SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner - #315

ann_t
13 years ago

We had wontons for dinner last night. Homemade pork wontons two ways. Wonton soup and spicy chili wontons.

Tonight's dinner was Lemon Seared Scallops on Wonton Crisps.

Comments (100)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ann - awesome looking cheesesteaks, but is that really cheese whiz???? Talk about going the authentic route! LOL! I love mine "wit whiz" but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of you having a jar of "flourescent processed cheese food" in your kitchen. And no offense intended at all :D

FOAS - great job! I would happily eat either one, and I'm glad your wife enjoyed them... but the real test is.... did the offspring like them? We ended up with pizza last night too, but I got it from the little hottie at the pizzaria next to the farmers market. He makes the trip worthwhile all by himself, but they were running a "spooky special" last night - all medium pies up to 3 toppings were only $5 each. I probably should have taken a picture of him for the thread. LOLOLOL!

Lou - The chicken looks good, but were you out of plates? I can't imagine eating off a cafeteria tray.

Alexa

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Here is the scallops and fritter picture. Just because I finally remembered the "memory" card (maybe I should call it the forget it card, since I never remember it :)

This weekend, I caved and finally made huevos rancheros from scratch. It was pretty good. I kept seeing it places, not the least of which was Ann T's son's girlfriend's blog, and so I got inspired. I used Emeril Lagasse's recipe. He may be a different "cut of meat", but he sure knows how to use spices, and I trust him there. It didn't turn me down. I'd never seen it layered with the tortilla on the bottom, then beans, then eggs, then sauce, (not in California nor in Tennessee), until Danalicious, but Emeril's was like that too. As you can see from the layers, it's awesome that way. Most put the cheese on the eggs, but I put it on the beans. Yum!!!

• Related Discussions

Quote Monday 3/15

Q

Comments (6)
    My next door neighbor and I shared a cat for years. Her name was Buttercup. She would come for breakfast to our house, sleep in her special chair for a couple of hours, go back to "her" garden next door to catch a few rays, then show up for a nap when the sun was just right in our garden. We did not serve dinner so she went to the other house for dinner and slept in the garage for the night. When the end came near my neighbor and I shared in Buttercup's end.
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 3/15 thru Wed. 3/17

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi Guys: John - Count me in on the "guys" weekend too. You know how I love golf and a steak!!!! Patti - glad to hear you got your parcel, hope it was all in one piece. Just in case I'm not back on the 20th. Happy, Happy Birthday. French Licks - still get a kick out of the name (but my DD likes it more) - I have no preference, I will fly out of Detroit to where ever this place is located. Keep your fingers crossed, just finished all the boob crunching and ultrasound. Hoping the lump in right one proves to be "nothing". Will report in. Liver lesions are being left alone, aparently nothing to worry about. MRI on liver showed the lesion in the breast. Not sure if I told you about this, but thought I'd better let you all know what's happening. (John, too much info I know) DH has now found the "right" fit yet for a job. Hopefully something will come along soon as he is driving everyone nuts. (but the meals are fabulous). He is cooking completely SS and have all trimmed down some. (He's only 158 lbs., so he really doesn't need to be trimmed) I have to figure out how to send pictures so they can be posted, is it Marci who is taking care of that? I'll check in later. Take care Joanne
    ...See More

Can I fit 2 bedrooms & a 3/4 bath in space 31.5 x 13?

