Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello! New poster here...

Posted by whgille (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 8:59

I had the chance to see Dcarch post on the tomato forum and I was so impressed of him and all the talented cooks in this forum!

I want to introduce myself, I love to garden, cook from the harvest and of course good food is on top of my list! I live in Florida and post often there in the forum.

At my house we host parties very often, twice a year for the gardening friends. They bring food to share and plants to swap. It is a very happy time for us all.

Here are some images from the party that we just had last Saturday. The plants and the dishes were amazing!

The tasting table

Photobucket

Florida cranberry tea

Photobucket

The dessert table

Photobucket

Some of the dishes

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made a bean salad with tomatoes and herbs from the garden

Photobucket

The plant swap

Photobucket

My garden (very small)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next day on Sunday we had an Italian party where a guest showed us how to make homemade semolina pasta, she made a simple sauce with zucchini from the garden and Parmigiano Reggiano...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looking forward to post here in the future and share my love of good food with you very amazing cooks! and hope to learn from you.

Hi Dcarch! ( I am one of your fans!)

Silvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello! New poster here...

Welcome, Silvia! Your plant party looks amazing and how great you have folks participating that actually cook! We look forward to more parties, food, and recipes from you.

Teresa

o

Whgille, Welcome to the CF. That is some great looking party food.

Ann

o

Another Floridian welcoming you to our wonderful Cooking Forum.

Wow, I didn't think there were any other iVillage forums that could equal our get togethers. There are great cooks (me excluded) on this forum who freely share their skills and ideas. We look forward to your contributions.

*Another DCarch fan.

o

Wow! I'm impressed with everything. Welcome to the forum, Silvia. I love your photos. Those are cute little label thingies for the food dishes. Are they dry erase?

Sally

o

Welcome from me too!

What a great idea for a party, food from the garden!

Sharon

o

Hi Silvia! Welcome! Looking good. Way to jump in with both feet.

(wow, dcarch, a fan. Good for you too!)

o

Hi Sylvia! Welcome to the forum. Your party dishes look very inviting.

o

Welcome Silvia!

Wow, I love the idea of combining your love of cooking and gardening with parties! Everything looks fantastic! I'm another who loves to garden and cook. Wish we had neighbors like yours.

Hope to see you often here.

/tricia

o

Hi, Sylvia! Thanks for sharing your wonderful party with us....looks like you have a fun group!
Now we just need to know more about that amazing looking bean salad.......
Linda c

o

Welcome to the CF Silvia. Totally awesome that you have a party to celebrate food from your gardens! Love the pictures too. Maybe you can pass along some of those recipes. NancyLouise

o

Wow!

Welcome to the cooking forum, Sylvia!

Eileen

o

Nice to see you, Silvia, and thanks for posting such wonderful pictures! That sounds like a great party idea, and the food looks great.

What herbs did you put in your bean salad? It also looks like you added snow peas to the beans. I've been craving green bean salad lately.

Lars

o

Welcome Sylvia! Another gardener here who is also a Dcarch fan.

Looks like a fun time!

Teresa from Minnesota

o

Hello and welcome. I am always so impressed by people like you who grow their own food and cook it, too.

Your photos are Facebook-worthy.

o

Hi Sylvia,

I am a fairly new contributor to this forum myself, and am glad to see other new folks posting. Your pics are inviting, and I love the idea of the garden swap party. I'll be borrowing your idea when the next garden season rolls around. Welcome!

o

Welcome Sylvia,

What a wonderful looking party. I love gardening also. To share home grown produce with a party is my idea of fun.

This is a really friendly forum filled with people who love to share their love of cooking. I only wish I was half as talented as the rest! But I'm learning! And yes, Darch is really talented with his cooking and photography!

Karen

o

Welcome Silvia! I don't post much, but am a frequent lurker. I see you are in Orange County - my sister lives in Oviedo. Perhaps when I come down to visit my Mom, who is in a nursing facility in Winter Park, we could meet! I am in Panama City.

o

Hi Silvia, I also want to welcome you to the Cooking Forum. You did a great job of introducing yourself.
There are many wonderful cooks that post here and we are always glad to have another.

Nancy

o

Thank you all for the warm welcome! this forum rocks! it is so alive!

Teresa - Thank you and yes it is great to find people with same interests like cooking and gardening. I will be posting anything interesting, you bet!

Ann - Thank you and I agree the food was amazing! and for different tastes too.

Mustangs - Nice to know there are other people from Florida here. Our get togethers are a lot of fun!

Sally - Thank you, those labels are life savers because when the people know what is on the dishes they can choose to eat or not, they erase easy, don't use water. We had vegans, or don't eat pork or spicy food, etc,etc.

Sharon - Most of the food that I prepared was from the garden
Banana bread from my own bananas
Zucchini bread
Pumpkin bread
Papaya salad from my own in the garden
Sausage and chicken chili
Pickles and jams are from veggies and garden fruits: cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, banana jam, and different fig jams.

Rob - Thank you. I love pictures and garden and food related ones are the best!

Cloudy Christine - Thank you, the dishes and the party were fantastic!

Tricia - Thank you and we have a lot in common, that is great, I always invite my neighbors.:)

Linda c - I try to make most of the dishes before the party, for the green bean salad I precook the beans and made the vinaigrette. The same day I chopped the tomatoes and added herbs to the dressing. I used different herbs, depending on what I have available.

Mustard-herb vinaigrette
Whisk together 3 Tbsp of white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp each grainy mustard and water
1/2 tsp each minced garlic, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add 5 Tbsp of olive oil until emulsified
Add herbs of choice. I added basil mint, zaatar and parsley.

Nancy Louise - Thank you and yes I love to share my recipes! But my guests some do and some don't. For example Doug makes the best quiches! and he is so nice and always share recipes. Another guest was a French chef and made an amazing soup with calabaza and acorn squash with ham and he said the recipe is in his head, lol.
One of my neighbors made cheesecake brownies and everyone was raving about them! secret recipe.:)

Eileen - Thank you for the warm welcome!

Lars - Thank you, the bean salad had different beans, I will be planting peas soon. Love salad and vegetables!

Teresa - Thank you. It looks like Dcarch has a lot of fans.:) I think he is super smart and creative.

Deadtired - Thank you. I like to post in the forums, it is so much fun!

