Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whipped Heavy Cream

Posted by dancinglemons (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 2:19

Hello all,

For years I tried to get heavy cream to hold a stiff whip for cakes and other items. I can get the cream to whip nicely and stay whipped for about 30 minutes and then it deflates. I could not get any recipe to work.

Recently I started using "Pasteurized Heavy Cream" with the ONLY INGREDIENT "Cream"!! Not another ingredient!! No preservatives, no carrageenan nothing -- Just cream!! Not Ultra Pasteurized - just plain pasteurized. Voila!!! I use a drop or two of vanilla extract (pure w/o HFCS) and 1tsp per 1/2 pint of cream. You must whip to stiff peaks and be REALLY careful not to make butter :-))

My cream stays whipped and is that way the next day!!

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whipped Heavy Cream

It's very, very hard to find. I'm always on the lookout for cream that's not ultrapasteurized, for the flavor, and for making crme fraiche.
The butterfat content can vary in either type. And that's the main thing determining how well it whips.

o

I always stabilize my whip cream with gelatin packets if I need to keep it a long period of time.

o

I find that using organic cream, and just enough sugar to
give it a sweetness...it will hold in a glass bowl with plastic wrap for 3-4 days..by the later days there will be a bit of water under the "whip"...but still tasty and fluffy. (and I use vanilla sugar~little sugar bowl with a vanilla bean that I add sugar too as it's depleted)

o

I have never been able to find anything other than ultra-pastuerized. Any suggestions on where to find it?

o

I get my pasteurized cream from W H O L E F O O D S and from T R A D E R J O E. Our local markets occasionally have organic heavy cream but when it is in stock all of the local cooking bloggers post about it and zippppp it's gone!!

You still must look at the label because both WF and TJ sell heavy cream with additives AND they also sell ultrapasteurized heavy cream.

Thanks for the tip about gelatin - when next I need the cream to 'stay put' longer I will try gelatin.

DL

o

Wouldn't a pinch of cream of tartar help? There is also a product from Dr. Oetker, a German company, called "Whip it" that will stabalize cream. I find it in more ethnic markets, such as the Polish ones here in Chicago.

o

dancinglemons - Thank You for telling us where to buy pasteurized! Both stores are fairly local for me but I rarely shop at either so I did't know that. And I've been looking, because that's what my ricotta recipe calls for.

Peppi - I believe you're thinking of egg whites.

o

If I want my whipped cream to remain fluffy for a couple of days, I start with my KA mixer, but finish it with my balloon whisk. Hand-whisking makes for a more stable whipped cream, amazingly enough. I can whip it to soft peaks and not have to overwhip it to hold its volume.

I agree, organic heavy cream is best. Some supermarkets here even have their own house brand of it, some of which is pretty darn good.

o

I prefer UHT cream (the shelf-stable kind), though I actually store it in the back of my refrigerator so I don't have to remember to chill it for 24 hours pre-use. I like the mouth feel better, but it is almost impossible to whip to butter and stays stable for days without weeping either.

o

Colleen, it's very hard to find aseptically sealed milk products here. I've been looking for some recently.

o

If you have to keep the whipped cream for awhile it will last longer if you put it in a fine sieve over a bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here