Q

Comments (16)
    Throughout the years as we have worked on the house, we have been very cautious and done everything possible to do sensitive renovations that fit the period of the house. I too hate to see lovely old houses where people have butchered them. In fact, last night as I was once again watching "Flip or Flop" on HGTV I thought to myself how sad that they are coming in and just rearing down all of those great lathe and plaster walls. We have three kids, and our "illegal" bedroom worked as a bedroom for one of them for ten years. We just stuck a wardrobe in one corner, so we know all about using a space that isn't technically a bedroom as a bedroom. Now it makes a great office, something else that I would think might be desirable to a lot of people. We know for certain that in our neighborhood a master bath would be a huge selling point. In fact, about five years ago, a Realtor told us that this is the only thing our house is lacking. I am starting to think that there is just not enough space in the existing footprint to justify doing this. We know that many people do want move-in ready which would make doing this a selling point. However, amazingly enough, in our highly desirable neighborhood many people do buy these expensive houses and then come in and make extensive renovations like additions. We always ask ourselves where in the world do they get the money to make a purchase that expensive and then immediately also sink a ton of money in the house. Thanks for all of the help.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Last night my sons came up for dinner with mom. We started out with a local beer, Natty Greene Golden Ale and made pot stickers using Alton Brown's recipe. My guys took turns filling and sealing the dumplings using my new press I bought in Philly's Chinatown while I browned them, then added in some chicken broth to steam them. I had two dipping sauces, nuoc mam and a ginger sauce. Actually, we ate too many of the pot stickers, they were so good! Next time I think I'll make the more traditional Asian ingredient pot stickers, but Alton's recipe is quite good.

Dinner was a spicy orange stir-fried beef and broccoli - unremarkable - and Indonesian fried rice, nasi goreng flavored with the kecap manis that Sherry sent me. Dessert was grocery store gelato, pistachio and key lime with graham cracker crumbs. We liked the pistachio best.

Alexa, we sampled the Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar - it is delicious! Soon to be in a fall salad!

• riverrat1
    13 years ago

OK guys! I have no pictures to share but I need to tell you all that everyone's food looks damn good! Jimster...I'm a comin to your house to eat! Ann, I'm gonna make those Philly Cheese thingys very soon! Yikes! They look good!

We are eating our usual low fat, yummy good food! I'm down about 25 lbs. and spluge once a week! FOAS, I'm making that pizza next time we have a free night! Yum!

• jimster
    13 years ago

"Jimster...I'm a comin to your house to eat! "

It's awfully nice of you to say that. If you had shown up for dinner tonight it would have been frozen pizza. I got hungry early and couldn't wait for myself to cook me my dinner. The pizza wasn't very good but it filled me up. I wish it had been FOAS'a pizza.

I've been admiring Ann's sandwiches and Rob's scallops and thinking about Huevos Rancheros. I may make a series of egg dishes including Huevos Rancheros Rob's style and a few of the many variations on Eggs Benedict.

Jim

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Annie, Good biscuits make the dinner, and you make better than good biscuits. Everyone makes meat loaf; your meat loaf sets the benchmark. I would like to have a slice and, while I am eating I will play the song,”Heaven Can Wait”, my favorite song by Meat Loaf.

FOAS, your Philly Cheesesteak sammy (sorry) is very authentic. I think all Philly sandwiches should be served in tin foil wrappings. Taste better that way. You pizzas look great. I am proposing a rule here, all pizzas presented here must stipulate if the dough is stretched or rolled and how many days in the refrigerator. 

Rob333, your scallops and fritter is what I am used to seeing on magazine covers.

Ann_t, I see a problem with your Chicken Paprikash with a side of spaetzle and pot roast. They look so good I am afraid that the next 20 posts form others would be the same recipes. Everyone will want to copy yours.

Jim, eggplant with cardoon, an odd couple, but you have made the marriage rather harmonious and delicious. Also, I am sure many people will thank you for introducing this unusual green that is both nutritious and delectable.

Sooz, your Creamy Shrimp, Crab, and Corn Chowder will humble the Soup Nazi. You say it tasted yummy, I say it also looks yummy.

Lori, your Butternut Squash with Cannellini Beans & Bacon soup and Creamy Polenta and Mushrooms definitely win my two thumbs up. Three thumbs, if I had three thumbs.

Lou, Chicken Fingers made from Chicken Breasts! That’s what I called genetic engineering. LOL. To answer Alexa’s question, you food is always so delicious that I would end up eating the plate also.
    --------------------------

I shared a meal with a friend who is sensitive to gluten. So I made short rib and beets on Chinese rice lasagna noodles.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Dcarch:
    Your's looks better !!! I took a bite out of the one on the left.

