SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Leftover pickling mixture /beans smell like rotten eggs

angiepangie
10 years ago

Hello,

A few weeks ago I canned some dilly beans- cold process, meant to be eaten within a few days. I have a quart of pickling mixture left over so I stuck it in the fridge.

I put up my beans by running jars and lids on sanitary cycle in washer, blanched me beans and carrots, and put them in jars, filled with hot vinegar mixture :

1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
sugar to taste
1 tsp salt, iodized sea salt

into each jar:

mustard seed
garlic clove
bay leaf

Ate some beans that night, they were good. Ate beans for 3 days. On the 4th day- beans had an off odor, like rotten eggs. They tasted ok so I stupidly ate them thinking nothing could be wrong as they were not even a week old. I was sick- not horribly so but I was sick. I threw the rest out.I figured something was off in the veg.

Fast forward to that leftover pickling mixture...just vinegar/sugar/salt- nothing else- never touched the vegetables- I cleared it out of the fridge today, 1 month later and there was some white ick growing in the bottom of the jar. When I poured it out it smelled very badly of sulfer/rotten eggs. So something was wrong with my mixture.

I've been reading about listeria and a kind of concerned. I don't know what I did wrong. This is the procedure I do for beets. I don't worry about hot processing because whatever I am making is eaten within a week. I leave leftovers of all kinds in my fridge for a week and eat it- you'd think something in what essentially amounts to salad dressing would be ok. Any ideas?

Comments (4)