SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

What's For Dinner? - #253

canarybird01
16 years ago

I was hoping someone else would jump in and start this one.

But I'm ready to post and have to go out soon ....so here we go with a new one! :-)

Good looking meals closing out the previous thread....Ann's tenderloin tips and chicken, Kathleen's eggplant parmesan, Linda's Mediterranean pasta, but I think I'll pass on your peanut butter breakfasts and dinners Annie...although I love PB when it's the crunchy kind and spread on a thick piece of 6 grain bread with seeds yum!

Yesterday was a busy morning....I went for one and a half hours of lymph drainage massage (ahem)....not somethig uncomfortable but a light and very relaxing all over body massage by a Danish lady here who was recommended by my GP. It's supposed to release any excess water stored in your tissues....in case you feel a little bloated. It's hard not to fall asleep during the treatment. Had to do some shopping afterward, but it's so warm and humid here right now that even walking home carrying a few groceries is tiring.

We went out for Sauerbraten and Red Cabbage for lunch. Wolf had bratkartoffeln and I had mini chips. Today I'm making a Spanish tortilla out of fried up vegetables, followed by sardines in tomato sauce on toast. I wouldn't normally think of tinned sardines as part of a meal but they were on the list of recommended fish by the doctor during my checkup. Okay....it's been a while since I had them that way.....they were a part of my student meals ...and that was a long time ago! I guess I could also buy them fresh one day and try them pan-fried.

More pics from my tour of the nearby Botanical Garden the other day:

I'm keeping the news on to hear the latest on the California fires. So much devastation and displaced people and animals.

So sorry and hope that heaven will send a sudden and heavy rain to stop it all.

Comments (100)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Annie, price def is the decider in non essentials for me!
    Marigene, I love your boiled dinner, and dessert looks good too.
    Michelle, please send me some of your energy! I need it to try all the recipes..
    Yesterday I made Leek and Potao soup...

Tonight we had pork cutlets with sauteed brady apples, wild rice and carrots. I served it on the platter my swap buddy Donna sent me today! Isn't it nice? I know the pic is fuzzy!

In the background is the pandora pan Sigh talked us into, (kidding) It is much bigger than I thought. That's the next experiment, a pandoro..

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I'm so far behind there's no way I can catch up but I see some mighty fine cooking here.

Marigene, I saw your corned beef earlier, just before I went to the store... a corned beef just flew into my cart, it's on the menu for Wed. dinner.

Whew...last week just flew by, my DM was here visiting. I cooked and talked all week. There's too many pic's to post but I'll try to hit some highlights...

We took a drive to Bill's Farm Market...the color was beautiful

Here's some of the cooking I did.. these are Mom's favorites.

I made a double batch of Peanut Butter Chocollate Chunk Cookies for Mom to take home. She'll freeze them and 'try' to make them last awhile...

This little bouquet was put together from the last dalia blooms from planters on the deck, we haven't had a freeze yet, but I doubt we'll get many more blooms.

Sunday I was back from taking Mom home. So what do I do?? Cook some more...
    Creamy Swiss Chard.

Tonight I didn't take a photo. We had a turkey burger...a recipe from the TV Network....Sandra Lee... Apple Maple Turkey Burgers with Maple-Dijon Sauce. We liked them and Kim declared it a keeper.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

Looking for a 2.5-3 ft tall yellow fragrant rose

Q

Comments (24)
    Sandra, give Bernstein-Rose another look. I've grown three for at least 10 years and they are an outstanding rose. B-R also goes beautifully with Julia Child. As far as Julia is concerned, mine have grown to 6X6 feet in a good year, but you really need to grow JC. You will never be without lovely yellow blooms. I also have grown Golden Celebration for many years. I think you can prune it back to the size you want. Whatever you do, keep on with GC somewhere, he is a great rose, too. Diane Bernstein-Rose--all three plants never grow over three feet tall here. Julia Child
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • lsr2002
    16 years ago

Wow Nancy, what a fabulous pictorial post. You certainly put the concept of pot pie over the top. I'll be your Mom had a wonderful time with you - eating, shopping, eating, driving to see the lovely fall colors, eating, eating...

Your's is a hard act to follow but I'm bravely posting my ONE picture from dinner tonight.

I made the Baked Greek Pasta and Cheese that Laurie (lpinkmountain) posted. I did add a little freshly ground red pepper flakes and some cream to the recipe. We both loved it and it is now in my keeper file. We also had a salad with greens and Mandarin oranges and green beans with a very little bit of tomato bruschetta mixed in.

Lee

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oooh boy, I know what you all mean - it's overwhelming!!! I thought I had accomplished alot by throwing that pork roast, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot yesterday morning...

Nancy, the apple maple burger sounds good, I'll have to look it up.

Also, Lee, could you post Laurie's recipe - that looks great.