Alexa:
    Sorry I thought I put in an answer to your comment, about the Dishes. Must have not hit Submit

Damn!!! I missed hitting a lot of things lately.

Did you have to make it obvious, that I ran out of dishes.

Actually , someone said they liked the Blue background, so I used it again.
    And the food looks less on the big tray, so I'm cutting down on the amount of Calories.
    I'll try to be more careful, how I take my Photo's.

But actually , Like Clark Gable said,
    " Frankly, my dear I don't give a Damn "
    Lou

• annie1992
    13 years ago

dcarch, I love beets but I'm parting ways with you on the Meatloaf song. I like "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad".

Last night was wild rice and vegetable soup with some of the wild rice Teresa_mn sent me. Mother was at the house so I could help her download wedding pictures to get them printed, she has dial up and it's interminable.

I took a picture, I'll try to get it posted tonight.

RR, I've got to get back into healthy and low fat, far too much "grab something quick" and wedding food and planning over dinners out. I still have that 12 pounds I gained back, plus three more and I need to get rid of it. And yes, I know the holidays are coming up. Sigh.

Annie

• sunnyinwisc
    13 years ago

For some reason I had a craving for a Philly cheese steak!
    I made one for myself last night using Foodonastumps preference of sauteed onions, ribeye thinly sliced and sauteed, S&P and cheesewhiz! Very good!
    I love everybodies dinners and pictures and I often am inspired to recreate them. Thanks!

• jimster
    13 years ago

"Chicken Fingers made from Chicken Breasts! That’s what I called genetic engineering. "

Lou, didn't you see the chicken feet at the Reading Market? Chickens don't have fingers but they do have toes, which is close.

"I can't imagine eating off a cafeteria tray."

I'll bet Lou's house is so clean you could eat off the kitchen floor.

Jim

13 years ago

"Lou, didn't you see the chicken feet at the Reading Market? ---"

A little background info:
    The owner of that store loathe "Why did the chicken cross the road?" jokes.

"I'll bet Lou's house is so clean you could eat off the kitchen floor. "

David Hasselhoff must have a very clean kitchen floor.

dcarch

• annie1992
    13 years ago

OK, here's a picture of my soup. Nothing spectacular, just home canned chicken broth, wild rice and some vegetables that were hanging around in the fridge.

It was very good, with a slice of homemade bread, although I should have added less of the corn, it made it a little bit sweeter than I wanted. Still, very nice indeed.

{{gwi:2066640}}

What's for supper tonight? I dunno, I haven't decided yet, I've been out raking leaves and cleaning the gutters because tomorrow the farrier comes and it's supposed to rain for several days anyway. Maybe leftover soup or a home grown sweet potato in the microwave...or both.

Annie

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Just peeped in for a minute.

Dcarch - - Jim
    I don't know who is worser but

I'm probabay the worsest.

Anyways, I just made one of my small Pizza's with,
    1/2 Pepperoni and 1/2 Italian Sausage.

These 10 inch Pizza's fit perfect in my Toaster Oven.

LOU

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Don't expect me to take pictures regularly! I'm not a plater, we just enjoy our food.
    However, tonite we had beef stew and biscuits. I've made a few biscuit recipes and found one that I really like. Having butter in the freezer is easy, when using the grater to cut it into the flour. So in minutes the biscuits are in the oven.
    Usually I roll the dough with the rolling pin, but tonite I patted it out, and left them thicker. I think they look good! And tasted fantastic, might I add. lol

• jimster
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful biscuits and the photography is great. I like the lighting and the interesting perspective. I can almost reach out and grab one. Please post pics often as possible. Don't worry too much about plating. Heck, I've seen food plated on a cafeteria tray that looked good to me.

Jim

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim.
    I also took pics of my kitchen and my new early birthday present, Brigette my KA mixer; over at the Table.
    I'm more used to taking pics of my furkids, outdoor scenery and Brigette than food!!

