Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you use for a kitchen timer?

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 23:44

I was just thinking about my terrible timer and experiences with them and wondering what other people use. My microwave doesn't have a timer (it talks and has a bread maker, but no timer function, how silly). I had a manual dial timer similar to the one picture below, but it got wet and stopped working. I bought the one picture below... I tried to wash it with a damp cloth and the numbers came right off. So annoying! Same thing happened to my grandmothers oven knob one time when she was cleaning the stove. She said she didn't get a new knob because she never looked at the numbers even when they were there! Then I got this little electronic one (used the fluorescent light setting on the camera in that pic, since that's what's in the kitchen... really enjoying your tutorials, Sharon!). The electronic one is nice because it sticks to the fridge with a magnet, but there's no "down" button, so if you pass the mark when entering the time, you have to start all over much like many alarm clocks.

I may resort to using an online timer like the one I linked to and just not worry about having a real one!

What do you use?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: my next timer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you use for a kitchen timer?

I have a timer built into my oven panel..but usually I use my OVR microwave timer..because I can still use the microwave too.

o

My favoret timer died....
And Peppi gave me a nifty one byt my son who has "rock band hearing loss" appropriated it because hes aid that was the only timer he could hear...
so now I use the microwave....but If I step outside or into the basement, I can't hear it.
I did have a wonderful clip on timer...I would clip it to my collar when Iw as going to be away from the kitchen and something was cooking.
I remember once I walked over to the neighbors to say something....and he said..."I don't know what you are timing but it;'s almost done! "LOL!
It took a hearing aid battery....the one I have now takes a AAA and it's heavy and I don't like the functions.
Linda C

o

My favorite one was like the one I used in the classroom for 10 years. It finally died.

My old microwave had a timer, and I used that a lot.
The microwave I have now does not have a timer.

One of my friends gave me a battery-operated digital read-out one. That didn't even last 3 months!!!!

My next favorite was modeled after my classroom timer---one of those "spring winding" ones. I think some folks call it a mechanical timer, maybe? It lasted about 3 years. I loved it so much I kept it. I should have purchased more than one of them!

DH got me a timer that is as close to my old "spring winding" one that he could fine, but the back fell off the second time I used it, and the little handle for moving the face around to the correct number on the dial isn't big enough to get a decent hold for turning the dial face. VERY frustrating!

When I was between working timers, I'd use my cell phone. Yeah, it's a paperweight AND a kitchen timer! ha ha

In the photo, the timer on the left (Oster) is the one that lasted close to 3 years. The timer on the right (Taylor)...well, it works for now, but you can see I've included the "back" of the timer in the photo, for demonstration purposes--because it FELL OFF THE SECOND TIME I USED IT!!!!

Photobucket

o

The Lux timers you used to be able to buy like the picture directly above used to last forever, but it sounds like those have cheapened up a lot too between Bobby and Sooz' experiences.

I use the one on my microwave a lot (probably more than the microwave itself!) (I had no idea some microwaves didn't have this; if I ever have to replace mine I'll have to make sure it does since I don't know what I would do without it!) and I also sometimes use one that's part of one of those probe meat thermometers, it's electronic.

I could check out this online one since I'm always online anyway. I imagine my Iphone has one as well, or at the very least I could find an app to fill the bill! LOL

o

I have a timer on the MW (my primary timer) and another one on the oven (which I rarely use), but I have two I can carry around with me, which I use so I don't forget I'm cooking something! If I'm not in the kitchen, I have trouble hearing the other two timers.

o

I have two timers built into my stove and I use them. I can hear them from anywhere in the house. Guess I have good hearing 'cause DH can't hear them in the adjoining room.

o

I use the stopwatch feature of my watch for everything. I multitask, go in and out the kitchen when I cook. So it's important for me to be able to know when I have to return to the kitchen. I wear my watch 24/7 and it works perfectly fine for me.

o

Bobby, when my last timer died about 5 years ago I went looking for another one. Most timers only buzz or ring for up to 60 seconds which doesn't do much good if you are in the shower when it goes off or outside. I wanted a timer that continues to sound until I turn it off. I found exactly what I was looking for in a restaurant supply store. They sell these timers to chefs and I've noticed one in the kitchen on Top Chef the other night.

It is made by Cooper and it looks like a Fisher Price toy. You can buy one here for $38.00 which is about half what I had to pay for mine. If mine ever dies I will replace it with another one immediately.

o

Microwave, stove, and a little digital clip on to clip to me for when I wander (I've also used my cell phone). I have to be careful with the stove because it has two: a timer, and a "cook time" setting that'll turn the oven off after a certain amount of time.

Sometimes I'll also use the delayed start feature on my microwave and just skip the timer all together: I do this when I want something to be nuked at the very end, and will be taking the food out all together. I know it's all finished when the microwave finishes...

o

Pier One has some really cute retro timers ($6) I want but I don't need one. I use the oven timer.

o

My favorite out of my choices at home is a Polder Clock/Timer/Stopwatch. It has a nice long cord on it so you can wear it around your neck, which is my favorite feature. I tend to wander off task, so when I slip outside and dough is rising, the Polder around my neck reminds me I need to check the rise of the dough.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookware.com

o

I set the alarm on my cell phone.

o

My stove top has a timer but I also have about 4 magnetic ones on the fridge. Each came from the Dollar Store and work great.

o

It is so easy to get distracted. Rising dough just slips my mind sometimes if I don't carry a timer. I have the same Polder timer as Grainlady. When around my neck, it gets bumped and stops without my notice. But, otherwise I love it.

