in a microwave bag at the store the other day and thought "how hard is it to make rice?!" but this could be perfect for you guys. Toss in some stir fry sauce and a couple chicken breasts and it can't be too much harder than grilling right?

Best of luck to you, feel better soon!
    Bri

• shaun
    14 years ago

Oh I'm sorry for what you are going through. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back on your feet in no time!

Now, if I were in your position, I'd be in deep doodie. My husband does not cook at all. Not a bit. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Hey if you like shrimp......
    Melt some butter in a baking dish. Lay raw peeled shrimp in the butter, sprinkle with fresh crushed garlic.Sprinkle w/ parm cheese and italian bread crumbs. Bake til shrimps are nice and pink. Not long!

Serve over pasta.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Clare:
    How about a little Reverse Psychology.
    Tell him
    " I don't think you can do the cooking for me, Too Hard ".
    Lou

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Wow, it's hard to think up 'easy' for a hubby, lol. Best wishes to you and your family as well. Good food always helps!

My first thought was Ina' Indonesian Chicken. Just buy the chicken parts, assemble and done - very few ingredients. You could use the rice that Bri mentioned.

There's always hot sandwiches. Like a muffaletta, for ex. Store bought meats - could be rotisserie chicken plus whatever. Cheese, jarred peppers, fresh tomatoes, onions, olives or store bought olive paste, etc. Wrap in foil and bake until cheese is melted. Serve with salad from a bag. YUM that's a favorite!

What about Quesadillas? You can put anything you like between two tortillas. Serve with store bought guac (I had some at work and it was actually pretty good - surprise!), salsa, and sour cream. Maybe another salad to make it healthy.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Clare, first off I want to say how sorry I am that you took such a nasty spill! Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

Lots of good ideas here for that culinary challenged man of yours.

**How about breakfast for dinner? Surely he could fry up some bacon or sausage and scramble a few eggs.

**Saute up some ground beef or Italian sausage, add a jar of good quality marinara, serve over angel hair pasta with a good, crusty bread....Voila! Dinner!

** Grilled Chicken Caesar's are always good. Grill up a couple of chicken breasts, serve on top of a bagged Caesar Salad. Easy Peasy.

**Let me second Ginger's Crockpot French Dips. They are as easy as it gets, and super good!

**Stir fry is always simple and you can add whatever you like. I usually do a combo of vegetables (Celery, onion, carrot, red peppers, brocolli, bean sprouts....etc.) some shrimp or cubed chicken, mybe some cashews, a bit of soy sauce and some bottled Oyster Flavored Sauce. Cook it up and serve over white rice...YUM!

**Quick vegetable soup would be easy. Beef broth, your choice of vegetables, I add a little V8 juice, possibly some noodles, maybe some browned beef cubes. You could do the same using chicken broth and leftover rotisserie chicken.

Hope the ideas posted in this thread inspire him. You don't have to be a gourmet or spend hours in the kitchen to put together a fine meal!

Linda

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Clare, I'm sorry for your situation. I would be freaking if DH was in charge of the kitchen and had cooking duties (we call him the house guest). He called me at work one day when he was trying to make a birthday meal for me (for the fun of it, that's what I ask for as my b-day present) and asked "how do you separate eggs?". He said he had tried using a spoon, his fingers, a fork, and he was running out of eggs.

Anyway, this recipe that was posted recently is very good and easy, I made it tonight. He could make it without the sauce if that would be a challenge.

Crusty Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine
    - serves 4 -
    Ingredients:
    4 chicken thighs, skin on
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup onion, diced
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    3 cups white mushrooms, washed and diced
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    1 tablespoon chives, chopped (optional for your DH)

Procedure
    1. Set the chicken thighs skin-side down on a cutting board. Cut a 1/2 inch thick slash on either side of the thigh bone. Season the thighs on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

2. Place the chicken thighs skin-side down on non-stick skillet. Only then turn the heat to high. When the chicken starts to sizzle, turn heat to medium and move the thighs around to make sure they aren't sticking to the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook for 16 to 18 minutes. Check the chicken occasionally to keep it from sticking. If the skin is browning too much after 10 minutes, then turn the heat to low. When done, transfer the thighs to a warm oven.

3. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the chicken fat in the skillet. Turn the heat to high and then add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the remaining salt and pepper. Then pour in the wine. Continue to cook for one minute over high heat until the sauce reduces.

4. Spoon some of the sauce onto a plate and top with one of the chicken thighs. Sprinkle on some chives and serve.

Get well!!!