I completely agree about the cafeteria tray. Loved the colour with the chicken.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Great looking biscuits jasdip

I agree jimster and jasdip. Plating is great.... but sometimes good food and good friends are even better. Appearances can be deceiving in more ways than one.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jasdip: Thanks.
    I agree with Jim, if they are like your Biscuit Photo, take pictures.
    Did you notice I took a bite out of the one on the left.
    I have a Question about vermicomposting. I'll send an email tommorroww.
    Lou

• jimster
    13 years ago

"...Brigette my KA mixer..."

That's funny! You are like my daughter, who affectionately names all sorts of inanimate objects -- the refrigerator, the car, etc. Her recliner is named Henry."

Jim

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jim:
    Her Car should be named Henry, especially if it is a Ford.

how about Lasy Boy for the Recliner.LOL !!!
    LOU

I'd have to call my mixer " Mean Machine "

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I dunno about naming a recliner Jim.

"Whatcha doing?"
    "nothing, just sprawled out on Henry."

Many, many interesting conversations come to mind!

• jude31
    13 years ago

I don't do pictures and I don't know how interesting our dinner will sound but it sure was good. Poofed Hungry Man's stew (Annie, for some reason I think you'd like that), pinto beans, baked sweet potato and coleslaw, need I say cornbread!
    Tomorrow we'll start with a clean slate.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

jude, it sounds delicious to me. I was at the farm today, the farrier came. Dave put four little pigs in a box stall in the barn and they got out, so we chased them around a bit, probably ran off 100 pounds of feed, LOL. I cut all the brussels sprouts and brought them home and I'm tired, cold, still a bit damp. Supper was an egg sandwich, wish I had some stew!

Maybe tomorrow night...

Annie

• jimster
    13 years ago

Tonight it was Eggs Florentine. It tasted good but man, was it ever labor intensive! So many operations and dirtied pots! I cheated by using a hollandaise sauce mix but made a potato pancake instead of using an English muffing for the base. So no net gain in ease there. I used Swiss chard instead of spinach. That was very good. I saw Swiss chard (bietola) on menus in Northern Italy much more frequently than spinach. The garnish is prosciutto.

Jim

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I picked up a couple of minute steaks last nite that were marked down. Had never made them before. I sauteed a pile of onions, quickly fried the steak, and rice, as per hubby's request.
    The onions and steak were well-seasoned with my homemade seasoning....kind of a southwestern flavour. It was delicious.

I mentioned recently receiving Brigette in an earlier post. I initiated her by making my Lemon Bundt cake. It freezes extremely well and we had a couple slices for dessert.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Nice cake!

I've been working crazy hours the last couple of weeks, including the weekend, so not much cooking but did manage Julia Child's French Onion Soup on Sunday. omg - That's good stuff!

Lori

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Had to rescue the WFD Post it was headed for that Big Black Hole in outer space.

Jim:
    The Eggs Florentine look great.
    So that's what I've been making all this time.
    Didn't know the name. lol!!!

Jasdip:
    Nice cooking and Baking. Do you deliver ???
    I keep trying . No takers yet.

Haven't had Onion Soup in ages. looks goooood !

Early tonight I had some Rigatoni, with a piece of Sausage
    and Braciolli.

I was so good I had to have another helping, with Sausage and Meatballs. Don't usually do that !!!

LOU

• ann_t
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice looking biscuits Jasdip. And I love lemon pound cake. Looks like you put "Brigette" to good use.

Lori, I now have a craving for onion soup. Looks delicious.

Jim, I wouldn't have minded your eggs Florentine for dinner.

I was busy on my days off this week, so didn't do a lot of cooking. One night we shared an Antipasto plate.

Tonight I made Bang Bang Prawns.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Oh yum, I want Jim's eggs florentine, Lori's soup, Ann's shrimp, a piece of jasdip's cake. Ann, you can keep the olives, LOL.

Not dinner, but breakfast, I made some gingerbread pancakes, one of my favorites since Deb ssent me the waffle maker that's NOT shaped like farm animals, LOL. I topped them with Nancy's maple apple jam and had a cup of fresh coffee. There's some snow still on the ground here, and I'm sitting in front of my small electric heater with Cooper, sharing brunch.....