Also, Terri, your chicken asian burger looks so good, could you give me that recipe, too???

Ann, I've got to say, I looked at your burger pic and said to my self - "HA! Ann's so busy, she even threw store bought potato chips on her plate" - but, alas, I read and saw that you actually made those perfect chips....sigh.

I think tonight will be some kind of shredded pork bbq sandwich made with leftover pork from last night's roast.

maybe.

Stacy

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Oh Nancy, what a great week of eating. Now I have a craving for cabbage rolls, lobster pie, and roast pork. Everything looks delicious. And I love your fall farmers market photo. All my favourite veggies (except for the carrots).

Kathleen, beautiful apple tart. And potato leek soup is a favourite.

And I wouldn't mind a little of Marigene's corn beef and Lee's Greek Pasta Bake.

Stacy , you should make some of those homemade potato chips. Very easy and I bet Will would love them.
    Meals haven't been terribly exciting around here. We had Greek Ribs on Saturday night with roasted potatoes and Greek salad.

Moe requested pasta for Sunday nights dinner. I worked Sunday so took the easy way and pulled some prawns out of the freezer and made a repeat of the prawns and spaghetti we had last week.

Yesterday, we were in Victoria until late afternoon. Matt and I ate at our favourite little Mexican place around 4. I had a nice piece of beef tenderloin out to cook for dinner so I ended up just slicing off a nice steak and making Moe Steak and eggs for his dinner. He was happy.

Not sure what will be on the menu tonight. But I need to do something with the rest of the beef tenderloin so I'm leaning towards some sort of Asian dish.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Ann, I make Beef Stroganoff using tenderloin, easy, quick and delicious.

Nancy

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

We had grilled rack of lamb, dmarinated the same as Ann does her Greek ribs. Comes out delicious. Some skirt steaks for the kids. Served on my favorite platter from Karen :)
    {{gwi:2067306}}

We also had some leftover Mushroom Barley soup with mini meatballs.
    {{gwi:2067307}}

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good looking meals everyone!
    I'm going to head straight into what we've been having, but I have to say I'm impressed with all the cooking that's been going on, as well as the yummy looking photos.

Last Saturday we were out at our neighbourhood Austrian place where Wolf had his usual breaded hake fish and German potato salad. We really do stick to our favourite dishes there! I took a half-sized portion from the seniors' menu....a slice of roast pork in mushroom sauce with rice and salad. Nice thing about a smaller plate is that you don't feel you're eating less.
    Our hostess gifted us again with a slice of her quark and ladyfinger cake with two forks.

Sunday I made a dish we haven't had for a long time: Haitian Veal Casserole with Cashew Nut Sauce. Always has a nice flavour with the nuts and plenty of garlic. I used a small tin of tomate frito in the sauce with an added fresh tomato cut up. We had that together with mixed avocado salad, steamed vegetables and crispy potato rounds.

Monday I picked some of the remaining basil from my pots and made a pesto over egg noodles.....aaaaahhh I think freshly made pesto and pasta is my favourite food. We both enjoyed it so much. I still have a couple of tablespoons left of the pesto in the fridge. Think I'll add it to a sauce over something in the next days....maybe some chicken. We had another salad with avocado as well. Today we finished up leftovers from the fridge.....an easy POOFing kitchen day just warming things up.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

My goodness...as everyone has said there has been some impressive cooking lately ...and wow to the photos. I do have to say Nancy that next time your Mom visits, please let me know...I want to be there for that kind of cookin'. Lobstah' pie?!?!? Wow...

I barely got home from a day in DC to make dinner tonight..but we too had chicken burgers and Dick asked where I bought them. Oh that man doubts my abilities!!! They were a combo of chicken and bacon that I chopped in the fp. We used to have that mix as tiny meatballs for cocktail parties in a different lifetime. Orzo and delicata squash with lime , butter and smoked paprika. I could not believe how sweet the squash was. I almost added maple syrup as one recipe had called for instead of the lime and paprika, but my gawd, that would have been pie-sweet.

Ohiomom, how many rolls did that recipe make...lasagna rolls i.e. please?

The rest of this week will prob be clean out the fridge so ...cook on my friends, and I will watch and learn.Maureen

• ann_t
    16 years ago

OOOOH Carol, Rack of Lamb Greek Style. Looks wonderful.

Sharon, I love all your garden photos.

Nancy I had thought of doing a Stroganoff or Beef Bourginon with the tenderloin, but I had done something similar last week with the tips. I really wanted something asian.

I made a chicken chop suey

and used the beef tenderloin to make a beef with peppers and served them with a side of rice.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Stace, I loved your story. I wish I'd have had a pup like Porsche when Jim and I were newlyweds; she would've instantly won my heart.
    But, Jim knew when he married me that I did not cook. I was a pretty confident baker, but cooking was not my forte. Dinners were all experimental. Experiments even our dog Woodie wouldn't touch.
    Thankfully, being newlyweds, our love was far stronger than the gastronomic onslaught I put us through.