Many times I need one with multiple timers I can carry with me. Any suggestions?

o

Just a thought...if the timer Ann T likes is made by Cooper (thanks for the link!), maybe this other "mechanical timer" made by Cooper will be better than the cruddy fall-apart one I have by Taylor. The Cooper one is on the same page Ann linked to...scroll down a bit, or click the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooper Mechanical Timer

o

For an accurate timing, I use the timer from the microwave. Otherwise, these are the timers that I use...

Photobucket

o

I rely on the smoke alarm.

o

Ditto on the Polder kitchen timer that Grainlady recommends.

It has a magnet on the back of it, and I keep it stuck on the fridge most of the time; but when you need to leave the kitchen, just put the cord around your neck and go do what you need to do.

One nice thing is that it has a 'negative countdown' timer function that then converts into a 'positive count up' timer automatically. Here's what I mean: say you want to time something for 20 minutes. Key in 2-0-0-0 and press start. It starts counting down 19:59 then 19:58 etc...when the 20 minutes elapses, it starts beeping and doesn't stop until you acknowledge it. But after it hits zero time, it starts counting upward, so you know how much time you have exceeded the original time programmed.

It's fairly intuitive, my imperfect description notwithstanding.

Here is a link that might be useful: polder kitchen timer

o

I am sorry if this is off-topic.

This is purely my own superstition, certainly not against the use of timers; whatever works for you is what you should do.

I believe that the best thing to do is not to use the timer for cooking.

Its best to determine when food is perfectly done by the look, smell, touch and sound.

It takes a little getting use to and practice.

I am curious how many chefs use timers, and I am not saying that I am the worlds best chef either. On the contrary, I have overcooked and undercooked food more than once. :-)

dcarch

o

Another vote for the Polder "timer-on-a-rope" that Granilady has, and that Arley linked to. So convenient to carry around if you are in the yard or upstairs, etc. Though not the prettiest fashion statement if you are hostng a holiday party, or cocktail party, or whatever, and are in your party clothes.

I also have an old West Bend digital triple timer on my counter. It's about 15-18 years old. I am worried it's eventually going to break, cause for me, it's the perfect timer. I like the way the buttons work, I like the sound of the alarm (loud enough to be heard, but not so loud to be annoying), I like the 3-timer configuration. BUT if you wanted to buy it now, West Bend has redesigned it, and now the West Bend triple timer is terrible; it doesn't lie flat on the counter, it has a lot of extra bells-and-whistles that make it confusing, it has a magnet that doesn't work, and a whole lot of other stuff. I am only telling you this in case you see the West Bend triple timer, and think it looks like a good thing to buy.

Having said all that, someone on Amazon said the "Daigger" timer is identical to my old wonderful West Bend. It certainly looks the same. If so, then try out the Daigger, though I have no personal experience with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daigger Triple Timer, the same as the old West Bend?

o

Dcharch, I just use the timer as a guideline so I don't forget about what I'm cooking (rather absent minded you know). I still look at the food and sometimes measure its temperature to know if it's done or not. I do not like a timer that keeps on ringing after the time is done until the user stops it. I want to know about it and then have the silly thing shut up and quit annoying me, I'll get to it when I get my hands out of the sudsy water or my something else out of/off of whatever else it might be in or on.

Thanks for letting me know what the clamp on the timer is for. I'd never even have thought about taking it with me and clipping it to myself.

I found a neat timer that is good for people who need to time lots of things at once, but I haven't quite decided if it's tacky or cute!

Ann, I recall timers like that from way back when I had my first job as a dishwasher in a fine dining restaurant.... ahh the memories! I still think it should have a minus or back button!

'Tis interesting to see all the different timers.

Here is a link that might be useful: stove shaped timer...

o

Hey, I'm another one who uses the timer so I don't forget about what I'm cooking! I already have the "look, smell, touch and sound" down pretty well.

It's not a matter of being able to tell when the food is done or ready, but more of a comment on my ability to focus totally on something else while something is in the oven or on top of the stove, etc. I just lose track of time if I'm immersed in a good novel, or if I'm sewing or on the computer or talking on the phone, etc. I need the help of a timer to redirect me! :O)

o

I use a timer so I don't forget to check, too. I used to use the timer on my stove until it started beeping only once (it used to go every minute until I shut it off). Now I use a little Pampered Chef timer that clips onto my pocket. Very handy.

o

I had a couple of those timers with the dial, and I have one on the microwave but I can't hear it if I'm not in the kitchen. Peppi gave me one of those little digital ones, but The Princess appropriated it.

So, I just check the clock, although I like Petaloid's suggestion of the smoke alarm.

Even when I use a timer, I still check to make sure my food is done, I'd never just rely on the timer to tell me, I don't think too many others would either.

Annie

o

Like Annie, I don't use the timer to tell me when something is done. I need it to remind me that I need to check on something, whether it is something in the oven, on top of the stove or dough rising, etc... For me the most important thing on a timer is that it rings loud and non stop until I turn it off. Most only ring for a maximum of 60 seconds which just isn't sufficient.

Ann

o

Great links every body! I'll have to wish for one for Christmas. :)

Meanwhile, I use my timer on my watch, that way, I have it with me when I go out to get some herbs from the garden... and get side tracked.

Moni

o

LOL, petaloid!

o

My micro doesn't have a timer, but it does have a Power button. So, I do Power 0, then length of time. Now it's a timer.

o

I use the timer on my stove primarily. I like the fact that is annoys me until I do something about it. Sometimes I'm napping and if it only sounded once, I'd just ignore it and have to default to Petaloid's plan!!!
Second is my digital timer/thermometer that sits on top of the stove panel.

Can you believe I've never even thought about using the timer on my micro?? It's just that annoying thing that comes on when I'm trying to reset the clock (usually early morning, or after a power outage). LOL

Often I need more than one when I'm canning as I'll have two canners going at once. I really should get one to clip on me, I'm definitely a member of the "Sidetracked Club".

I don't use it to judge "doneness" either, just to tell me to go check! It's amazing how often I run to the garden to grab one quick thing and end up repotting, picking, pruning or just gazing.......

Deanna

o

I mostly use the timer on my electric range. There are times when I use two timers, if need be. Then I use a wind up type and my range. I have a Kitchenaid one also, but always forget how to work it unless I get the instructions out!

Sue

o

I generally just watch my clock. If I've got things in the oven or on the stove, I'm almost always in the kitchen doing other things and can keep an eye on whatever it is. I do set the timer on the microwave if I'm going upstairs to get onto the computer (time bandit) but I generally try not to do that if I've got anything that's time-sensitive going on.

o

Bobbie:
you could hook it up to a Fog Horn ???

You will hear it everywhere !!!
Lou

o

If it weren't for heating water and the timer, I wouldn't use my microwave at all! :) I use that in the kitchen, and my cell phone elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if anyone uses a timer to tell them if something is done. It's more of a time management tool. No need for me to stand around in the kitchen waiting for bread to bake when I can be reading, doing laundry, or mucking about in the garage. But I tend to get fixed on the thing I'm doing and have been known to forget there's bread rising or something in the oven.

o

Update... I received two kitchen timers for my Christmas. One mechanical, one digital, both made by "Everyday Living"--never heard of the manufacturer.

The mechanical one failed first time out of the box. What a piece of carp!

The second one, battery operated, is faring better...so far... we'll see.

o

Like others, I don't rely on a timer for doneness. I use one to remind me that something is in the oven. With my crazy schedules, it would not be unusual for me to forget.

o

Yikes! I'd burn the house down without a timer. It goes something like this...

Put chicken on to sear. Oh drats, I've got to use the facilities. Why didn't I do that before I started?! Well, I've got time for a quick run. While washing hands in the restroom I decide the sink needs a quick clean-up so I grab cleaner under the sink & give a fast spritz & wipe down. Then I notice the towels need freshening so I put clean towels on the hangers & grab the dirty ones. Well, I should just take these straight to the laundry room & start the washer....Hmmmm, do you smell something BURNING???!!!

I use a cheap mechanical timer but I'd really like to have one with a cord to hang around my neck. In the summer, I tend to wander outside also & can't hear the timer.

/tricia

o

I use my OTR microwave timer because I can actually hear it from another room and it keeps going and going and going.

o

I use my range timer the most and sometimes I use an inexpensive one and then I have a Kitchen Aid one I seldom use. Yes, sometimes you need more than one time. Something in the oven and the dog has to have a pill at a certain time, so two timers are handy.

Sue

o

I use the timer on my oven not only for cooking but as a reminder for all kinds of things. If I need to dry a few items in the dryer, for only 5 minutes, I use my oven timer to remind me. I use it as a reminder quite often for various situations...I've even set it to remind myself to do something and then when it went off I'd have to think hard about what I was reminding myself to do, but I always remember, finally.

o

I often use my kitchen timer for timing how long my children have used the computer and watched TV for the reason that i have time limits for them doing so per day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Timer Alarm

o

Re Microwaves not having timers...

My microwave, a 1989 Kenmore model, doesn't specifically have a timer, either.

In order to set mine to timer, I have to set the time, and then set the power level to ZERO. This shuts the cooking system down and just allows it to function as a count down timer.

For those of you who don't have timers on your nukers, do they possibly work the same way?

As for a regular timer, though, I normally use the electronic timer on my stove.

o

There is no better timer to use than a digital timer in the kitchen. These nifty little inventions tend to give you stop and start capabilities. Some are even wall mounted and water resistant. They do require batteries but that is not a problem when you realize all the capabilities most have.

Here is a link that might be useful: TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE : DIGITAL KITCHEN TIMERS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here