{{gwi:2066656}}

I'm thinking of turning on the oven, making some wild rice bread and maybe the scalloped sweet potatoes that Gina posted in the new reipces thread...

Annie

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I'm with Annie on this....I want Jim's eggs florentine, Lori's soup, Ann's shrimp, a piece of jasdip's cake too! And waffles for dessert. YUMMO!!!!

Tonight we are having a couple of friends over (6 adults, 6 kids) for cocktails and letting the kids stay for a sleepover. So here is the menu.....

BBQ shrimp wrapped in bacon
    Mushroom duxelle in phyllo cups
    kielbasa in jezebel sauce (woodies inspiration)
    radishes with sweet butter on crusty bread
    parsnip twigs
    pita chips with white bean & raab dip
    steamed veg with roasted pepper aioli
    weeds surprise olive balls
    edamame with soy sauce
    popcorn
    chicken tenders
    taquitos

I will get pics if I remember.... it may easily end up mayhem here! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I am dieting so it means portion control and with single me that means I make one or two dishes a week and the rest is leftovers, leftovers, leftovers. Last weekend I made enchiladas, and even with BF eating some and taking some home, if I'm lucky I will have the last portion today or tomorrow. I made a great stir fry with thai marinated tofu last night but I can't find my camera. Another great dinner was Avgolemeno soup with pita bread and spinach dip. My favorite salad this week has been romaine, red cabbage (my sub for radicchio), celery, grape and feta, with a raspberry vinagrette. Would be great with walunts added but there's that diet thing!!

Everyone's food looks great. AnnT what are those fried golf ball looking things on the anitpasto plate?? That photo is really incredible! Welcome to WFD posting Jasdip, your baked goods are marvelous! And Lou's downhome italian always rings my bell.

Annie I need to get some of that jam made. You know I'm STILL eating your chocolate cherry sauce on my waffles, 1.5 years later. It takes me so darn long to use stuff up, which is why my rate of cooking and trying new things is so slow!

Wish me luck, I'm making roast pork loin, mashed potatoes and braised cabbage for a nostalgia dinner for BF tonight. I have done all these dishes separately before. Sorry no pics until I find my camera. My food ain't that glamourous looking anyway. How do you spell glamorous?

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Hi Pinky :
    I'm going to make another Down Home, Italian Dish, in about 2 hours.
    Here is the Recipe.
    LOU
    Aglio e Olio con Pepe Russo ( Oil & Garlic w Red Peppers )
    I simmered Italian Style Roasted sliced Red Bell Peppers and 5 Garlic cloves chopped, in 1/4 cup of Olive Oil.

Loaded it with Chopped Parsley, Basil Flakes ( the top fell off, so I added a little more Basil ) pinch of Oregano, onion powder , Black pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper. A pinch of Old Bay.

Meanwhile , I cooked 1/2 pound of spaghetti #9, drained it and put the pepper mess on this and mixed it.
    To make a Sauce:
    While the spaghetti was hot I beat an egg in 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of Chicken Soup Base,
    Or ½ cup of Chicken Stock .
    and dumped this on top and mixed it good,
    with some grated Parmesan Cheese and salt to taste. Added more Cheese when served.
    A 20 minute meal. It was delicious!!! You have to try it.
    LOU

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I was remiss in congratulating everyone on their fantastic photos and meals!

Lori that soup looks to die for, and Lou I love your chicken fingers! I get hungry every time I see that pic.

Ann_t, your antipasto plate looks scrumptious.....so fresh.
    I'm assuming those are cheese stuffed prunes, at least that's what they look like to me!

No pics from me today. Hubby is out playing with his band today so Brigette and I made my chocolate-chip granola cookies. I also just took an apple crisp out of the oven. I'll make salmon patties (canned Sockeye on sale here for 99cents! Unheard of)
    I'll peel and chunk some potatoes and roast them. Probably carrots for a veg.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Just a couple of photos, sorry for the crappy composition, I was actually trying to reach between the kids to get a shot! LOLOLOL!