Everyone's dinners look mighty fine from here.
    Kathleen, I love your cake platter, but that apple tart ... wow. Qué hermoso! So I ask: Why is your husband not hanging out here with us?
    Nancy, the lobster pot pie looks decadent.
    Ann, that's quite a plate of food. It features all of my favorite things.
    Sharon, beautiful pictures of food and botanicals.
    Carol, TJ's had racks of lamb and I never picked one up because I knew I'd be the only one here eating it. So why didn't I grab it? [g]
    Mme. Monique, where, oh where are your magical photos?

There's a Halloween party at school this afternoon, and Thumper's going to be a Ninja, again. But this time, he'll be a cooler, darker Ninja, not the "Confessional" [professional] Ninja from last year.

Haven't been cooking anything new lately, so I haven't bothered taking pictures. I've only baked Crumpets. It's been almost ten years since I last made them. I've also been working on a very scary Halloween treat, so I haven't had time for much else. I'll post pictures of it, as soon as it's finished.

Tonight's dinner, may be Mahi Mahi - unless someone talks me out of it.

Sol

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Sol, please share your crumpet recipe. Those look absolutely perfect. I'd like one toasted with a slice of tomato.

I'm another one missing Monique's photos.

Ann

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Crumpets? I'd like to try that too... I have jam :)

Ann the beef and peppers and the chicken chop suey both look perfect, a dinner I would like.

I was up to my elbows in cabbage yesterday, finally got my sauerkraut started...I hope it does whatever it's supposed to in that crock.... Anyway, dinner was a quickie...pulled out the Shake 'N Bake and threw the pork chops into the oven and made some Rice a Roni...

I hope to redeem myself tonight. Marigene's Corned Beef gave me a yearning... So it will be boiled dinner here.

Nancy

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

I'm here admiring everyone elses'..I have honestly and will be very busy for the next little while..I did make an interesting HD ..easy as pie from a friend yesterday..

Grilled zucchini on garlic crostinis w/ a bit of tomato sauce..and Mozzarella on top..I only have a pre-baked photo..Oh and a Châtelaine Lemon Pistachio Loaf..and Lemon shortbread spoons..
    Apart from that ..I have not been terribly active in the kitchen..Thank you or thinking of me..I am always perusing here.:)

LOTS more going on here than in my kitchen~

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Monique...I love the shortbread dessert spoon, wonderful idea. Life sure does have a way of getting into our fun... hope you have a little time to play.

I made boiled dinner tonight, it really hit the spot.
    Thanks Marigene for the inspiration.

Dessert for tonight was homemade vanilla ice cream and Brownie Pudding...

Nancy

• woodie
    16 years ago

OMG - I'm just dying here :) Everything is so wonderful and beautiful, sigh! Nancy, I know your lake but not your actual house # - please let me know so I can drop in unexpectedly when Mom comes to visit!

Just to let the rest of the world know how some of us eat - we had one of my favorite one pot wonders tonight - whole grain penne and broccoli with browned garlic, chicken broth, white wine, oregano and crushed red pepper and a good bakery loaf of semolina batard (Ecce Panis) to dunk in some of our favorite evoo with fresh rosemary, garlic, s&p - a real favorite in this house.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Carol...Rack of Lamb...how fabulous!!! We've not had rack of lamb in ages and lamb is one of our favorite meats.

Ann, the beef tenderloin....OH MY! Now that is mouth watering and then some!

Kathleen, the Leek and Potato Soups looks so good. Love the black and white china!

Sol, your crumpets look great aka english muffins or something different?

Nancy, I've wondered where you were and now I know! What gorgeous dinners for your Mom's visit. The pot pie looks fab! But my favorite has to be the Brownie pudding and ice cream! I tried your Vodka Pie Crust and it is so good that I don't think I will use another recipe from now on! I had some trouble getting a clear photo so this is the best I could do.

{{gwi:2067347}}

Monique, so happy to see your pictures again! The dessert spoons look like so much fun and the Pistachio bread....YUM!! I took some pictures of the china hot plates that I told you about. I have 2 of the tourquoise hot plates and 1 of the pear. I keep 2 on my island and 1 on the range top.

{{gwi:2067349}}

Last night we had the Tarragon Chicken that Linda posted a few days ago and it was yummy and a definite keeper. I had a little leftover pesto from Sunday's pizza so we had pesto pasta as a side and it was so good!!

It's been a very busy week for me so far so tonight we had sandwiches and homemade potato chips. The sandwich was my special Grilled Cheese with bruschetta and it tasted as good tonight as it did last week! I think I could eat Grilled Cheese sandwiches 5 times a week and not tire of them. Again not a very clear picture but the best I could do tonight.