Mabel - I make the garden parties in the morning and with a program of activities and times, very orderly and everyone is happy!

Karen - Thank you. Nothing tastes as good as homemade and even better homegrown.

Pat - I live near Orlando, when you planning to come to my area just send me an email, we will arrange...

Nancy - Thank you and I am looking forward to exchange ideas and recipes with the wonderful people in this forum.

Here is more from the party, I hope that you like the pictures, forgive me if I missed anyone posting, it is a long post...

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: garden party

o

You GREW your own bananas for 'nanna bread?!

Okay, that's just not fair. (grin)

/tricia

o

Tricia, I have different type of bananas, they are dessert kind and taste different than the store, and I made a banana party, lol

One banana bunch

Photobucket

And the party

Photobucket

bananas Foster

Photobucket

One of the different banana breads that I made and froze for this October party

Photobucket

Banana jam

Photobucket

And I have 2 more banana bunches ripening and one that flower after the party.:)

The funny thing is that some guests asked me for the recipe for the banana bread, and I said which one because I made 4 and I don't know which one they ate,lol.

Silvia

o

Hello Silvia! Welcome to the Cooking Forum!

What an impressive garden, and the greenhouse!. Fantastic cooking and party. I think I am a fan of yours. :-)

You will soon discover your esteem for me will be short-lived, because you will find there are many others here who are more talented than I am.

And thank you all. Today I had an exceedingly stressful day at work. You have made me feel wonderful with your kind words.

dcarch

o

Wow, you sure know how to throw a party!!!
Your pictures are phenomenal too. Welcome to the Cooking Forum. I know you'll have a great time here.

o

Silvia, welcome to the Cooking Forum. I really like the idea of combining the gardening and a party.

I grow a lot of my own food for cooking too, but I think you outdid me with growing the bananas, LOL. Definitely not something that would grow here in Michigan!

annie

o

Hi Dcarch - Thank you, thank you. Coming from the Master, I am more than flatter!
And I know that this forum is full of talented people and so welcoming, I just love it!
Sorry about your stressful day at work but today is a new day and I wish yours is a great one!
Looking forward to learn from you and all the other talented posters in this forum!

Jasdip - Thank you. We love parties and are very experienced,lol. Each time, something is different and learn from what went wrong or right.:)

Annie 1992 - Thank you Annie, you are so sweet and a legend! Anybody who post in the forums, knows about your salsa. I am so honored to talk to you!
And I am not really a native Floridian, I have lived in a lot of places, including the cold ones,lol. Snow is very pretty on the Holidays.:)

Silvia

o
RE: Hello! New poster here...+

It is me again...I forgot to make a clarification on the link that I posted, it is a preview from a local photographer that took the pictures of the party. I don't have any association with her/or I make any financial gains from her work. Because her photos take weeks to complete, I just asked for a preview. Just in case, for a photo it would be a very far ride to Minnesota?lol

Silvia

o

Do you put your bananas in the greenhouse for the winter? I'm just wondering what you use a greenhouse for in a state that's basically a greenhouse itself. Are you where it gets chilly in the winter?

I'm so impressed. I'm not a banana fan, but I am a fan of growing what you use, and especially using what you grow. Great job.

Sally

o

Hi Sally

The bananas are in the ground, that would be so much work to move them! and not worth either. We do get some chilly and frosty nights here where we can loose the tender tropicals if not protected. Bananas always come back from the roots, the foliage looks bad but they survive. Last winter there was the exception and very mild one, I had bananas fruiting at all months, I have 3 bunches now and I just harvested 2 more bunches last month. It is not like that every year.

The greenhouse in the winter protects my star fruit, sweet tamarind, red guava, red sugar apple, caimito. And I also grow few tomatoes. This greenhouse growing is not long either and have to put shade cloth and a fan, the chilly nights get a heather. Daytime always leave the door open and also has windows. I bet that you guys that live in the colder states would get much more use than me,lol

I also have in the ground avocados, atemoya, lychees, jaboticaba and various citrus, when young they have to be protected on chilly nights, now they are too big for me to cover. Their root system can take the cold and I do cover the roots with blankets.

Here is the picture of the greenhouse in December, can you tell I am not an experienced photographer? lol. But I try, and I love taking pictures with my cheap camera.:)

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Wow, Silvia, that's a LOT of bananas. Elery says he has about 3 little monkeys he'll send your way, LOL. Bud would think he went to heaven with bananas in the backyard, he loves the darned things and would eat a couple a day if we bought that many!

Banana jam, now that's something I haven't canned yet, maybe he'd like that. Thanks for the idea!

Annie

o

Yes Annie, that is a ton of bananas! that is why I had the banana party and sent the guests with a bunch of them as a party favors!
I wish you and Elery were my neighbors, I would drop another bunch to you...
My neighbor that came to the party said that she does not like bananas so she didn't try any of the breads that I made, she asked me for the recipe for her husband and I don't know which one was the one he tried. I gave her another banana bread from the freezer and I told her, it is not the recipe, it is the bananas, they do taste very different than the store.
My very favorite is the red banana from Jamaica but too bad it is not too productive.
I made the banana with orange juice and vanilla from Mes Confitures, every one was raving about the taste.
Most people liked the papaya/pineapple/orange salad that I made and put in jars in the refrigerator.
Tell Elery to send me the monkeys, I am going to need them.:)

Silvia

o

Your pictures look fine to me, and so I would not have guessed that you were an inexperienced photographer.

I have several banana trees myself, but the first ones I got turned out not to be the fruiting kind - in fact they still have not bloomed even though they are quite tall by now. This spring I bought an ice cream banana tree and should get bananas from that in the next year or two. Bananas are one of the easiest things to grow in the soil that I have. I also have an avocado, and it does not like my soil so much - it is next to the new banana tree. Fortunately I do not need a greenhouse for the fruit trees that I grow (mostly citrus, but also a cherimoya, papaya, white sapote, etc), but I did build some covered shelves to store orchids that are out of bloom. Have you thought of putting orchids in your greenhouse? My main problem with them is protecting them from too much sun, which is why I built the covered shelves.

Tamarind trees get pretty huge, don't they? I started one from a seed, but it only grew for three or four years. I have a pineapple bromeliad that should make a pineapple eventually, but watching it bloom will be enough of a reward for growing it.