BBQ Bacon Wrapped Shrimp - a keeper!

Cranberry Wensleydale, Liptauer, Smoked Gouda, Pita Chips, Bruschetta

Steamed Veg and Aioli

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I am stuffed! Seriously...just from looking at and reading about all these great meals!

Ann, I've never heard of Bang Bang Prawns, but those look good! What is the sauce made of?

Alexa, that shrimp looks really delicious, too!

Tonight we had Swedish Meatballs (Ann's recipe) over wide egg noodles with stemed green beans and buttered beets. No pictures this time, but it sure was good!

I have two loaves of Ohiomom's Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread rising, too. Hope they turn out, I am terribly chellenged when it comes to yeast breads!

Linda

13 years ago

Jim, wonderful dish and well photographed. You should give the dish a new name. It’s Not quite Eggs Benedict, and not yet Eggs Florentine.

Jasdip, Lemon bundt cake is almost three dimensional. I can feel the perfect texture on my tongue.

Lori, I don’t like French Onion Soup with too much cheese. Yours look just right.

Lou, Rigatoni and a glass of wine! It makes life worth living. And thanks for the recipe for the spaghetti. Looks like a winner.

Annie, gingerbread pancakes with jam for brunch with Cooper, lucky dog. In my next life I know what I want to be.

lpinkmountain , roast pork loin, mashed potatoes and braised cabbage for a nostalgia dinner for BF. Are you testing the theory about the fastest way to the man’s heart?

Ann_t, even when you are not really cooking, you are still coming up with amazing dishes. The Bang Bang Prowns is wow wow impressive.

Alexa, you are right. The bacon wrapped shrimp is a keeper. But I don’t think you can keep it long. It will be gone in seconds.
    -----------------------------------

No fancy recipes tonight. Just steak, chayote and rice.

Dcarch

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Beautiful colors, dcarch, and the steak is nicely rare. What makes the rice that magenta color, I'd attribute it to beets, if there was a beet anywhere on the plate!

Annie

13 years ago

Annie, Ooops! you busted me! :-)

I had beets for lunch, and didn't wash the pot before using it for the rice.

I promise I wouldn't do it againt. :-)

dcarch

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yeah, whatever.

Really, what does make the rice that color? The Princess would love it, pink rice for Her Highness...

Annie

13 years ago

That's what I did. I made beets for lunch, there was a little juice left in the pot. The juice was delicious. So I stirred the rice in the pot and the rice came out like that.

dcarch

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LOL, I thought you were just kidding! I love beets, though, so I'd like beets with rice, probably.

Here I've spent the day cooking and baking. I made some herbed wild rice bread with some of the wild rice Teresa_mn sent me:

{{gwi:2066664}}

I roasted a duck, using Ann T's method of first boiling to get rid of some fat, then high heat roasted it, glazed with some of my home canned cranberry/grapefruit marmalade:

{{gwi:2066665}}

I baked several butternut squash to puree for the freezer, so I had some of that:

{{gwi:2066666}}

And finally, I made the scalloped sweet potatos that Gina posted on the new recipes thread:

The sweet potatoes were very good, the caramelized onions and pieces of bacon were far preferable for me than the brown sugar/marshmallow topping the kids like. Yeah, I know, that's two orange vegetables and nothing green, but it was still good, plus there were herbs in the bread, LOL.

The bread had parsley and thyme and the liquid was chicken broth. The recipe called for a teaspoon of chicken bouillion powder, which I never use for anything, so I just used home canned chicken broth. Cooper begged for seconds while it was still hot from the oven, with melted butter.

Annie

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Annie - that wild rice bread looks amazing! I might have to try making some if you post the recipe!

Teresa

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Teresa, it's very good, savory and substantial, I think it would make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich. Here's the recipe I used. I never have wine, so I just used more chicken broth for that, and I never use bouillion or soup base because of the salt and I sure wasn't going to go buy some for a loaf of bread, so I used 1 1/4 cups of homecanned chicken broth. I made it in the bread machine on the dough cycle, added the wild rice when I got the "beep" for the add in, shaped the loaves on my half sheet pan and baked them on the pan.

Wild Rice Bread

4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 packages active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
    1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1 cup cooked wild rice
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup dry white wine or water
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Stir together 2 cups of the flour, the yeast, parsley, thyme, and wild rice in a large mixing bowl; set aside.

Heat and stir water, wine or water, butter or margarine, sugar, bouillon, and salt in a medium saucepan just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F), butter almost melts, and bouillon dissolves. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (45 minutes to 1 hour).

Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.

Shape each half of the dough into a 6-inch round loaf, tucking edges underneath. Place loaves 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (30 to 40 minutes).

Using a sharp knife, cut an X in the top of each loaf. Bake in a 375 degrees F oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers (if necessary, cover loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Remove bread from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Calories 76, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 3 mg, Sodium 55 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 2 g.

Definitely a keeper recipe, this would be really good with soup in the winter too.

Annie

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Last night was an early dinner, since I had not had much lunch:

Sticky Chicken roasted thighs - large thighs baked at 300 F. for 2 hours; the skin was yummy and so were the completely done thighs

roasted butternut squash - done right alongside the thighs

sauteed cabbage

biscuits/dessert, biscuits with orange blossom honey

• jimster
    13 years ago

"You should give the dish a new name. It’s Not quite Eggs Benedict, and not yet Eggs Florentine."

Adam and Eve on a mattress?

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Well, the pork loin roast dinner was good but I need to work on it. BF got two pork loin roasts on sale (a 2 for the price of 1 deal) so I not only have 3/4 of the first roast left over, I have another one in the freezer. This roast was big, not like the little sausage shaped ones I'm used to. I did it high heat on 425 for 40 min. We tested it at 30 min and it was not done in the middle. I marinated it for half a day in wine, cider and veg. broth with some pickles onions and their juice thrown in. The roast was a tad on the dry side IMHO. I'm wondering since it was such a thick roast if I should have done it at a lower temp., or if I should have chopped it up and braised it somehow? Anyway, the sauce I made with it (roasted grapes, reduced marinade, which had sage in it, and some homeade apricot thyme liqueur and some Penzeys "Mural of Flavor" and Lemon Pepper seasoning) was good so it was OK for a first try. BF also got asparagus on sale so we had that instead of the cabbage, it was OK but overdone, I roasted it. Also mashed potatoes yukon gold with buttermilk and some s&p. Too much "p" for my taste but BF liked it. I am going to try dumplings with the leftovers.

Wondering what I can do (besides stir fried rice which I have thought of) with a leftover pork roast. I'm thinking some kind of soup, maybe potato kale . . . ?

• slowlane
    13 years ago

The soup sounds good, lpink, and stir fry, too, but you can also do pork fried rice or pull the pork (or chop it up), heat it in bbq sauce and make sandwiches. When my kids were little, one of their favorite leftover meals was left over pork roast chopped up, heated in gravy and served over rice.

• jimster
    13 years ago

Pinky,

I have two suggestions for the leftover pork, carnitas and pozole.

For carnitas, cut the pork in 3/4" cubes and fry in a good amount of oil until well browned all over. Carnitas can be served in several ways. Tacos are good. Fold two warm corn tortillas in half and fill with carnitas. Add whatever hot sauce or salsa you like. Carnitas can also be served on a plate with accompaniments such as rice and frijoles or they can be used in burritos. Carnitas are awfully good for such a simple thing.

See if your grocery has canned hominy in the Goya foods section. If so look up (or ask for) a recipe for Pozole, a Mexican soup containing cubes of pork in broth with hominy and garnished with raw vegetables a bit like Vietnamese pho. Very good.

Jim

• lindac
    13 years ago

sliced cold lean pork makes an awesome sandwich meat...much better than anything in a "package". Little lettuce, bit of mayo some mustard and a couple of pickle slices on some rye bread....umm yum!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Lots of good suggestions for the pork, thanks! I have homminy 'cause I occasionally make posole sans meat, so shouldn't be too difficult to make it with meat.