{{gwi:2067352}}

I've been shopping again and picked up some new leaf plates for Thanksgiving Dinner. I've wanted them for some time and finally found some I like and a good price too. Also picked up some very cute small leaf side bowls. I think I might have to get some more of these as they are too darn cute.

{{gwi:2067353}}

Also found a huge sale, 50% off, on cookie cutters so loaded up!

{{gwi:2067355}}

And my Pandoro Pan!

{{gwi:2067357}}

And I bought a nice bundt cake pan. I know it will be cheaper after Christmas but I could not resist.

{{gwi:2067358}}

After working out I checked out the TJMaxx which is right next door...how about that, and found these cute recipe holders and they were marked down too! I might have to go back and pick up a few more as they would make a nice little extra swap gift. Think I could get them by the Swap Cops...LOL!

{{gwi:2067359}}

Michelle

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

The corned beef and cabbage dinners looked so delicious - I improvised (no time) so for Halloween dinner, I made Pannini grilled Ruebens w/ homemade thousand island dressing, kosher dill spears and Utz potatoe chips - from a bag (!) I admit. DH bought a special ale for the occasion - his excuse to try a new brew. We served little goblins between bites. It was a perfect meal for the night.
    Thanks to all here for all the inspiration - just found this cooking side a short while ago and I can't stay away.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Hey mon ami, great to see you (and your amazing pictures) back. Now I'm happy.
    And if I could just put my e-face on the crostini, or the Lemon Pistachio Loaf, I'd be ecstatic!

Ann and Nancy, I'll put the recipe on a separate thread as this one's reaching its end, fast.

Michelle, Crumpets and English Muffins are both full of nooks and crannies. And that's where their similarities stop.
    The English Muffin started out as a Crumpet. Both are made with yeast, but Crumpets are made from a batter. They're not kneaded like the English Muffin and a Crumpet's interior is moist as opposed to the drier, bread-like interior of an English Muffin.
    Also, crumpets are meant to be eaten in one piece, not cut in half as it appears in my second image. But I split them open in order to reveal their spongy interior.
    Traditionally, however, Crumpets are served whole with plenty of butter, jam or clotted cream placed on the side riddled with holes.
    Are you still awake?

Dinner. It turned out to be the Mahi Mahi served with a Rum Plantain Mash. I haven't uploaded pictures yet, and have a lot going on tonight, so I may not get the opportunity to contribute anything until next week.

Sol

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ann your Chinese dinner looks fabulous!

Sol love those crumpets.....I miss the ones we used to get on the plane from London to Vancouver.....served for breakfast with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Delish! Your photos are always great.

Nancy you are cooking up the most appetizing dinners and taking lovely photos!

Monique...I'd love to come to one of your tea parties. So pretty and the teapot is pure fantasy!

Michelle the piecrust looks great!

I'm just about to run off to my exercise class so am posting in a hurry before I go.

Wednesday we were out to a neighbourhood pizzeria....it's one next to a German supermarket where Wolf wanted to pick up a few things so we stopped to eat first. I had one of their thin crusty pizzas....I'm not normally too interested in pizzas but once in a while I go for this cracker-crisp version with cheese, ham and onions. Wolf had a thin steak with gravy, potatoes and salad.

Yesterday I made a lentil stew with Asturian chorizo. That's the best kind that we get here as a cooking chorizo. It comes from mainland Spain, from Asturias and is also used in the well-known Spanish bean and sausage dish, "Fabada Asturiana". I used two chorizos in the stew instead of one and reduced the pancetta...as we're not really keen on it, although it adds a smooth and rich flavour to the stew. I also bought the fast cooking lentils which don't need soaking overnight.....which is still customary here for the lentils we usually buy.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Oh Monique, your photos are "dreamy". The Lemon Pistachio Loaf looks delicious. What a nice combination. I very seldom think to use pistachio nuts. And those lemon shortbread spoons. What a nice touch with tea.

Nancy, your corn beef dinner looks great and now I'm craving your brownie pudding. That looks decadent.

Michelle, you have been shopping. I like the pear hotplate.

Sharon, I like a pizza with a thin crust too. And I'm enjoying the photos from the Botanical garden.

I picked up a small rack of veal on the way home from work Wednesday night. I adapted this recipe that I found on line that called for a Chestnut dressing and brandied oranges as accompaniments to the Veal. I used the last box of chestnuts that Stacy sent me in a swap. And I grilled the rack rather than roast it.

And yesterday I put a pot of Oxtails on to cook before going to work and we had them with polenta and rapini for dinner last night. We hadn't had oxtails in a while. I forgot how much I love them.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

OH.....Sharon, your lentil stew looks so good and I love the bowl too!

Ann, WOW, oxtail..now that is something Joe just loves!

We're finally receiving our fall color but many of the trees have totally lost their leaves, so it's a partial display.

