SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Which vanilla

gwlolo
10 years ago

Do you have a favorite vanilla extract? I am wondering if it matters as long as it is real vanilla and not imitation. But the prices seem to really vary and I wonder if that is a reflection of the inherent quality.

Comments (26)

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

I like Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla. It looks pricey, but it actually turns out to be cheaper per ounce than McCormick!
    I don't like the flavor of Penzey's double-strength. But many do.

This post was edited by cloudy_christine on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 9:12

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

I haven't bought any in years-I make my own. Perhaps it isn't as good as a high-end commercial product but it works for me so I don't challenge it.

• Related Discussions

Have vanilla planifolia - vanilla orchid

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi would you be interested in a tri color carnosa hoya cutting? I also have a couple of red plum adenium seeds that make wonderful container plants. Please let me know if you want to trade. thanks alot whisst
    ...See More

Infusing vanilla bean in non-custard vanilla ice cream

Q

Comments (16)
    I can tell you from experience. Unfortunately, I made custard based "vanilla" the other night. I even put the bean in with the seeds while heating it. And never remembered to put in the vanilla extract. It was really good frozen custard, but it had very very little vanilla flavor. Or course, it could be that I just like it to have a much more pronounced vanilla flavor, so I'll stick with my "both" recipe.
    ...See More

Vanilla strawberry VS Quick fire

Q

Comments (18)
    Yup, I currently have a hedge of LL that I LOVE! I just got me some QFs too, but recently found some VS at my local place and I was wondering how they go compared to QFs, I do have to say that I prefer the darker green leaves of QFs
    ...See More

Powdered vanilla?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have vanilla bean paste, I "save" it for applications where the vanilla flavor is most noticeable, and use extract for things like chocolate cake or dishes where the vanilla is secondary to other flavors. I also don't mind the flecks, I last used some in pear/vanilla jam and the flecks add a nice contrast to the light colored fruit. I've never used vanilla powder, and clear vanilla extract is available here at both WalMart and Meijer in the baking departments, but it's always the Wilton brand and always "imitation", no real stuff that I've seen. Celery root or celeriac is very common here, my small town local Meijer always has it. Right now it's $2.98 a "bunch", which is actually two small roots, about the size of a tennis ball, so I think that's kind of pricey. I use it with mashed potatoes, half and half, it adds a nice mildly celery-like flavor. I grew some this year too, they didn't get too big but the roots were big enough to roast and the tops I dehydrated to add to soups this winter. Annie
    ...See More
  • bulldinkie
    10 years ago

Me too,I made all the daughternlaws and my daughter a bottle for Christmas last year.I bought pretty bottles filled them,put a bow on them ,nice.
    I bought fresh vanilla beans, filled with vodka ,shake every few days ,I made them oct left them cure some gave them the gifts For Christmas,most trouble I had was finding vanilla beans.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I've been using Sonoma Syrup for years, which I usually find at TJMaxx or such, generally around the holidays.

• blubird
    10 years ago

Not to hijack but to question further - which favorite brands don't have added sugar? McCormick's and Costco both have added sugar.

Helene

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Neighbor gave me Mexican vanilla and it's delish...don't know where she got it though.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have looked on line for recipes to make your own vanilla. Some are pretty vague. I would like to make bottles for gifts. Those who make your own, will you share your recipe and tips?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Annie, I no longer use Mexican vanilla (since the 1970's) because, even tho I love the taste, I absolutely do not trust their gov't inspections or standards (ours are bad enough) and it's not worth the risk to me. Everything says read the label, but there is no truth in labeling if a crook wants to make money off vanilla.

Here is a link that might be useful: safety of Mexican vanilla

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Cook's Illustrated again taste tested imitation vanilla v. pure vanilla extract. In cooked goods, they found no appreciable difference between the two. Uncooked yes, pure had many nuanced flavors while the fake just tasted of vanillin. This result was against their expectations.

In one google hit, perhaps Serious Eats, these results were again tested by various foodie groups, who couldn't believe these results. Yup, confirmed.

CVS house brand 'fake' at 99 cents did very well so yesterday, I bought me some! And I learned that lots of pastry chefs were buying fakes. Kind of a hoot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Thanks olychick...I hadn't heard that...I checked it and this brand appears to be ok.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

I always get a kick out of the Cook's Illustrated Test Kitchen when they come up with imitation vanilla as the favorite in tests!

If you make your own vanilla, here's a good tip....

Leave the beans long enough, or use a bottle that is close to the same size as the beans, in order to retrieve them from the bottle. Score the beans with a paring knife before adding to the alcohol-of-choice and then sit in a dark cabinet to do it's "magic". When you need a big "shot" of vanilla flavoring, especially when it's a stand-alone flavor (such as vanilla ice cream), "milk" the thick, dark vanilla from the bean.

How to: While holding the tip of the bean in one hand, squeeze the bean at the top with your thumb and index finger and pull (milk) the liquid out of the bean from the top to the bottom. You can do this a few times with each bean for extra dark, extra yummy, vanilla. I've made homemade vanilla in Cherry Vodka (great in anything chocolate for a surprise flavor), spiced rum, and other flavored alcohols. It's FUN!

I keep a number of varieties around including powdered vanilla, which works great for homemade mixes-in-a-jar, homemade beverage mixtures, homemade pudding mix.... (Only 1 oz. of Pure Vanilla Powder can replace 10 whole Madagascar Vanilla Beans or 20 teaspoons of Pure Vanilla Extract.) Vanilla flavor without the alcohol, and it can be added to anything you add vanilla extract to.

Another favorite is Nielsen-Massy Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. Reminds me of the stuff I "milk" from vanilla beans. It contains sugar, but has it's place in the line-up. One tablespoon of vanilla paste = 1 T. vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean.