Lars

o

Thank you Lars, I am really not technology savvy but I like to take pictures. And I just found out that when we put the pictures on the tv like slides, the same pictures look so much better than you would think is an expensive camera.:)

I agree with you that bananas are the easiest thing to grow and they reproduce a lot, we constantly have to thinned the corms and either give them away or throw them out. Originally I had 12 different kinds but now I have less because they take too much room for my small yard.

One of my best tasting and productive trees is the Brogdon avocado, in my opinion is better than Haas and make the creamiest and most delicious guacamole ever! we make the avocado parties. I always send a box to my brothers that live up north.

In my yard there is a lot of sun! and my luck with orchids is not that good, without a lot of shade they would cook in the greenhouse. I am more of an edible type of gardener...Love cherimoyas but they won't do well here with the humidity, and yes tamarind trees are huge! the sour and the sweet. I have the sweet in a clay pot like a bonsai.:) everything in my yard has to be kept small, otherwise there is no room.

Brogdon avocado

Photobucket

Photobucket

Silvia

o

What a fun and cool party! Your pics looks fine to me. How fun to grow your own bananas, love them as they are and in banana bread but that's about it.

Welcome to the forum!!

David

o

Do you share recipes??? Would love to know your various recipes for banana bread..
After all that's what we are primarily about....cooking and sharing recipes.
Of course many of us are also gardeners and share recipes that we make with our home grown produce.....and some even share recipes they make with their own grass fed beef...:-0!
don't be a stick in the mud, now....let's hear how you made all those yummy looking dishes!!
Linda C

o

Another warm welcome from me, Silvia. We really are a great and welcoming group!

I'm impressed as well....a banana party? I bet that's better than a lemon party (darfc....)!

o

Silvia, are those the big avocados? I think I bought one once, it was larger, greener and smoother skinned than the darker Haas avocados, but it was just labelled "Florida avocado".

I'd also like your banana jam recipe, if you'd be so kind as to share it.

Annie

o

hi!!! all your dishes are delicious. i really want to know how to make "Florida cranberry tea". Can you share the recipe for me?

o

Hi David

Thank you for your warm welcome and I can say that I like a big variety of foods and experimenting is fun!

Hi Linda

I love to share recipes! I always believe than sharing what you have makes you richer in many ways.:) But I will probably learn more from the very experienced cooks here.
I promise from now on to do like everyone here does, make the dish, take a picture, share the recipe. Otherwise the mind cannot be trusted to remember all the details,lol
I am putting the recipe for the banana cake, it is more like bread to me, and I did it without the cream cheese frosting so I could put it in the freezer for the party. I made because it sounded interesting with the low heat and came out perfectly. I put the link with the recipe for you.

Hi Jessyf

Thank you for welcoming to the group, I can see that I am going to have fun here, it is going to take me a long time to get familiar with all of your great posters, I am going to go baby steps.:)

Annie - I have to tell you the truth, I don't really care for those big Florida type avocados. The one that I have, I tried the fruit before buying the tree. It is a mix between a Guatemalan and some other type. It is more like the Haas type but bigger and better in my opinion. A lot of people that I let them sample said the same thing.
Because I have an abundance when in season, I freeze some in the small jars for jams with a little bit of red lime juice, one of my citrus.

Here it is the recipe for you:

Banana with Orange Juice and Vanilla

2 1/4 pounds bananas,or 1 1/2 pounds net
6 attractive juice oranges, or 1 1/4 cup juice
4 cups granulated sugar
Juice of 1 small lemon
3/8 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
2 vanilla beans

Squeeze the oranges and reserve the juice. Peel bananas and slice them into rounds a little less than 1/2 inch thick. In a preserving pan,immediately combine the orange juice, banana slices, lemon juice, orange zest, sugar, sugar, and vanilla beans, split lengthwise.

Bring to a simmer. Pour into a bowl. Cover the fruit with a sheet of parchment paper and refrigerate overnight.

Next day, bring this preparation to a boil in a preserving pan, stirring continuously. Skim. Continue cooking on high heat for about 10 minutes, still stirring. Skim again if need be. Remove the vanilla beans, which will be used to decorate the jars. Mix the jam very gently. Return to boil. Check the set. Put the jam into jars immediately and seal.

Hi Janesi

Last garden party that we had there were seeds given for a Florida cranberry hibiscus, I didn't grow the plant but Carmen did and she made the tea for the party. I will find out the recipe from her but we need to grow the plant to make this kind of tea, it was delicious!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: banana cake

o

You are going to love Silvia's posts. She is a master cook and gardener, and takes professional-grade photos. Her postings in Florida Gardening have been welcomed in the past. I've never met her but she must be a very healthy soul looking at all the yummy fresh harvest from her garden and the wonderful dishes she prepares with them.

o

Retaweeda, you are too funny LOL Silvia is a very healthy soul, inside and out and one of the most giving person I have ever met, I benefit plenty LOL.

Janesi I received a plant at Silvias spring party in April and that thing has been producing like crazy.
What I do is I pick the fruit after the flower has droped and the fruit gets big but not too big. I dehyrate the fruit but you can also use it fresh . I prefer to dehydrate cus it last much longer dried.Then I put dried fruit in very hot water(hand full or so per cup) and let it steep till it has the taste I want and sweeten with just a touch of honey.

o

Hi Ya'll...Doug and Pam from Orlando....

Yes Silvia is a world-class gardener and cook....what you're missing "Online" is a wonderful Spanish/Latin accent....Very International :-)

Well....I'm posting this but I'm NOT giving up my "Man-Card" just cause it's Quiche...here they are cooking early Sat. morning before the party...

Photobucket

It all starts with a basic recipe:

4 Jumbo Eggs
1 cup (or more) half and half
2 cups shredded cheese add Tbs flour & shake
1 package chopped frozen spinach...squeeze DRY in terrycloth
Frozen pie shell (I like Marie C)
Nature Season or salt/pepper

But then you ADD your own STUFF....these were:

Sauted mushrooms and onions to the Swiss cheese pie

Sliced Ham and scallions to the Asiago cheese blend

Crispy fried HOT sausage bits and pickled Jalapeno pepper slices (I should have chopped them...they bunched up) as well as some scallions all added to Sharp cheddar

When I add a bunch of stuff I reserve a little spinach til the shell is filled......or make a fourth catch-all-pie for us !

With the garden bounty....we'll often skip the spinach and just add whatever is fresh.....sometimes as-you-say Tried/Tossed

Bake about an Hour and half at 400 degrees.........

o

Bravo! Bravo! My gang from the Florida forum is here!

Rita - You are so kind putting all those big M's in my humble person, lol. Especially the one with the photography.:)
You should come to our parties sometimes, they are a lot of fun! I think Larry is from your area and he was willing to give a ride to anyone that wanted to come. Hope to meet you one day...

Carmen - Thank you for coming here to give your very tasty Florida cranberry ice tea recipe. And if anybody is giving, it is you, without you the trading of the plants would not be the same. Thank you my friend for all your help and I hope one of the parties you make the black bean brownies that you said you make. Sounds healthy! lol

Doug and Pam - you are the greatest cook! after eating those quiches, I would never look the same at another, and I promised that I will wait till the next party to eat another one.
The quiches were the most liked food at the party, I got to sample the one with the ham and I love it! hot or cold is good, the man at the party thought the spicy sausage one was the bomb!
Thank you Doug for all your nice words about me, you made me sound interesting! lol. I hope that I can live up to all my wonderful friends expectations.

One of the popular dishes at the party was the papaya and pineapple salad! Right? Carmen and Doug.
While living in Arizona for a while I learned to do a lot of Mexican cooking and today because I have ripe papayas I made this papaya drink, you can really make to taste, honey, sugar, more water, less water, lime or lemon. On mine I use very little sugar because my papayas are already sweet ripened on the tree and more water to fill a pitcher, in a hot day like today is very refreshing.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: papaya drink

o

Woohoo!! All kinds of new people! Welcome to the CF!

So that's what a full-blown avocado tree looks like! I love planting the pits but my plants get a few feet tall, then the leaves turn all brown and die. Oh well, it's a cheap, fun hobby.

o

Wow! Wish I lived in Florida so I could come to your parties!!! Welcome to the forum...I also love both gardening and cooking. It's so nice you have decided to join us!!!
Joann

o

thanks, Silvia, and welcome to your other friends too! I especially liked the ingredient list that called for "attractive" oranges. (grin) I can just see a display of oranges at the grocery, singing "I feel pretty, or so pretty", LOL

The quiche looks delicious, Doug/Pam!

Annie

o

Hello you guys from Florida, you are bringing lot�s of sunshine to this Cooking Forum.

Silvia, will you marry me? LOL! I am so in love with your garden and cooking.

Tonight you inspired me to make two things:

Fried bananas (Cheaper than plantain) on pork belly saut�ed in banana sauce.

Papaya/coconut drink, garnished with dehydrated papaya.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

dcarch, that looks so yummy!!! I don't do pork but it still looks good.
I'll have one one of those please "papaya drinks"
I just dehydrated one nice big papaya.

Carmen

o

Annie, thats the accent that Doug was talking about,I had the same thought when I read that, thank you for putting it into words. Silvia just has a beautiful way of saying things.
Carmen

o

Jasdip - Thank you for your enthusiasm! You can grow an avocado as a houseplant, you need a lot of light, a fast draining medium as a mix, and they don't like wet feet.

Ghoghunter - Garden friends come from far away to the parties. Next time that you come to Orlando, you are invited!.

Annie - You are welcome and yes, attractive sounds funny in a recipe. But the writer of Mes Confitures is European and they think like that.
Last January I was in Italy and even when you just buy bread and pastries, they wrap the things so exquisite that you would think you are getting a gift.:)
My favorite was the coffee shops served by an elegant crew that paid attention to the details and decorated everything so beautiful!

Photobucket

Dcarch - You are so funny! but you got competition, somebody in the Florida forum asked me the same question and it was Halloween! lol
And I say,yes! but you will be the Einstein, I am the no- nonsense cook and gardener, I don't follow rules, I break them! lol

Those dishes looks so yummy! I want one of everything!
Love pork wrap in banana leaves with black rice dessert Philippino style.:)

Carmen - We can both share Dcarch as fans! lol. Now you know why I am his follower.
And Annie is in a class by herself!, so worthy and yet so humble!
Carmen, thank you for your nice words, they made my day!

Silvia

o

Welcome Silvia, so enjoyed your pictures and look forward to your recipes as well.That green bean and tomato salad was calling my name.. yummy.

june

o

Hi June

Thank you for your warm welcome! Just like you I love vegetables. But in order to be appealing, they have to look good, after that comes the taste, the dish need the flavors that sing!lol
When I try a new recipe, first I look at the picture if possible, then I read it and think about the flavors, after that I get to cooking and while I am sampling, I almost always change it, unless it is pickles or baking. The recipe comes out better or so I am told,lol.
In my garden now I am getting tomatoes, I will be using those ....

Here are some scenes from the tomato party last year, where an Italian chef demonstrated some of the food...

Photobucket

Risotto Primavera

Photobucket

The chef making a pasta salad with roasted cherry tomatoes

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Thank you, Silvia. Elery says I'm in a class by myself too, but he won't elaborate, LOL.

What beautiful tomatoes!

Annie

o

Those bananas are amazing!! I'm dying to move somewhere with a yard so I can try to grow some :-)

o

Annie - Elery is funny, what is life without a sense of humor.:)
Love to grow and use tomatoes in many different ways, I saw a post on your beautiful tomatoes also. I always grow a variety for me and the community gardens that I help, you can never have too many tomatoes!lol

Jessica - Hopefully one day your wish will come true, it is a lot of fun and a tasting experience to grow many kinds. One of the varieties that I like is the Hua Moa from Hawaii, you can use it cooked when green or fresh when ripe.

Today I went to the Food and wine festival at Epcot in Disney. I took some pictures for all of you to see...

Photobucket

Cranberries

Photobucket

Some of the food and drinks were good but some others were not

Argentina beef empanada and beef with chimichurri sauce and boniato puree

Photobucket

China pork pot stickers and Mongolian beef on a sticky bun

Photobucket

Caribbean Dragon berry frozen colada

Photobucket

And there was a lot of people!

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Hi Silvia,

I've enjoyed your posts on the Bean Forum. You are off to a good start on the Cooking Forum with nice pics you have posted here. I look forward to many more.

Yeah, many of us are fans of dcarch. It's always a treat to open CF and see that he has posted another surprising creation.

Jim

o

WOW, I have been to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival numerous times but I haven't encountered crowds like that. Thanks for sharing.

*Off Topic-I design a team building program for my company that I facilitated at EPCOT. I thought it was a cleaver way to get to EPCOT, we took a bus to EPCOT for the day. Each participate had to research a country in EPCOT and present a profile of our company's presents in that country including reaching out to an employee in one of our offices in that country. As we visited each country, the participate gave their report.

o

Hi Jim!

I remember you from the bean forum and is nice to know that you also like to cook. I like to grow things, cooking, eating and parties,lol. I like to go to restaurants and after I try to re create the dishes at my house.
I went to Florence in January to a restaurant called Gigi, that was the owner and when you enter he sings opera, he also cooks. I asked for ribollita for lunch and it tasted great but it was so big! I couldn't finish it and I had to explain that to Gigi.:) While I was there, I bought a lot of different beans to bring home...

Ribollita

Photobucket

Today I harvested Okinawa purple sweet potatoes and I had it for lunch

Fried purple sweet potatoes, leftover roasted pork and tomatoes from the garden. (Jim, I should put some kind of decoration like Dcarch there, right?)

Photobucket

Hi Mustangs - That sounds interesting! I love going to Disney, but after sampling food and drinks for 6 hours, I didn't want anything anymore! I think I did 3/4 of the countries, and no rides.
On the Australia booth, they had shrimp on the barbie, no picture because I really didn't like it. It had a sweet and citrusy sauce...

Silvia

o

Silvia, I love those purple sweet potatoes. I grew blue potatoes here in Michigan once, they were really more purple, but they weren't sweet.

We mashed them and they turned a lovely violet, which was rather disconcerting when eaten with turkey gravy, all that yellow gravy on violet colored potatoes, LOL. Strange in the Shepherd's Pie we had from the leftovers too.

So yours are actually sweet potatoes?

Annie

o

What a lovely meal. I think it looks perfect just as it is.

o

Annie, yes they are actually sweet potatoes from Hawaii, a friend just told me that he read it that they had more antioxidants than the blueberries. They are so tasty! a different taste than the regular sweet potatoes that I grow, I have the orange and white varieties.
I am also familiar with the regular potatoes that are blue, I do prefer the taste of the purple Okinawa, that is on top of my list now to grow and yes I just saw a purple sweet potato pie in some recipes from Hawaii, it does look different.:)

Some regular potatoes that I grew before, blue, rose and one of my favorites, the yellow German Butterball.

Annie, I am also going to start some purple snap peas this season, this is the best time for us to enjoy cold weather veggies.

Photobucket

And here are the Okinawa sweet potatoes that I cut yesterday

Photobucket

If any of you want to try them out, look for them in the Asian stores in your area...

Thank you Jessica, my main idea is that it has to taste good and I am happy!

Silvia

o

First I read this:

"I like to go to restaurants and after I try to re create the dishes at my house."

And I thought of my trip to Florence, after which every meal for a month was an attempt to recreate what I ate there.

Then I read this:

"I went to Florence in January..." LOL!!!

I learned a lot from that trip. It's time for another to refresh my fading memories of the food.

I also brought back some of those huge Italian garden seed packets.

Jim

o

Jim, that is funny! I had one empty suitcase to bring pastries, chocolates (the best!), turrone from Nananini in Tuscany, dried fruit, hazelnuts, wine, olive oil, cheese, and of course beans all different canellini, farro,etc.
The seeds were mailed to me when I bought them in a shop, they arrived before me and after that the owner of the winery sent me a lot of chicory seeds, she said have a salad on me,lol.

Photobucket

Some of my favorites

Mozarella bar

Photobucket

The pastries in the Jewish getto in Rome, You had to stand outside to enter because it was small place and so busy! The pastries had the burned look but they were amazing! I wish that I can make that:)

Photobucket

Breads were so good and so many different kinds, the one that is very popular had no salt...

Photobucket

Just remembering...

Silvia

o

Amazing haul! Like you, I have used the empty suitcase strategy and while others brought back knick knacks, I brought back food but not nearly as successfully as you.

Our last trip we stayed in Trastevere so it was an easy walk to the Jewish Ghetto, great history as well as great food. The fried artichokes in the Jewish Ghetto were to die for. I had a meal of artichokes and gelato several times and have been trying to duplicate the artichokes ever since.

o

Mustangs - When I go anyplace, the first thing that I do is to find out what can I bring with me that is allowed and is food,lol. I look for items that have a long shelf life but also for my favorites. I found in the Market di Fiori about 6 kinds of different raisins, my favorite is the one with stems but all were good.
And I know what you are talking about the artichokes...it is so popular there and the right climate for them.

Here they are to remind you, I will ask my Italian friends if they have a good recipe, so we can both do it.:)

Photobucket

Photobucket

The salad mix is so good and they buy it daily for the home.

Silvia

o

Silvia, I grow sweet potatoes for the greens.

Have you cooked sweet potato greens?

Better than spinach, IMHO.

dcarch

o

I have a question for Annie in response to your comment on yellow turkey gravy.

What makes your turkey gravy yellow? Or is a descriptive choice of words? I make roast turkey at least once a month. The broth and drippings from the turkey and/or turkey parts (legs & thighs are favs here) make a carmel/light brown colored gravy. Do you season the gravy broth with something that makes it yellow?

o

Hi Dcarch - I have not used sweet potato greens yet but my friend who is one of the best Asian cooks does. She also uses moringa leaves and green papaya. I am sure they are very nutritious. Whenever she invites me to eat, her food is so delicious! but I must say she takes very long time to cook, I always come home with the best eggrolls lumpia. When I saw the recipe that she gave me, I thought I need time and practice.:)
Another green that I tried when I went to Jamaica was callaloo and I grew it in my garden one summer...

Photobucket

And made a soup

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Welcome to the CF, Silvia!

Your photos are all wonderful, and your banana tree took me back to my childhood days in Cuba. We, or rather our neighbor, had a few banana trees in his backyard, and my brother and I loved climbing them; not much of a challenge when you consider the trees couldn't have been more than 8-10 ft. tall.

Sol

o

Teresa, my gravy isn't really yellow, it's more tan, but something about the contrast with the lavender colored sweet potatoes brought out the yellow tone. Because I use locally grown turkeys and the fat is a somewhat different color, even the skin is more yellow, and because I don't cook the roux for too long, the gravy is a light sandy/caramel color with some yellow undertones. I might have a picture, but I think that was before I had a digital camera, Jessica brought me my first one as a gift when she came to visit.

The first bite of purple potato was somewhat unsettling, it's amazing how you expect something to look a certain way. Your brain says "it's the same thing, dummy", but your eyes aren't certain. That purple sweet potato pie that Silvia mentioned would be interesting.

Sol, a 10 foot tree is tall when you're a kid, LOL. I can just see you scampering up a tree like a monkey. (grin)

Silvia, I'll watch for those purple sweet potatoes, I'm due for a trip to that great Asian market in Ann Arbor that Nancy (wizardnm) told me about. The picture looks almost like beets. I grew the white "Nancy Hall" sweet potatoes this year and some orange "Georgia Jets". I've never even seen a purple one, or a purple snap pea either. Thanks, now I have something new to try to grow, Michigan weather limits me somewhat, I haven't had a great deal of luck so far with the white sweet potatoes. Maybe purple would like it better here.

Your other potatoes are beautiful too. I made some red, white and blue potato salad last year for the 4th of July picnic but cooking them leached out some of the color so it wasn't as colorful as I had hoped.

I like the oddly colored vegetables and the grandkids like to grow them. Makayla's school has been teaching her that we should "eat a rainbow every day". Lots of different vegetables make that more interesting. For me too!

Annie

o

"...it's amazing how you expect something to look a certain way. Your brain says "it's the same thing, dummy", but your eyes aren't certain."

It works both ways. The flavor of vegetables which have a yellow color cast are often described as "buttery". Klondike gold potatoes, for example. I doubt there are any vegetables with a buttery taste until we put butter on them. But we willingly believe our lying eyes.

Jim

o

Hi Sol - Thank you for your warm welcome and I am happy that I stirred those good memories in you!
Bananas are so versatile and we can even use the leaves for cooking meat, rice, desserts and tamales.:)

Photobucket

Annie - One of the reasons that I garden is that I can grow things that are not even available at stores. Some people collect different things, I collect seeds,lol
In my garden I grow the most unusual and I pick daily something fresh and that is my menu for the day. And I love colors! happy colors everywhere.

Zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes from the garden, my lunch today

Photobucket

and the sweet potato party some time ago...

Photobucket

sweet potato slices

Photobucket

Jim - When friends come to eat at my house, it is always an experience for them, lol. They always ask what is this and what is that? they all like the dishes at the end. And I have to be on my toes because sometimes real chefs come.:)

Silvia

o

Did I say "Klondike Gold". How embarrassing. Of course I meant Yukon Gold.

Seeing your tamales, both banana wrapped and corn husk, motivates me to make some.

Those sweet potato slices look very buttery. :-)

Jim

o

Jim, when I saw Klondike potatoes, didn't sound right but then I thought that you know something that I don't, lol

I grow the amish bush porto rico every season and they are very tasty. The sweet potato slices is a recreation of something similar that I ate long ago and they are easy to cut and eat as a finger food and the guests took them home as a party favors.:)

I made this tamales with the banana leaves, try them, they take long time to prepare but they are worth it.

I was cooking the meat while I had painters in the house and they said "smells heavenly" The real trick is when using fresh banana leaves they have to be softened, and I didn't know how to do that, so I wet them and put them in the microwave for a second and voila!, later I asked my friend how she do it and she said she puts them on a fire quick...you can also use parchment.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: tamales

o

"...I thought that you know something that I don't..."

Hahahaha! How kind of you!

I notice the recipe you linked calls for lard. Am I correct in thinking it is important to use a high quality lard? Any suggestions?

Jim

o

How are the sweet potato slices made? Are they sweet or savory?

o

Late to the party here. I feel a little silly welcoming you, Silvia. It seems like you are already part of the crowd here. I am enjoying your pictures and comments. Maybe you will inspire me to actually cook something. Somebody has to eat all the stuff everyone else cooks. That's my talent. Welcome.

o

Jim - Where I live right now, I don't have many specialized sources so my choices are limited to what the local stores have to offer. I don't use much lard in my cooking but once in a while for baking or other...My main thing when I go to different markets anywhere is the spices, I try to stack up on all that I can,lol

Jessica - The sweet potato slices are sweet and they can be easily cut for small servings, I made this recipe and I changed the sugar to 3 cups and the vanilla to 3 teaspoons, because I have the vanilla from Costa Rica and is stronger, I baked it in a square pan for easy cutting.

Hi Dedtired - It is never too late to get to know you and thank you for the welcome. I can see that you love to eat,lol that is the best reason to hang in this forum. I will also learn from the wonderful and very experienced posters here. Nothing can beat real experience when making a recipe. I will be posting about my little experiments, my parties and the food at the restaurants that I go. Like you can tell, I also love good food!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet potato slices

o

Silvia - You are definitely too modest!

Carmen I am so delighted that you are enjoying the hibiscus I brought! This is my favorite tea ever and I drink it a lot. I've got my hubby hooked on it. :-) I had thought to bring this to the party, but as luck would have it for the 3rd, or 4th? year in a row I couldn't make it. *pout*

I just had to stop and show you all Silvia's (SMALL?) garden is truly heart stopping. Here it is this spring.
And this is only a small portion of it. My wildest dreams can only hope that my garden would be like this one day.

o

Hi Barbie!

What a nice surprise! We missed you at the party but I hope that you can come next spring. It is so nice to have your company and thank you very much for your nice words. You were just so gifted when you wrote on your blog about my humble garden last time that you came...
I will save some Okinawa purple slips potatoes for you in April. There were some sweet potato dishes from gardeners that I gave the slips last time from my bush amish porto rico. I remember that you made muffins from the berries in your garden, they were very tasty!

Silvia

o

Annie B., I'd like a moment for rebuttal...

Silvia, I'm absolutely craving tamales; aside from chocolate, a Tamal is my favorite food.
Mom always makes Cuban tamales wrapped in fresh corn husks (she uses everything but the silk :), which is traditional to the island.
Banana leaves were mostly used to wrap other foods, such as fish. I have done the latter, but have yet to try wrapping tamales in banana leaves. One day.

Ok, Annie, I confess. As a kid, I was the proverbial monkey. I was loud, swung from banana trees, and pretty much did everything monkeys do, except fling poo.

Although, there were times... :)

Sol

o

Sol, it seems like we are related,lol. I love chocolate and tamales! Have you tried the Italian chocolates? Oh no, I can never like another chocolate again, I like the most the ones with hazelnuts.

And tamales that is my weakness,lol. I lived in Arizona for a while and all the families there make big batches around Christmas and I am talking hundreds, red chili, green chili, pork, chicken, beef.

Close third in the running are empanadas! I like cheese, meat, my favorite are the dough made of green plantains with cheese inside...

I made this meat empanadas for the sweet potato party.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Sol, I knew it. (grin)

As for the slinging of poo, I've seen my share of it flung in my life, figuratively, not literally. :-)

I've missed you, I'm glad to see you back. Now tamales? It's something I've never made because I'm not wild about the texture of the masa, but Elery loves them. Maybe I should give them another try, using Renee's "7 year rule".

Annie

Annie

o

Silvia - I went back and re-read this entire thread. What a treat it is to have you and your "gang from the Florida forum" here.

Another big welcome! I hope to see all of you posting on a regular basis!

Teresa in Minnesota

o

Oh, and Silvia, what a beautiful garden!

Annie

o

Thanks for the recipe. Looks good!

o

Hi Teresa - We are a big group of gardeners that have the parties and love good food. The main reason for growing edibles is because we can take it to the kitchen and sample new recipes. That is why that this forum is so interesting for me and everyone is very welcoming! I feel like I know you all for some time already...I will be posting and learning at the same time. Great ideas and recipes here!

Hi Annie - Thank you. When I compare my garden to the great ones that I seen, it is very small and non pretentious.:) The big thing with my garden is the production! every inch of space have some sort of edible or herbs. It looks the best in spring, that was the time that some pictures were taking for the Florida Gardening Magazine and they had a little story to go with it. I also volunteer my help in the community gardens in my area and they printed in the local newspaper, they said that I was the "tomato expert" I was shocked! lol

Some of the harvest one day in a past season

Photobucket

You are welcome Jessica.

Silvia

o

Silvia,

Are those lychee fruits at the lower right hand corner? If so I am moving in with you. LOL!

Is that micro eggplant Fairy Tale eggplant? Very delicious and cute variety.

dcarch

o

Hi Dcarch

You are so funny! And yes those are lychee fruits and my tree is in the front yard and none of my neighbors know that is a fruit and edible. When they see me picking, they said "do you eat that?" and then I let them sample...
I think that is the Fairy eggplant, a couple of years ago I planted about 6 different varieties but in my weather so far the best has been the Orlando eggplant, it is non-stop. I am always looking for friends and neighbors to give away a bag.In the party Doug came with envelopes to give away the Orlando seeds.

Here it is this season after picking a bag full...

Photobucket

At the party the eggplant Madras pickle was very popular made with the eggplant harvest. I just love them roasted in the oven.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Hi All....I'm not sure if Silvia is a better gardener or a better cook.....but don't worry....'Damn the waistline'....I'm dedicated to finding the truth ;-)

Those Orlando eggplant re-packaged seeds came from....as Jimster pointed out "those huge Italian garden seed packets." (gourmetseed.com)

What is it with our own USA seed companies and their miserly seed counts ?

Silvia.....OMG, I've been eating your Cinnamon Fig Jam.... mmmmmmmmm! Delicious! I can't imagine the effort to make.... Thank-You Friend....

doug

Here's a link to the FloridaForum and a Silvia Press Clipping:

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Garden

o

Hi Doug!

Thank you for all your nice words! Having friends like you makes the life fun. I look forward to our get togethers.

The Mayor of the town of Oakland came to the party and her favorite are the Zuni Cafe pickles that I gave her a jar. She said those are the best pickles ever!

I am so glad that you liked the fig jam, my fig tree is a variety that was planted a long time ago by the settlers and I bought a little one for $ 5, now is so productive! The cinnamon fig jam is my favorite, I also made the honey fig, the rum and fig, and the Grand Marnier one.
Mike from the community garden said that the rum one is the best, I bought the rum in Jamaica.

Doug, now that you and Jim mention about the giant seed packages, I thought the same,lol. Did you see all the chicory seeds packets that I put out at the party? they went very fast and some gardeners didn't even know what chicory was and they came to ask me. I couldn't eat all that chicory that Donatella the winery owner sent me in my lifetime.:)

Silvia

o

Wow, Silvia, that's some eggplant! I get 5 or 6 here from my plants, they grow a couple of feet tall and I think they're productive, nothing like those.

I agree that the seed packets are "miserly" here. I shake my head when I open a packet and there are 4 or 6 seeds of something in there. I still go to my local feed mill and buy seeds from the bulk jars. It's way cheaper and measured in scoops, not seeds. I don't know why more people don't do that, instead they buy from the seed catalogs and it's the same stuff, only three times as expensive (or more).

I will admit that I do buy some varieties on-line that I can't seem to get anywhere else, but there aren't very many of those. Don't ask me how I killed a bunch of ghost peppers. I guess they aren't meant to grow in Michigan...

Annie

o

I am always looking for friends and neighbors to give away a bag. Okay, I love eggplant and I'm not too far from you!

o

Wow, this has been a fun thread to catch up on.

A late (as usual) welcome, Sylvia. My garden is way west and way north of yours. No bananas here, and I'll try not to to be too envious of the giant eggplant (this was a miserable year for my 60 day Asians) But I have huckleberries...there is that...lol.

o

"----The Mayor of the town of Oakland came to the party ----"

Impressive! At first I thought it was Oakland CA. Then I realized you meant Oakland FL. I was in Lake Mary recently, I could have drop by and join you guys.

Speaking of mayor, I just got this from a friend in LA, he worked with the LA mayor to get this done:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/los-angeles-mayors-office/city-of-los-angeles-institutes-comprehensive-food-procurement-policy/166567283482953

May be you can forward that to your mayor friend.

Photobucket

dcarch

o

Annie - One of my favorite stores is the feed store in Winter Garden, I get seeds and coastal hay for my garden, very inexpensively. I love the feeling of the old town there, they have pigs, rabbits and others like pets. And as a plus I always hear tidbits from the history of the small town where I live, all the stories that I missed since I don't live here too long. Love to hear from the locals that are native Floridians.

Mustangs, since you live in the area, it will be very nice if you can come to our garden parties. And I will save a bag of eggplant for you. I try to give away different veggies to different people so they don't get tired of cooking the same thing.:)

Hi Katiec, you are never too late to say hi and I am glad that you live close by, I have blackberries in my garden and I made a great tasting jam in the summer, love berries! any kind.:)

Dcarch - Oh no, I would love to have you in my house! next time, let me know and send me an email. You are very welcome to come here anytime.
And I know people always get confused with Oakland, there is another Oakland in South Florida and when I make the parties I have to explain the directions very good so they don't go somewhere else,lol
It is so nice about your friend in LA, he must be so proud of his work to get that done, congrats to him.!

Have a happy Sunday!

Silvia

o

Silvia, KatieC isn't very close, she's in Idaho! I do have a jar of her huckleberry jam on my table here in Michigan, though, so through the wonder of the internet we're all very close together...

Annie

o

Good morning Annie!

You are very right, the internet makes us all close. I just notice that our zones don't show up in this forum like in others.
Since I lived in many different places, I am familiar with the areas and what is growing. I always garden since I was a child. That is why I thought huckleberry don't grow near me.:)
If I have to pick a place where I had the very best wild berries would be Oregon, I used to live there a long time ago...

We have very good blueberries in the area

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Oregon = truffles

dcarch

o

Dcarch - That is interesting, I didn't know that...I like truffle cheese.

You probably like this market in Florence

Photobucket

I will be cooking all week something tomatoes, they are getting ripe in my garden. In the farmers market Florida corn is in season, they were selling fresh picked 6 ears for $2.

My tomatoes this morning

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Silvia, a few days ago, I had an avocado, hass type, I was surprised! The pit was very tiny about the size of a large marble. It was mostly all delicious creamy golden/green avocado meat. I have never had an avocado like that. So I saved the seed and I am growing it and see what happens.

If I can get it to sprout I may send it to you, if you want. I can't grow avocado in NY climate.

It would be amazing if this is a mutation of avocado with very tiny seed.

dcarch

o

Dcarch, I had a lot of different avocados, one that grows in a temperate climate in a town around the Andes is very small but such a good taste! Another that I tried you can eat the skin. The one you ate sounds very good! Avocados can grow as a houseplants, it is very nice of you to think about me for maybe your seedling if it sprouts...
When in season at my garden, I would like to send you some to try. My brothers that live around your area, always get a box, they shipped so well. I also send my red limes for them to make guacamole, I like them best with a good bread like a sandwich, maybe some pickled red onions.

A meal from my garden, avocado, eggplants, tomatoes,red lime and some herbs.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

"It would be amazing if this is a mutation of avocado with very tiny seed."

This seems likely. If so, it would be very valuable. Avocados are mainly propagated commercially by cloning. It is worth trying to grow that seed.

Jim

o

On the other hand, clones are very unlikely to be mutated.

Hmm....

Jim

o

Jim, you are thinking too much, lol. My Brogdon avocado is a mix of two different avocados. Tom from the Florida forum grew some seedlings from my avocados, it is going to be interesting what the gardeners who got the seedlings get and when. My garden is about 5 years old and it was only grass when we moved here, the avocado is probably the most productive fruit tree that I have, after that is the loquat (Japanese plum).

I like this combination, shrimp and avocado with a corn tortilla

Photobucket
My bananas are going crazy this year, I harvested some bunches not long ago and from the same plants I have more bunches again.:)

One bunch that I used in cooking and fresh

Photobucket

And the same plant has one bunch and it flowered again this week.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

"Jim, you are thinking too much, lol."

You nailed me! Guilty, as charged. :-)

This thread is getting kind of long, isn't it? It's been a good one, with lots of your photos and interesting topics. Now it's time to branch out.

Jim

o

I feel like I've been on vacation after reading this thread. I hope Silvia and friends stick around and contribute many more lengthy threads!

Teresa who is looking forward to more posts by Silvia and the new Florida peeps.

P.S. Mustangs - you live close - visit soon and we want pictures!

o

Hi Teresa! Just because you are being so nice, I am telling you my soon to be future posting. On Saturday, I am making a dinner party for friends. The way I do all my parties is prepare every day a little bit, the day of the event I don't do a thing but get myself ready and few fresh details. So far appetizer, soup and salad are done. Few side dishes will be done soon. Originally, I was thinking to make gazpacho from the tomatoes from the garden but I changed to a hot roasted tomato soup, I am glad that I did, it tasted so good! For dessert, I am thinking something Meyer lemon, my tree is getting heavy with fruit...
And when I go to a new restaurant, I will take you and the cooking forum to have that experience in another post! I have some interesting reservations coming up:) Hope to meet Mustangs when she has a chance to be in my area.

Silvia

o

Teresa, "---I feel like I've been on vacation after reading this thread. ---"

I know. I have re-read this post a few times.

Especially the garden pictures. I feel the plants in Silvia�s garden are all sentient, and they are all saying," We like it here very much!"

dcarch

o

"Jim, you are thinking too much, lol."

You nailed me! Guilty, as charged. :-)

This thread is getting kind of long, isn't it? It's been a good one, with lots of your photos and interesting topics. Now it's time to branch out.

Jim

o

There I go again; double posting. How do I do that????

Jim

o

And two hours apart.......hmmmmmmmmmm - how did you do that?

o

I think it has something to do with quantum mechanics or string theory, neither of which I understand.

Jim

o

Welcome Silvia! So very glad you joined us. Welcome to your fellow Florida friends too. Geez, a girl is gone for a couple of weeks and you guys fill a thread with all these great pics and food. It took me a couple of days to get through it but I thoroughly enjoyed all the posts. Thanks for sharing your world with us Silvia and I look forward to getting to know you.

Coconut

o

Jim - reading is optional in the forums, you don't have to open up this thread if you don't want to.

Hi Coconut! I am so glad that you are back and thank you for your warm welcome! I look forward to get to know you and do more posts about what I cook and new experiences that are fun, it is all about sharing a passion for cooking and new friends are the best way to enrich our lives.
Tonight I am preparing a dinner for friends and I am looking at the last details, everything is pretty much done but the BBQ that will be done after they arrive...I will have a few glasses of wine and be merry but not before everything is set up and I take the pictures to share with all of you.

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here