I used my new chicken roaster that Kathleen sent me last night and it worked out wonderfully.

Also began to make my fruitcakes by fermenting the fruit and nuts in light rum for 24 hours.

Michelle

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Lobster pot pie?

Crumpets?

Oxtails?

You

all

are

killing

me

!!!

I haven't had any time to cook for weeks. I think I'm finding out that there are only 24 hours in a day, and that some things have to be sacrificed, like cooking.

I don't like that, so I have to figure out a way to include time for it again. Maybe I'll have to prepare lots of things on Saturday for the week. I just don't know.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, those dinners look wonderful. I have never made the oxtails , it looks very good.

Michelle, I am glad the chicken arrived safely. Your dinner looks delicious, do you think the roaster made a difference?? The road to your farm looks beautiful...we have the same problem here, no rain caused the leaves to drop, and warm weather inhibited the color. Still pretty green here, or bare!

Sharon, beautiful pics, and food. We have a Portuguese friend who always brings us chorizo. I love it grilled.

I made Shrimp in wine sauce served over linguine on a bed of baked spinach and ricotta. A slice of ciabatta garlic bread...

And here is the HUGE cupcake, Wilton's new pan...made it for my gkids for Halloween..

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Michelle, you know that roast chicken is my favourite dinner. Your roaster is so cute and your dinner looks delicious.

Kathleen, now that is one amazing cupcake.

I had a craving for chicken wings last night. And fries.

And tonight we had Hungarian Goulash with spaetzle and braised red cabbage. I put the goulash on to cook before leaving for work this morning and Moe just had to turn off the stove when the timer went off.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Both your rack of veal and your oxtails look wonderful Ann. I've been thinking about oxtails too, almost bought some at the Asian market a few days ago.

Kahthleen, your shrimp on the spinach and linguine looks wonderful. How did you make it? I hope you and our other NE friends will have calm weather and not too much cleanup tomorrow.

I made No Knead Bread for the second time today, using a slightly tweaked recipe, with a little whole wheat flour in it.

We also had a lentil soup with chestnuts in it. It isn't really a soup kind of weekend here, temps right around 70 and very sunny all day, but I wanted to try the soup.

Lee

• happygram
    16 years ago

Hi Kathleen,

Your cupcake cake looks great. I received the cake pan as a gift and need some help. What is the cake recipe you'd use for filling both sides of this pan? Does it hold a "regular" cake mix size? I'd love a recipe and any tips you can think of to make a cake like yours.
    Thanks so much.

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great looking dinners Ann! Oxtails and goulash must have been delicious. We also love red cabbage.

Michelle I love the photo of the chicken lying in his pot and the gravy and mashed potatoes look perfect! Sometimes I wish I were still making Christmas fruitcakes.....I do miss the aroma of the fruit soaking in rum MMMM.....and then later, wrapping the cakes in brandy-soaked cheesecloths...it always smelled so good!

Kathleen - oh shrimp and linguine - how I love that!

Lee I bet the chestnuts were good in your lentil soup. Great looking bread too. Your photos taken against the dark wood table are beautiful!

Friday I made frozen fish medallions....after searching in our local supermarket fresh fish dept and not finding a suitable white fish for lunch....I chose hake medallions ....frozen in the fishing boats so they were really fresh and good. I basted them first with some of my homemade pesto and then dredged them in ground almond flour.....I love doing this as it's healthy and tasty at the same time. This brand of fish was so good....the fillets were so thick....that I kept the front of the package and will look for them again. My doctor also recommended buying frozen white fish over fresh for health reasons.

More steamed vegetables....potatoes, yam, carrots, broccoli and leek.

The next day we went out for lunch....I decided to have a wiener schnitzel and enjoy the chips too. Wolf had the pork in mushroom gravy that I had there a few days ago. He took some extra sauerkraut as well.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Lee, how was the soup with the chestnuts? Good enough to share the recipe?

Sharon, I love your pictures as always! Looks like that mannequin got mixed up with a bad crowd, LOL.

Last night we had grilled lamb chops, mashed rutabagas, scalloped potatoes (with more than a touch of nutmeg - I kind of overdid the nutmeg but they tasted great), and salad (well of course) and I used up the last of Jessy's chutney dressing that I made for the Martini Mayhemers and topped the salad with some Maytag blue cheese - I think it goes so great with a vinaigrette and was also perfect on top of Jessy's dressing!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, I could go for that goulash right now!

Lee, I answered re the shrimp on GB. I haven't made the no knead bread yet, I am chicken!

Sharon, your weather sounds great, enjoy!

Happygram, I will email you about the HUGE cupcake. Let me know if you get it!

Last night DH made roast pork loin, butternut squash and roasted potatoes.
    I used Nancy's vodka crust recipe for an apple pie.
    I also made chicken soup with pasta.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm not sure what I want more. Your wiener schnitzel or Wolf's pork with mushroom sauce.