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you're "down" for awhile. Hope you heal quickly, but let it heal!!!!

Do you have a crockpot? Makes for easy meals!

Beef roast, baby potatoes and carrots.
    Pork roast w/ BBQ sauce, Pulled pork sandwiches (purchased coleslaw or pickles or ???)
    Bean soups, as mentioned above.
    Chicken pieces with tomatoes, bell peppers and onions (serve over rice)
    Chicken with Cream of ____ Soup (I know, Gasp! But desperate times call for desperate measures! LOL) Serve over pasta
    Fish is easily baked in the oven. Open a can or bag of veggies and some artisan bread.
    Dare I mention tuna casserole? Cooked pasta, can(s) of tuna, and that darned ol' Cream of ____ Soup again!

Breakfast burritos (diced ham, grated cheese, scrambled eggs, fired or baked hashbrowns in tortillas).

Ummmmm.............PBJ's? Hey! Sometimes they just taste good!

Come back next week and we'll think of more things

Deanna

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

You and your DH have my wishes for a speedy recovery.

I don't know how to get someone to cook that doesn't want to - believe me, I've tried with my DIL, lol. As a non-cook she likes the Rachel Ray cookbooks, because she considers them easy and quick. I haven't looked at them, so I have no idea if they're any good, just that my non-cook DIL likes them.

Our local news did a story recently about a business here where busy people can go to their place and assemble meals to take home and cook. They have the recipes and suggested menus displayed, along with the ingredients all ready and prepped to go into the dish. I assume, but I don't know, that they have all the equipment, dishes, whatever that's needed, to put together a meal without having to think or even try hard. I think they will assemble them for you, and even deliver too if you wish. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the business. It's in Dallas. You may look into seeing if there's something like that in your area.

Sally

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sally, Ashley has one of the Rachel Ray books, both she and Amanda like her. None of us has ever made one of her recipes, though, because they just take so many ingredients.

Annie

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Clare, I think I sent wishes for a full and speedy recovery at the KT, but if not, I wish it again here!

1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1 can of water
    Bring to boil
    1 can of minute rice
    Cook until rice is done
    Add pieces of left over rotiserie chicken

Even our DH's can manage that one! Mine even said so!(Not that he'll do it, tho)

Add a salad from a bag and you're good to go.

Tami

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

Clare, I'm so sorry about your accident. I wish I was a bit closer - then I'd bring over a dinner.

Since your DH is an engineer, perhaps the cooking for engineers website would appeal to him. Each recipe is fully illustrated and then summarized in a little chart that an engineer may like better than a text recipe. I've put the link below.

There is also a book - "Cooking Without a Book" where each chapter presents a technique and a formula then has variations on that formula. The nine 30 minute chicken dinners that caliloo posted are a similar idea.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Clare:
    Did a quickie tonight.
    Opened a can of Delmonte's Vegetables and dumped it in a Saucepan to heat.
    Took a piece of Cooked Chicken Breast from the freezer,
    Micro Wave for 1 1/2 Minutes.
    Cut it to bite size pieces.

Put this in with the Vegetables , added some Chicken stock.
    added some Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Old Bay.
    Thickened with Instant Potatoes.

I took longer to type this.

Yesterday. I made an Omelet with Home fries and Sausage.
    While I had Sausage cut up and simmering in the Griddle,

I Nuked a couple of Red Potatoes 2 minutes, peeled them and cutup for Home fries.
    Put them in a Griddle with Butter, to brown. Add Garlic Powder and Old Spice.

Drain the fat off the Sausage and put the home fries in.
    Beat 3 eggs and add to this.
    Cook as you like them.
    You probably did this many times.
    Lou

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Oh Clare, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Whatever you do try to follow orders and stay off your feet.

As I recall your husband isn't into a lot of different things either. Oh boy. Well one of the very easiest recipes/dishes we cook is pork chops with rice. Put some sliced onions in the bottom of a baking pan [9x13]. If you like mushrooms also add some of them. Sprinkle a couple cups of rice over top. Lay pork chops on top. Pour two cans of chicken broth over top. Liquid should be about up to level of chops. If not you can add a bit of water. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for one hour. Good, easy and really the amounts can vary. If you add too much broth the rice might get a bit soggy but it still tastes good.

