Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanut Butter Recall Expanded

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 6:01

Received this alert today....Seems the recall includes products made as far back as 2010 (due to long shelf life) and more of the private label brands as well.
Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm322747.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peanut Butter Recall Expanded

Sorry to hear about the recall, but glad it didn't include JIF.

o

This reminds me of the Peter Pan scare, a couple years ago.
What's with this 'throw it out' directive by the manufacturer? How about a REFUND !!!!

o

a follow-up: I subscribed to the government's food safety recall alerts without realizing that I would get several, yes several alerts each and every day! Thankfully most have been on brands and things I don't buy, never heard of, etc. but it certainly has me wondering "what the heck is going on with our food supply". Also, how do the people who do use those brands/products find out that there is a potential problem with something they have bought? From the alerts regarding the peanut butter, I still get a few each day because that particular peanut butter is used in a whole lot of stuff and it all has been recalled. everything from soups to baked items, in stuff from grocery stores to restaurants.
Totally agree lbpod, what about a refund!
Murphy

o

Thank you for posting this! We always have peanut butter in our pantry so I checked and, sure 'nuff', found an unopened jar listed on the recall list. My husband said we already ate a jar purchased at the same time, probably with the same code, and we lived to tell about it but we'll return this jar to Costco. We like the Kirkland brand -- just peanut butter and nothing else.

o

Jenn - we are in exactly the same position. DH checked and our Kirkland natural peanut butter (just Valencia peanuts, no homogenizers, stabilizers or anything else) was on the list. DH is addicted to the stuff, so he's trying to rationalize keeping it instead of turning it in to Costco.

Cheryl

o

Cheryl - Return it! There are other peanut butters out there; it's not worth the risk. My new favorite snack using PB is a big spoonful drizzled with honey. :)

We don't understand the need to add anything to peanut butter, like sugar or additional fat (why?!?!?).

o

They add sugar and additional fat because they take out all the peanut oil. Look at the ingredients of most of the popular brands, no peanut oil at all--palm oil, in most cases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here