Kathleen, I'd be happy with your dinner, from soup to dessert. And I wouldn't say no to Woodie's lamb either.

Lee gorgeous loaf of bread.

Moe loved last night's red cabbage so much that he requested it again tonight. Only this time he wanted it on top of his burger. Didn't appeal to me but he raved about it. I just had my burger topped with tomatoes, lettuce and onions.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

LOL Woodie, I deviated so much from the recipe for the lentil soup that it would be pointless to post it. And I have mixed feelings about it. Yesterday the chestnuts stood out in a really nice way; today the soup itself was much better as is typical with lots of legume soups but the chestnuts absorbed so much of the soup flavors that they almost disappeared and no lnger had a contrast of flavor or texture. I think the good things about the recipe were the Port that I subbed for the white wine - it just seemed appropriate to have a more robust wine, and the sour cream and crisp bacon garnishes were really nice in the soup. I don't think I would add chestnuts again; I love chestnuts but this may not be the best way to use them.

Kathleen, I did see your post on the shrimp-spinach/ricotta-linguine and it sounds really good to me. Thank you.

Here's a quick repost of what I said on my birthday thread about our dinner out tonight. For starters we had Caesar salad and homemade gnocchi with a delicate oven roasted tomato sauce and mozzarella bocconcini. I wish I could make gnocchi as tender as those were, oh geez, I wish I could make any kind of gnocchi. We both had braised pork osso bucco with figs and ragout of flagelets. We had the same dessert too, a divine chocolate truffle torte with fresh raspberries and blackberries, robed with a lavender syrup. We finished with a pot of French press decaf and talk of a little Port later at home.

Hmm, I know I have to think of something for dinner tomorrow but right now my mind is blank. Maybe I'll take my cue from your great looking burger Ann, or Kathleen's shrimp and pasta.
    Lee

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Kathleen, Your shrimp in wine sauce - spinach/ricotta over linguine looks delicious. Where did you post the recipe? I did a search and couldn't find it, but I must admit the many great pictures and recipes did sidetrack me. If you would be so kind to direct me to it, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Oh My! Everything looks so yummy!

Michelle I just love those side plates!! Those recipes holders are adorable as well.

Sol your crumpets looks amazing. I am going to try those the same time I make the english muffins.

Monique your photos are beautiful as usual and I love those dessert spoons. Another added to my list of things to try.

Sharon always enjoy reading about your meals and looking at your wonderful photos!

Lee your soup looks wonderful, as does your no Knead bread. I really want a glazed cast iron pan so I can make some..I love bread!

AnnT, I would kill for that burger right about now! All your meals looks amazing.

My son had some mouth surgery done last week, so I have been cooking lots of soft foods lately , so nothing to inspiring. I did make a pumpkin brulee and some pumpkin muffins with a maple cream cheese frosting that turned out to be real keepers. My husband so love the brulee, although I had to leave the sugar topping off of my sons.
    Last week I was at a cookbook signing for David Adjey's new book "de/constructing the dish". Really Interesting and unique recipes, but not without alot of prep and work. (He's a really cool guy. Had cooked for Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, and was personal chef to Dan Aykroyd)
    Last night I made from his book, a pork tenderloin that was roasted with a molasses, lemon zest, cumin glaze and served with a dried apple cider vinegar sauce, along with crepes filled with a sherried thyme caramelized onion mixture (to which I added some leftover delicata squash). Was supposed to served with cinnamom roasted carrots, but my husband hates cooked carrots, so I served it with some broccolli and cheese sauce, and brown fried rice which I added a pinch of five spice to bring out the cinnamony flavor the carrots would have had. The dinner was wonderful, especially the crepes! Next from his book I want to try an oxtail recipe (which will be new to me as I have never had them before). Ann I see that you've made them and really enjoy them. Are they kind of like a short rib in texture/fattiness?
    Yesterday I also went to another cookbook signing. This one was Christine Cushing and her new book "Pure Food". She
    is much tinier in person, and a great lady, very personnable! Her book looks wonderful, as do the pictures. More everyday type cooking. I am really looking forward to trying some of her recipes out. She also markets her own line of tomato sauce and olive oil. The olive oil was wonderful (so I broke down and bought some), very fruity tasting and fresh,didn't try the tomato sauce however.

BTW, if you haven't tried delicata (I think that is what it is called), you really must try some. It is wonderful, a little sweet with almost a corn like taste. My husband really doesn't care for squash, and I have been trying all differant kinds this week, (my son loves it), and this was by far his favorite!

Shelley

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Shelley, yes, I would say that oxtails are similar in fattiness to a short rib. The texture is maybe a little more tender. It will also depend on the size of oxtails. I prefer the little ones but I know that most people seem to buy the bigger pieces. There is more fat on the big pieces.