Another good easy one is take a small whole chicken and shove it in the crockpot 'face' down. Pour a jar of spaghetti sauce on it and let it cook on low for 6 or 8 hours. Serve over choice of pasta. Remind him to make the pasta water taste like the ocean so it has enough salt/flavor and also cook it for the minimum time they suggest or a minute or two less since it will take him several minutes to get it to the sink.. drained,,,etc. Smiles. Also if he hasn't cooked pasta before... probable.. just tell him to make sure he stirs it 3 or 4 times in the first two minutes then it won't get stuck together.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy safe recovery. Sending healing thoughts.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

OMG Clare! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from me too.

Here are a few more suggestions:

COCA COLA PORK CHOPS

8 pork chops (*)
    salt and pepper - to taste
    1-1/2 cups ketchup
    1-1/2 cups coca cola (I use Dr. Pepper)
    1/4 cup brown sugar - or to taste

Place pork chops in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ketchup and the coca cola together and pour over the pork chops. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
    Bake, uncovered, in a 180° C. (350° F.) oven for 1 hour or until the pork chops are tender. Turn meat half way through the cooking time.

(*) Chicken fillets can be substituted in place of the chops, I find 45 minutes is quite long enough if using chicken.

And how could we all forget the ever popular:

NO PEEK STEW

2 lbs. stew meat
    1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
    1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 (2.5 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 cup ginger ale

Throw all ingredients into a pot with a tight-fitting lid and bake at 350° F. for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. DO NOT PEEK! Yield: 6 servings.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I can truly sympathize. My ex did not cook, ever. When I was unable to stand or walk for several months, he HAD to feed us all, including our then very young children. The meals themselves were utterly forgettable concoctions of frozen or canned foods and bread and butter. We were all so grateful when I could cook again.

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry about your accident Clare! Please get well soon and know that we would all come over and take care of you if we could!

I know this isn't homemade, but Stouffer's makes quite a few main course "family size" meals that you just pop in the oven and bake. They (IMO) are pretty tasty on average and perfect for emergency cooking situations like this. I really like their macaroni and cheese. Usually, one of their big pans, or family size packages can give you a lot of leftovers too.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Put some ham or turkey into a grilled cheese sandwich. Hamburger (or ground pork or sausage or a mixture) makes chili, sloppy joes, spaghetti, tater tot hotdish, tacos and a myriad of other things. Pork chops in cream soup/milk mixture makes its own gravy. Submarine sandwiches. Meatball subs using frozen meatballs & canned marinars sauce, topped with cheese, onion, green pepper or whatever you like. A plain old sandwich with good deli meats and cheeses on a good bread or bun is a treat. Canned and frozen veggies are a good assistant. How about a veggie tray? Chef's salad? Nachos can be hearty if you top it with some cut up cooked turkey, chicken, hamburger or what-have-you. Making lasagna isn't difficult. The pasta package has a good basic recipe and just add what your like. For that matter making a meatloaf isn't complicated. A good quality sausage and some rice or sauerkraut if you like it is easy. Decent hot dogs decked out how you like them. The whole point is you're not going to have YOUR cooking. Hopefully you'll enjoy a change of menu during your recuperation.

BTW, putting a turkey in the roaster, or a ham or even a pot roast doesn't have to be that difficult or complicated. Bake some potatoes, salad or frozen/canned veg can be a source of pride for an accomplishment.

Do you have any community cookbooks? Church, community or school fundraiser types? They usually have a lot of simple, homestyle recipes and give good detail if needed.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are a lot of good suggestions and recipes here. I am going to print them out and keep them, not just for now but for future when too busy or tired to cook.

Thanks everyone for sharing. We are having one of DH's favorite and easiest dinners tonight - sausages cooked in sauerkraut with potatoes and veggies on the side.

I sure do miss cooking though! LOL
    Clare

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Clare,
    Poor you! Hope you are obeying your doctor and taking it easy. Here is an easy dish, but you have to be able to purchase frozen breaded eggplant.

Eggplant Parmesan

Spread a thin layer of good quality tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking pan. Layer frozen breaded eggplant slices (available at BJs and probably lots of other places) on top of sauce. Sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat once or twice more. Bake at 350 for 30 min. or so.

so easy and freezes perfectly.

Jo

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks, Annie, I didn't know that about Ray's cookbooks. Lots of ingredients could be quite off putting for a non cook, I would think.

Clare, I did a search yesterday, and found this website for what I think I saw the story on our local newscast. It's called Dream Dinners. There may be other similar businesses. I don't know if there's a location near you, but it has a store locator on the website. I also didn't look into cost, which I'd imagine might be on the high side, but who knows - they claim to be big on family, so hopefully they have reasonable prices.

I hope you're on the mend. That dinner you had last night sounds like something my DH would love - me too if I wasn't vegetarian.

Sally

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES