Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another EVOO Bread Dip Besides Italian

Posted by nancedar (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 10:04

I make a tangy Italian dry mix with olive oil to use for dipping bread in as an appetizer. I am looking for some other mixed dried herbs to use that aren't Italian. I did try garlic and sweet pepper with a little black pepper and onion but not too thrilled with it.

Here's my Italian dried herb mixture - straight from the web with a couple of small tweaks: 1 Tablspoon dried each oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary powder (or finely chopped leaves), garlic powder, parsley, and 1 teaspoon dried each hot pepper flakes, onion powder, black ground pepper. Mix 2 tablespoons with 1 teaspoon of water with a drop of lemon juice and let sit for @5 minutes. Put in flat dish and add 1/4 cup good olive oil (or more) and do a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese over the top.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another EVOO Bread Dip Besides Italian

Well.....you could use some ground dill seed, some dill weed and dried grated lemon rind and black pepper.....or add some 5 spice powder and a little wasabi and call it Chinese...
Not sure what makes the mix you use "Italian"?....except for the fact that the dipping of bread into seasoned olive oil seemed to originate in Italian restaurants.

o

Well, along the same lines of thinking as Linda...For Mexican, tortilla chips and salsa is another similar tradition.

/tricia

o

I like to use fresh chopped garlic, coarse salt and chopped sundried tomatoes.

o

olychick, if you added chopped olives, finely minced rosemary, and a squeeze of lemon it could be Greek???

/tricia

o

We don't usually bother with seasoning the oil, but like some balsamic vinegar in the bottom of the dipping bowl. I prefer the vinegar to the oil :-) You could also dip into plain oil, then into dukkah for a different flavour.

o

Look up chimichurri recipes, and you'll find some that use cilantro as a main ingredient, but there are lots of variations on this recipe, and I always put red chili flakes in it but no black pepper.

I also like Linda's idea of fresh dill weed, lemon, and black pepper, but I also add a bit of garlic to it. You could dilute some olive tapenade with olive oil, but that would be using olives twice. You could dilute some Thai chili paste for a Thai flavor, or just make your own with lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies, etc.

Lars

o

What about a homemade/Middle Eastern za'atar blend:

from mideastfood.about.com

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt

Preparation:
Grind the sesame seeds in food processor or with mortar and pestle. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Store za'atar in a cool, dark place in a plastic zip bag or in an airtight container. When stored properly, za'atar can be used from 3-6 months.

or Herbs de Provence from food.com

3 tablespoons oregano leaves
3 tablespoons thyme leaves
1 teaspoon basil leaves
1 teaspoon sage leaf
3 tablespoons savory
2 tablespoons lavender flowers
1 teaspoon rosemary

Combine all, mix well.

o

There is a restaurant just across the border in Wisconsin that serves a killer EVOO bread dipper. It is tart cherry and garlic, sounds odd, I know but it is to die for!

I have used cherry extract, tart cherry juice...trying to replicate it and have not been able to even come close.
If anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them!

Linda

o

Linda - how about dried tart cherries? I have a package of tart Montmorency cherries from Costco. I will chop some and add them to some olive oil.

I will let you know how they turn out. Was the oil at the restaurant a red tint?

Teresa

o

Linda - try tart cherry jelly and fresh garlic, a little salt and some lemon juice.

I'm liking the za'atar but where to find sumac?

Nancy

o

Nancy - sumac is found in Middle Eastern grocery stores here in Minneapolis. I can't stand the smell - I think it's one of those things that you love or you hate.

o

I keep Za'Atar on hand and use it frequently, especially for seasoning chicken. Teresa's recipe is a good one. I find that Sumac has a lemony flavor, and all the Persian restaurants here keep it on the table for you to season your Basmatic rice. I buy Sumac at an Indian market because it is cheaper there than at the Middle Eastern markets.

Lars

o

We love a mound of freshly grated Parmesan and a circle of freshly ground -large- pepper. Of course you must use a very good quality Olive oil.
I need to try out some of the other suggestions - yum! Thanks!

o

The cherry in the oil was liquid and stayed seaprated from the oil unless you whisked it very well to emulsify.

It was tasty and also pretty with the greenish oil with a ribbon of red cherry "juice".

I asked the server how it was made but she had no clue. I suppose I could call and ask the manager or kitchen staff....

Linda

o

Sumac is available via Penzeys and probably The Spice House.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here