Hope your son is on the mend.

Ann

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Hi Ann and Shelley --

Just to join in here -- I made oxtails for the first time a week or two ago... I looooved them! And Ann -- I agree I liked the little ones the best! My husband found them very fatty, but I didn't -- I felt most of the fat had melted off and not much was left on the meat itself.

So so good -- I cooked them long and slow with onions, garlic, diced carrot, red wine, crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, parsley, and fresh thyme... Served with mashed potatoes...

Emily

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well I still have not done a lot of cooking but somehow we are eating and not going out. One dish recently was a hurry up use of Trader Joe's Tajine sauce tho they may spell it Tagine. I liked it but Dick found it quite tart. I do like tart and added olives to mine tho I saw a little one cooked away in the sauce. I also added minced apricots to the couscous and a good handful of chopped chives.

The weather is still mild enough that the basil is still out but it is on its final days. I think I may clip it all tonight and maybe try to root some for indoor use. I have good success with lemongrass in the winter and my basil tends to sprout in the summer so it's worth a try.

Yesterday we went to a fundraiser Crab Feast. Very late in the year but they are served year round here..mostly with crabs from 'away'. Sharon ...here is the REAL use for Old Bay seasoning. I shake most of it off tho some people dip the crabmeat right into the OB...cardiologist should be on autodial! ;-)

Tonight...a bought Chipolte Turkey pieces for fajitas or ??? I may do that or maybe just noodles. I've got the butter softening for banana cupcakes...the ones with choc and cream cheese icing. I should forget the cupcakes..and stick to the icing...LOL. Maureen

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Everything looks so yummy...

I'm ready for a nice big meal.

Doing it all Wheat Free..

Lasagna..made with Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles and Ground turkey.
    It'll have ricotta, mozzerella and parm, maybe a tiny touch of some other cheese in the drawer!
    I just printed out a recipe for Gluten Free French bread, and I have all the ingredients..so going to start that in a bit.

I've got some baby romaine leaves and a few other things for a salad.

Dessert..might be a Flourless chocolate Cake...

But I'll also make some cupcakes or muffins for the guys.
    I've got a cup each of Sweet potato and Applesauce that needs to get used up. Throw a bit of frosting on the top..and they'll be happy campers..

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

I knew better than to take a peek in here before leaving for home at the end of the workday; I'm starving!!!

Ann, Nancy and Michelle: All that meat is making my mouth water. I could go for it all right now. I have a roast defrosting in the refrigerator that will just have to make it to the dinner table this week.

This weekend I made some simple gnocchi (sp?) from leftover mashed potatoes and a pasta sauce from Marcella Hazan's book "The Essentials of Italian Cooking". I love her recipes; they're all very authentic and delish.

I also jumped on board with the No Knead party. Lovely bread and I plan to make more this week. Steve and I used the bread with some homemade cream of mushroom soup. For some reason, I couldn't find a plain old cream of mushroom soup recipe anywhere in my recipe cache. All the ones I had were fancy schmancy things and I didn't feel like messing with them. I had to resort to one of my old Betty Crocker Picture Cookbooks from the 1950s!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

mag...email me, you don't have one listed.
    Monique had posted some meat pies that looked very good. It is a Christmas tradition in Canada. So I found litte tart pans on sale in WmsONOMA OUTLET, and I made some little apple pies with them...

And I made some indiv chicken pot pies, Sol showed us hers with the letters cut out...so I made a few of those, and then one w/o letters for the smart people who can figure out what they are eating, LOL!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

It looks so yummy...

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Ann, that burger is beautiful, even before breakfast! I must make them this week!

Lee, gnocchi sounds so good. That is one thing I have never attempted to make. Maybe I should, then I won't have to drool every time someone mentions it.

Shelley, pumpkin brulee, pumpkin muffins with maple frosting; doesn't that sound yummy!

Hi, Emily, haven't seen you around much lately!

Maureen, your tagine sounds wonderful; but ohhhh those crabs! I wish I lived near the coast, I miss good seafood, so much.

Terri, lasagna with brown rice noodles? Sounds interesting, where do you get the noodles? Flourless chocolate cake, yum!

Kathleen, love your potpies.....I haven't seen any of those little pie plates for years...cute!

I found a new recipe that kept screaming "try me, try me"; chicken with vanilla and garlic veloute. Very glad I was brave enough to try it, as we really liked it. Sounds a very unlikely combination, vanilla and garlic, but it really goes well together. It was deemed a keeper, even if the sauce was a little on the thin side.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Thanks Ann and Emily. I will try the oxtails this week and let you know what we thought of them. Ann, yes my son is on the mend, thankyou.

Kathleen your pies look wonderful!

Marigene could you please post your recipe for vanilla chicken? I saw it mentioned somewhere else as well, and they also really liked it.

Last night was leftovers, hopefully tonight will be something better.

