SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Differences in baking powder

sally2_gw
9 years ago

Recently I sent Jerry to the store to buy baking powder, and forgot to tell him to get the kind without aluminum. Of course, he bought Clabber Girl, and I didn't say a thing to him, since he was so kind to do the errand.

I got to wondering about what the difference is between baking powder with aluminum and without aluminum. What purpose does the aluminum serve in baking powder? I googled it, and found that one form causes more of a reaction as soon as the powder gets wet, (Rumford, without aluminum) and the other causes more of a reaction upon being heated (Clabber Girl, with aluminum).

Here's what Clabber Girl's website says.

"Q. What is the difference between Baking Powders?
A. Baking Powders differ in their reaction to moisture and heat depending on their formulation. Rumford Baking Powder's reaction is approximately 70% with moisture (or in the bowl) and the rest when heat is applied. Clabber Girl's reaction is approximately 40% with moisture and the rest when heat is applied. Some people prefer the Rumford brand because it does not contain the acid ingredient sodium aluminum sulfate."

My question then, with the possible health issues of aluminum aside, is there an advantage to one or the other? Are there recipes that benefit from an earlier reaction and some that benefit from the delayed reaction?

Sally

Comments (4)