Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you 'flatten out' parchment paper on a roll?

Posted by sooz (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 2:22

I have a roll of parchment paper, and of course, when I cut it to the size I want to use, any time I want to put it in a baking sheet or baking pan or loaf pan, it rolls up on itself.

I've tried folding it "with" the way it rolls and folding it "against" the way it rolls. I've tried flattening it overnight between two cookie sheets, and I've tried folding it into fours... it still rolls up on me.

I know I could put a dab of something in the corners to hold it down, but the *paper memory* of the "roll" is so strong, I'd have to use industrial strength something! I know I could put some kind of weighted item in the corners but when they are removed, the paper rolls over or under onto the cookies or whatever, depending on how I've laid down the parchment paper.

I just want to cut a bunch of papers to size and get them to lay flat.

Am I missing something?? Thanks for any help, suggestions, stories, or jokes about this!

Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you 'flatten out' parchment paper on a roll?

When I bought parchment on the roll, I just sprinkled a little water on the baking sheet first, then laid the paper on it and smoothed it a little. It stays flat enough to put your cookie dough on it or whatever else you're baking on it.

I started buying pre-cut sheets at King Arthur Flour site. A lot less hassle!

Lori

o

I used a few drops of cooking oil on the cookie sheet at where the corners and under the center where the paper would lie, press the paper down and it stayed.

Otherwise, I would iron it first LOL.

SharonCb

o

I just offset the curl by pulling it between the counter and my forearm. Not perfect but good enough.

I'd love to buy the KA sheets, but even with their recent free shipping offer (normally $10 for ground - yikes!!!) the square foot price is twice that of a roll in the supermarket.

o

I've always just turned it upside down on the cookie sheet. It's never the same size as my sheet anyway, so I have to fold the sides under anyway, which kind of helps, too. But laying it on the sheet with the curl going down has worked for me. Then when I put whatever I'm putting onto the sheet, it's held in place. I wash the parchment after use and used it several times, until it's worn out completely, to save money. Once it's dried, I fold it up for storage, and the curl is completely gone.

Sally

o

I roll it the other way....but usually I cut it off too long ( not on purpose!) and fold under the edges....then QUICK!!! put something on it!
Linda C

o

Like Linda C, I tend to put it on the baking sheet then quickly put cookie dough on top of it, to hold it down.

and, like Sally, I use parchment more than once. After it's used once, it's flat!

Annie

o

Two observations:

Amazon has precut 13 x 18 parchment paper sheets--a box of 100 sheets for $11 plus $9 shipping. That's 20 cents each--not cheap, but not as high as King Arthur. Don't know the quality, but it has good reviews from the users.

I use parchment paper to make 'collars' for souffles (because you don't have to butter them like you would foil), and you can use the curl to your advantage. Tear off a piece of paper a couple of inches longer than the circumference of the souffle dish. Fold it lengthwise and cut or tear the paper down the fold. Stand it on the factory edge vertically, allowing it to curl on itself, place the buttered souffle dish within the curl and secure the paper to the souffle dish with string. (To be sure, I usually call in the DW to help me wrestle with it, but at least you're using the curl as an advantage rather than an impediment.)

Here is a link that might be useful: parchment sheets

o

FOAS :
That's an old paperhangers thing, done on the edge of the Paste Table. Did it all day long.

Sooz:
Don't believe him , it works good.

Leave it on the Roll
If you are right handed , pull out what you need,holding the roll in your right hand.
Lay the piece; hanging out, on a table or worktop.
Square edge is better, than a round edge top.

Lay your arm across the paper, near the edge of the table and pull the paper down and out.

If you arm is too small, use something to hold the paper down like a Plastic Wrap Box or stick.

Takes 2 seconds.

Then you can do the oil or water thing.

LOU

o

LOL...I do what LindaC does...LOL

o
PS: How do you 'flatten out' parchment paper on a roll?

Terri: ?????

o

Wonderful ideas, everyone! Thanks for the recommendations (and info about the shipping!) for the precut ones!

I may have to start making more souffles to "work with the curl." LOL

Smiles,
Sooz

o

I'll sometimes weigh down the unruly ends with pieces of flatware, especially if using convection cooking...forks and spoons work well. But when I finish my current roll, I'll start using the individual sheets I bought from a kitchen supply store. Then the problem I'll have is where to store the sheets so I won't have to move a ton of things to get at them!

o

I just buy a box of full-sheet pan liners at my local restaurant wholesaler too. I think it was $30 for a box of 1000 liners (so 2000 liners for my half sheet pans). I keep the big box in a sealed bag out in the garage. I just cut them in half with my shears and have a stack in my kitchen drawer ready to go. Plus I was able to share some with Deanna! If you have a wholesaler in your area this could be a good investment.

o

I whack it into submission with a baseball bat. Wood, not aluminum (too loud.)

Does it work? Not really, but immensely satisfying in terms of stress relief.

o

Well, Lou, I tried it your way "Lay your arm across the paper, near the edge of the table and pull the paper down and out" and darn thing just couldn't help curling anyway! I used a square edge for doing it, too!

I might have to dig up the old wooded baseball bat (LOL).

Once I run out of this roll, I may opt for flat parchment sheets.

:O)
Sooz

o

Years ago, I made cardboard templates of my baking sheets, loaf pan, and cake pans. One night when I'm mindlessly watching TV, I'll cut a roll into the correct sizes and rewrap them with the curl going the other way on the roll, and secure with rubber bands.

I usually sprinkle a little water on the pan before smoothing the parchment on it.

o

Sooz:
Sorry it didn't work for you.
Ruthanna:
That sounds good.
Maybe you could Iron them flat ?

Think I better lay down for a while.
Lou

o

How do you wash it, to be able to use it again? Just plain water?

o

I rip off a sheet to fit the pan or sheet I'm using. I then use my fingernails to make folds against the roll of the paper. I then place it on said baking sheet. It's not high-tec, but always works :-)

o

Yes she did! Bri's a sweetie........but don't tell anybody, it'll ruin her image!! LOL
I cut them in half with an old rotary cutter from my quilting supplies, folded in half (loosely) and they fit perfectly in a Franzia wine box.........which I just happened to have lying around.
My cookie sheets and cooling racks sit on top and I can pull out just what I need.
I used the roll stuff before and did what Lou said, then put the curl down on the cookie sheet and loaded it up. After the first run through the oven, it didn't curl anymore.
That said, the flat is easier.

Thanks again, Bri!!
Deanna

o

Sooz:
I know this would work.

It flattened the Chicken Cutlets.
LOU

o

I also put it on the cookie sheet "curl down" and brush the cookie sheet with water (using silicone pastry brush) if I need to. I tried using it in a loaf pan once and that was no fun... just discovered baker's joy and now I only use parchment for things on a cookie sheet.

o

"I know this would work.
It flattened the Chicken Cutlets.
LOU"

WHO, but Lou, would come up with this ! ! ! LOLOLOLOL! !

Rusty

o

Rusty:
I thought I was the only nut on the CF. LOL !!!

Glad they worked something out, to flatten the paper

It was a pain bring that Asphalt Roller in the kitchen and
it would flatten the Cookie tins also.

Lou

o
PS: paper on a roll? Tips

I forgot the tip of the day !!!

Use clips; on the edge of the Pan, to hold the Paper still,
Until you get whatever on the Paper.

Or put a weight ( Butter knife, etc.) on the Paper, until.
Lou

o

Okay, you have me avoiding any liquids when I read this thread! It's been hilarious!!!!

Smiles,
Sooz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here