Shelley

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Marigene, the noodles came from TJ's I think...might have come from my local store too..Hmmmm Gotta think about that for a bit! LOL The noodles were fine..but were a little soft by the end of cooking..the directions said they'll stay firm even fully cooked before lasagna bake..but next time, I'll cook them a little less.

Didn't get the flourless chocolate cake made lastnight..did make sweetpotato applesauce muffins for the guys though.

I do have a picture of lastnights dinner..but gotta run for the rest of the day...I'll be back this afternoon...

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

I realize it was posted a while ago, but hand up for the Châtelaine Lemon Pistachio Loaf. Is that recipe posted somewhere? That would be a lovely change at Hospice. (They seem to be stuck in a rut with sugar cookies right now. I'm trying to break them of that.)

Three other things:
    1. I shouldn't look at this thread. It induces cravings like whoa! I really shouldn't look at it when my dinner is a chicken sandwich.
    2. My compliments on the quality of the photography. Wow. It's worthy of a magazine. (Actually better than some mags I've seen lately.
    3. #253? 253! Holy smoke! That just boggles my mind.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Beanthere, here is the recipe that Monique posted over on Gardenbuddies. Monique's picture accompanying the recipe is definitely magazine cover worthy.

On-the-go lemon loaf with pistachios
    Flecks of green pistachios make this luscious lemon loaf even more appealing. The sweet-tart lemon glaze helps keep the bread incredibly moist.

220 calories
    Preparation time 15 minutes
    Baking Time 55 minutes
    Makes 16 slices

1-3/4 cups
    (425 mL) all-purpose flour
    1 tsp
    (5 mL) baking powder
    1/2 tsp
    (2 mL) salt
    1 lemon
    1 cup
    (250 mL) coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
    1/2 cup
    (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1-1/4 cups
    (300 mL) granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp
    (5 mL) vanilla
    2/3 cup
    (150 mL) milk
    1.Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly oil or spray a 9x5-inch (2-L) loaf pan. In a medium-size bowl, using a fork, stir flour with baking powder and salt. Grate peel from lemon, then stir in. Coarsely chop nuts. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup (250 mL) sugar until well mixed, 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, vanilla and milk. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until batter is moist. Stir in nuts. Do not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Smooth top.
    2.Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until deep golden brown and a cake tester or skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Meanwhile, squeeze 3 tbsp (45 mL) juice from lemon into a small bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar. It won't completely dissolve. When loaf is baked, remove pan to a rack. Using a cake tester or skewer, immediately poke several holes in top of loaf. Brush or drizzle half of lemon glaze over hot loaf. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then run a knife around inside of pan to loosen loaf. Carefully turn out loaf, then turn top side up on a rack. Evenly brush or drizzle remaining lemon glaze overtop. Great warm or at room temperature. Or cool completely, then wrap in plastic, then foil. Bread will keep well at room temperature 1 day or refrigerate up to a week or freeze up to 2 months.
    Packed To Go Slice bread, then place on a plastic tray and wrap in plastic. Or store in a covered container.
    Courtesy of Chatelaine magazine .

*****My notes..

I wrapped this bread quite tightly almost as soon as it was cooled..This morning it was as moist as can be..and lemony luscious.I added some lemon juice to the batter also as I love the taste of lemons.

Monique Quebec Zone 5

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I have a major craving for a chicken pot pie thanks to you. Your's look sooooo goood.

Marigene, I wish Moe and I liked vanilla in savory dishes because your dinner looks delicious. But for me vanilla is one of those flavours that I only like in desserts/sweets.

We had TEX MEX for dinner last night. Pork Chili verde over flour tortillas filled with cheese and onions and a side of chili beans, salsa and guacamole. I used the tortilla warmer that Gina sent me the last swap to keep the tortillas warm while the others baked.

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Thank you, Ann.

I volunteered at Hospice today and got home much later than I expected. It's also chilly and windy here today. I am craving simple comfort food. A piping hot baked potato with topped with sauteed peppers and mushrooms and a bowl of tomato soup will hit the spot.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

We had an easy dinner.
    Chicken fingers and french fries.
    The boys had corn nibblets, and I had shoe string beets and a salad.
    The chicken fingers were coated in Almond meal seasoned with Penzey's Northwoods Fire..Yummmy...

Dessert will be a bread pudding made with leftover Gluten Free French Bread, dried cherries and chocolate..covered with sweetend custard and baking now...

Ann, I love Mexican..gonna have to figure out how to enjoy it wheat and corn free...

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, the pot pie without the letters is yours, I know you don't need your food labeled. LOL.
    Marigene, I have never seen a recipe with chicken and vanilla, sounds very interesting.
    Beanthere, I hope you enjoyed your dinner after a hard day at Hospice.
    I was out all day, so I brought home Pizza, Wed special, LOL

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations