SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Pressure cooker questions (incl. measurement)

northcarolina
10 years ago

Would anyone be so kind as to measure the bottom disc of your pressure cooker and tell me if it's 9" diameter or greater? (I can tell you already that the Fagor Duo and Kuhn Rikons I've found in stores have discs that are less than 9".) I need a new one and I would like to be able to use it on the largest hob of my induction stove, which requires a 9" minimum base diameter. It's true that anything smaller won't work on that hob, I've tried. Looking online it seems that the Fagor Chef and the Fissler Vitaquick have wider bases than others, but I can't find the actual diameter of their bottom discs anywhere. (I emailed Fagor but what they told me was overall pot diameter, not the base plate diameter.)

I really appreciate it. I need to get back into pressure cooking. I am pretty sure I want an 8 qt cooker, if that matters for the measuring. Two questions for more experienced people though: can I cook small amounts in an 8 qt cooker, or will it take forever to build pressure? And do you have any favorite pressure cooker meal ideas? I used my old one almost exclusively for soups but could stand to branch out a bit. (We are a family of 4 with young kids.)

Thanks!

Comments (22)