Try them all and find your own favorite.... ;-)

-Grainlady

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Grainlady, how many beans to how much alcohol? I was thinking of making 4 oz bottles for gifts.

I have one recipe (attached) that calls for 10 beans and 1 1/2 cups alcohol. I can follow that but how does that translate to smaller bottles? Should I make it is the 24oz jar it calls for and then transfer to smaller bottles right before give at Christmas?

I appreciate any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: making vanilla

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

debrak2008-

It depends on the beans - how fragrant they are, length, and how soft and fresh OR dry and brittle they are, and even the variety of the beans, as well as which grade they are. There isn't a "perfect" recipe, and you'll find any number of methods on-line, different resting times, as well as a lot of differences in the ratio of ingredients, etc. You really can't go wrong. Find a recipe and method you like and enjoy! The first time I made it I didn't have enough beans for the amount of alcohol after following a recipe I found on-line. Be sure to shake the bottle each day while it's developing the flavor.

I stick the vanilla beans in the "hooch" bottle. I cut some into 2-inch lengths to increase the intensity and to make it quicker, and leave some full-length. When it's a strength I like I transfer the liquid to something fancy if giving it as a gift, leaving a couple full-length beans in the container for looks as well as use. If I'm using it myself, I just leave it in the vodka bottle.

I score all the beans through the first layer of the "skin" from the top to the bottom with the point of a paring knife to open the bean slightly, exposing all the lovely goodies inside. In the recipe at the link they don't do that, and that may be why I thought they used a LOT of beans compared to what I typically use. But different strokes for different folks..... It all works.

I once ordered Tahitian vanilla beans (Mr. Bean on eBay) that were 8-9 inches long, and so plump and fragrant they only needed 3 or 4 per 8-oz. The next time I got Madagascar beans that weren't as good and took more beans.

If all you have are those 3-inch dehydrated beans they sell for a small fortune in tiny glass tubes, don't bother trying to get any kind of intense flavor from them. They are not worth the ingredients and effort and I'd never purchase them.

If you purchase a pound or more of vanilla beans, store any unused beans in the freezer so they don't dehydrate sitting in your cabinet. Vacuum-seal them if you have a FoodSaver, or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a bag or container. You don't want them to dehydrate in the freezer by placing them in a plastic bag with a lot of air in it. If you don't wrap them tightly, the moisture will migrate from the inside of the bean to the bag in the form of frost - just like a loaf of bread in the freezer.

Have fun making vanilla!

-Grainlady

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Sounds like I should practice first before giving as gifts.. Thank you for the info.

• triciae
    10 years ago

Debrak,

There's really no need to practice first. It's really easy. Just use a paring knife tip and slice open the vanilla bean lengthwise...like opening up a banana. Drop the vanilla beans in the booze (I use vodka) and put in a dark cabinet or closet. Check it once/week. Shake it up and return to the cabinet. If it isn't getting nicely dark by Week 2-3 - add a couple more beans (how many beans will vary batch to batch). I leave my vanilla about 6 weeks to mature before using and/or gift packaging. I always put a fresh bean in any bottle I'm giving as a gift when packaging. Really easy, really good.

/tricia

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

This is a helpful thread! Thank you all!

Regarding vodka, as a non drinker( except wine) and unfamiliar, what brand should I use?
    Grey Goose is almost always the preferred vodka for recipes it seems, but it is so expensive.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

I always get the least expensive bottle of 35%+ alcohol vodka for making vanilla. I use the same inexpensive vodka to make homemade stevia extract from stevia plants I grow. The vodka is the source for a flavorless alcohol.

-Grainlady

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

BB - Many vodkas (including GG, but the worst by a long shot are Absolut and Skyy) make me gag, but one I've found to be very neutral tasting is Svedka. It's also cheap.

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

I'm a big fan of Nielsen-Massey's Vanilla Bean Paste. And use it for most of my baking.

I've also tried Nielsen-Massey's powdered vanilla. And while their powdered vanilla is good for some things, like buttercream (because it's void of 'color,' so it keeps buttercream fairly white. [Something cake decorators prefer, as it is easier to tint]), the powdered vanilla lacks character and it's just plain weak.

The vanilla paste however, is dark and delicious, packed with vanilla bean seeds throughout. I use it in desserts where I don't mind the seeds taking the spotlight. Unfortunately, it's the only reason I won't add it to buttercream used for decorating.

I also make my own vanilla extract, with plump, Tahitian vanilla beans, which I steep for several months before using. Very fragrant and flavorful.

Sol

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

A clerk at Williams Sonoma told me not to use Tahitian vanilla in anything cooked or baked, only Madagascar. Is this true?????

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Check out this link about vanilla.

Here is a link that might be useful: vanilla

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ordered Nielsen Massey on Amazon. I have some vanilla beans and am planning to try my hand at soaking in vodka. Would be fun to see what works. The vanilla bean paste sounds nice but I am not sure I like the look of the specks in some things.

Any feedback on the costco pure vanilla extract.

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

I forgot to add, you could also finely grind a dry vanilla bean for a one/two punch of flavor.

And if you still have any beans leftover from a baking project, don't discard the vanilla bean. Instead, rinse the bean thoroughly, and allow it to air-dry. Then, immerse the dried bean in granulated sugar to make vanilla sugar.

Sol

• triciae
    10 years ago

I love the vanilla bean paste in custards and bread puddings.

/t

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

As I mentioned, I make my own (with vodka). However, someone gave me a large bottle of vanilla extract. My last batch I used that instead of vodka and I have vanilla on steroids. Actually it turned out pretty good so I'm thinking of buying Costco or the high-end brands I see at HomeGoods for future homemade vanilla. I figure it's cheaper than vodka. Anyone see a problem with this?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Thanks Foas!